Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Chef Aid Metal Cake Tester, White
Offered by Cake and Cookie Central
Price: 0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and effective, 26 July 2014
It dos what it promises. A simple probe you stab into the cake ad withdraw. If it is clean you are done, if it is covered in stick cake mix then you need to put it back in the oven and hope that it doesn't now sink because you jumped the gun!

A great probe, easy to clean and not likely to break off in the cake.

Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Price: 18.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent VFM, 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My reviews of Carte Noire capsules are the same (as they function and perform the same), but differ in the review of taste.

These are individually wrapped plastic capsules that when opened release a burst of roast coffee aroma that floods the senses. Even my wife, who is not a coffee drinker commented on the alluring aroma.

I have some reservations over plastic capsules as some I have tried have failed to puncture correctly and this has led to weak coffee and wasted capsules. Pre-perforated plastic capsules have performed better, but these are not pre-perforated and are sealed, so I wasn't expecting them to work as well.

The capsules fit perfectly in my Nespresso machine and I set the coffee to lungo. I was pleasantly surprised when the coffee started to flow as if I had put in an aluminium capsule. The coffee amount seemed to be just right and there was little evidence of back feed of water where it had failed to push through the capsule. the real quantity test is that my super-size coffee mug takes 2 lungos and milk set to the latte mark in my Aerocchino. With Nespresso capsules this gives me a full mug of Latte. With the Carte Noire capsules the level was just short, which means they were performing as well as the aluminium Nespresso capsules. Flow test passed!

Of course the quantity is a moot point if the coffee doesn't taste right. I prefer dark and bold coffees with heavy earthy tastes. This sits in the middle of the Carte Noire strength range and is just a bit milder than I would normally go for. My wife prefers milder coffees and she finds to be about as strong as she would want to go. I didn't detect any bitterness to this and the acidity is a nice balance. The crema is clean and golden and there is little evidence of muddying from a too fine a grind. A good balance for a family that has different preferences in strengths of coffee.

Carte Noire have a good instant and filter range of coffees, so it stands to reason that they can produce a decent coffee in a capsule format. They have a range of strengths in numerical values 1-10 with 10 being the boldest. So there should be a cup for every one.

In terms of value for money, at the current price of 19 GBP for 80 capsules this puts each capsule at just under 24p each. This has to be one of the cheapest capsules I have seen and tried and that is worth trying again.

Bottom line: Good coffee, a capsule that functions as it should and excellent value for money.

Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Price: 19.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent VFM, 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Of course the quantity is a moot point if the coffee doesn't taste right. I prefer dark and bold coffees with heavy earthy tastes. This hits the spot in terms of being a bold roast, but it lacks the stronger earthy tones that I prefer. That is not a bad thing of course as this is personal preference. The coffee is dark and maintains the roasted smell that often dissipates with lighter coffees upon brewing. The coffee has a golden crema and the bottom of the cup doesn't have that muddy dust you can get with too fine a grind. A very good cup for those who like strong coffee.

In terms of value for money, at the current price of 20 GBP for 80 capsules this puts each capsule at just 25p each. This has to be one of the cheapest capsules I have seen and tried.

Samsung battery charger USB cable for WB100,WB200,WB550,WB600,WB650,WB700,WB720
Samsung battery charger USB cable for WB100,WB200,WB550,WB600,WB650,WB700,WB720
Offered by HKT TRADER LTD
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a sturdy cable and has a decent feel of quality to ..., 25 July 2014
It is a sturdy cable and has a decent feel of quality to it. It charged up my Samsung WB600 camera and that is all I could really ask from it.

The trader that sent mine was HKT Trader, not sure if other traders would dispatch the exact same lead.

Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Price: 17.23

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a very easy case to fit, 24 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Please note that this review is for the Samsung Galaxy S5 version of the case. Amazon have different versions of the case on the same page, therefore reviews will be mixed together.

This is a very easy case to fit. Just drop the phone into the silicone section and pop the hard shell on top of that. Job done.

I recently had a Griffin type military case with chunky silicone buffers on the corners and an inner frame that snapped onto the back late to hold the case in place should it hit the floor. This worked well and a few drops were survived. However, the trade off is the additional bulk. This case tries to reach a compromise between protection and size. It carries it off well and it looks and feels sturdy enough.

However, I have my reservations. The phone sits in snugly, but there is no lip running around to keep the phone in place. I just have this feeling that if the phone hits the floor it will dislodge and spill out. I guess by then most of the energy from the fall will have been dissipated on impact, but I have visions of the phone sliding across the floor. I can't say for sure if this will be the case (no pun intended) and only an accident will confirm or put to bed my fears.

I can't mark the case down for my unfounded fears, but I am taking a star off for grip in the hand. The case has a nice textured finish, but it is smooth to hold. If you don't have a tight grip on the phone it could just slip right out of your hand. The military type cases were quite rubbery for impact absorption and grip in hand. You can hold the phone in the flat of your hand at an angle and it will stay put, with this one it stars to slide off your hand at just a few degrees of angle.

