Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 286

SBno1
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nikko Transformers R/C Bumblebee Transforming
Nikko Transformers R/C Bumblebee Transforming

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good on carpet, not the best VFM., 23 Sep 2014
Length:: 0:08 Mins

In the box you get the transformer, radio controller, a couple of attachments and a set of instructions. The whole thing had a flimsy feel to it, but it looked good.

This was given to my nephew to try out. After locating 4x AA batteries and a PP3 battery he was ready to go. The RC has two top buttons to open and close the transformer from Bumblebee to car and back again and he will move whether open or closed. The opening and closing is smooth enough, but motion on a medium pile carpet is pretty poor. In fact I thought there was something wrong with it at first as it just didn't move. On a tiled floor the movement was much more fluid and it would zip around.

The controls are simple; push both throttles forward or back to drive it back and forth and adjust the turns by pulling them in opposite directions.

It is very clever in transforming, lighting up and announcing its name, but for the current price of £40 I was expecting something a lot better than this. I would say a more reasonable price would be £20 and at a push up to £30.

Ref the video. It shows the transformer opening and closing, but I couldn't hold the camera and control the movement. I'll try to get a better video when I next visit my nephew.

Mark and Chappell Ltd Vet IQ Flea Guard, 90 Tablets
Mark and Chappell Ltd Vet IQ Flea Guard, 90 Tablets

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the solution I was looking for., 23 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lets get this clear; this is a repellent. It won't kill the flea or sterilise it's eggs, if a flea is hungry enough it may still feed and still lay eggs. I am like Al Capone when it comes to fleas. I don't want to frighten them off - I want them dead, I want their families dead, I want their friends dead, I want all of them dead.

I have been looking for an alternative to flea drops as one of my dogs was getting ill after the drops were administered and the alarm bells were ringing when you see a warning on the label that the drops for dogs could be fatal if given to a cat. Also having a cat that likes to play with the dogs I just can't take the risk of cross contamination. So it is nice to see some flea treatment that can be used on cats or dogs and contains natural ingredients. The label says that it contains Brewers Yeast, Calcium Phosphate, Hop Powder, Rice Bran, Calcium Carbonate, Garlic Powder and Egg Powder. From what I understand it is the Garlic that repels blood suckers e.g. fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and vampires.

I had really high hopes for these, but they are not meeting my expectations. For a start a cat only needs half a tablet and depending on the size of your pooch you may need one and a half tablets. Here lies the first hiccup; they are not scored, so they don't break cleanly in half. To make matters worse the tablet is very brittle and powdery, so the tablet starts to disintegrate in your fingers as you break it. If the pack has been shaken around a bit you will also find a load of dust and broken tablets in the tub.

The tablets are quite large and if your dog won't take one as a treat, then you may have to try the old switcheroo and hide it in a snack. That being said, your pet will likely take it as they are a little bland. I had a nibble and you can taste the tang of garlic, but mostly the brewers yeast. My dogs will eat them as offered, but the cat has it crushed and mixed in with the food.

Once you start treatment you are pretty much committed to buying these regularly. If you have a small dog taking 1 tablet a day then that is not too bad at one pack every 3 months, but a 30 KG + dog and you are looking at a pack every month. It can get even more expensive as it is recommended that you double up the dose every day during peak flea season. With the current cost of £10 a pack, that is £20 a month - ouch.

According to the directions it can take up to 2 weeks to become effective. If you already have a flea problem then the pack says you may not see any benefit for up to 14 weeks. It also recommends starting off with a flea shampoo wash and that this can be used with insecticides - doesn't that defeat the object?

If you don't tend to have a problem with fleas, then this may not be a bad product to use to keep the wolves from the door so to speak. However, if you have an animal that is socialising regularly with other animals and at a higher risk of picking up fleas, you may want to resort to chemical warfare

DBPOWER® 9.5'' Inch Portable DVD Player Widescreen Swivel & Flip Black Remote Control Plays Movie Audio With Game MP3 FM
Offered by buyinsummer

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking portable DVD player, 23 Sep 2014
Video to follow when vetted by Amazon
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this item is identical to the retail product.

