Profile for ChrisW > Reviews

Content by ChrisW

ChrisW

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
ThruNite® Ti5 Cree LED 100 Lumens Compact AAA Penlight (Cool White)
ThruNite® Ti5 Cree LED 100 Lumens Compact AAA Penlight (Cool White)
Offered by ThruNite® Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Compact and bright., 5 Jan. 2016
Sadly, had to return my Ti5 because just a few weeks after purchase, the switch became unreliable and it became a bit of a lottery as to what setting I'd get when I pushed the button! In comparison to the other small Thrunite torches that I have recently purchased (the Ti3 and the Ti4), the Ti5 was my least favourite. I thought that it would be a good alternative to my Ti3, with its tail switch to turn it on rather than just twisting. In practice it was a bit of a pain turning it on with the switch and trying to change the brightness with the switch. Personally I'm happier with the Ti3, which seems even smaller and lighter and is easier to grip. I got used to operating the Ti3 with just the twisty head. The Ti5’s firefly (ultra dim) mode appeared to be somewhat brighter than that of my Ti3, which some may prefer, but I like small glow from the TI3. For some reason I prefer the rougher look and feel of the Ti3 too.

On the plus side, the Ti5 is a very compact and rugged AAA torch with a very bright beam for its size. It could be just what you're after (but do check out the Ti3 before you buy)!

ThruNite® Ti3 Cree LED 120 Lumen Key-ring AAA Flashlight (Neutral White)
ThruNite® Ti3 Cree LED 120 Lumen Key-ring AAA Flashlight (Neutral White)
Offered by ThruNite® Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and light and actually very bright!, 27 Dec. 2015
When I first got this little gem out of its box, my first feeling was "is that it?". The torch is so small and light that it didn't seem much for the money. But during the course of the evening (and when I got to play with the actual light in the dark) I started to appreciate just how good the Ti3 is. Of course it's small and light - that's the WHOLE POINT! :-)

I now have the torch attached to my key ring and I don't notice that it's there, but on the few occasions when I've needed some illumination I have not been disappointed. Switching between the lighting modes by twisting the head felt a bit funny at first, but I soon got used to it. The dimmest mode (firefly) is surprisingly useful when you just want to check the time in the dark or look for your slippers in the bedroom without disturbing the missus. On the other hand, the brightest mode is surprisingly bright for such a small unit. Easily bright enough for everyday tasks around the house or lighting up a path where there's no street lighting. This bright mode is quite heavy on the AAA battery (which is understandable) - it lasts for about half an hour.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who may think that £14 is way too much to pay for something like this. I almost knocked a star off because of the price, but I was so impressed with this little gadget (particularly portability and brightness) that I decided to give it the full five out of five - and then went back onto Amazon to buy more Thrunite products!

[Upgraded Version]Poweradd Slim2 5000mAh Portable Charger Power Bank with Auto Detect Technology for iPhones, iPads, iPods, Samsung Galaxy series, most other Phones and Tablets - Black
Offered by Poweradd

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential piece of kit to top up a smart phone battery. Bulkier than some but higher capacity., 27 Dec. 2015
Every smart phone owner NEEDS a gadget like one of these - to guarantee that they'll have enough battery in their phone to make it to the end of the day. This model looks very smart and couldn't be easier to use. Plug it into a USB power source (PC, phone charger etc), charge it up (takes a few hours) and then pop it and a phone cable into your pocket. Four nice blue LED's tell you how much power is left. There seems to be enough capacity to charge an iphone at least two times.

This unit is slightly bigger than I imagined it to be. I think some of the reviews have likened it to tube of lipstick. Bl@@dy big lipstick is what I'd say to that!! It's actually about 3cm across and 10cm long - still small enough to fit into a pocket, but you might get some strange looks if you're wearing skinny jeans! There are smaller portable chargers out there, but they are likely to have a lower capacity. You pays your money and takes your choice...

Skullcandy Uproar On-Ear Headphones with TapTech - Black/Grey
Skullcandy Uproar On-Ear Headphones with TapTech - Black/Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and light. Mediocre sound quality - but not too bad for the money., 27 Dec. 2015
I wanted some cheap headphones to replace the ear bud type ones that came with my iphone. Price and the relatively small size influenced my decision and the reviews suggested that the sound quality was pretty decent. Well, the headphones are quite small and light and are comfortable to wear. I'm rather disappointed by the sound quality, however. The music comes out muffled with too much bass and not enough treble. If you just want some cheap headphones and aren't too fussed about the sound quality, then these should be fine. Otherwise I suggest you do what I should have done - paid a little more!

