Profile for TK1 > Reviews

Content by TK1

TK1 (London, UK)

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
by Patrick M. Lencioni
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars No better model on teams, 28 Oct 2013
I find myself returning to Lencioni's teams model regularly - it's a simple and, I find, highly practical model that takes no time to introduce and is then very easy to work with in groups of varying sizes to help them move quickly towards signficant insights about their own team dynamics.

Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
by Patrick Lencioni
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, insightful and useful, 28 Oct 2013
As with all Lencioni's books, I've found this a simple and highly accessible path into what I find to be one of the most common issues in work today. It's given me a handy reference for people I coach or consult to and some easy, memorable ways of thinking about the underlying causes and some neat ways to begin to address them.

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy
by Harvard Business Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Good range of thinking, albeit all in the traditional stable, 28 Oct 2013
A good range of stuff from some of the key thinkers, in fairly brief form.
It does however stay mainly in the more traditional territory of planned, rational strategising models. You may want to go elsewhere if you want some stronger challenge and critique of this worldview, but it's all good stuff..

Green Apollo Quality Silicon Ice Cube Tray Easy Release
Green Apollo Quality Silicon Ice Cube Tray Easy Release
Offered by Jas Household Suppliers
Price: 1.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Not silicone - leaves things smelling and tasting of plastic, 28 Oct 2013
I bought these for freezing food for small children. These do not appear to be silicone - silicone is odourless and inert and does not migrate into foods. As soon as i opened the packaging there was a waft of very strong plastic smells. After thoroughly washing them I then froze some water in them - the ice cubes tasted of plastic. If I'd spent more I'd seek a refund.

Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead With Emotional Intelligence
Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead With Emotional Intelligence
by Daniel Goleman

4.0 out of 5 stars A deeper look at EQ, 23 Oct 2011
If you've come across Goleman's work on emotional intelligence (EQ) and want a deeper understanding of how it might be applied in the professional setting and to leadership in particular, then this book is worth a look. It offers an analysis of how the EQ disciplines relate to Goleman's six identified leadership styles (coercive, authoritative, affiliative, democratic, coaching and pacesetter). Following on from that, there is a thorough treatment of how to go about actually developing your leadership skills in relation to the EQ framework. If anything there was more detail than i needed on the 'how', but better to have it than not - i will go back to it.

Living Leadership: A Practical Guide for Ordinary Heroes (Financial Times Series)
by George Binney

5.0 out of 5 stars True to its title, 8 July 2011
I was hoping for a lot from this after a friend referred me to its down-to-earth insights about what leadership is on a day to day basis. I've not been disappointed.

The book has a clear well worked through structure and it's regular use of concrete, gritty examples greatly helps to bring what are already practical ideas and principles to life even more.

For me, this book is powerful and useful because it is grounded in real coalface research, working alongside leaders in consulting contexts, but rather than offering off-the-shelf abstract models, they pay attention to context, individual character and the needs arising in the situation.

If you're bored of reading cogent books on leadership that are packed full of what seem like great insights, only to find you can never translate them to your context in practical ways, you may just find this is a bit different.

Strategy without Design: The Silent Efficacy of Indirect Action
Strategy without Design: The Silent Efficacy of Indirect Action
by Robert C. H. Chia
Price: 29.70

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoughtful challenge to our stuck thinking, 17 April 2011
Having been trawling for material that challenges our dominant discourse on management and leadership, particularly around strategy making and delivery, I found this book stimulating. With examples and reasoning, it pulls apart our assumption that our present day strategising moves us any closer to our intended goals. It argues instead that such deliberate strategies can undo our strategic intentions and that we may find more successful paths by relying on no intended strategy. There are examples of deliberate strategy having gone wrong in various realms and in contrast, amongst others, an account of Google's 'wayfinding' approach; the latter being the authors' preferred outlook. This oversimplifies their argument but this is the crux I think.

For me it could go further in two areas.

Firstly, in challenging the dominant management paradigm, any efficacy in our conscious intentional activity is ditched. The authors seem so set on decimating the western, empirical, positivist outlook (don't get me wrong, i too struggle with it), that they dismiss the value of tacit knowledge and our human abilities to envision futures. Don't these and other capacities suggest that good strategising could be a hybrid of conscious intentional activity, combined with and contained by a more humble, organic mindset that embraces the motto of 'know as we go' more than 'know before we go'? Instead this book swings to another extreme.

Secondly, I had been hoping for more of a practical insight into how I might begin to act differently in response to their challenge. Their critique resonates with my professional frustrations of the abstract irrelevances of strategy, but knowing how to respond in a skillful way is the hard part and the authors give little on this, suggesting that strategy without design, by its very nature, can only be sought through mysterious means. They introduce teasingly subtle and clever interpretations on practices such as metis, but don't quite ground this in action. Perhaps this is just my lack of imagination!

Overall this book has moved my thinking on, even if not quite into my action.

Complexity and Organizational Reality: Uncertainty and the Need to Rethink Management after the Collapse of Investment Capitalism
by Ralph D. Stacey
Price: 36.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts through to deep reality, 2 Sep 2010
Stacey's perspective of organisational reality is refreshingly sharp and challenging, pulling apart chunks of the dominant discourse with a razor sharp analysis of what appears to actually go on in organisations. He also proposes that much of our present management theory only serves to hide this reality behind more layers of abstraction. Stacey's command of the literature and his own mind is impressive, but be prepared for serious concentration - at times virtually every sentence seems to be another leap of deduction - it can be hard to keep up. Perhaps sometimes he just uses 10 words when 2 would do, but i don't think i'm bright enough to be sure... See what you think.

Organization Development: A Jossey-Bass Reader (The Jossey-Bass Business and Management Reader Series)
by Edgar H. Schein
Price: 18.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic account of the field, 2 Sep 2009
I work in the OD field but i'm fairly new to it and wanted to broaden my knowledge base of past and present theory and practise. I recognised quite a few of the authors (Senge, Argyris, Schein etc) before buying this but i've been equally if not even more impressed by the pieces by authors i didn't know. I've found this book to be a fantastically rich, practical and digestible account of what's out there and it's given me a lot of useful ideas and techniques to learn more about or try out. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting 1000 pages of good grounding in where the OD field sprang up from, what its landmark developments have been, who the key contributors have been / are, and what the central ideas and techniques are. If I had to offer a criticism it would be that it focuses quite a bit (not wholly) on US contributors and developments more than other parts of the world. This didn't matter a great deal to me as it covered all the relevant content and, besides, a lot of the leaders in the field have been / are in the US. Also, because it's an aggregation of many contributors, style and structure varies quite a bit and some chapters are less accessible. Nothing's impenetrable though. It also pushes towards the boundaries of where thinking is presently going and offers useful insights on contemporary challenges. I'm pleased that i bought it.