Let me get a few of the minor negatives out of the way with. The DVD player feels a little on the cheap plastic side. It is a little chunky (though light-weight) and has clunky buttons. Sure you can get a much better build quality, but that will come at a price. There is a game pad which controls some of the several hundred games that come on the miniature CD. The games are a bit like old Atari console games and quite frankly of no use to me whatsoever, but they are there if you can be bothered to play them or get the pad to be responsive enough. I don't know if this is capable of picking up digital TV, it wasn't quite clear in the instructions and I couldn't get it to tune in. This could be one of a few reasons: It is only analogue OR I live in a bad reception area so I may not have been getting a decent signal OR I just wasn't tuning it in properly. That being said, I only really want a portable DVD player. I can get SKY TV shows and games on my mobile phone. Although I will say that the radio tuner was very good and gave a good clear sound.

So let me put aside all the fancy schmancy trimmings that come with this as they are a bit pants and look at this as a portable DVD player only - nothing else and you won't be disappointed.

The video I have uploaded will have been degraded to shrink the file size down and may not do it justice. For the screen size the picture is superb. It is bright and sharp and has enough user settings to be able to customise it to suit your tastes. If you want to the screen will rotate around and fold back onto the base tablet style. Audio quality is pretty good though lacking some bass, however there is a sound output port for you to put this through headphones or an external speaker. You have all the usual controls on the menu, chapter skip, fast forward and pause. The same goes if you are playing back an Audio CD. The controls are either on the device itself or on the remote control. Unfortunately, I don't have a video to play through the USB socket or SD card slot, but I am sure they will do fine (codecs depending). I'll update this review if I can source a few films.

The battery life is reasonable and I have managed to watch a full 1.5 hour film with life left over. I wouldn't like to say exactly how long it will last as that will depend upon screen brightness, environmental factors and how often you pause / rewind etc. The power supply lead is a little short for my liking, but I had a power point where I needed it so can't complain about that. This will be ideal to take away in a caravan, camping, commuting on a train, back of the car to keep the kids amused (there is a 12v cigarette lighter adaptor) or even in work when you want a break.

What you will see in my video is a quick flick through of some of the games menus, then the menu screen of a DVD, some fast forward shots, followed by some chapter jumps. I left subtitles on so you can see that they are clear and readable. I also show the radio tuned in and jumping through some of the radio channels.

This is a cracking little DVD player especially as it is hovering around the £50 price bracket. In my opinion, some of the extras are OK to have, but the lesser quality of these takes the focus away from the DVD player. I don't rate all the junk extras highly, but I can give this an easy 5 stars as a portable DVD player.

Hotpoint Multi-Functional Food Processor, 1000 Watt, Silver
Hotpoint Multi-Functional Food Processor, 1000 Watt, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and multi use, 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first venture into the food processor market and so this review is from an amateur first time user point of view. Bear this in mind if you are a long term user of food processors, what I find difficult may not be a down side for you.

In the box you get the base unit, blender jug, chopper/slicer jug, attachments to feed food in and not your fingers, various blades for slicing and grating and various processing blades. There is even a little drawer built in to house the different grater and slicer blades. The overall quality is very good and it feels strong and robust. The base sticks to the work surface by suckers which can be a plus or a minus depending on how often you move it. All attachments are described in the instructions as being dishwasher safe, so that will save some time too.

The diagrammatic instructions for assembly are pretty clear, but the written ones seem to assume a level of experience. For instance; I set it up to chop some veg, but I couldn't work out why the thing wasn't powering up, I even had my husband check the fuse after following the instructions to the letter. It turns out that even though the jug was locked in tight, it was just a fraction out from being fully locked in. Furthermore whilst the lid was locked down it needed to line up with the jug handle and not offset. Once we worked that out it was good to go. I didn't see this mentioned in the instructions. I'll chalk that one up to experience.

The motor runs fairly quiet in comparison to other kitchen tools I have. The multi speed and pulse gives you a good range of control over food processing and there are plenty of attachments and tools to make life in the kitchen a little easier. The motor is powerful enough to cope with a good bowl full of food and whilst initially it might sound like it is going to struggle, it ploughs through the food and f you are not careful can over chop the food.

