Profile for Arty > Reviews

Java The Complete Reference, 8th Edition
Java The Complete Reference, 8th Edition
by Herbert Schildt

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Coverage, 8 Oct. 2012
If you know the Object terminology, and have programming experience (ideally have had a little play with Java itself), then this book is great. The first chapter covers the basics - for me it was a backup, a really good reinforcement of a Java course for beginners course I'd been on. The second part covers off briefly, details of all major classes that come as part of java. Very few example, which is a shame, but is understandable given the amount of stuff to get through. I imagine a scan through the internet would give you a working example for any object or element that the book is describing - so I wouldn't mark it down for that. There are a couple more sections to the book which I'm looking forward to getting stuck into. It's big, so time your time reading it.
All in all, glad I bought it - I expect I'll be refering back to it for a long time (expect part 2) where I'll stop looking once I get used to Javadocs.

CTEK Multi MXS 10 10A 12V 8-Stage Battery Charger Conditioner
CTEK Multi MXS 10 10A 12V 8-Stage Battery Charger Conditioner

4.0 out of 5 stars CTEK Charger (10A), 15 Jun. 2012
Brought this as a solution for a Campervan with leisure battery. Charger offers 'float' option which allows you to leave it connected to leisure battery when parked up and connected to 240v pitch supply. All your 12v circuit that uses leisure battery has it's load shared between battery and CTEK charger. My max draw is about 25A, so when plugged in to mains, the 10A charger will assist with high draw, supply all the current for medium draw, and top up the leisure battery during low draw periods like when I'm asleep. That's the theory.
The charger part successfully detected a dead battery with it's error light (first cell was dead).
Currently doing the job I paid it for, but haven't really tried it to the max yet.
Have noted that it heats up a fair bit, so you might want to be cautious about where you locate it if leaving it permanently installed in your car/van.
You can leave it connected for long periods as the current it will consume when connected to the battery, but not plugged into the mains is minimal.
For info, I've a Type 2 VW (Bay Window Camper).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2014 11:23 AM BST

BV & Jo Infrared Wireless Remote Control for Canon EOS 550D 500D 450D 400D 350D 300D

5.0 out of 5 stars Remote Camera Control, 2 Aug. 2010
Cheaper than the hard wired version and this remote does exactly what it should. Not sure about the lower of the three buttons though (I think that they're for other camera). Brilliant addition to the Camera kit. If it doesn't work, it because you're not pointing it correctly at the front of the camera or the camera isn't in remote mode. Definately a great purchase...at last, I can actually be in my holiday photos!