Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 189

SBno1
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Microfibre Towel for Travel, Beach, Bath, Gym, Camping - XL Extra Large but Compact, Antibacterial and Quick Dry with small Carry Pouch (Lavender, 60 x 30 Inches)
Offered by Grabbits

5.0 out of 5 stars A water magnet!, 26 Nov 2014
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this is identical to the retail item.

What an excellent towel. It comes packed in a mesh travel pouch and looks like it will only open up to the size of a face cloth, but it actually opens up to full size beach towel. All edges and bound so it isn't going to fray and tear. The company logo is nicely pressed into the soft material and they have thoughtfully added in a tape loop for hanging the towel on a hook.

As it is compact and light weight it takes up no room in a holdall or suitcase making it ideal for holidays or the gym. I had a shower and used this to dry myself where I found that it was like a water magnet. I was dry in no time at all including my hair. After a machine wash the towel dried out about as quickly as my thicker bath towels, which is good considering it was soaked through. After using it to dry myself and airing it, it was ready for re-use in a very short space of time.

Before this arrived I wasn't expecting it to be any good and thought that I could always use it for the dog after a wet walk. How wrong I was, it is too good for the dog, he will have to carry on being dried with the scratchy old towels!

One thing to look out for: if you intend re-using the mesh bag make a note of how the towel is folded else it may not fit back in the pouch very well. There are also some washing instructions; 30 degree wash, no tumble dry, wash separately, no iron etc, they are printed on the towel label.

You won't want to replace your household towels with something like this, but they are a must for holidays, weekends away, gym, swimming and even going to the beach. I have seen smaller towels than this for sale, but at a much higher price. This is a bargain at £10 and worth the price tag

[Solar Pathway Light] OxyLED® TSP-02 Solar Motion Sensor Super Bright LED Wall Mount Path Light for Staircase / Step / Garden / Yard / Wall / Drive Way
Offered by Thousand Shores

5.0 out of 5 stars quick and easy to install, 26 Nov 2014

In the box you get the light fitting, set of fixings and instructions.

The light fitting is a polished metal and plastic casing. The top section has the solar panel, then the PIR sensor, the low level light and the main light. The rear has an on / off switch.

It is simple to put up, just one screw and then slot the light onto that. I was putting this onto a wooden fence panel, so I had the thing fitted in place in less than a minute. It needs to be mounted where the sun can shine on it for at least 4.5 hours a day. Although I haven't seen a blue sky since I fitted it, it is still coming on at night, so I am guessing that it will still charge in daylight.

There are two light levels. One is constantly on when it gets dark. This is a low powered light and simply causes the middle section to glow as a courtesy light. As you approach it and trip the PIR, then the main LED will light up and stay on as long as you are in the area or for around 30 seconds when you move off. Don't think this is going to replace a Halogen flood light. It isn't designed for that and for a solar powered device you can't expect it to. What it does give is a decent amount of light to show you a path or light up a small area.

The rear of my garage has a small paved area where I stash the rubbish and recycling bins, but it is unlit. I simply popped a screw into the fence near the bin and hooked the light on to it. I then had enough light to show me where the bins were and the path around it. It was perfect form my needs.

You can have several of these if you want to line them up along a fence, but you do have to make sure they are distanced so that the light from one doesn't prevent the other coming on. If they are too close the one lights may start to think it is day time and switch off. Likewise they may not work if there is too much ambient light from street lights or other flood lights.

They are very low power consumption and should last the night on the courtesy light with a few trips of the main light. Obviously during the short and dark winter days they may not run all night, but that wasn't a concern for me.

A perfect solution for a dark nook in a garden at night.

[Apple MFi Certified] iClever® Lightning to USB Cable 6ft / 1.8m 8 pin USB SYNC Cable Charger Cord for iPhone 6Plus,6, 5s ,5c ,5, iPad Air2,Air,mini2, mini, iPad 4th gen, iPod touch 5th gen, and iPod nano 7th gen (White)
Offered by Thousand Shores

5.0 out of 5 stars Any longer and I could charge my phone on the moon!, 26 Nov 2014

I don't have an iPhone so I used my friend as a Guinea Pig and am writing this on his behalf.

