ARRAY(0xaf60315c)

Railway Dictionary: An A-Z of Railway Terminology
Railway Dictionary: An A-Z of Railway Terminology
by Alan A. Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars A great dictionary, 31 May 2003
Trainspotters have their own lingo, newcomers often stand surprised at some word that obviously everyone else understands. This book gives (nearly) all the explanations, and I, as an old trainspotter, learned a lot from it.
It is always a difficult task to assemble such a dictionary, thus quite a few very important (to me) entries are missing. Still this is, as I mentioned above, a great dictionary.
To be added: good printing, decent binding - a well-made book.

The Plank [VHS]
The Plank [VHS]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33
Price: 6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must' Film, 17 May 2003
This review is from: The Plank [VHS] (VHS Tape)
'The Plank' is an absolute classic, funny, hilarious. I have watched it umpteen times and I still find myself lying on the floor, laughing my butts off when I watch it again. I like to show it to my students in English lesson to demonstrate 'British humour', and then I sit in my corner finding it ravingly funny. My (German) students are mostly mildly interested. 'The Plank' obviously is British humour that does not offer its virtues to German teenagers at once. At least I had an enjoyable lesson, ain't that important ? I am now ordering a new copy since my old one is wearing out.

Railway Ribaldry
Railway Ribaldry
by W. Heath Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only for trainspotters, 5 Jun 2001
This review is from: Railway Ribaldry (Hardcover)
I mean, we all know Heath Robinson and his absurd inventions - this book contains more of them then I ever could imagine - what is really truely amazing about this book is that 'God's Wonderful Railway' back in 1935 was able to employ enough sense of humour to publish this collection. At least here on the continent every self-respecting concern would probably have let the cartoonist be hand-cuffed.
Seriously - a perfect example of the British way to poke fun at themselves.
And - a beautiful book.

Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual
Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual
by Albert Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you always wanted to know about woodworking..., 1 July 2000
Teaching English at a technical college in Germany I always kept looking for a book that explains it all. I finally found it: whatever you need to know about woodworking, all the tools, the properties of wood, designing furniture, dovetails, what have you... It's all in this one book. It's well-written, easy to read, beuatifully illustrated (cudos to Simon Jennings). If you want to go into woodworking seriously, this is the book you want to get.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2012 9:35 PM GMT

Cambridge International Dictionary of English
Cambridge International Dictionary of English
by Paul Procter

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta have, 22 Jan 2000
As a teacher of English at a German College this book has often been a great help to me. I use a lot of dictionaries, this one is a+. Important is the inclusion of US and AUS usage, which some other dictionaries just ignore.

The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway: An Anthology (Series X)
The Lynton and Barnstaple Railway: An Anthology (Series X)
by David Hudson

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful country and a great railway, 1 Dec 1999
The closure of the Lynton & Barnstapel in 1935 was often mourned. The L&B surely was one of Britain's finest railways, equal to all of what the continent had to offer. This book describes it all, what the L&B was, what it meant to the people; and it is not just a book: the numeral beautiful drawings make you want to have been there. Just a good book.

The Great British Railway Disaster
The Great British Railway Disaster
by Christian Wolmar

5.0 out of 5 stars What comes of privatising railways, 30 Oct 1999
Britain was rather quick with railway privatising. Rail experts predicted problems, and here they are: The 'Independent on Sunday' ran a regular column on all those bigger and smaller catastrophes that have struck the nations rails since. This book has collected them, and they make excellent reading. My reactions varied from hilarious laughter over outright astonishment to just plain rage and anger. I learned how to ruin a working concern, and, as I live in Germany, I found out what we can expect, here. Deserves a huge readership.