I particularly like the blender attachment; we tend to waste fruit in our family as I have difficulty getting the children to eat it. Now I throw a mix of fruit into the blender and churn up a smoothie and they love it. Now I am running out of fruit!

I have now blended, chopped, grated, sliced and diced an array of food, it has become a great help in the kitchen, though I am still making errors. It wasn't too clear in the instructions as to the pre-chopping of veg. I threw in a load of mixed veg and powered it up only to have the chopping blades partially slice a potato which stuck to the blades and spun around uselessly. I was hoping for something I could just throw everything into and hit 'go'. A lot of these things are no doubt my mistakes and inexperience. I am still an amateur at this and I still have a lot of trail and error to go though, but I do like it and only wish I had bought one a long time back.

My only real personal disappointment is slicing. The 2 slicing attachments cut too thinly for what I need. I like to chop carrots a little chunky, but the thickest slicer is still too thin. It would be nice if they did an additional thicker slicer, even as an optional extra. OK a good chef can chop them faster than a processor, but I am no where near that good, so I rely upon technology to help me. I would have also liked to see an attachment that would allow the cutting of carrots and other veg into sticks for dips. Maybe I am being a bit lazy, not using it properly, or just expecting too much from a processor.

Putting aside my minor disappointments, this is a good quality food processor and in the right hands will no doubt work wonders. I like it, but can't quite bring myself to giving it 5 stars.

Tacwise 1187 16ga/ 45 Finish Nailer Nail Gun
Tacwise 1187 16ga/ 45 Finish Nailer Nail Gun

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to load, easy to use., 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This gun is such a breeze to use, probably one of the simplest power tools to set up and use. It has some great safety features built into it that will prevent you firing the gun by accident. Before you start to use this gun, you must make sure you are on a minimum 32 amp fuse. I am no electrician, but I understand that there is a huge draw of power on the point of firing and the spike can blow or trip fuses. I have new wiring and circuity that is compliant with 2012 regulations, this pops my 16 amp MCB, but is fine with 32 amp. This isn't a fault with the gun, just the amount of power that is needed to drive the nail in.

The gun comes in a purpose built case which is a medium impact resistant moulded plastic box with 2 secure catches to clamp it shut. There is enough space to put the cable back in without the need of being an origami expert and you can also throw in a box of nails (not supplied) although this will limit the space for the cable.

The gun itself has a plastic body with a metal plate where all the action takes place. It feels well built and is comfortable in the hand (left or right).

A simple latch pops open the metal plate that holds the nails/staples and you just slide it back to access the load space which will take a generous nail strip (number will depend upon gauge). You need to watch when loading nails as there is a small lip at the base and there is a tendency to have the tip of the nail resting on it. You will know you have it wrong when the metal plate won't close over the nails. There is also a window to show how many nails are remaining.

Early Tacwise guns were supplied with an inadequately short mains lead and you were advised not to use an extension lead. Tacwise have now lengthened this lead; it is still a bit short for some jobs, but I have been using older and newer guns with an extension lead without an issue. Just make sure it is a good quality lead, completely uncoiled and check the lead temperature periodically, especially if your lead doesn't have a thermal cut out.

Once you are ready to go, there is a power switch by the cable entry to power it up. Then it is a 2 step approach. First place the nose where you want the nail and press down firmly. You may hear a micro-switch click so you will know that it is ready. Next pull the trigger and BANG the nail is fired in. There is a little kick back and so if you are using long nails or the wood is a little hard, then you will need to put a bit of weight on the upright column to ensure the nail drives in fully. The upright column is rounded and thus not uncomfortable to press down on. It is a loud whack when fired, so you should use ear defenders and I guess I should also say goggles too. The nose is a soft plate so you are not likely to bruise the wood if it does happen to bounce.

The pattern is; nose down, pull trigger, release trigger, nose down, pull trigger, release trigger and so on. At first it is tempting to keep the trigger depressed and keep tapping the nose down, but the safety feature will only allow one shot per trigger pull. There is also no danger of firing a nail across the room as it will only fire if the nose is pressed down.

