Profile for Rusty the Hamster > Reviews

Content by Rusty the Hamster

Rusty the Hamster (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Hungry-Man
The Hungry-Man

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pint Sized Hero, 29 April 2014
This review is from: The Hungry-Man (Kindle Edition)
Ever wondered what your pet dog sees when they're looking in the corner of your living room? Or what they're barking at when there's nothing there? Well Louise West knows, because her doggie hero can see dead people. In fact, all dogs can and in this gripping and original story, our hound hero Harvey, sees the mother of all ghosts and he's threatening to hurt his mummy.

This is a really original story seen through the eyes of a pet dog and the love he shows his owner, Lily. This is a thrilling ghost story and a touching story of a pet's devotion to his mummy and the lengths he'll go to protect her. It's also really funny, when we see the world through Harvey's eyes, his Zoomie's with pal Bailey and his Wee wees.

The Hungry Man had me gripped until the end and I genuinely didn't know how it was going to end and whether Harvey would be successful in protecting his mummy. An original story that was very well produced and definitely worth downloading.

Sleep Tight
Sleep Tight

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
I've enjoyed all of Rachel Abbott's books so far and this one was no different. The plot zooms along nicely and I like that we get the different perspectives from the various characters. We have a great villain and enough twists to keep you turning to the end of the book.

We're with Tom again and I like following his life and his partner at work, Becky. We have a bit of a cliff hanger this time and I can't wait to find out about the mystery behind the intrigue of his brother. I like that we have references to the previous novels and the police procedural is enjoyable as well.

I would say that I'd like to hear more about Tom and Becky - a bit more background on Becky would be good as she looks to be a good character.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2014 11:12 PM GMT

Leger's Winter (The Leger Cat Sleuth Mysteries Series Book 4)
Leger's Winter (The Leger Cat Sleuth Mysteries Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Leger's on the Prowl Again!, 25 Dec. 2013
This is the fourth in the series of Leger, Cat Sleuth series and the quality has shown no sign of dropping yet. Leger's mysterious friend Winter goes missing and it's up to Leger to use his feline detective skills to find her.

There are some lovely new characters and after meeting Dave the Hedgehog, I shall not see the prickly little blighters in the same light again. Aw. The old friends are also back, including Ginger, and they are as entertaining as ever.

Lacey's high quality writing is also evident. The plot is tight and the writing entertaining. I love the little traits that she gives the animals and you won't look at your pets in quite the same light again. Download for an entertaining and fun read.

Cleaver Square (A DCI Morton Crime Novel Book 2)
Cleaver Square (A DCI Morton Crime Novel Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put it Down., 25 Dec. 2013
Well I downloaded this to read over Christmas and I have to say, it didn't last very long because I couldn't put the Kindle down! I love a good crime novel and this delivers in spades. I really appreciated the clever plotting in the Campbell brother's previous novel 'Dead on Demand' and this is a sequel/spin-off that doesn't disappoint.

We meet Detective Chief Inspector David Morton again and this time, he has to find the killer of a boy that has been found on Hackney Marshes whilst also being the victim of identity fraud and and annoyed wife in the process.

This is a tightly written and clever plot and is a real page turner. There is a lot of interesting detail as well and we see the criminal justice process in action; it is clear that a lot of research has been done to ensure an authentic feel to the story. However, the pace was also good and the action was at just the right level to keep me hooked. I hope we see more of DCI Morton as he is a great detective and I'd love to see this as a TV programme as I think it would work really well. More please!

Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus Book 19)
Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus Book 19)

5.0 out of 5 stars He's back on the force and back on form, 11 Nov. 2013
John Rebus is back again, again, but this time he's back on the police force and demoted down to DS, which his friend and comrade Siobhan, now a DI, likes to remind him of every so often. In jest of course.

He's really on form this time and I loved every minute of it. As ever, the plot revolves around current events that concern Scotland but with a killer plot to go with it. I liked that Rebus and Fox join forces, I wondered when that would happen and I hope that they continue to have adventures in the future as Fox just got a whole lot cooler. I hope the three of them stick around for a while, at least until Rebus finally retires, as Edinburgh will be a safer place with them around!

It's the little details that I love - Rebus is like a bloodhound when he's on a case but can also provide with some light relief, such as his insistence on biscuits in a meeting or asking out a woman in the most inopportune moment. You get to know the other characters quickly and then you rattle on with the plot, intelligent but without too much navel gazing. And you always know exactly what car everyone is driving as well, you can tell a lot about someone by the car they drive.

This is a rattlingly good story and November is now my favourite month, because it means there's another Rankin ready to download!

