Profile for Author > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Messiah Matrix
The Messiah Matrix

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Informative, 21 May 2012
An enjoyable fast moving read that is well researched. I found myself wondering how much is fact, how much is fiction. I like the style that moved backwards and forwards through 2000 years as it gives you a different insight into history in the making, and then the long term effects. The content is thought provoking and there were times when I found myself pondering about the content in between having time to read.
I also think this novel taught me much about the institution of the church (much of which I already suspected) and I was intrigued enough to look into the biography of the author to find out which angle he was coming from.
A good absorbing read ~ along the lines of a Dan Brown book (although I hate to compare).

daily dose of dogs (aka cats with your coffee)
daily dose of dogs (aka cats with your coffee)

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational and heartwarming read ..., 15 May 2012
This is a wonderful heartwarming and inspirational book about the animal rescue work of Chrystal Parker. I've been following Chrystal's blog for a long time ~ I've cried with her, laughed with joy at her success and always remained in awe of the good work that she and her family do to help animals in need. This book chronicles Chrystal's day to day experiences in rescuing animals (mostly cats and dogs) and although one cannot help but feel angry at the suffering some humans inflict on animals through ignorance and neglect ~ one also feels joy that there are such compassionate people who truly care.
This book is well worth reading and I highly recommend it. The profits from it all go back into rescue (if you purchase directly from the publisher, Xlibris, the profits are larger therefore more will go back into the rescue).

The Most Beautiful Thing
The Most Beautiful Thing

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy, beg, borrow or download it, but read it., 4 May 2012
Sometimes when you read a book, it's as if you've thrown a stone in the water and the ripples spread out all around, going far beyond the immersion. That's how it was when I read this novel. I've told everyone I know to read it. It's an extraordinarily beautiful piece of writing, subtle and layered and thought provoking. I love the central characters, Joe and Nel and of course the cat; I love that you gradually get to know them and form your own views. I love that Joe was never actually labelled as autistic, high functioning or not. I was enthralled from beginning to end and will most definitely read more from this author. Buy it, beg for a copy, borrow it, download it, but read it; you won't be disappointed. 5 star for sure.

Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)
Gray Justice (Tom Gray #1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An ingenious plot with a surprising ending., 26 April 2012
A really good read ~ it kept me gripped from beginning to end. The storyline made me think really hard about the justice system in today's society, and its failings and what should be done about it. It's hard to say too much with spoiling the novel for others ~ but I didn't predict the ending, which was fascinating.
I completed this book yesterday, and today purchased book two in the series, enough said!

Thrift
Thrift

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read!, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Thrift (Kindle Edition)
Thrift is a light, frothy, fun read that made me laugh out loud. It gives a humorous insight into the shenanigans of reluctant students and inadequate teachers and governors, in a failing school. The characters are interestingly and convincingly drawn and despite their mutual self delusions and abilities to lie and manipulate whenever the situation requires them to do so, one ends up feeling some sympathy for them.
There were some editing errors and the conversion to an e-book was not as good as it might have been (chapter breaks were poorly laid out etc.) but overall this didn't spoil my enjoyment of a funny, witty first novel, full of pathos. I would definitely read another book by this author.

Bird Dog (TYPO FREE VERSION)
Bird Dog (TYPO FREE VERSION)

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking and interesting read, 10 April 2012
A really good thought provoking read, and despite the fact that the storyline is about two vigilantes seeking out and destroying child molesters and murderers, there is no gratuitous violence in this novel. The characters are sympathetically drawn and believable and the storyline flows really well. Unlike other readers (according to reviews) I didn't have any difficulty in working out who was who. The only thing I wasn't sure about at first was the title of the book ~ it seemed rather odd but then I looked it up and it all made sense.
There probably isn't a reader out there who hasn't thought or said what they'd do if they came face to face with a pedophile in a closed room, especially a pedophile who had harmed a child they knew. So it's hardly surprising that readers experiences a dichotomy of feelings ~ disgust at the torture and murder of the villains, yet a guilty secret pleasure at feeling that their particular brand of evilness has been extinguished by the vigilantes.
Definitely worth 4 stars ~ buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Driving Me Nuts!
Driving Me Nuts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Men lead lives of quiet desperation ..., 3 April 2012
This review is from: Driving Me Nuts! (Kindle Edition)
Warning ~ don't read this book in a public place because you will laugh out loud so often, people will think you are as insane as the three major protagonists. This novel is hilarious, witty and clever BUT much, much more; it is also a serious story, with a deeply emotional storyline and compelling, likeable characters.
You quickly realize it is a tragicomedy ~ as a shockingly awful series of events are slowly revealed as having happened to all three main characters, resulting in their withdrawal from society and their unusual crazy behavior. The author handles sensitive topics such as mental illness, and the sickening and deeply disturbing issues of child abuse and rape, with a straightforward raw and honest emotion.
When you are not laughing out loud at the humour in this novel, it makes you feel sad, sickened, angry and long for justice to be carried out against the perpetrators of these terrible offenses. The book takes you through the full emotional gamut of feelings and enables you to realize that many people live lives of quiet desperation, it's just that the rest of us are not always aware of why. We also learn of mans' indomitable spirit of survival in the face of appalling life experiences. Heartwarming as well as Horrifying.
I highly recommend this book ~ it is not just the light comedy the cover and title suggests.