If by chance a nail should jam, there is a catch to release the nose assembly to allow for easy removal of the offending article. It helps to release the nail loading plate to take a little pressure off the nail stack. I have only had one nail jam and that was my own fault as I nailed into a metal pin that was beneath the surface of the wood.

Every nail I fired in went in clean and straight. A few were left proud where I either hit a knot or I wasn't pressing firmly enough on the upright column. Other than that, this is a perfect nail gun with a reasonable price tag of just over £100

Berghaus Freeflow II 30 Backpack - Black/Carbon, One Size
Berghaus Freeflow II 30 Backpack - Black/Carbon, One Size
Offered by The Simply Group

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality rucksack, 21 Sep 2014
I picked my black/carbon rucksack up for an amazing £31, so if you are in no rush, I would urge you to put this on your wish list and monitor the price daily as prices fluctuate and there is money to be saved here.

I have had some Berghaus gear in the past and it has always been durable, fit for purpose and good quality. This rucksack fits right in there with their good name.

All straps are quick to tighten up and release. The back has a rigid back panel which supports the freeflow strap system. Unfortunately, user photos have been disabled on this product page and it is difficult to describe without some pictures. The free flow system allows air to flow around your back by keeping much of the rucksack away from your back via a mesh strap system. You need to see it to understand it, but it does work and it is comfortable. The whole system can be adjusted to suit different back sizes and this can be done on the fly. It takes a few uses with different loads to get the exact fit that you need.

The main straps are padded and the waist straps seem to add more comfort when pulled in. These are padded to and it actually feels much better than just a webbing strap alone. Again, these are all quick to tighten and release. The chest strap is partially elasticated, though I prefer not to use them. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but because I have a rope sling dog lead that interferes with them.

I am not a fan of having hundreds of packets and compartments and this bag is in keeping with my needs. Externally, there is a mesh pocket on the one waist strap, a front zip compartment and 2 side mesh pockets that can easily take 750ml stubby water bottles and (untested) maybe 1lt flasks. That being said, if you are packed to capacity, then you may find the side pockets to be tight for space. There is also internal and external zipped hood pockets too. Inside you just have a rear document pocket compartment. The internal compartment is puled together with a draw cord and the hood closed with quick release catches. If it chucks it down with rain, then there is a base pocket housing a rain cover.

The bottom line is a very comfortable and hard wearing rucksack with plenty of adjustment to cater for different body shapes and sizes. Perfect for a long trek when you want to pack plenty of gear and some emergency provisions. In terms of value for money, I would say that the £31 was a bargain. I would probably say you are still getting good value for money up to about £50-£60.

Rechargeable Battery Pack (PS4)
Rechargeable Battery Pack (PS4)
Offered by Fuzion

5.0 out of 5 stars more power to your paddle, 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am always forgetting to charge my controller and so I have to keep going back to the USB lead, which defeats the object of having a wireless controller. This battery pack extends the life of your controller by more than double. If you are better disciplined than me in charging your controller or close enough to the console to use it whilst plugged in, then you probably don't need this pack.

It adds a little bulk and weight, but not uncomfortably so. It doesn't interfere with any of the buttons or grip, but if you do have very big hands, then it may get in the way. I'll have to find someone with big paddle hands and sausage fingers to test that theory for me.

It is well built, doesn't get hot when in use, feels strong, holds firmly in place and is in styling with the controller.

I still forget to charge my controller and the battery pack, but at least I can go longer between having to plug them all in!

Smart Weigh Precision Digital Vanity / Bathroom Scale, "Smart Step-On" Technology, Tempered Glass Platform and Large Backlight Display
Offered by Five Star

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, accurate, ideal gift idea., 19 Sep 2014

I have tried a few different sets of kitchen scales from Smartweigh and they have consistently provided good quality and accurate scales. I was expecting these to be of the same high calibre and my expectations were met.

You get a clean piece of thick tempered glass with soft edges and corners. The scales are a simple, yet elegant design with a clean contemporary look. The LCD display is large, clear, bright and can easily be read whilst standing up. Which is just as well because you should weigh yourself in your birthday suit and you don't want to be bending over to read the measurement as someone walks into the bathroom! So a big display is a big bonus.