The Hairdresser of Harare
The Hairdresser of Harare

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple story, complex issues, 30 Oct. 2013
This came recommended to me and I'm glad he did because this is out of my normal remit of reading. But it's nice to come across something different and this was a pleasing read.

We see the story through the eyes of top hairdresser Vimbai and her relationship with male hairdresser Dumi in modern day Zimbabwe. We also experience what life is like in modern day Zimbabwe, including the corruption, the raging inflation and prejudice we find unacceptable these days.

I found this a simply told story, which was one of the reasons I liked it so much and one of the small problems I had as well. The characters were easy to understand and engage with, and the Minister was menacing enough to be a frightening villain. One of the characters I felt sympathy for was Maidai - Vimbai's put-upon house servant - the poor girl was destined to a life of servitude, and not seen as an equal human being. Which was probably the point. I saw the ending, I knew what would be revealed but I would have liked to have seen more of this and the other's prejudice examined in more detail. However, this is still a gripping and interesting tale and I would recommend downloading this.

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones series Book 3)
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars I've grown up, not sure Bridget has., 20 Oct. 2013
I was a fan of the earlier books in the 90s and 00s, but this late-coming ending to the trilogy didn't quite ring true for me in places. I knew about the big plot reveal from the press and I decided to make up my own mind and read it for myself.

Bridget has aged in real terms, so she's 51 now. A lot has changed in her life but she's still the same as she was when she was 35. That was one of the problems for me, she hasn't matured at all. I expect her to be scatty, but there were times when her ditsy behaviour became irritating. For example, while she was in business meetings, she was constantly texting her boyfriend or nanny. To be honest, I would have sacked as well.

Having said that, the last third of the book was enjoyable and it was well written overall. There were some funny moments, which compensated for the irritating bits. If you're a fan, worth reading for reference.

Leger's Eyes (The Leger Cat Sleuth Mysteries Series Book 3)
Leger's Eyes (The Leger Cat Sleuth Mysteries Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I see a cat-love-triangle forming?, 18 Oct. 2013
Leger steps up his sleuthing activities when a small child goes missing and it is up to him to find her. But it's Halloween and there are a lot of small children dressed as witches lurking around ...

He's back and he's as fun as ever. I love the little observations about cat behaviour, which are neatly woken around the plot of the missing child. The fancy dress and the episode in the tree were really funny but the mystery was intriguing and one I really wondered how Leger was going to be able to solve.

And then there's the continued mystery of Winter - now that is something I can't wait to read more about. Hurry up and write the next one Lacey, I want to know what happens next!

Crossing the Line: Losing Your Mind as an Undercover Cop
Crossing the Line: Losing Your Mind as an Undercover Cop

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept Me Up Late!, 15 Sept. 2013
I must blame this book for keeping me up at night and giving me a reading hangover! This is a gripping and honest account of a man's career in the Met and his desire to be an undercover officer. The pace and tone is very engaging and I really liked the journey of his career from probationer to the last days of his time as an undercover cop.

The key to this autobiography is in the detail. The vivid descriptions of Soho and the types of characters they would meet and then his transition to working undercover and all that entailed kept me turning the pages on my kindle. Mr Plowman is quite candid about the mistakes he made but despite this, he was a good police officer who quite rightly should be angered at his shoddy treatment by the Met during the latter days of his career. The descriptions of some of his operations were very interesting and the types of characters he would meet but as shocking as the description of his operational engagement with a paedophile, which wasn't entirely surprising as one would expect them to be evil, it was the attitudes that pervaded the offices of SO10 and lack of compassion for their fellow officers that made me sympathise with Mr Plowman the most.

A gripping read with interesting details of an officer in the Met and definitely worth downloading.

Merivel: A Man of His Time
Merivel: A Man of His Time

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jolly Good Merivel through the 17th Century, 13 Sept. 2013
I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw that there was a sequel to Restoration and so when I did, I downloaded it pronto. I remember reading Restoration many years ago and so just like Robert Merivel, my life has moved on as much as his had. We find the funny and flawed Merivel at his home Bidnold house with his beloved daughter Margaret.

This was a real page-turner for me. Seeing Merivel again was like revisiting and old friend. He was up to his tricks; getting into impossible situations, meeting strange people and romping his way through the last days of King Charles II. I liked the fact that Tremain made reference to the first novel, and that old characters such as Pearce was able to make an appearance. I was genuinely gripped and I needed to know what would happen at the end, and was satisfied by the ending.

I like the fact that Merivel is flawed, but ultimately, he appreciates the people who love him. But if Merivel is flawed, then some of the people he meets are more so. There are also some very funny moments, the badger tabards had me in fits. I liked that Tremain had a touch of the 17th style, such as capitalising the nouns, as well as the vernacular. A great novel and worth downloading, even if you haven't read Restoration.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8