Profile for annie2shoes > Reviews

Widowing of Mrs Holroyd [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Widowing of Mrs Holroyd [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Ian Holm

1.0 out of 5 stars INCORRECT INFORMATION!, 28 May 2014
This dvd is advertised with actors completely different to Zoe Wannamaker and Colin Firth!! How does one know one is getting the correct dvd????

The Railway Man [DVD]
The Railway Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant and Moving Film!, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Railway Man [DVD] (DVD)
My friends and I have seen the film several times - and it improves on second, third viewing. It is profoundly moving, a true story about Eric Lomax and his time as a Japanese prisoner of war, and is also the tale of his torturer. We met Patti Lomax, played sympathetically by Nicole Kidman, and Patti echoes her husband's words - 'Sometime the hating has to stop'. It is a film about extreme pain - and redemption. Jeremy Irivne plays the young Eric Lomax, and together with Colin Firth, they synchronise their acting as to be really and truly believable as the young and the older Eric. I am eagerly waiting for the dvd!

Colin Firth Unofficial Calendar 2009 (A3 Calendar)
Colin Firth Unofficial Calendar 2009 (A3 Calendar)
by Street Hassle Publishing
Edition: Calendar

1.0 out of 5 stars Madness!, 23 Oct 2013
Is the person selling this just a little crazy? All of us Firthie Fans have the calendars, should we all try for this atrocious and exploitative price? Shocking - they ought to be ashamed of themselves!

Gambit [DVD]
Gambit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved Gambit!, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: Gambit [DVD] (DVD)
we went to see the 15.45 show of Gambit at the Empire, a huge cinema where the premiere took place. We sat near the front, so were ‘immersed’ in the film. From the get-go, we laughed! I was so relieved – after all the negative reviews, I was fully expecting to sit there stony faced, as I have in some of Colin’s other films, but from the first cartoons, a spoof of The Pink Panther, and throughout the film, we laughed and enjoyed it tremendously!

I really liked the cartoons, especially the way Colin’s character, Harry Dean, was drawn – wide shoulders (and I should know, having been pushed and falling against them at the ASM premiere!), square jaw, dark glasses, clumsy and ham-fisted, befitting his character. Mark Kermode criticised them, but the story is so familiar now, that it didn’t matter.

But as soon as Colin appeared, I had to catch my breath – good grief, I have not seen him look so beautiful since ASM! I think they photographed him really well, lots of his ‘best’ left-hand side face, his skin was smooth, his eyes dark and luscious, and as for his legs! I do think, however, that the director was so in awe of him that he didn’t edit the film tightly enough, which is why there was too much dialogue in places, when, as Barbie pointed out, Colin acts with his face. So I felt the middle section needed either cutting or editing. But that is a small point.

There were a number of imagined sequences, where everything went as planned for Harry, only to fall into disarray when faced with reality – like the heavy Southern accent of Cameron Diaz’s character. For my ears, this took some getting used to, but I did, and thought it appropriate for her character.

We both like the scenes in the Savoy the best – they were well-filmed and very funny. He did not take his trousers off twice, as Kermode said, he just left them off! We both wondered how the scene on the face of the building was filmed – was it CGI, or did they film it flat? The scenes in the bedroom were hilarious and a wonderful cameo role for British actress, Selina Cadell, who was in Doc Martin and loads of other films and tv productions. But Colin in a dressing gown can come to my bedroom anytime! These scenes weren’t in the trailer, so a delightful surprise!

I loved Tom Courtney and the role he played with such droll humour! Alan’s role, though important, wasn’t big enough, I feel and his character could have been developed more. Stanley Tucci was, for me, just excruciating and his role wasn’t made clear enough, I thought. I also didn’t like the so-called German accent, which was hard to decipher.

But the story was quite clever and I liked the twist at the end, but no romance, except between Shabandar and Cameron’s character. At least she got to throw her noose after all that practice!

But as an art historian, and knowing Compton Verney well, as I live fairly near there, I really appreciated the art history side of the film, and especially the twist at the end – great stuff! The paintings looked spectacular and Colin didn’t say ‘Manet’ as in one of the trailers (I was watching out for that mistake!). This part of the story was well-woven together and made a lot of sense to us on the professional side, with so many falsifications and copies about.

I shall go and see it a few more times on the big screen, before the video comes out – and I can’t wait to make some videos of Colin’s beautiful face and lovely legs, haha!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2013 10:55 PM BST

Waldbuhne Concert: American Night [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Waldbuhne Concert: American Night [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Karina Huber
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 9.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Colin Firth???, 1 May 2013
As there is no description of this dvd and you include Colin Firth's name, I would like you to specify if he REALLY performs on this?

Pray The Devil Back To Hell [DVD]
Pray The Devil Back To Hell [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kirsten Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring film!, 7 Jan 2011
This is one of the most inspiring films I have seen. It is about a group of women who are sick and tired of the war in their country, Liberia, and the despotic dictator. They gather together and start to protest, taking it right up to their parliament, locking the men in until they agree to stop the war. They wear simple white tee shirts and head dresses and paint banners calling for Peace. How reminiscent of our protests against Cruise Missiles at Greenham Common - it shows the power that women have, if only they would recognise it!