Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 108

SBno1
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
FSL Decimate Safety Earmuff / Ear Defender for Shooting, Drumming, DIY, Studying, Motor Racing, Construction - NRR 34 dB - 3 Year Warranty
Offered by iHeadphones UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and secure, 22 May 2015
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this is identical to the retail item.

I have always made a point of using ear defenders when using power tools, even if it just drilling 1 hole in a wall. Any amount of noise could lead to permanent hearing loss or the annoying tinnitus, something I am keen to avoid. The cups are an impact resistant plastic shell with a good layer of sound dampening foam inside. They reduce noise levels down to something that isn't going to damage your hearing. If the noise levels are particularly high you can supplement these ear defenders with foam in ear protectors, but it isn't really necessary.

These ear defenders fold into themselves to take up less space in a toolbox. The headband is padded for comfort as are the cups so they can be worn quite comfortably for several hours. They adjust for most head sizes by simply pulling down on the cups. This can easily be done when the head band is on top of your head. When finished everything springs back into place and you push the cups back into the headband. The cups are large enough to fit adult ear sizes with room inside so as not to be pressing against your earlobes. The spring in the headband holds the cups firmly in place to give a good seal against noise leaking, but without the feeling of them trying to crush your head.

When I am not using ear defenders I tend to have them around my neck and then pull them up with one hand. This is not so easy to do with the type that fold up into themselves, so you may need to use 2 hands. If you are looking to protect children's hearing I would recommend getting a specific child set for them such as these Ear Muffs For Children that fit my 2 year old, but adjust for older children too.

Look after your hearing and get your self a set

Philips GC3810/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 150 g Steam Boost, 300 ml, 2400 Watt, Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional budget level iron, 21 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This iron is a decent quality product that will do a good job on your ironing pile. It is a good price and gives good results. It has features that I would expect to see on the higher end of the market such as fast heat up, good lead length and Calc cleaning. Other than that it is just a good quality standard iron that gives pleasing results that I am happy with - and I am a real fusspot when it comes to ironing.

Whilst I would not deter anyone from buying this iron I would urge you to look at the Philips GC4521/87. It is currently £20 more, but having used both, I would say it is worth paying that little bit more if you can afford it. It has a slightly higher steam output, bigger water tank and a more powerful element.

I-Rocks Mechanical Feel High-Scissor Structure Illuminated Gaming Keyboard
I-Rocks Mechanical Feel High-Scissor Structure Illuminated Gaming Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars a hefty price, but quality keyboard, 21 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used to have a Cherry keyboard and it was the bees knees. It lasted me for years of working at the keyboard. When it eventually died I replaced it with a Microsoft gaming keyboard which was good, but not a cherry keyboard. I never thought I would find a keyboard to rival the cherry, but now I have!

The keyboard has a solid and luxurious feel to it. It oozes sex appeal as soon as you take it out of the box. Every key press has a positive feel to it and you can just tell it was built to last.

It is plug n play compatible with my Windows 8 machine and worked as soon as it was plugged in. The functionality isn't quite the same as my old MS gaming board that had macros and quick app launch buttons, but the quality makes up for it. You can mash your fists into the keyboard for hours and it will still be working fine - not that I recommend this).

This truly is the 4x4 of the keyboard world!

Snug Safe n Sound Kids Ear Defenders / Hearing Protectors - Adjustable Headband Ear Muffs For Children and Adults - 5 YEAR WARRANTY - (Purple)
Offered by iHeadphones UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent level of hearing protection for children, 19 May 2015

A few months back I bought some Baby Banz for our little one. They worked well, but they had little room for growth and the next time I wanted to use them, they were too small. This set has much more room for growth. I put them on my 2 year old and they fit perfectly over the ears, at full expansion I could get them on my head, a bit tight, but it does show that these should be OK up to early teens. Whilst the description says that they can be used for adults, I would recommend getting adult specific ear defenders

These pack down neatly and are easy to put into a changing bag. Then simply pull the cups down out of the headband to form the shape. If further extension is required you can pull the cups down on the wires until they fit over the ears. There is sufficient clamping to seal the ears from external noises, but at the same time not feel like they are crushing your head.

Over my ears they really dampen the noise level down. When I put them on the baby I knew they were working when I asked him what he wanted for dinner and he was shouting his responses at me. I then couldn't get them off him and he spent most of the day running around with them on his head flying an imaginary aeroplane, so I assumed that they were comfortable for him.