Tera® Survival Lighter kit Luminous Black Steel Flint Magnesium Stone Fire Starter Survival Kit for Military Hunting Camping
Offered by glück-express

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, delivery quicker than expected., 16 Dec. 2015
Produces large sparks and I managed to set light to some scraps of paper after a few attempts. Could do with a small set of instructions (that you could then set light to) to tell you to scrape off the black protective paint. There are plenty of videos online. Search for "fire steel" or "flint steel". The "magnesium" part of the title got me slightly confused because some fire starters have a block of magnesium attached to them that you can shave bits off from to add to your kindling. This one doesn't, which is fine, as long as you know...

Great value too.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1KEB-K Compact System Digital Camera with 12-32mm Lens - Black (16MP) 3 inch LCD (New for 2014)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really high quality images possible from a very compact camera., 31 Oct. 2015
A camera that can fit into a coat pocket, yet is capable of taking professional quality photos.

I originally bought the GM1 because I was after the 12-32 lens from it for my other micro four thirds camera and the Amazon price for the body plus lens was so good. Read the other reviews for a more in-depth description of what the camera is capable of, but in short at just over £300 currently, you are getting a hell of lot of camera for your money. Half a star knocked off because without a viewfinder, composing the photos is rather hit and miss when bright sunlight and reflections make the screen very difficult to see. Another half star goes because I find the control wheel really fiddly to use. However, improving the ergonomics and adding a viewfinder would make the camera bigger.

Have a look on sites like Flickr to see what great photos can be taken with this tiny (for its capabilities) camera. Then bear in mind that its current price is a couple of hundred £ less than it was originally - snap one up while you can!

Sony SRS-X11 Compact Portable Wireless Speaker with Bluetooth/NFC - Black
Sony SRS-X11 Compact Portable Wireless Speaker with Bluetooth/NFC - Black
Offered by TUFFskinz

4.0 out of 5 stars Potential for a real wire-free stereo bluetooth solution, 31 Oct. 2015
A very compact and reasonably loud Bluetooth speaker. In a crowded market, the SRS-X11 speaker stands out for a couple of reasons. I've tried quite a few small units of this kind and here are my thoughts:

- small and sturdy feel; quite loud for its size
- lanyard is useful for hanging from tent cross bars/ branches etc
- battery life is very good at up to 10+ hours
- Bluetooth connection is very reliable and easy to set up
- sound isn't great but is as good as can be expected for such devices
- ***if you buy two units, you can (wirelessly) link them together to achieve real stereo sound***

- price (at £50) is at least £20 too high in comparison to competitors

Despite my misgivings on the price and sound I talked myself into buying a second unit in order to check out the stereo capabilities. Here is where this device comes into its own. Two of the units can be easily linked together so that they deliver stereo sound without a wire in sight. I've not seen a similar system available on Amazon in this price bracket (£100 for the pair). The stereo sound is good (although lacks the bass that larger, wired speakers would provide) and once the units are linked, they can be controlled by pressing the button on one of them to change the volume and when you turn one off the other one switches off too - a nice touch.

In summary, for its size, the speaker delivers reasonable sound quality. It's very easy to operate and the ability to completely wirelessly link two units together for genuine stereo sound is a great feature that I've not come across anywhere else. One star knocked off because the price is too high.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2015 9:31 AM GMT

Acctim 12342 Auric Alarm Clock, White
Acctim 12342 Auric Alarm Clock, White
Offered by TheBigShip

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful. Works well., 19 Jan. 2015
Believe it or not, I took a long time trying to find the ideal replacement for my old digital battery alarm clock, which had served me well for over thirty years! This one gets a positive vote of 4/5 for the following reasons...