It is a nice case with all necessary cut outs lining up perfectly. It doesn't interfere with the camera lens, charging port or earphones. At the current price of 17 GBP it is a bit pricey, but does look good and is in keeping with the styling of the S5

Mustard Seed Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 5/5S
Mustard Seed Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 5/5S
Price: 8.49

4.0 out of 5 stars good screen protection, easy to apply, 24 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great screen protector and much easier to apply than some of the cheaper films. Just make sure the screen is clean and dry. A screen wipe is included and it pays dividends to spend a little time polishing the screen so that there are no marks to be seen. Use a table top in a well lit room and remove any casing that you may have.

The instructions say to pull the one film downwards, I assume that this is to stop dust falling on the film prior to attachment. Then line the plastic frame up with the iPhone and press down. When lining up make sure you have the film the right way around with the cut out over the home button. When it is done peel back the top layer and you should be done.

Any air bubbles can be gently wiped toward the nearest edge. If by chance dust is trapped you can peel the film back and use the supplied cleaning card to pick away the dust which will no doubt be stuck to the film.

When laying the film down I found that the plastic frame was just a fraction smaller than the phone so it sat at a slight angle which later led to a slight misalignment. Also markings on the outer peel away film obscured the cut outs so I couldn't do any final adjustments before pressing the film down. I didn't quite get mine lined up as perfectly as I liked and so the film rested slightly over the front facing camera lens. It was easy enough to peel the whole film up and manually re-lay it, but I did introduce 2 specks of dust, both of which were easily removed.

As with all films, you need a little care and patience. If you do make a mistake then you can correct it. The film is a heck of a lot easier to handle than most others.

NOCO BLSOLAR2 Solar Battery Charger
NOCO BLSOLAR2 Solar Battery Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful under certain circumstances, 22 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't something you need for a household car. There is no need to top up the charge when you are out and about. If the car is used daily/weekly the alternator will do the job for you. If it is necessary to keep topping up the charge of your car when it is in regular use, then you probably have a fault in the battery or charging circuit and this is not going to fix that or act as a work-around.

I would not recommend this as a replacement for a battery charger either, not unless you live in Arizona and don't need to use the car for a few weeks. The output is less than a trickle compared to a small battery charger.

What this charger is recommended for infrequently used batteries that are left connected during the period of inactivity e.g classic cars, motorbikes, caravans, motor-homes etc. If used in a vehicle that sits outside, then you can simply mount the charger in a window, preferably south facing to maximise on best sunlight although direct sunlight isn't necessary. If the vehicle is stored in a garage then you will have to look at rigging up the charger outside and making some extension leads to reach it.

The kit comes with croc clips to clamp straight onto the battery terminals or a 12v lighter plug (though I am not sure that all cigarette lighter sockets can charge a battery if power is sent through it). There is virtually no assembly, other than trying to place the pad in a decent position.

I used this on my motorbike to start with as I have become an infrequent rider. Fortunately, I could slip the leads under the garage door and prop the pad against the wall. It seemed to be a solution but, it was just as easy for me to disconnect / reconnect the battery on the bike when being stored (as I have been doing) than it was to mess about with the charger.

I gave it to a friend with a caravan that was in a storage compound. He had a lead acid battery in it for some reason that I don't understand. He usually took the battery home periodically to charge it. Now he said he is able to leave the battery in the caravan with the charger attached and keep it fully charged.

This is a well built device and has a feel of good quality about it. The leads are sturdy and the interchangeable connectors are weatherproofed. It has its uses, but they are limited.

Multiple Ports Wall/Desktop USB Charger 33-Watt 5V/6.5A Portable 6-Port Battery Charger | Charge Up To 6 Devices Simultaneously At Full Speed | For iPhone, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S4, Note 3, Sony Xperia, Moto G, PlayStation Controllers, E-readers | 30 Days Money Back Guarantee And 24 Months Warranty - Glossy Black
Offered by The Ago!
Price: 9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite must have for the USB household, 19 July 2014
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review, so if necessary they can improve their products. As far as I am aware this is identical to the retail item.

In the box you get a mains cable and the USB hub. The hub is a polished plastic block that is both sturdy and solidly built. The mains cable simply plugs into the back and that is it. Simple no fuss and ready to go.

With so many devices that need to be charged via a USB cable, it is about time some one had the ingenuity to bring out a mains powered hub for charging these devices. 6 USP ports and each are marked up to give you an indication of which one to use. Not all the ports are powered the same, so if you have a power hungry device like the iPhone, you will need to populate that particular port. For devices that are not so fussy like a Kindle e-book, then any port will do.

I tested this with A Samsung Galaxy S5, Kindle, iPhone, iPod, Bluetooth speakers and a Samsung WB600 digital camera. All devices showed as charging. After about an hour the temperature of the block was warm to touch, but not hot, which is to be expected. After a few hours each of my devices started to show as being fully charged and I could start populating the free ports with other devices. I am leaving this plugged in with leads attached so that members of the household have one place to go for charging their devices without having to hunt around the house for free outlets.

