Profile for working woman > Reviews

Content by working woman

working woman (Plymouth)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Granose Meat Free Lincolnshire Sausage Mix 150 g (Pack of 6)
Granose Meat Free Lincolnshire Sausage Mix 150 g (Pack of 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars Confirmed as Vegan, 12 Dec. 2014
Manufacturer states this no longer contains any dairy products and is suitable for vegans.
Comes with 2 sachets in each box. Makes up with water. Product is very mild in flavour and is nothing like a true Lincolnshire sausage in seasoning (I am from Lincoln, so I claim some knowledge on this). However it does take additional seasoning very well.
Not as nice as the old Sosmix in my opinion.

White Brite
White Brite
Offered by Homecare Essentials Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful on iron stains., 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: White Brite
We have high levels of iron in our water. Perfectly safe to drink (we have had it analysed) but a real problem for laundry.
White fabric turns rusty especially if washed at higher temperatures. Modern stain treatments just make matters worse and deepen the colour.

This removes the old discolouration and keeps my whites clean and fresh.

The product certainly works best when added to the drum rather than the drawer.
This also cuts down on the smell which is not pleasant at all.
It is a rather strong chemical so I always use the extra rinse function when I use it.
Always have some on hand for white loads.

Dubor PR100 Professional Cake Release Spray 600 ml
Dubor PR100 Professional Cake Release Spray 600 ml
Offered by Bakers Creations

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing sticks!, 20 Feb. 2014
I bought this to use on intricately patterned cake tins hoping to save time and ensure a thorough coating of release.
I have always buttered or buttered and floured tins before being rather sceptical about sprays.

I have been amazed at the results I have had with this spray. Cakes have released very cleanly and fine detail from the tins has transferred perfectly. Although this spray does contain lecithin I have not experienced any sticky residue and tins clean easily with just hot soapy water and a dishcloth.

The can is HUGE and the spray produced is very fine.
I found it better to spray the tin over the kitchen sink and leave it upside down on the draining board whilst i mix the cake.

I will be buying again but it won't be for a very long time as the can is dated for nearly 2 years and is truly industrial sized.
Highly recommended.

Charles Dowding's Vegetable Course
Charles Dowding's Vegetable Course
by Charles Dowding

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and Obvious Advice., 26 May 2012
I have just received my copy which I bought for advice on growing on my very stony soil preferably without endless digging and riddling.
His advice? Use raised beds filled with compost!!!!
Basically glorified container gardening. Obvious!!! Very expensive with the price of wood and compost.
Will not bother with any more of his titles, I need to save the money for compost.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2014 10:23 AM GMT

Pine Tar Shampoo
Pine Tar Shampoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff., 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Pine Tar Shampoo
This shampoo doesn't look very promising in the bottle. It is very dark brown and runny and watery in appearance.
I think the consistency works to its advantage as it gets straight down to the scalp rather than just staying in the hair.
Since using this my scalp has not itched and the flakiness has gone. I have shortish hair and haven't needed a conditioner so far.
A very good product at a very good price.

Kraft Processed Cheddar Cheese Block 250 g (Pack of 6)
Kraft Processed Cheddar Cheese Block 250 g (Pack of 6)

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and awful., 15 Sept. 2011
I was hoping for a solid block of easy melting tangy "cheese". Something similar to the processed slices I buy for burgers.

This stuff is a very strange greyish, beigey colour. Has little or no taste, not even salty.
I have just grated some to melt over something in the oven but it would not melt. It just went a darker shade of grey and dried up.

The only slight saving grace it has is I can leave it in the pantry unopened. So good for the emergency food store.
That said I would have to be snowed in for a very very long time before I resorted to eating it!

Earth Friendly Products Parsley Plus Multi-surface Cleaner 500 ml (Pack of 2)
Earth Friendly Products Parsley Plus Multi-surface Cleaner 500 ml (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic around cleaner., 4 Aug. 2011
This cleaner is a great all purpose cleaner. We use it with a cheap micro fibre cloth for general cleaning of hard surfaces around the home. The scent is lovely fresh and natural but not overpowering.

Dough
Dough
by Richard Bertinet

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed., 1 July 2011
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
I have made bread by hand off-and-on for years and fancied starting again with this method to see how it would work.

I was very surprised to see the author is so very prescriptive about the liquids in his recipes. He gives one quantity and even strongly suggests weighing the water rather than using a measuring jug. This is confusing as most bread recipes I have used acknowledge that different batches and brands of flour will absorb different amounts of liquid.

I have decided to throw caution to the wind and follow his white dough recipe to the letter. I have produced a very tight dry dough which refused to stretch much when being worked and was so non-elastic i nearly pulled my marble pastry board off the work top!!

It is having its first proving now I just hope it rises and is edible.

Amendment:

After a very helpful email conversation with the author it seems the recipe needs some amendment for "very strong flour" such as the Marriages Very Strong Canadian and a very strong flour sold by Waitrose. He suggests 800g water to 1Kg flour. The recipe should work for the more normal strong flour.
His assistance was very quick. Within an hour or so of writing my review.

The loaves I produced from the rather tight dough turned out perfectly good. Especially with butter and a cuppa.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2011 2:12 PM GMT

LilacCup Size Large - menstrual cup
LilacCup Size Large - menstrual cup
Offered by LADYCUP

1.0 out of 5 stars Sticky., 21 Jun. 2011
I have used cups before and was very disappointed by this one and will return it unused.
The silicon is sticky which I know from other cups makes insertion rather uncomfortable, even using water.
The bag it comes with is very pretty but being cotton it covers the sticky cup in a laver of fine fluff which refuses to be rinsed off.

Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Eye Makeup Remover 118ml
Bare Escentuals bareMinerals Eye Makeup Remover 118ml

1.0 out of 5 stars Stings., 16 Mar. 2011
This certainly had no problem removing the mascara I was wearing but it really really stings.
I didn't saturate the pad or use too much.
Even after 30 minutes my eyes are still stinging!!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4