Compact, but not too tiny, this unit will fit into a small travel bag but isn't small in the two areas where it matters: clearly displaying the time and an alarm loud enough to wake me up. The figures on the display take up the whole of the front of the clock and are easy for me to read in the middle of the night without my glasses on. Pressing the large snooze button illuminates the bright backlight for a couple of seconds, which then fades away gradually (a nice touch)! That button does have a rather loud click, which could wake a light-sleeping partner if used to see the time in the middle of the night. The angle of the display is a bit silly, it points slightly upwards, meaning that it's a little hard to see unless you tilt the clock downwards to view. It looks blank if viewed from slightly below, which is how I tend to look at it whilst lying in bed. Another reviewer had the ingenious idea of taping something under the back of the unit to angle it downwards - that should work.

The slide switch at the rear of the top is used to select time/alarm/setting. Maybe I'm unlucky with my copy, but when I slide the switch across it doesn't click into place for the different functions. I'm sure I'll learn the different positions. The big advantage for me is that even after just a couple of nights using the clock I can turn the alarm on/off in the dark, without looking. That was one of my main criteria for choosing the clock: ability to operate it virtually with my eyes closed!

The alarm is loud. It starts at a medium volume, then after a few seconds gets louder, then louder...Pressing the snooze button silenced it for four minutes.

Seems like a very reasonable alarm clock for under a tenner. But will it last me for thirty years? Watch this space!

Mini 300 Lumen Cree Q5 Zoomable And Focus Adjustable Led Flashlight Torch Wit
Mini 300 Lumen Cree Q5 Zoomable And Focus Adjustable Led Flashlight Torch Wit
Offered by Beauty*Top*Picks

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value and brightness. Go for it!, 4 Nov. 2014
You really cannot go wrong for less than 2 quid. Mine took two and a half weeks to arrive, but I was expecting that and it was fine. This is my 5th purchase of this type of torch! All had slightly different descriptions and what tempted me to buy this one was the apparent waterproofing, which might be quite useful if I mount it on my bike in the rain.

The other reason why I went for this one, is that it came with just the one function: "ON", rather than with the additional strobe and dim options which get on my nerves.

As many others have said, the torch appears well-made; it's light, durable and gives out a good beam of light for saying it runs on one AA battery. The first versions I've had of this torch have lasted for over a year. The black paint has been worn off on a couple of the edges, but the torch itself works fine. I've no reason to suspect that this current (unbranded) copy will be any different.

iPhone 6S Case, SUPCASE Apple IPhone 6 Case /6S 4.7 Inch [Unicorn Beetle Pro] Rugged Holster Cover with Builtin Screen Protector (Black/Black)
Offered by I-Blason EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good protection for my iPhone!, 2 Nov. 2014
I was looking for a phone case to use when I was out and about, that would offer good protection, but would allow quick access to all of my phone's features.

I'm really pleased with the "Supcase" as it meets my requirements exactly. The rubber and plastic back and sides protect the edges of my phone and the built in screen protector should reduce the risk of scratches. I'm impressed by the screen protector: it was nice close fit (no apparent gap) and had no negative effect on the usability of the touch screen or its readability. The case covers the phone's volume and on/off buttons with its own raised "buttons". These worked perfectly, ie a press on the case button was transferred to the real phone button flawlessly, no extra pressure was needed. The holes for the charging cable and headphones are covered by rubber flaps that are a little fiddly to open, but I don't mind that - the flaps add to the protection provided by the case.

It's a little bit fiddly to take the case apart to put it on the phone, but I'm sure I'll get better at it.

I can't imagine myself using the belt clip/holster part very much. It consists of a fairly substantial slab of plastic with tabs to clip the case on and a spring-loaded belt hook on the back. For extra protection of the screen you can clip the phone (in its case) into the holster screen-inwards. I can see this as being useful if the phone is in a bag or something and you wanted to be certain that the screen was protected. I tried the clip on my belt and it wasn't comfortable, particularly when sitting down.

When using this case, it's not really possible to see much at all of the beautiful design of the phone. It also adds a bit of bulk. For those reasons I don't use it all of the time, preferring instead a thinner (but much less protective) case. However, the Supcase's job is to provide a high level of protection, yet allow full access to everything the phone does. It does those things so well, with the added bonus of making the phone a lot less slippery to hold. The case may cover up some of the phone's good looks, but it will help to preserve them and gives me more confidence to use the phone in situations where I may have kept it safely tucked away in my pocket.

Five stars out of five; I'd give it more if I could!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4