Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 116

SBno1
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Maybelline Dream Blender
Maybelline Dream Blender

4.0 out of 5 stars Blending made easier, 6 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has a soft smooth sponge on a stumpy handle. The handle is comfortable to hold and easy to manoeuvre. The fine tip gives a hand to precision blending. This is the first time I have used a sponge in this style, but I found it quite useful and easy enough to use. I did find it easier to get the bulk of the foundation done using my usual sponge, and then switch to this in places where I needed to blend the foundation and edging off etc. It certainly gives a better end result than using my flat sponge alone.

Wakiso Leather Canvas Designer Smart Case Cover for Apple iPad Mini 1/2/3 with Stand, Hand Strap, Shock Proof Silicone Protection and Premium Suede Interior - Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Up Feature
Offered by Zomondo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent level of protection, 6 Feb. 2016
I received this item for review from Amazon courtesy of the seller for review. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review.

My iPad mini fits perfectly into this case. There is a silicone skin that fits onto the iPad and then it clips into a rugged plastic case which in turn is fixed to the outer shell. The outer shell is a canvas type material and the folding joint is made from leather, so that it won't snap, weaken or break up with use. The inner case is made from a soft suede like material so as not to scratch or damage the iPad. This in turn has a handle for you to slip your hand in to make it comfortable for a one hand hold. The case is kept closed with a sturdy band similar to the type you find on hard cover notebooks. The case can be folded around into a 2 positioned angled stand. All cut outs are well defined with no interference to the sockets and buttons.

The iPad has a good all-round protection with all corners and side protected with the inner case. The outer cover also gives edge protection as it is slightly larger than the inner case. I wasn't going to drop test it deliberately, but as chance would have it, I dropped it onto a tiled floor with the corner making solid contact. Thankfully, the iPad was held firmly in place and never popped out and there was a little crumpling of the outer case corner as it absorbed the impact, but that straightened out and you would never know it had been dropped.

The question I tend to ask myself when I have something for review is; would I buy this if I needed another. The answer is, yes with no hesitation

Farewell Luggage Tags (2 Pack) - ULTRA DURABLE PVC Travel Tag for Suitcases - Bright Baggage Labels with Thick Steel Cable (Orange)
Offered by Farewell Travel Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely tough and hard wearing., 6 Feb. 2016
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this item is identical to the retail product.

These are made from a decent thickness rubber type material. There are 5 raised white bands in which to write your details on. I suggest using a Sharpie fine point marker or some other permanent ink that won't wash out. The wire cable simply feeds through the reinforced hole in the tag and then onto your luggage. I suggest some strong anchor point on your case. The wire cable feeds end to end and screws up. I have used wire ties like these before and they are a favourite of mine, so I was most pleased to see that these tags use them. The simply screw together, but you do need to make sure they line up squarely before you tighten them. Don't use anything mechanical, just hand tight. They are a little fiddly, but once on they are not going anywhere. Just be sure to check the tightness before each check-in.

These tags are incredibly strong and I was able to lift up a 15kg case by this tag, though I don't recommend doing this on a regular basis. The tags are sure to last for many journeys and will hold up to the rigours of over-zealous baggage handlers. The bright colours also help with spotting your case on a carousel. A highly recommended must-have for travellers.
Comment Comment | Permalink

InnoGear 400 Lumen Solar Powered Outdoor Motion Sensor Light Rechargeable Waterproof Outdoor Solar Wall/Porch/Pathway/Garden/Street Light (Screwdriver Included)
Offered by InnoGearEU

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright light and easy to fit, 31 Jan. 2016
I received one of these direct from Amazon, courtesy of the seller. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review.