The block looks like it should stand upright, but with several leads plugged in, it is more stable if you lay it flat.

The acid test here is would I have bought one had I not received one for testing, and the answer is a resounding yes. It is a reasonable price for a very useful and good quality answer to the modern USB hungry household.

EDIT: Initially I didn't think this was charging my Asus tablet as the charge light never lit up. Turns out my lead was faulty. A change of lead and the tablet charges fine. Stupid me for not checking the obvious!

JTL-8 Mini Portable Multifunction Bluetooth Speaker (white)
JTL-8 Mini Portable Multifunction Bluetooth Speaker (white)
Offered by buyinsummer
Price: 8.56

4.0 out of 5 stars neat and compact, 18 July 2014
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have left me to write what I want good or bad. As far as I am aware this is identical to the retail item.

The speaker is very small, you could enclose it in your fist and no one would see it. It is one inch square and just over an inch in height. With a speaker that small in size and price you can't expect to have deep rich bass tones and I wouldn't mark it down for this.

The device is easy to pair up, just switch on by pressing the power button for about 2 seconds until the device greets you with a pleasant "Hi, I'm ready, waiting for a connection.". then set your device to scan Bluetooth. When the connection is made you are further informed with "Bluetooth connected". Job done, ready to rock.

Fire up a video or song and the sound comes through quite clearly. There is surprisingly very little hiss, but the speaker does lack bass, again, I would expect that from a speaker this size. The volume is quite loud and is controlled by the phone and it does come through clearly. I was able to pause music and videos by tapping the power button, but I could not restart them, it had to be done on the phone (Samsung Galaxy S5). The instructions say you can play and pause, so I am not sure if this is a fault, or an incompatibility issue. Whatever it is, it isn't a big problem.

Taking and breaking a call is simply a tap on the power button. The caller comes through clearly on the speaker, but like the phone, you have to have the mic near your mouth. The caller couldn't hear my voice when the speaker was more than 1 foot away from my mouth. Again, not a problem as you have to do the same with your phone.

If the Bluetooth is switched off you are told, but if the phone goes out of Bluetooth range an alarm will sound on the speaker. The alarm is an intermittent sound and is loud enough to hear, but if your are in a noisy environment, it may get missed.

This nifty little device can also be used as a remote shutter release, but it looks like you need an app to make use of this feature. I haven't been able to do this yet as I am mot sure on what app it is. Will edit this when I work it out.

There is a little lanyard with a peg that fits into your earphone socket of the phone so you don't misplace the speaker, it doesn't fit as tight as a headphone plug, but that is just as well, you wouldn't want it snapping off. It isn't something I would use because if the Bluetooth speaker was fixed to the phone and this gets picked up, then the alarm isn't going to sound, so probably best not fix it to the phone.

Bottom line: a solid little chunk of a speaker with surprisingly clear sound for its small size, lacks a bit of bass and you need to be close to the mic to use it as a hands free. It would make a great gift for a younger teen that has a phone or Bluetooth capable mp3 player.

[2 PACK] Premium Dry Bags - two 500D PVC Tarp waterproof dry bags (170 Oz and 340 Oz) for outdoor activities and watersports - Lifetime Warranty (blue and yellow)

5.0 out of 5 stars Say goodbye to wet clothes, 18 July 2014

These are not advertised as waterproof and not to be fully submerged, but as a test I submerged the 5lt bag in the bath whilst it had some towels in it. It was only a quick dunk, but other than the residual water that ran into the bag when I opened it, the contents were completely dry. Admittedly, longer submersion will let water in, but the idea of the exercise was to see if dropping this in water momentarily would allow immediate water ingress, which it didn't. I had to expel the air out of my bag in order to submerge it, but if the bag is puffed up and the weightier items at the base, this bag should float on the surface. Therefore, if perchance you were to be punting down your local river and dropped the bag overboard, it should stay upright and dry (depending on how it was packed etc). I guess what I am saying in a round about way is that these heavy duty bags that are sure to keep the contents dry in the heaviest of monsoon rains.

The material is like a thick grade tarpaulin with a high tear resistance, although you will need to take care if packing sharp items in the bag. The bag is designed to be carried like a duffel bag, but I am using mine as a dry liner in my ruck sack. I walk over a 1000 miles a year with my dog and I carry a DSLR camera. Often I have been caught out in the rain and worried about the water penetrating my ruck sack, so I am using this as a protective liner. It must be noted that the instructions do not recommend using the bags to store electrical items. I am not really sure why this is the case, but I have been keeping my camera and phone in the bags and haven't had any problems with this.

These are very strong bags, which collapse down to take up a small storage footprint. If you need to keep the elements away from your belongings, these bad boys are definitely the ones to get.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20