Mummydaddy (The Pan Real Lives Series)
Mummydaddy (The Pan Real Lives Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover ... or its title ..., 1 April 2012
I first read a review about this book in the Sunday Times ~ and I'm glad I did because had I just seen the cover and title, I would never have picked it up. Having read the book I can understand why the title was chosen, but it doesn't (in my opinion) encourage a wide audience to read it. I also didn't feel comfortable awarding this book stars because it seems wrong to rate such a tragic heartbreaking and true story ~ but it is well written so I gave it four.
In my opinion, the author Jeremy Howe is slow and reluctant to divulge his feelings and emotions in this book. There is none of that raw, heart rending emotion you might expect, in fact he tells much of the tragedy that befell him, his wife Lizzie, and their children and family, in a matter of fact way. He also takes great pains to express (repeatedly) how after his wife's murder, he was not good at any of the the roles that in the past have been traditionally associated with women. I rather suspect that he was attempting to show just how good his late wife Lizzie had been as a wife, mother, chief cook and family organizer ~ whilst at the same time juggling a demanding and intellectual career. Yet I felt that his deprecation of himself in these so called "feminine" roles served to make him seem a little sexist ~ e.g. men are not good as this sort of thing, these are women's roles.
I thought the film that Jeremy ultimately made about his wife, psychologically fascinating; it revealed much about his state of mind. Although he saw its creation as a kind of cathartic exercise, a coming to terms with Lizzie's brutal murder and his (and the rest of the family's) loss, I saw it quite differently. It seemed to me that in making the film (where look-a-like actors played the roles) that he was distancing himself from this terrible tragedy; it was as if it hadn't happened to him, his children, the extended family ~ it was merely a drama, a play that they were able to watch from a safe distance. He described the film as bringing Lizzie back to life, albeit briefly, but I felt it highlighted that he was still in denial at the time he made it ~ that what had happened was so awful that he could never ever really come to terms with it.
I noted that the book was written some twenty years after the terrible tragedy had occurred and I wondered if that had a bearing on the way it was written?
Overall, it is a tragic story, told in a very readable way. It did show how ordinary people can overcome great adversity, and not just survive but make a new life despite what happened. I'm glad I read it and yet terribly sorry that such an experience happened to this family. I'm glad they muddled their way through the trauma, any which way they could and survived it. I was, however, surprised to read Jeremy say that there was a happy ending because although he now has a new relationship and is in love ~ there can be no happy ending to Lizzie's story. Her life was brutally taken away when she was in her prime.

BRAINRUSH, a Thriller (Book One 1)
BRAINRUSH, a Thriller (Book One 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A pacy thriller ..., 28 Mar. 2012
I read this book amazingly quickly which speaks volumes about the content. It wasn't the book I expected when I was lucky enough to get it FREE for Kindle, but I wasn't disappointed. In many ways I felt the book was one of two halves and if I'm honest I enjoyed the first half more, which is why I only gave it four stars. I presume the storyline was borrowed in part from the author's own life, in that both the author and the protagonist Jake had a brain tumour diagnosed, but survived it.
The book opens with Jake's diagnosis and him undergoing an MRI scan. During the scan an earthquake occurs and a power surge leaves his brain with amazing abilities ~ and since he is terminally ill he is willing to take the sort of risks that people with a long life ahead of them might not take. It's a powerful combination. Jake is sympathetically drawn so from the start you find yourself caring about what happens to him. His antagonist, Luciano Battista is equally well drawn and you find yourself hating him with a heated passion.
Jake quickly finds himself in the middle of a terrorist plot when he is kidnapped after refusing to accompany a psychologist (who works with autistic children) to help with research, by allowing his brain to be examined. Jake soon becomes romantically attached to the psychologist and is drawn to help the autistic children in her care, and the plot thickens.
The main characters are very believable and the descriptions as you travel with Jack from California to Italy all add to the novel. However the second half of the book takes a different turn when one of the characters has to prepare a team with a military background to fight against one of the world's largest and strongest terrorist organizations based in Afghanistan. The novel is fast and pacey in this section and it is obvious that the author has major knowledge about weaponry, but for me this second half was not as enjoyable as the first. Towards the end of the novel another genre is introduced ~ a sort of science fiction element. This part is well written but I almost felt the plot didn't need it.
I also felt the book left some questions unanswered (which I won't list or they might spoil your enjoyment) but since there is a follow up book, I assume they will be covered in that. I did enjoy this book enough to want to buy the second book in the series so I do recommend it; an interesting and enjoyable read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2012 4:19 PM BST

The Harvest
The Harvest

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 6 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Harvest (Kindle Edition)
I've just read: The Harvest by John David Krygelski ~ and it is one of the most thought provoking books I have EVER read.
I don't say this lightly as having read English literature at university (a vast array from Beowulf in the original Anglo Saxon language, through Chaucer, Shakespeare, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th Century literature, up to and including contemporary literature) and a book a week post university ~ I have read a lot of books. If you only have time to read one book this year ~ make it this one. It's a novel ~ but much more.
Without spoiling it for you, it's about a figure who is all seeing, all knowing, capable of performing miracles, articulate, knowledgeable and wise beyond belief, who calls himself Elohim (God). He arrives on earth for The Harvest. The conversations that follow in Washington when he is interrogated, are like reading a philosophical treatise on biblical historical record, religions, the "life After", morality, politics, law, relationships, psychology, quantum physics ... and much much more. It's a breathtaking, deeply theological, philosophical, and scientific discourse.
It will lead you to examine many of your own perceptions and re-evaluate some. Some folk may be offended by it ~ but if you have an open mind and like to really think, you will enjoy it.
It's one of the best books I've ever read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2012 7:14 PM BST