Profile for bwriter > Reviews

Content by bwriter

bwriter "bwriter" (Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Winsor & Newton Medway Table BoxEasel
Winsor & Newton Medway Table BoxEasel
Offered by bargainartistshop

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design which could have been avoided by having the ..., 3 Jan. 2015
I agree with an earlier comment re the possibility of damage to the case from carelessly aligned wing nuts. Poor design which could have been avoided by having the wing nuts on the lid end of the stays. I will make this alteration myself in 5 minutes with a drill and an extra two bolts. Minus one star.
The wing nuts, incidentally, are very coarsely made and do not run smoothly on the bolts. Minus another star.
A 30cm x 40cm canvas (the size I intend to use) can only be secured by the gripper bars in portrait mode. I can drill two holes higher up to raise the bottom bar. But why was the minimum canvas size not quoted? Minus another star.
It's obvious the designer of this easel never tried to use it. So find another product or, as I intend to do, design and build your own.

AVANTEK 17'' Laptop Notebook Cooling Pad Chill Mat with Dual 160mm Blue LED Fans
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for money., 21 Oct. 2014
I was nervous at the low price but decided to chance it. £16 quid isn't a lot to risk, is it?
But this cooling pad was exactly as described, and very quiet since I suspect the fans are (quite sensibly) being run at lower than normal speed. It's just the right size for my 17" Dell laptop and arrived well packaged. They could leave out the blue LEDs since, once the laptop is mounted they are barely visible...what are they for?
I had considered building my own cooling pad at first but I'm glad I didn't. I couldn't have bought the parts for this price. 10 out of 10.

EXTERNAL USB Black Portable Slimline Floppy Drive 1.44mb Ideal for Laptops
EXTERNAL USB Black Portable Slimline Floppy Drive 1.44mb Ideal for Laptops
Offered by Storage Depot Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little drive., 13 April 2014
Now I can back up all my old floppies to my external hard drive.
Plug it in and it just works. It's cheap, too. What else do you want?

Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60mm Magnifying Glass
Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60mm Magnifying Glass

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need..., 13 April 2014
for all those fiddly jobs. Robustly made and well designed. One small grouch was the base could have been heavier. But, hey, it's cheap and you can always clamp it down if you need to. Good value.

Smiffys Captain Hat (White with Golden Detail)
Smiffys Captain Hat (White with Golden Detail)
Offered by Top Value Prices

5.0 out of 5 stars Aye aye cap'n, 13 April 2014
I saw this for a couple of pounds more on the High Street. Obviously not quite as well made as the real thing, it is still nicely made and looks authentic with the 'scrambled egg' on the peak very well done. Good value for money. Norfolk Broads here we come.

Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse - Blue
Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it - you won't regret it, 13 April 2014
Fed up with a Packard Bell optical mouse that was very picky about the mouse mat it was used with (and even then it was erratic), I purchased two of these, one for my laptop and one for my better half's. With Windows 7 I just plugged in the (tiny) dongle, switched on the mouse and it worked. No software to load, nothing - it just worked. Wonderful. And it's very responsive and reliable. I also like the colour choices, I got a blue one for myself and a red one for the wife. I'd give it six stars if I could.

LPD Furniture Amalfi Ottoman, In White
LPD Furniture Amalfi Ottoman, In White

1.0 out of 5 stars Amalfi Ottoman, 8 Aug. 2013
When an item of furniture is described as ‘self-assembly’ I would expect all screw holes to be predrilled and/or marked. The corner pillars have been drilled to accept the screws but the points they should screw into have been neither marked nor drilled. Therefore there is a high likelihood that the average person will position these pillars incorrectly. The fact that some of the holes wander perilously close to the edge of the wood doesn’t help either.

The staples used to attach the black material to the pillars have been inserted in a seemingly arbitrary way so that the emerging tip of a screw could quite easily tear it loose. On one occasion a staple actually prevented the screw from exiting the hole and had to be removed.

The very first words in the assembly instructions state:
DO NOT USE POWER TOOLS DURING ASSEMBLY AS IT MAY DAMAGE THE PRODUCT, AND WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED.
No explanation is given for this extremely unusual caution.

The instructions are extremely poor and need to be studied very carefully before beginning assembly.

The quality of the components is very low; the wooden pillars are so light I feared they might be balsa wood. The ends are rough being straight off the saw. The material wrapped and stapled around them is very shoddily done.

The front, back and side panels are difficult to align with each other with their short ends seeming to be curved. The bottom panel is so thin and flexible I felt it may well be a piece of cardboard rather than wood. Since it’s cloaked in black material there’s no way to be sure.

Anyone trying to assemble this thing without the use of power tools will need strong fingers; I’d say the average lady Do-It-Yourselfer would struggle here.

Once I had finally assembled this contraption I have to say it looks good. But I needed to pour myself a large vodka and lie down in a dark room for an hour afterwards.

I paid around £65; I’d estimate the real value to be nearer £25.

The bottom line? Don’t touch it, even if you do have a barge-pole.

3 sets + 2 Blacks - JETPLAY - T0445 (5 x T0441, 3 x T0442, 3 x T0443, 3 x T0444) of High Yield Ink Cartridges for Epson Stylus C64 C66 C84 C86 CX3600 CX3650 CX4600 CX6400 CX6600 Replacements for T0441/T0442/T0443/T0444
Offered by inksplus+

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., 6 July 2013
I bought these cartridges as a twin six pack (not from Amazon) some time ago and only lately had occasion to try them out. They work fine, the print quality is as good as any other compatible cartidge I've tried. But this product has a couple of problems.

First, the cartridge number is not printed on the shrink-wrapped plastic envelope as it is in other cartridges. I then tried to read this number, or the ink colour, through the envelope but the info I sought was obscured by a fold in the plastic. It required a great deal of teasing and stretching of the plastic envelope before I could make out the ink colour. Of course, you can't cut open the envelope to read this since the ink would then start to dry out. If it turns out not to be the colour you want...oops, one wasted cartridge.

The second problem is that there is no sloshing noise if you shake the cartridge next to your ear, something I always do to confirm whether or not a cartridge is dry. I suppose the ink is held suspended within a sponge or something because even brand new (and working perfectly) cartridges do not slosh. I had binned two cartridges before I discovered this. Possibly they were perfectly useable.

If you are prepared to accept these limitations, fine. They are inexpensive. But I won't buy them again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 12:25 PM BST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars High Quality? I don't think so, 31 Jan. 2013
These cables look good at first glance. But the use of cheap components is revealed once you open up the ends. The cable is basic, with simple screening. The plugs have a rough feel to them and they look flimsy. I ordered two; one jack fitted into my amp smoothly, the other was a very tight fit. So quality control is not at its best here. Having said all that, they are adequate and, at the price, fairly good value for money. The description 'High Quality' I'd suggest is misleading. I'm using these for a home karaoke outfit. If your requirements demand something rugged and reliable I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Lloytron 2000w British Standard BEAB Approved Fan Heater with 2 Heat Settings & Cool Blow F2003WH

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 16 Feb. 2012
It is quiet, it is efficient, it produces heat with two settings plus a variable thermostat. It is extremely competitively priced. Buy it. You won't regret it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5