Profile for Leon DiZ > Reviews

Content by Leon DiZ

Leon DiZ

WD My Book 3TB External Desktop Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
WD My Book 3TB External Desktop Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
Offered by Value_Deal

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive, bad firmware., 4 Sept. 2012
I have this on a USB 2.0 socket, cause unfortunately, my PC doesn't have room for a USB 3.0 controller.

The speeds are close to 30MB/s on my PC but I've seen it run as fast as 70MB/s on other machines, depending on the USB controller. Not USB 3.0 speeds, but you work with what you have ;)

Overall I am very satisfied with this product, except for the software part. These drives come with the software WD Smartware and a drive firmware which accompanies that. You can either use it or not. I chose not to from the get go. I deleted everything there was on the drive and started using it as any other drive. Mind you, I did not encrypt or put a password on my drive. Everything was well until I tried hooking it up to my TV and then external media player and neither recognised it. After a couple of tries, I contacted WD. They reached back to me after 15 or so days and when I explained the issue, they send me this

"There is a hidden partition on the new My Books, which is handling the encryption and password protection of the drive. This partition cannot be deleted, but sometimes can be the issue of not being detected."

and then this

"On the computer, the partition is hidden by default, and only visible when a password was set up and had not been entered yet, after connecting the drive.
So although it is hidden by default, and therefore inactive, it still sometimes can lead to an issue."

I haven't had time to figure out how to work around this issue as of this review, I will edit it if I do. So, be careful if you want this to connect it to a TV or media player. If anyone know the solution, please respond.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2012 9:48 PM GMT

Arrietty Deluxe Collector's Edition - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Arrietty Deluxe Collector's Edition - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Hiromasa Yonebayashi

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous set, average movie!, 4 Sept. 2012
I'd say the film is average but it was lovingly created and this shows. The animation is terrific and you could just pause and stare to the backgrounds for hours.

If you are thinking if the premium pricing is worth the extra money, I suggest you go for it. The set has wonderful artwork, it's matte and it looks and feels great (check the product images I have submitted to see for yourselves)

The UK edition has also more extras than the US version.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Art of Up (Pixar Animation)
The Art of Up (Pixar Animation)
by Tim Hauser

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, not very good service by Amazon, 4 Sept. 2012
I haven't finished it yet but so far it has proven that the "Art of" books are essential for any fan of any given movie. You get beautiful drawings and great insight into the production of the films, something that even some making of features fail to achieve. It is a real treat for UP and Pixar fans! Don't think twice.

My complaint with this one is the Amazon delivery service. It took longer than anticipated but that's not the worst thing. The back of the book is somewhat dirty, I looks worn and there was some kind of sticky stuff between some pages, which I had to peel off (imagine cookie crumbs pressed between the pages). Overall, it gave me a feel that it was left somewhere, one of the few remaining copies and it wasn't cared for very well.

Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World [Blu-ray] [2003]
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World [Blu-ray] [2003]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe

4.0 out of 5 stars Good picture and audio, few extras, 4 Sept. 2012
The video and audio on this Blu-ray disc are absolutely fantastic. The audio in enveloping and it gives your home theater a chance to stretch its legs. I was really disappointed by the lack of special features. There are some (deleted scenes, a trivia track) but the 2-disc edition [ASIN:B00008W64E Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Double Disc Edition) [DVD] [2003]] has more content in terms of extras. If you have that one, I suggest you keep it for the time being.

Koss Porta Pro On-Ear Headphones Classic, for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Black/Silver
Offered by elevenfirst

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for people who want portability, other heaphones might be better for people seeking durability, 4 Sept. 2012
I bought these cause I read a lot of good things on the amazon reviews. These headphones are aimed towards the portable crowd and this shows in their design as well as the packaging. They arrived in a package so small and they are so small when closed, that I was afraid I had made a mistake. Their biggest flaw and at the same time the ace in their sleeve is their portability. Everything these headphones are or aren't are based on that factor. For example, the sound quality is good, although the bass levels should have been lower. Because of their slim design, they don't even have basic noise cancellation technology. That does not automatically affect you, but the people sitting close to you can hear very clearly the same thing you do. As I said their design is very slim and the earpieces bend in a way so the headphones can become a small circle. The headband is metallic but it can sometimes catch on to your hair and pull some off, which is a big annoyance. Finally, I'm very careful on how I treat them, mainly cause they look so fragile. This might be a misconception due to me being used to bigger equipment, but still.. For example, I won't put these in my bag so easily as other heaphones, cause I fear my books might break them.

PROS
- small size
- good sound quality
- extremely portable

CONS
- seem very fragile
- headband can pull some hair off
- bass levels should've been lower
- no noise cancellation

Conclusion: these are not, by any means, bad headphones. But unless you need the portability, you are paying a premium for something you don't really need. If you seek performance and durability, maybe you should looks somewhere else.

Tarzan [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Tarzan [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kevin Lima
Offered by MediaMine

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 May 2012
VIDEO QUALITY
Extremely poor. This film was released in 1999, it is a digital film and it doesn't need any clean-up to look as good as the old Disney classics (Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty etc). That makes matters worse, as this is the worst transfer any Disney animated feature has had on Blu-ray. There is a constant flicker on the image, like you're turning on neon lights. It's very annoying and during night-time scenes or on dark backgrounds (hair, gorilla fur) you simply can't ignore it.

AUDIO QUALITY
It gets worse apparently. The audio mix is just the old 5.1 Dolby Digital mix that was present on the DVD as well.

EXTRAS
You get some awful extras like Disneypedia and the standard Music Videos. No making of, no audio commentary, no cast interviews, nothing.

CONCLUSION
This will probably drop so don buy right away. I suggest you wait and grab it for less than 10 pounds (I would give 5-7 for this). It's a real shame cause this needed a little care and it would be a great release!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2013 9:06 PM GMT

Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free] [2001]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value/money, big packaging for no reason, 26 Feb. 2012
I bought this set now cause the price is excellent for 8 movies (!!!) and while I am planing on getting a "definite" edition of the movies later on, this set will do for now. It's a great package and it has a fairly good amount of extras. Now, we all know the movies and I will not comment on the Picture and Audio Quality of this set, since others have done a better job than myself at it (go at blu-ray.com for reviews for each film). What I'd like to comment on is the packaging itself. It's pretty basic actually, and it looks cheap. What's really bothering me with movie "collections" is that studios do not take into account a big factor: shelf space. They chose to house the discs in big cases while they could have chosen slimmer cases. The last 2 films in particular (4 discs) are housed in an enormous case which was created to hold 6 discs. They could have "slimmed down" the package, it would look better, it would take up less shelf space and it would be easier to handle (the 6-disc case is not as easy to close as the rest of the cases).
Nevertheless, this is an excellent package if you're a fan of the series and are looking for a complete collection without spending too much money.

Disney Nightmare Before Christmas Mouse Mat
Disney Nightmare Before Christmas Mouse Mat

2.0 out of 5 stars FAIL, 22 Sept. 2011
I was planning on getting this. It seems very nice but one huge mistake.
"Wellcome". I shall buy another Disney mouse pad instead.