As with any bathroom scales they should be placed on a flat, even surface and not on a soft pile carpet. Ideally, you should place them on a tiled surface. If you use any scales on a carpeted floor you will get false readings.

To get started you need to pull the plastic tab out of the battery compartment. Incidentally, the batteries are 2x CR2032 button cells which are cheap and freely available on Amazon. With the tab removed you can set the scale units to KG, Stones and lbs or just lbs (last used is remembered). I stepped onto the scales and had an unusually low reading. I then read the instructions and realised that could happen. You need to let the scales settle for a few mins in the new environment if moved or not used for a few days, then step on and off the scales briefly. Let it switch off and then it is ready to use.

I get weighed with medical scales in work on a monthly basis as part of a fitness at work scheme. Of course I don't strip off for this so I expected my weight on these scales to be a little lower and they were. My weight was pretty much spot on what I was expecting it to be. I tried several times throughout the evening and every reading was the exact same. Of course eating drinking, using the loo etc will cause slight fluctuations in weight, but I think these had my weight nailed to the exact lb.

A superb and well priced set of scales that will look good in almost any bathroom. The acid test for me is that if I was looking for a set of bathroom scales and had bought these, would I have been happy with them. The answer is a very easy yes and furthermore I will be looking to buy this same set in the future for a nice Christmas gift especially as the box itself is rather attractively styled.

BETA Adult Spaniels with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
BETA Adult Spaniels with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly suited, 14 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to a friend with a rather high octane springer. My dogs would have happily eaten this until I pointed out to them that they weren't spaniels.

The different bags cater for different animals and this one seems to have a content suited to the high energy state of spaniels. My friend has told me that the dog was initially hesitant having his food changed, but once he realise it was food he happily ate it. At the end of the bag he was still as energetic and hadn't been ill. His digestive system hasn't been effected and he still produces normal size, consistency and shape stools.

OZ Naturals - THE BEST Vitamin C Serum For Your Face - Organic Vitamin C + Amino + Hyaluronic Acid Serum- Clinical Strength 20% Vitamin C with Vegan Hyaluronic Acid Leaves Your Skin Radiant & More Youthful By Neutralizing Free Radicals. This Anti Aging Serum Will Finally Give You The Results You've Been Looking For - ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Vitamin C Serum -100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED
Offered by OZ Naturals EU

5.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to the face care regime, 12 Sep 2014
I received one of these for review through Amazon courtesy of OZ Naturals. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review.

I can't say I have ever used serums before, so I wasn't too sure how effective they can be. From the instructions you are told that the serum is a delivery improvement system for your chosen skin care products with benefits of its own. The bottle comes with a pipette to prevent over application, which is just as well as you only need a few drops to cover a large amount of skin. I couldn't detect any scent to this so it makes it suitable for men and women who have a skin care regime.

This bottle is designed for your face, neck and decollete (I had to look that up!). I tried it on my face after a facial scrub. I only needed a few tiny drops and then worked it around my face. You only need a single drop to cover a space the size of the back of your hand. About 5 drops for your face should do it. After that I applied my usual moisturiser. I can't say if the moisturiser was absorbed any quicker, if that is what is supposed to happen, but likewise it didn't do any harm either. After a few days use I feel that my skin on my face feels a lot more toned, especially around the cheeks and nose. I also noticed that on one of the hotter days I hadn't sweated out a load of moisturiser from my forehead. My skin has a more even texture now as opposed to a combination of dry and greasy.

I can't say if the serum is going to help with fading dark spots etc, as I am fortunate enough not to have them, but likewise, there is nothing to say that this won't help.

The bottle is reasonably priced, hasn't had any negative effects on my skin. It is advertised on Amazon as cruelty free which I am assuming is the USA equivalent of "Not tested on animals" and is suitable for vegans. The acid test for me is; would I buy this knowing what I now know about it. The answer is yes, that this isn't something I would ordinarily buy, but if I was in the market for a product such as this I would be happy with the purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20