This lamp was a piece of cake to put up. If mounting this on a solid wall, then you will need to be able to use a drill, but other than that, no DIY skills are required. You simply unscrew the back plate to find the 2x 18650 rechargeable batteries and a power switch. Simply set the switch to the setting you want: On when someone walks past in the dark, On dim all night and brightens when someone walks past or on full brightness all night. Obviously the last 2 settings will deplete the battery faster. When done, fit the back panel securely and use the supplied template to mark out the 2 places to fit the screws (supplied with wall plugs). Mine went into a wooden fence, so I was up and running in less than a minute.

You should ideally situate this where the sun will shine on it for most of the day to charge the batteries especially if having it on all night. It isn't essential to mount it in line of the sun as the batteries can simply be charged in a suitable mains charger if they run low.

The light this gives off is a very clean and bright. I have mine lighting my driveway as I reverse onto it and it has made a big difference in visibility and safety. It has been through some heavy downpours and is exposed to the elements, but so far it is functioning perfectly.

Easy to fit, does a good job of lighting up dark areas, stands up to the elements and no need to get an electrician or wiring certificates. For me this is a no brainer and an easy 5 stars

Humble Brush White Bamboo Toothbrush
Humble Brush White Bamboo Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent idea, 29 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I watched a program about an island in the Pacific Ocean where 3 ocean currents merge. Sadly, the currents bring a host of human generated rubbish floating on the surface. The Albatross are fooled into thinking the rubbish is food and end up eating it. The result was lots of dead birds with belly's full of plastic. One of the most prominent pieces of rubbish in their stomachs was toothbrushes. So I really hope that this item takes off.

The toothbrush has a little way to go before it can wholly compete with mainstream suppliers and hopefully convert customers:
The edges on the head need a little more rounding off to make it comfortable against the cheek and the bristles could benefit with a range of firmness's to cater for different needs - I found this a bit too soft, although this would be ideal for others.

It always takes a few days to get used to a new toothbrush, so some perseverance is needed. It is also helpful to dry the brush after use.

I really hope this takes off - for the sake of the Albatross at least!

Diadermine Wrinkle Expert 3D High Performing Anti-Wrinkle Pads (12 pads)
Diadermine Wrinkle Expert 3D High Performing Anti-Wrinkle Pads (12 pads)

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, but not really better than traditional moisturiser, 26 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently tried a night cream from Diadermine and that was a 5 star product, but these pads just don't rock my boat. They are easy enough to apply, clean and convenient, but time consuming when compared to slapping on some moisturiser with similar anti-wrinkle promises. Also, the price for just 6 treatments is very costly and could equate to as much as £240 a year if used regularly.

Initially, I could see that there was some re-plumping to fine lines, but for anyone to really notice, they would have to invade your personal space, even then they may not see a difference unless you only treated one eye for a comparison. I would have been happy with this, but the effects are not particularly long lasting.

I wouldn't say don't buy these as they do have some benefit, I just don't see that the end result is worth the time or expense. I'll stick to their moisturiser (which I would still have to use with these pads).

GLW® 30W Waterproof LED Flood Light, Outdoor Garden Light, Cold White 6000-6500k Spotlight, Security Light, light-weight Lamp
Offered by GLW LED Lighting

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have a very close junction box or DIY skills, 25 Jan. 2016
II got this to replace a 500 watt Halogen light. It no where near as bright, but it is enough light to my garden to see what you are doing. This is no complaint as I anticipated it and prefer it (as do my neighbours ! ). The light spill is clean and even and gives a good arc. The only real adjustment you have is the tilt. As it only consumes 30 watts I don't get so annoyed when someone forgets to turn it off, though I still complain.

I knew from other reviews that the lead was going to be short and I had already decided to replace it. What I didn't realise was that the lead is of absolutely no use to anyone unless you have a waterproof junction box right next to the light (it wouldn't even reach through a single skin breeze block). I rather hoped I could get my existing 1.5mm flex into the unit, but the entry point is too small. I had to make do with some round mains cable from an old toaster and put a junction box in my garage.

The next annoyance is that you cannot replace the flex as it is directly wired into a sealed regulator / supply unit for the LED. You have to put a connector block inside, but there is plenty of room for this. The supplied cable has a very thin core, so care will need to be taken when stripping it (I recommend tinning the ends with solder to give the connector block something to grip.

