Profile for The King > Reviews

Time and Time Again
Time and Time Again
by Ben Elton

5.0 out of 5 stars A great week of listening, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Time and Time Again (Hardcover)
I finished reading (listening to) The Rosie Project and enjoyed it so much that I had decided it was the best listen/read I have had of the year however I thought that as I had a few days before returning to the salt mine, I would listen to Time and Time Again. What a fabulous book. A great story so well crafted and yet unpredictable with some wonderful and some sinister characters.
So as the year closes out, I have decided it has been a wonderful week of listening pleasure.
Enjoy

Bill

Hachette Atlas of French Wines and Vineyards
Hachette Atlas of French Wines and Vineyards
by Pascal Ribereau-Gayon

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill's Review, 3 Mar. 2011
This is my favourite wine book. Having been to many wonderful French vineyards,
I like to sit on my lounge, with my a glass of my latest French wine and sip away
reading about the region, the terroir, looking at the fabulous maps and pictures
and enjoying the insightful annecdotes that abound the book. I feel transported,
educated, and chilled.
One of my favourite annecdotes is based on, what are the four German (Yes) families
that emigrated to France and started Champagne houses? I love asking French people
this question. And the answer, buy the book, however they are big brands!
The book also helped me understand what wine makers are meaning when they say that
a wine is a 'Bordeau style' wine. The implications are just as relevant to Rhone
and other regions.
Buy it, laze with it, interigate it and then enjoy wines just that much more!

A Good Year
A Good Year
by Peter Mayle
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars A merry journey, 7 Jan. 2007
This review is from: A Good Year (Audio CD)
I found this a most charming 'listen'. Through Tim Pigott-Smith's wonderful voice, my drive disappeared as my mind wandered to french vineyards, sumptuous glasses of wine, homely places & a little scandal thrown in. A fairly simple but engaging tale which whirled away the challenges of the M1.