This is a really good quality cable and I would say on par with the original cable. The extra long lead was a huge plus for me. I only have a few USB ports on the front of my work computer that sits under my desk, so my iPhone charging ties up a port for a few hours. Now I can plug the lead into the back, run it up to my desk, under my monitor and it is within easy reach. Now I have a free port at the front again.

The cable charges the phone and allows data transfer and synchronising without any issues. A touch pricey at £10, but it is a premium lead and with a much longer reach. This is the lead should have been shipped with the iPhone.

Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml
Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleans and freshens, 25 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not a week goes by in our busy household when a clean up is required for spills, doggy mud prints or the baby throwing food around, so it doesn't hurt to have a few methods of cleaning the carpet up. So far I haven't had to use this for anything to do with the pets. However, the baby decided he was going to put this to the test and happily emptied his bladder on the carpet the moment his nappy was off and a few days later was sick and deposited a yellow green bile on the cream carpet.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't bother with testing it on an inconspicuous place as suggested, I plan on going to wood and tiled floors when the carpet is to be replaced. I was rather hoping it would damage the carpet so that I can get rid of it - no such luck, it didn't damage the carpet.

For the urine there was no stain on the carpet and so I just used this as a sanitiser to clean up and deodorise. I just soaked up what I could, then sprayed on and cleaned up almost straight after.

For the bile; again I soaked up what I could, then sprayed, cleaned, sprayed and left damp cloth over it for a few minutes to let it work in and deodorise as it was a bit whiffy. After that I soaked up any residue left. The carpet was clean with no sign that there had been anything there.

It works as well as any other carpet cleaner and deodoriser I have used. I can't say that it stands ahead of the competition, but at the same time I can't fault it for what it is designed for and therefore I would recommend it.

OZ Naturals Facial Cleanser Contains Powerful Vitamin C - This Natural Face Wash Is The BEST Anti Aging Facial Cleanser On The Market - It Deep Cleans Pores While Providing 8 Times The Anti Oxidant Protection For A Healthy, Radiant Glow
Offered by OZ Naturals EU

5.0 out of 5 stars fresh and clean, 24 Nov 2014
I received one of these for review through Amazon courtesy of OZ Naturals. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review.

The Oz Naturals range are becoming real competitors to the high street brands of skin care. As I am getting older I am starting to pay attention to my skin. I just wish I had started a skin care regime a few years ago rather than taking the blasé approach I did then. You are never too young to start caring for your skin.

This cleanser I tried alongside the OZ Naturals Ocean Mineral Facial Cleanser. Whilst both of them are 5 star products, I prefer this one as it is a little gentler on my skin. That being said, I would still recommend the Mineral version as it has a feeling of a deeper cleansing action.

It can be used before an exfoliation, but I feel that the cleansers are doing their job well enough. This has the consistency of a thin gel, but not quite as runny as the Ocean Mineral cleanser. If you are used to thicker gels you will need to adjust how you dispense this. A gentle squeeze on the tube is all that is needed and you don't need a large amount. Any more than a few small blobs is going to be wasted. I would also advise replacing the cap straight away as it can seep out of the tube. The gel spreads very easily across the skin and being thinner than other gels it seems to work into the skin a little better. There is a light foaming up, but not so much that you feel like you are doing the washing up! It rinses out easier than thicker gels to leave you with a very pleasant and fresh finish.

The end result is a face that feels as clean as a whistle and ready for the start of your skin care regime. Whilst you could leave the skin as it is after a cleanse, I would recommend at a very minimum using a moisturiser such as OZ Naturals Retinol Moisturizer or even the OZ Naturals Sea Infused Moisturiser. This is an ideal preparation before starting any skin care regime.

They are cruelty free which, I assume means not tested on animals and it is suitable for vegans which, I assume means it contains no animal products.

The real test for me with review samples is, would I have been happy with this if I had bought it, and the answer is a very positive yes as it has been with all the range I have tried so far.

OZ Naturals Facial Moisturizer - This Sea Infused Face Moisturizer Is Not To Be Underestimated - Contains Powerful Vitamin C & Algae Keratin Extract For Superior Moisturizing & Antioxidant Benefits. The Vitamin C Infused Seaweed Proteins Act As Powerful Collagen Building Blocks For Your Skin.
Offered by OZ Naturals EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Top moisturiser, 24 Nov 2014

This moisturiser looks a lot different to what I am used to. For a start, it has the colour of caramel, but as delicious as it looks, I wouldn't recommend eating it! It is a shade thinner than some moisturisers which is to its advantage as it spreads fast and absorbs easily into the skin. Just be careful when squeezing the tube as you will get wastage. Unless your skin is particularly dry, you will only need a few small beads.

