Profile for Timotheos > Reviews

Content by Timotheos

Timotheos "Timotheos" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Catholic Interlinear Old Testament Polyglot: Volume I Genesis, Exodus, and Leviticus in Latin, English, and Transliterated Greek and Hebrew

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful Greek lettering, 29 Nov. 2014
If they redid the accented Greek vowels so that they didn't stick out in that ridiculous manner (like a sore thumb), I'd consider purchasing the whole series.

GCSE Latin Anthology for OCR Students' Book
GCSE Latin Anthology for OCR Students' Book
by Peter Mcdonald

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for schools where books are handed down, 18 Jun. 2014
The book covers the GCSE Latin set texts for several years, so it will be useful for schools where books are passed down from one year to the next. But if you're buying this for yourself alone, you'll be probably be using only 20 or so of its 177 pages. Well-produced, with glossy pages, facing vocabulary, and a few sample questions. But there are no textual notes, no translations, and the introductory/bridging sections are kept to a bare minimum.

My copy was accompanied by a CD containing the verse readings. They are read with incredible exclamatory emphasis bordering on the fanatical. I found it very funny. What was even funnier were the names of audio tracks 22-48:

Okay | I've | cocked this up | but, | when | I | know | what | these | tracks | are | I'll | give | them | proper | names | maybe | If | I | can | be | bothered | O | the | effort | of | Latin!

SKG S1504A-150 Fast Boiler Energy Saving 1500W 1.5L Electric Kettle Stainless Steel Body

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than hopeless, 22 Dec. 2013
The model I received contained a Chinese power plug, so I had to purchase a socket adaptor to get it to work. One black mark. Then I noticed that it didn't sport the water gauge advertised, just a solid strip of black plastic. Two black marks. Then I observed that condensed steam ran through the handle and dripped out of its base. Three black marks. Then on the fourth day the heating element stopped working altogether (even though the light came on). Four black marks. Tomorrow I'm throwing it in the rubbish bin where it belongs. The only saving grace is that the seller refunded me in full. But of course that doesn't compensate me for all my wasted time.

Sapphire AMD HD7750 Ultimate 1GB Passive Full Retail PCI-E Graphics Card
Sapphire AMD HD7750 Ultimate 1GB Passive Full Retail PCI-E Graphics Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence is golden, 19 Mar. 2013
Bought this to replace the GeForce GTS 240 in my Dell Studio XPS 8000. Very pleased indeed. Fits perfectly. No problem that it occupies the height of two bays. Unlike my old card, it requires no internal wiring, as it draws all its power through the PCI-E slot. The recommended PSU wattage is 400+, but it seems generally agreed by the technical community on the Internet that 300W is sufficient (although not less), so I'm not anticipating problems with my 350W PSU.

Absolutely silent, unlike the GTS 240 whose internal fan becomes unpleasantly noisy even under the stress of a game like AoE3.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 2:08 PM BST

Bridgedale Woolfusion Summit Men's Sock - Navy, 9-11.5
Bridgedale Woolfusion Summit Men's Sock - Navy, 9-11.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 16 Mar. 2013
I wear these just to keep my feet warm in the house. They're cosy, yet robust. A previous similar pair from Bridgedale lasted 15 years of regular use. A good investment.

Mens SockShop Heat Holder Thermal Socks - 6-11 Mens - Black
Mens SockShop Heat Holder Thermal Socks - 6-11 Mens - Black
Offered by STRAIGHT2YOU

2.0 out of 5 stars Warm but short-lived, 16 Mar. 2013
I bought three pairs of these. They're cosy and warm. But sadly they don't last. They tend to moult, and what is worse, holes appear in the heels within months. Unless you only intend to put them on when sitting down, give these a miss and invest in woollen socks instead.

Brass Safety Switch Lamp Holder 10MM BC B22 With Shade Ring *** Made In UK ***
Brass Safety Switch Lamp Holder 10MM BC B22 With Shade Ring *** Made In UK ***
Offered by Classic Lighting

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy product, 9 Feb. 2013
This seems a solid, well-made product, and the black horizontal switch has a reassuringly firm click when turned on and off. Cheaper lamp holders may be problematic, as the springloaded cushion that holds the bulb firmly in place often gives up the ghost in my experience.

Be aware that the base section of this lamp holder has a 10mm not a 13mm (1/2") neck. If you want the latter, look for the 3.009.13 model rather than this the 3.009.10 model. However, if you do buy the wrong part by mistake, all is not lost, for you could continue to use the base section of your previous holder.

Fitting these things can be a little fiddly. But if one has a very slender screwdriver (including a slender shaft), reasonable close-up vision, and some patience, it's not too difficult.

The Greek Old Testament from the Septuagint (LXX) (Greek Edition)
The Greek Old Testament from the Septuagint (LXX) (Greek Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Protestant edition, 24 Dec. 2012
The text is well arranged for the Kindle. However, this is only a partial Old Testament, as it leaves out seven entire books that Protestants decided to excise from Sacred Scripture as 'apocryphal' - 1500 years after the Church was founded. These include Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, I Maccabees, and II Maccabees. Also missing are three chapters of Daniel and six chapters of Esther. Alas, Christians will need to look elsewhere.

A Level Mathematics for Edexcel: Core C1/C2
A Level Mathematics for Edexcel: Core C1/C2
by Peter Hind

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs errata list, 5 Sept. 2012
I have been using this book with my students. The presentation is good, the explanations effective, and the questions excellent. All in all, it has the making of a five star book. BUT there is a hiccough, and it's one which could cause a lot of annoyance and wasted time for students. The answers in the back contain far too many errors for comfort.

I remember reading this criticism before my purchase, and I can now confirm that in my copy (purchased in 2011) there are around 60 errors in the answers - and I mean actual errors, not simple formatting or precision deficiencies. Now if OUP were to publish an errata list, this would not be such a major problem. But they don't, and judging from my correspondence with them, they have no intention of doing so. For this reason, their book only justifies 4 stars at best.

Pearson's Edexcel Maths series directed by Keith Pledger is also excellent - certainly more colourful and glossy, and with a CD containing not just a copy of every page but a detailed analytical answer to every question. It's a good idea to cover both series, starting with this one, as the Pledger series is a little more demanding.

Programming F# (Animal Guide)
Programming F# (Animal Guide)
by Chris Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way into F#, 5 May 2012
F# is an absolutely fascinating language, but where does one start? I've looked carefully through all the F# books currently available, and in my view this is by far the best introduction to date. It's extremely clear, well organised and, most importantly, well-paced.

If you're at all like me, you'll want to clearly understand everything you read in a programming book in a linear manner. I just hate seeing code examples that muddy the water by incorporating language elements which will only be explained later in the book. Arguably, this practice is almost inevitable given the numerous differences that exist between F# and non-functional programming languages like C#. But it can be minimized, and this is exactly what Chris Smith succeeds (almost) in doing.

Yes, Don Syme's Expert F# 2.0 is superb, but it's not for the F# newbie, and his pedagogical technique isn't quite as good as Smith's. So read this first, and only then sit at the feet of the great mind behind F#! Robert Pickering's Beginning F# is also very good, but I don't agree with the publishers (Apress) that it's a beginner's book; I'd pitch it intermediate. You can also get all these books on the Kindle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3