It took me longer to sort the wire out than to put the unit up. The bracket fit perfectly over my existing drill holes as did the cable point, but to tighten the bracket to the wall properly, you will either need a right angle screwdriver or remove the bracket from the light.

Once all the messing about was done I was left with a pretty good light that I am happy with. Of course I would have saved myself a lot of messing about if the cable had been about 1m in length or like most external flood lights, came with a water-tight junction box to take a standard lighting cable.

Lenspen Peeps Eyeglass Cleaner - Black
Lenspen Peeps Eyeglass Cleaner - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and clever, 25 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a plastic case with a push out brush at one end for brushing dust off the lenses. Probably useful if you misplaced your glasses and found them 30 years later, but it's there if you want it.

Pull the case apart and you have a pair of plastic arms reminiscent of a pair of tweezers the ends of which have 2 little pads. Push the pads over the lens and make small circular motions to clean the lens. Don't be tempted to squeeze as it makes wiping difficult. If the lens is thin, then apply a little pressure, else let them do the work with a little downward or upward pressure alternately.

I was impressed with these. The smudgy fingerprints I had put on the lenses pretty much disappeared straight away. I proceeded to stick a freshly moisturised thumb print on the lens and tried again. It took a little more wiping, but it did the trick. If the marks are excessively oily I would imagine it would struggle without some form of degreasing. They do recommend the old huffing on the lens if the mark is stubborn, but I haven't had the need to do it.

I usually use a micro-fibre cleaning cloth at home and my T-shirt when out - both do the job, so I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy one and certainly wouldn't carry it around with me. However, I would wholly recommend it if you were contemplating buying one.

AmazonBasics 1.5 Litre Ice-Crushing Blender - Black
AmazonBasics 1.5 Litre Ice-Crushing Blender - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A no nonsence blender, 17 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know what the retail price is of this yet, so my review doesn't reflect this for the time being.

This blender is a bit of a no nonsense machine. It is just a jug and base unit with no other attachments that you might get with multi function blenders. The base unit is reasonably steady when in use with rubber feet. It doesn't have sucker feet to hold it solid on smooth surfaces, so you will need to keep hands on when spinning.

Just chuck in your ingredients and fire up the speed you want. It has plenty of power to smash through ice and to pulp up any food products. The heavy glass jug (a bonus over my plastic Morphy Richards jug) holds up to 1.5 Lt, but you are advised to reduce the quantity depending on how the blended material foams and expands, a safe limit is 1-1.2Lt.

I have fruit / veg smoothies every day and this is more than capable of mixing up what I want. It powers through and blends the foodstuff in very little time with no more noise than other blenders I have used. The jug and lid are easily hand washed afterward.

If you want a simple and straightforward blender you won't go far wrong with this.

AmazonBasics Premium Multifunctional Kitchen Shears
AmazonBasics Premium Multifunctional Kitchen Shears

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean cutting edge and sharp, 17 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst many of the Amazon basics range have a bit of a budget feel to them, this pair of scissors is an exception. They have a very good quality build and design. They are robust and have a decent thickness of steel and give a very good cutting edge. They come apart for thorough cleaning (hand wash only) and then go back together just as simply.

The plastic handles are comfortable in left or right hand and they come equipped with a bottle opener and a nut cracker / bottle opener, though I wouldn't specifically recommend them for that purpose. One of the blades has a slight serrated side on the non-cutting edge, apparently it is for descaling fish, but I can't comment on the usefulness of this as I have never had to do such a task.

One thing I look for scissors is that they should cut thin plastic bags. That might seem daft, but many scissors I have had in the past have been great on thick materials, but plastic freezer bags seem to just fold between the blades and not cut. This pair of scissors pretty much chopped up every thing I threw at it and gave very neat cuts too.

Wholly recommended.