Profile for Budfox87 > Reviews

Budfox87

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia [DVD]
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Muhammet Uzuner

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the first time I have had a pounding headache from watching a film., 12 Aug. 2013
At the 2 hour mark my head began to hurt and I began to feel like I was experiencing a hysterical hangover, if such thing exists. I had been meaning to watch this for a while now, mostly due to the excellent reviews and the prestigious awards it had garnered. 99% of the time, there would be a good reason to put aside 2 and half hours of my time for something that could be considered a 'masterpiece'. I have worked in Turkey and had friends there, so I suppose I also liked idea of seeing something that captured the beauty of the lonely rural landscapes.

What frustrated me the most was that during the first act, I was mesmerised. I really believed I was watching something that would blow my mind. The characters seemed to all be at odds with each other to some extent and I felt myself being drawn into the atmosphere of the bleak surroundings. More than anything I desperately wanted to see more of the murder suspect, who I felt had a far too limited role. After about an hour I began to find the film hard to watch, mostly due to all the loose ends in the plot being uncovered, yet showing no sign of being tied up again. I understand how an open ending can be a great way to close a film, but literally every minute was open. It almost felt like the filmmakers, in their search for realism and honesty, had turned the camera on people who have little to say about anything and comment only with vague philosophical statements and dull observations that only add to the awkward pacing. It was Hitchcock who once said that "Drama is life with all the dull bits cut out". It seems someone found out what to do with all those dull bits that got cut out - and here is the result.

The only thing that kept me watching to the end was the suburb cinematography that was at times both grim and beautiful. It was the compositions that really took my attention and also the way the Director had used close ups to show so much emotion with a nothing more than a long stare or an awkward silence. I realise some people do not give the time they should do to appreciate slower, more contemplative cinema. In my opinion, I am not one of these people. The best film I have ever seen? 2001: A Space Odyssey. I am not nitpicking just because I got bored or have a short attention span. This film is simply something to look at, something visual. Personally, I want story - or at least something to pull me in. Anything is better than nothing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2013 1:58 PM GMT