Profile for Chas Lawson > Reviews

Ronnie: The Autobiography
Ronnie: The Autobiography
by Ronnie Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars It's only Rock and Roll but I like it., 29 Jan. 2008
Ronnie Woods, a member of one of the worlds greatest bands, reveals his life story so far. From his gypsy start, to the bands he's played in and his time as an artist. This autobiography is great. I could not put it down once I started reading it. The book is a wonderful read and you can't help but to tell the nearest person some of the stories Ronnie is telling you as you read it. There are many laughs throughout this book, as well as shocks, and by the end of it you'll be wanting to buy yourself a guitar so you can start your own band. Fantastic book.

Gordon Ramsay's Playing with Fire
Gordon Ramsay's Playing with Fire
by Gordon Ramsay

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't get burned, 30 Nov. 2007
You shouldn't be misguided into thinking that this is an autobiography follow up to Humble Pie. The book is about how to start, run and keep a business. In the book Gordon reveals ideas on how to run a successful business and maintain the high standards to keep it at the top. It is a great read and he also tells us a bit more about his staff which is good because, as Gordon says, he wouldn't be where he is today without them. I think that for this book to be enjoyable to you, you either have to be a Gordon Ramsay fan or are interested in the running of a business. If you're not, then it could get a bit boring for you. If you are a fan though, this is a great book and a good follow on from Humble Pie.

White Slave: The Autobiography
White Slave: The Autobiography
by Marco Pierre White

5.0 out of 5 stars I was humbled, 7 Nov. 2007
When I read Gordon Ramsay's 'Humble Pie', I didn't think another autobiography would come close to touching it. I was wrong. Marco Pierre White's 'White Slave', is a great autobiography and comes in equal to Ramsay's. Marco Pierre White is a legend chef, a hard working kitchen artist and a private man. This book starts (like any other autobiography) with his childhood and he takes you for a ride through the ups and downs of his life right up until 2006. As soon as I started this book I could not put it down. Every chance I had I would pick it up and carry on reading. Marco really knew how to grab hold of the reader and keep them with him on his journey when he started to write this book, and the only time I was disappointed was when I finally finished it. I would highly recommend this book to anybody. You get dragged into the book and are wanting more by the end. A top, top autobiography.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Shame about the title., 29 Oct. 2007
When I first picked up this book I thought it would be a sort of Doctor Who novel and set out wondering if it would be also a bit like back to the future! The book isn't really about time travel but love. It is a love story and a bloomin' good one at that. Yes there is time travel in there and it is cleverly done, but you shouldn't buy this book if you are a Doctor Who type who loves time traveling because that's not really what it's about. I highly recommend this book even though you keep going back every so often to remind yourself of things (without saying too much). The best book I've read in a long time.

Freddie Mercury a Life, in His Own Words
Freddie Mercury a Life, in His Own Words
by Freddie Mercury

4.0 out of 5 stars The Queen is Alive, 10 Oct. 2007
I am a massive Freddie Mercury fan and have a few books written by people about him. These books are good but there's nothing better than hearing words direct from the person that the book is actually about. And this is what this book is all about. I love it because it feels like he is speaking to the reader. Freddie was a very private man and rarely did interviews but this book takes the interviews he did and notes down the quotes he said. The quotes range from hilarious to sad, happy to extravagant, and many more. You know how he was feeling at each stage of his short lived life and the showman which lived inside him explodes onto the pages of this book. Believe me you will be repeating the quotes in this book to your friends and family. A great book for fans.

Jaws
Jaws
by Peter Benchley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fintastic, 10 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Jaws (Paperback)
A fantastic book. Slightly different to the film but the film had to change really for it to become the classic it is. Remember the book came first and it was written in the 70's. This would be a best seller if had been written this year! It is beautifully written and is the best read i have had since my Roald Dahl days. It is brilliant and if you are a Jaws film fan then you have to read this book.

The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
by Chris Moyles

2.0 out of 5 stars Moyles Sinks, 10 Oct. 2007
Not too good. I am a Chris Moyles fan on the Radio but I feel he wrote this book due to a publisher seeing pound signs. The book is painful because you spend most of your time wondering if you should finish it or not. I had high hopes for the book as I am a Yorkshire man and wanted this to make us look good. Now it just makes us look like we've never read a book never mind written one. Most of the book is about him telling you how he panicked about writing it and how he has so many words to write. By the time he's finished that story you're halfway through. He word counts all the way through and you feel as though he's not bothered and just wanted a book on the shelves. I'm not bothering to buy his second one and was in fact shocked when I heard he was writing another. I wonder how long it is? I'm sure he'll tell you all the way through it!

Totally Frank: The Autobiography of Frank Lampard
Totally Frank: The Autobiography of Frank Lampard
by Frank Lampard

3.0 out of 5 stars Frankly not too good, 10 Oct. 2007
I was a Frank Lampard fan until I read this book. He seems to spend all of his time in the book slagging off West Ham. He moans about how he is treated by other fans and seems to be just telling the reader that he isn't a bad man and everyone should love him. You might give him sympathy if he wasn't earning £90,000 a week. He tells of the bad newspaper stories about himself and tries to defend them whilst also admitting them. The book starts to get going in some areas but then it just goes back to him telling you how much he hates West Ham. I am not a Chelsea or West Ham fan so I'm not just a disgruntled fan giving a bad review. I am an England fan however and that is why I bought it. I now cringe whenever I see him on t.v. and almost feel sorry for how he's come across in this book. An average read.

Humble Pie
Humble Pie
by Gordon Ramsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Autobiography Ever, 10 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Humble Pie (Paperback)
This is the best autobiography I have ever read. You get involved with Gordon's life as he takes you through it. The man is a cooking machine and often gets a bad review by people who don't understand how hard it is to work to the top in a kitchen. The stories of his childhood, through to his upbringing and into the kitchen world is an eye opener as well as the background into his family, and for people who just think of him as a foul mouthed thug may change their minds after reading this book. I couldn't put it down and when I bought it for my brother he couldn't either. Top marks for a top man.