Profile for Mr E. McConnell > Reviews

Content by Mr E. McConnell

Mr E. McConnell

Page: 1 | 2
KitSound Boom Evolution 2.1 Sound System Speakers with Bluetooth Connectivity Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets and MP3 Devices Including iPhone 4/4S/5/5S/5C/6/6 Plus, iPad 2/3/4/Air/Mini, iPod Nano 7th Generation, iPod Touch 5th Generation, Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4/S5, Galaxy Note 2/3, Galaxy Tab 2/3/4, Xperia Z1/Z2, HTC One/One M8 and Google Nexus 5/7/10, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong for £150, 5 Aug 2014
I've been trying to track down a decent bluetooth speaker for a while. I bought & returned a Cambridge Audio Air 100 and bought this for £100 cheaper. OK, it doesn't sound quite as good as the Air 100 but for £150 quid it sounds pretty darn good and it'll blow your windows out at max volume.

The bass is a bit much on the zero setting; I tend to have it on -5 (-6 is the absolute least). +6 must be for Dappy from N-Dubz.

It connects in a jiffy to my Samsung Galaxy S3 and is rock solid (the Air 100 kept dropping out).
The USB connector on the back for charging is a nice touch too.

The Machine
The Machine

1.0 out of 5 stars SPOILER: minor boring details of The Machine enclosed (only 40% through), 19 May 2014
This review is from: The Machine (Kindle Edition)
The machine is black & cold... and cold & black .. and it's got a screen which is also black but blacker when turned off and the machine hums both when plugged in and when not plugged in. I imagine it being similar to a large (black) Photocopier.

I'm 40% through the kindle version; blackness & temperature seem to be the major themes of this novel so far. Nothing has happened yet.

The most pacey bit to this point is when she upgrades the Machine's firmware with a USB stick (I'm not joking).
[It's also very "black" inside The Machine, in case your were wondering. No mention of interior temperature.]

I'm tempted to ditch this book completely but I'm interested how bad it can actually get.

I'll keep you posted of further developments.

When the Professor got Stuck in the Snow
When the Professor got Stuck in the Snow

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard to believe this is the same author who wrote "Little Hands Clapping", 12 Mar 2014
I don't quite know where to start with this book. I've read several Dan Rhodes books and liked them but this is a very disappointing read.

The whole book seems to be a hatchet job on Richard Dawkins who Dan Rhodes clearly intensely dislikes. Not a funny hatchet job either.
He creates such a grotesque caricature of Dawkins, so out of line with the reality, that the "jokes" just fall flat. You repeatedly think "well, he just wouldn't do that though, would he?". I have read to the end, where there's a revelation (which I won't spoil), but that just makes the book all the weaker in my opinion because it prevents Rhodes having to realistically (and humously) engage with his subject.

I think Dan Rhodes is criticizing what he *wishes* Richard Dawkins was, not what he actually *is*. This is why he creates such a ridiculous straw man and appends such a lame get-out-of-jail-free clause at the end of the book as a way of dodging any serious criticism.

As for Richard Dawkins, I think he can confidently remain silent and hold off the lawyers.
On the evidence of this book, Dan Rhodes seems intent on committing literary suicide anyway.

Fast USB Ethernet Network/LAN Adaptor For Nintendo Wii
Fast USB Ethernet Network/LAN Adaptor For Nintendo Wii
Offered by MoveAir

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 2 Dec 2013
Didn't work for me. Absolutely nothing doing.
Not a thing. Na da. Zip. Brown bread. Dead as a door nail.
Returned.

A Manual for Creating Atheists
A Manual for Creating Atheists

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad he's not my friend, 28 Nov 2013
I've read all the new atheist books: hitchens, harris, dennet, dawkins. I'm a big fan.

However, I find this guy insufferable. If I was a believer and his friend and he kept bothering me with the kind of tactics he promotes in this book he wouldn't remain my friend for very long.

I don't agree with faith but trying to turn the mass of unbelievers into secular missionaries is just going to turn people off all the more. I don't like it when some religious fundie tries to convert me on the street and I suspect believers feel the same way.

By all means have a friendly, meaningful conversation with your friends about faith if it comes up in conversation. Make your position clear. However, starting that conversation with the intention of converting them is an intrusion in my opinion and probably won't end well.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2013 8:13 AM GMT

FSL ZERO Wireless Bluetooth Headphones / Headset with Remote and Mic for all Smartphones (iPhone / iPad / Android / Windows / Samsung Galaxy / HTC etc) - 3 YEAR WARRANTY
Offered by iHeadphones UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be a mindless beats drone, buy these, 25 Nov 2013
I can only echo what others have said about these headphones.
Great sound, great price, battery lasts for ages.

...and you don't look look like a knob like you would if you bought beat by dre.

We
We

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird Style, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: We (Kindle Edition)
I like a good dystopia but this was disappointing.

I don't know if it's the translation or not but this is a very odd read. It's very disjointed, and doesn't flow at all. It's as if the main character is SHOUTING all the time in an attempt to capture my attention when sometimes a whisper is more effective.
Also! I don't know whether it was the author's or the translator's exclamation mark (!) key that was stuck on their typewriter! But that particular punctuation mark was annoyingly overused!

There's also a weird element of his style where he repeatedly just stops a sentence part of the ...

(Really annoying after the 120th time).

The basic idea is interesting. Ruined either by poor execution or poor translation or both.

How to Win Friends and Influence People
How to Win Friends and Influence People

1.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for the 1930s travelling salesman, 27 Aug 2013
I've never read a "self-help" book before as I hold the genre in pretty low regard - but I saw an article somewhere describing this book as containing some uncommon wisdom so thought I'd overcome my initial bias & give it a try.

After reading it, I can condense this book into to 2 words: "be nice".

That is generally good advice, but repeating the same dumb platitudes over & over like the reader is some kind of moron is extremely tiresome. To compound this error, in the foreword, the author recommends continually re-reading each section as if it were so packed with valuable information that only repeated readings could extract the wisdom therein.

In summary, this is probably sage advice for the 1930s travelling salesman. Homely anecdotes with a whiff of apple pie & gingham.
Just try these techniques on some jaded 21st century corporate tax lawyer and see how that works out for you.

If you do read it, just read the one-line summary at the end of each section, although (unbelievably) even these repeat themselves.

I don't understand how this book has received the praise it has, it's almost entirely content-free.

I should probably take its advice and only list the good points, being "lavish in my praise".
However, I wish someone has warned me how poor this book actually was so I'm providing this review as a public service.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2014 11:58 PM BST

The C++ Programming Language
The C++ Programming Language
by Bjarne Stroustrup

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Bjarne, but you're no writer, 17 Jun 2013
I've got all editions of this book.
I hoped this one would be better but it's not really (apart from the code font).

Like everyone else (probably) I bought this book to learn about C++11.
However, whatever I want to know about, it never seems like the section I look up has sufficient coverage; I never quite seem to get the meat. As a result, it's unsatisfying. The information may well be in here but if it is it's spread thinly and everywhere. I never get the feeling I can fold down a page or insert a sticky for that section I go back to again and again.

It's not a tutorial and it's not a reference so what is it exactly?

It's heavy though. Well done there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 10:48 AM BST

The Quantum Thief
The Quantum Thief

1.0 out of 5 stars Another potential frisbee, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Quantum Thief (Kindle Edition)
I'm on page 9 and I've got that sinking feeling that I've bought another stinker.
This is the second crap book in a row I've bought based on Amazon reviews.
I think I'll return to my tried and tested method of judging a book by it's cover.
At least I never would have bought this one by using that metric.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2013 7:45 PM BST