After a few uses I found that putting a few beads on my finger tips and dabbing it around my face was a good way of getting an even application without wasting any of the moisturiser. Then I just work my finger tips around my face to spread the moisturiser around. It didn't take long for it to work in and my skin started to feel the benefit.

There is a nice soft feel to the skin and it is left feeling moisturised, but without the oily feeling. I have been using this at night because my skin is not left greasy and thus not going to wipe off on the pillows. There is a slight smell to the moisturiser, not perfumed, but not unpleasant or not overpowering. I don't know why I mention it really as it doesn't linger and my husband said he couldn't smell it on my skin a few minutes later.

It can be used after a cleansing or exfoliating treatment and works well with serums from the OZ Naturals range. I was using the OZ Naturals Vitamin C cleanser before this and they compliment each other perfectly. At the moment my entire skin care regime consists of OZ Natural products and they are all working well together. My skin is feeling healthier and in a much better condition than just moisturisers alone. I have had no adverse reactions, just compliments.

Carte Noire No.10 Espresso Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars What went wrong?, 22 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are individually wrapped (easy tear) plastic capsules. I have had plastic capsules from a different brand of coffee and I had a few problems with failed punctures and weak extractions, but as I have tried a few different coffees from the Carte Noire range, I knew they would perform well and they lived up to my expectations.

The capsules, like the others, all fit perfectly into my Nespresso machine and they all function without issue. All puncturing and allowing a decent flow of coffee without any back pressure.

I have tried nearly all from this range and they have all been very good. I prefer dark and bold coffees with heavy earthy tastes and so I was particularly looking forward to this batch as it is one of the boldest in the range. When you first open these wrapped capsules you get a strong burst of roasted coffee escaping and this sets you in the mood for the drink, but when I opened the no.10 capsules the aroma wasn't as intense as it had been for others in the the range. I didn't pay much heed to this and set the coffee machine up. The capsule performed perfectly well and the coffee flowed, but it still lacked in aroma.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I drank it. In terms of taste it fell far short of my expectations, I actually preferred the no.6 that I had tried previously. Initially, I thought I had mis-read the box and it was a weaker coffee, but I hadn't. There was no tang of acidity and it was smooth, but it was flat and lifeless. It was weak in the cup and quite thin. I am surprised that it was marketed as intense/excellence. I am just not seeing it....or tasting it.

I thought I would persevere and try another box, just in case I had a bad box, but it was the same. I even checked my coffee machine to ensure it was extracting properly, but other Carte Noire caps were fine. I stuck with it and tried it at different times of the day and on different days as I realise that your taste preferences can vary, but my opinion hasn't changed, I am not finding this to be an intense coffee and I am a bit disappointed with it as I had high hopes.

So far every coffee from the range has been appealing. I would like to think that this particular case was just a slip in quality. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to try the no.11, maybe that is the punchy one I am looking for.

Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars like I have with the others which have all been top quality.

AVANTEK Portable Digital Automatic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor - Gift for Families
Offered by Claybox

5.0 out of 5 stars great device for monitoring BP, 21 Nov 2014

In the box you get the monitor, cuff and set of instructions.

The instructions are well written, informative and easy to follow.

The monitor is a compact block with a large easy to read display. Initially I thought the screen had a few minor abrasions on it, but there is a thin protective film over it and when peeled away left it looking new. The three buttons all have a positive click feel to them when pressed so you know when the button has been pushed down. You will need 4x AA batteries (not supplied) to operate the device. There appears to be a mains adaptor socket, but no mention of a power pack, though I prefer batteries for portability.

The cuff is comfortable with no scratchy edges or seams and there is a small flap overlapping where the cuff pulls through to tighten up on the arm which prevents pinching of the skin. There is a clear red mark on the cuff to show where it needs to line up on the artery with additional elbow and shoulder markings so that you get it on the right way. The cuff hose then push fits into the monitor. The cuff can be a little tricky to tighten up if you are on your own, but if you have reasonable dexterity you should be able to manage it and it doesn't have to be tight on your arm. I leave mine looped in, so I just slip my arm in, give it a gentle pull to tighten and then line it up.

