Profile for Shempz > Reviews

Shempz (UK)

Ultimate Ears 100 Noise-Isolating Earphones - Blue
Ultimate Ears 100 Noise-Isolating Earphones - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good value, 1 Sep 2011
I'm not a fan of the colour (blue and sky blue)....but as I got them free, I'm not complaining! You can currently get them for about 10, which itself is pretty good value.

The sound is very good, and the noise isolation seems to work well on them. I've not tested the bass thoroughly, but what I have played through them so far seemed good enough.

You get 4 sizes of buds for these....so most people should find a size that fits. They are much more comfortable than a set of ipod/iphone earphones (these are obviously different, as they are in ear), and fit very snugly.

I'm Not Really Here
I'm Not Really Here
by Paul Lake
Price: 12.24

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish all autobiographies were like this, 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: I'm Not Really Here (Hardcover)
I'm not a Man City fan, and can't profess to knowing a huge amout about Paul Lake, in spite of being a big football fan all my life. This book however, is possibly the best autobiography I've ever read. It traces Paul's life from childhood to the success of being made Man City captain and part of the England World Cup Squad in 1990 to the lows of severe depression following long term injury and many botched operations.

It'll make you laugh, and cry (or at least get a lump in your throat!) in equal measures, and every page you read will just make you want to get to the next even faster.

Nokia CC-1005 Skin for N8 - Black
Nokia CC-1005 Skin for N8 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy, 2 Dec 2010
The N8, even though it is apparently scratchproof, is a slippery little thing, and can quite easily be dropped. I ordered this case, as for 5, it seemed a bargain for an official Nokia silicone case (especially when you compare it to the prices of iphone cases)

It fits perfectly, has all the necesary cut outs - with the exception of the memory/sim card section - but you'd hardly be taking these out every 5mins anyway.

The feel is comfortable and nice and grippy. I'd recommend to anyone with an N8.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good....when they work!, 31 Oct 2010
Bought my 2nd pair of these in February. Great value, and a decent sound...but unfortunately both pairs I had ended up with the same problem...the sound in one ear stopped working or was so faint as to be almost undetectable, and in both cases, they lasted about 6 - 7 months (of very careful use).

Maybe I was just unlucky, as it seems that most people that have bought them have not had the same problem.

Peig (Irish Studies)
Peig (Irish Studies)
by Sayers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't wish this on anyone, 2 Sep 2008
This review is from: Peig (Irish Studies) (Paperback)
We had to read this for Leaving Cert Irish in the 90's....and its possibly the most boring book I have ever been forced to read! I think the most exciting thing was when she stole a cake from a local shop as a young girl...zzzzz....

This entry from the Wiki says it all:

The book was for a long time required reading in secondary schools in Ireland. As a book with arguably sombre themes (its latter half cataloguing a string of family misfortunes), its presence on the Irish syllabus was criticised for some years. From 1960 the Irish population was urbanising, a process that led to the "Celtic Tiger" economy in the 1990s, and Peig's tales of woe in rural surroundings confirmed to many students that Irish was a language of poverty and misery, while English was considered the language of science and commerce.

It led, for example, to this comment from Senator John Minihan in the Irish Senate in 2006 when discussing improvements to the curriculum:
" No matter what our personal view of the book might be, there is a sense that one has only to mention the name Peig Sayers to a certain age group and one will see a dramatic rolling of the eyes, or worse."

Steering Wheel (Xbox 360)
Steering Wheel (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 28 Feb 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Luckily I got this as a Xmas present. Absolutely no problems whatsoever, the steering wheel is very responsive (and the lock is not too big in my opinion). I had got bored playing PGR3, but with this its fantastic - I recommend changing the camera to front bumper view...as this makes it even more realistic and the response is instant and accurate - very handy for correcting any skids or spins!

My only gripe is the handbrake...having to push the left hand flappy paddle down or pressing one of the buttons (can't remember which button though) is not ideal...I'd much prefer to be able to use the gearstick on the right as a handbrake, as I use the flappy paddles for gear changes anyway.

The Lucifer Code
The Lucifer Code
by Michael Cordy
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 6.31

4.0 out of 5 stars why do it again?????, 31 Jan 2006
This was originally called Lucifer, and was a very good religious thriller. As with Mr Cordy's previous book, the Miracle Strain, it has been re-packaged on the back of the success of the DaVinci code, as "The Lucifer Code"
Good book, but beware if you have bought the book under the original name of "Lucifer"

The Messiah Code
The Messiah Code
by Michael Cordy
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Why change the title????, 27 April 2005
Whatever marketing moron thought up the idea of re-issuing 'The Miracle Strain' as 'The Messiah Code' should be shot. Its clearly been done on the back of the success of 'The DaVinci Code', and in my opinion belittles what for me is a cracking technological thriller.
I'd advise anyone to buy this buy (and all of Michael Cordy's books in fact)...but beware if you have already bought this book as 'The Miracle Strain'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2009 5:02 PM BST