Profile for Are-Harald Brenne > Reviews

Content by Are-Harald Brenne

Are-Harald Brenne (Bergen, Norway)

5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength
5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength
by Jim Wendler

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the read, 12 Nov. 2013
Although I believe the program itself will be optimal training for very few, everyone that does semi-serious barbell training should read this booklet. Fun and insightfull.

American Terrorist: Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City Bombing
American Terrorist: Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City Bombing
by Lou Michel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Written by religious fundamentalist!, 19 Dec. 2003
1. I bought this book based on a very positive review in the Guardian Weekly.
2. I am a reasonable modern agnostic Norwegian. When I started to read the book, I reacted to the fact that the writer without any distance assumes a strongly religious viewpoint, from himself and implicitly from the reader. There are numerous religious references to for example praying and God in the text. I find the text higly disrespectful to people of different life perspectives. I was so annoyed by this that I stopped reading the book after 50 pages.
3. For more persistent and less lazy readers this element might in fact be positive, as it gives an illustration of possible cultural differences between modern European societies and the United States.

FreeBSD Unleashed
FreeBSD Unleashed
by Brian Tiemann

3.0 out of 5 stars Usefull, but wrong focus and not the best., 19 Dec. 2003
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
1. This is not a lousy book. It is better than most computer books I have seen. The language, though, is dry an un-enthusiastic, as in most other computer books.
2. The focus is wrong. The book starts from scratch, and spend too much space on explaining issues easily available from other sources or issues that most people buying FreeBSD books will already know. At least one third of the book could easily have been dropped.
3. I bougth this book after using FreeBSD on hobby basis for a year. I already owned Absolute BSD, which I think is much better. I have found usefull information in this book, but I regret not saving up the money for Michael Lucas's OpenBSD-book or O'Reilly Power Tools.
By 'Absolute BSD' instead or in addition!

Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD (One Off)
Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD (One Off)
by Michael W. Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars A good example of an exellent computer book., 19 Dec. 2003
1. The book does not start from scratch, but assumes some basic knowledge of unix system. It does not explain things as what a shell is and what the 'cd' command does. This is a plus as I see it.
2. Michael Lucas writes with an enthusiastic voice. The text is 'catchy' and easy to follow.
3. The book is, to a certain extent, oriented towards _explaining_concepts_ rather than oriented towards _tasks_. There is little of "How to configure XY: Click there, write this, press that, write that". The book leans more in the direction of giving the reader an understanding of how things work. This very important for me as I want to understand how things work rather than mechanically be able to perform specific tasks.
4. The book targets the 4-branch, but most of the topics explored in the book have seen few important changes. I consider the book to also be relevant for the 5-branch.