On the monitor you can set the time and date so that it records your readings and prior to starting it you can set it for person 1 or person 2 so that you can keep records for 2 people. If you are not interested in these, then you just simply hit the start button. The cuff inflates and then deflates with your heart rate being picked up with audible beeps.

My first reading was a heart stopping 226/110, but I had the cuff sat too far down my arm and into the crook of my elbow. A re-adjustment and my reading was taken and produced a much healthier reading that I was expecting. I took 5 readings on the first night and there were top to bottom differences of only 6 mmHg on both systolic and diastolic readings. These results were much the same over the next few nights. If the readings had been the same each time I would have thought something was wrong with the machine, but this fluctuation is perfectly fine. The only question is the accuracy. I won't disclose my BP, but my readings are all what I was expecting and thus I am happy with the results. I did the same with my wife and her readings were all fine for her with fluctuations being 7mmHg and 5mmHg and the results were what she expected them to be.

For such a small price I was expecting something wildly inaccurate, but nothing could be further from the truth. I don't expect this to give me perfect clinical results, just something that is thereabout which it does. It is an ideal device for regular checks on your blood pressure in a time and place that suits you. Regular monitoring will give you a better picture of your BP and give an advanced warning if it's is starting to deviate from the norm so that you can do something about it.

Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)
Carte Noire No.6 Lungo Nespresso Compatible Coffee Capsules 56 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all round taste, excellent VFM, 20 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are individually wrapped (easy tear) plastic capsules. When you rip the pouch open you get a rush of roasted coffee aroma that really gets you in the mood for a coffee. My wife, who is not a coffee drinker, loves the smell when I open these pouches from the Carte Noire range.

I prefer dark and bold coffees with heavy earthy tastes. This sits around the middle of the Carte Noire strength range and is just a bit milder than I would normally go for. That being said, I enjoyed it, there is no bitterness and the acidity is a good balance. The crema is clean and golden and there is little evidence of thick muddying from a too fine a grind or grounds getting through the capsule. If you like strong heady coffee you may find it a little weak in the cup and not hitting the 'umami' buds. On the other hand, lovers of particularly thin and weaker coffees might be a little overwhelmed. That being said, unless you are the polar ends in coffee strength, I think most people will find something to enjoy in this coffee, it s a good all-rounder.

In terms of value for money, at the current price of 8GBP for 40 capsules this puts each capsule at just 20p each. This is fantastic value for money in what is a high quality coffee. The original Nespresso capsule are around 5p to 10p more per capsule and you have to pay P+P.

LE 5.5W Dimmable G45 E27 LED Bulb, 40W Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent, 2700K, Warm White, Golf Ball Bulbs
Offered by Neon Mart

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal replacement for incandescent, 17 Nov 2014
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this item is identical to the retail product. I received 3 different wattages/fittings so there will be similarities in my reviews.

This bulb was destined for my outside door light so unfortunately I can't comment on the dimming properties of it.

I wasn't too worried about the colour of the light, which as it happens is as close as you can get to an incandescent light. All I needed was an equivalent amount of light so I could see anyone through the door spy-hole when it was dark. This was a perfect replacement. I really cannot tell the difference between a standard 40w bulb and this one other than my electricity meter doesn't spin around as fast as it used to!

If you are looking to replace like for like, then these will do you well

These bulbs have the same dimensions as a standard large Edison screw cap so they will go into standard fittings. The round bulbs I tried were slightly bigger than their incandescent equivalents, but the golf ball bulbs look to be pretty much the same size.

One other great thing with these bulbs is that they don't get anywhere near as hot as an incandescent or halogen bulbs, so no more heat damaged shades or fittings.

I have been running this bulb for about a week now (comes on at dark and is timed to go out at midnight.) it has performed well and should outlive an incandescent bulb by a long time, but it's too early for me to comment on this.

I have to say that I am very impressed with these and the other bulbs from Lighting EVER and I am well on my way to total LED conversion. I haven't started looking yet, but I hope there is a bayonet cap fitting equivalent for this bulb as I have an up-lighter that takes them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20