The cups are made from an impact resistant plastic with a thick foam insert to absorb sound. They are surrounded by a padded soft plastic plastic/pvc like material, which is comfortable and helps form a seal. The head band is padded with a soft material. Very happy with these and I am sure they will help protect the hearing of children at noisy events and venues.

OSOMount SMART NFC Mount Universal in Car Holder for iPhone 6/ 6 Plus / 5s /5c /4/4s Samsung Galaxy S6/ S5 /S4 /S3 / Note 4/3 & Other Smartphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and secure hold, 19 May 2015

I recently tried the highly recommended Osomount bike / motor bike phone holder and was very impressed with it. Thus I was expecting the same good build quality and usability from the car windscreen mount. My expectations were met. It is a simple device that has a good sized sucker to stick to glass and this can be set and released by use of a lever to create the suction. When released the thing is still stuck, but you just need to peel up the edge of the rubber using the little tab and it comes away easily. You might think that is a bit of a pain, but I think is a good thing considering it is holding a phone worth a few hundred pounds.

The phone is held in place by 2 arms that expand out when a button is pressed and you just pinch them together. Initially, I thought that without something under the base the phone would vibrate out, but it held fast despite the pot-holed roads I drive on. A ball joint at the back of the clamp allows you to easily adjust and lock the viewing angle (portrait or landscape too), so you are assured of the most convenient view of your phone which is a must when using it as a sat nav. There are no parts to obscure the screen and your phone is still fully functional. It is far better having my phone where I can see it and not sliding around in the car or flying off the seat when I brake. There is no need to take the phone out of the cradle when skipping through music, taking a call or texting etc - as long as it is in your reach and you are stationary of course - I do not condone or encourage the use of a mobile phone when driving.

Whilst the cradle technically gives you hands free calling I advise that check the law governing where you are driving if you do intend to make and take calls.

It is a simple device and it holds your phone solidly and securely. It is a winner in my book

Osomount Bike Handlebar Mount Holder for Smartphone
Osomount Bike Handlebar Mount Holder for Smartphone
Offered by Zero 50 Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid grip, 17 May 2015

I do not condone "using" a mobile phone whilst riding on roads. However, as with car windscreen mounts I do see the benefits of having the phone mounted in front of you on a bike. If you are using GPS navigation the screen can be glanced at for directions. If a call comes in you can see who is calling and decide if you want to stop and take the call or not. Most of my riding is done on designated cycle tracks where I listen to music from my phone. Tapping the screen to pause or skip is a bit easier than trying to use the fiddly controls on the wire (not something I would do on a road).

The mount is well made and has a good build quality to it. It is held solidly in place on a bar and the viewing angles can be adjusted to suit your needs. It comes with rubber tube spacers if you have narrow tubes. Just clip it into place and tighten up the bolt to clamp it down - everything is provided in the box. The phone is held very securely in place and even when riding on some rough paths that shake my teeth loose, the phone stays firmly in place. You simply slot your phone between the arms, squeeze them up to hold the phone and then use the silicone like webbing to grip the corners.

In terms of what size phone it will take; I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, one of the largest phones on the market. This fits in, but there is not much room after that, any bigger and you may be struggling. If your phone is smaller than the S5, it will fit without a problem.

An excellent way of securing your phone where you can see it. It is quick and easy to get your phone in and just as quick to take your phone out when parking up somewhere - just remember not to leave your phone in the cradle!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Igenix IG8125 Filter Coffee Maker with 10 Cup Capacity 900 W - 1.25 L
Igenix IG8125 Filter Coffee Maker with 10 Cup Capacity 900 W - 1.25 L
Offered by Megabrokers

4.0 out of 5 stars No nonsense basic coffee machine., 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty basic run of the mill coffee maker, which will suit many people who don't necessarily want all the whistles and bows. It has the features you would expect i.e. keeps the coffee warm, visual indicator of how much water is in the machine and a removable washable filter.

The build quality is reasonable for the price and it has a small footprint on the worktop. The coffee it produces is as good as the beans you are using. There is nothing that sets this machine apart from the competition, but at the same time it works and produces drinkable coffee that is a good temperature.

I have never been a fan of re-usable filters, whilst the mesh is fine it does let finer particles through to give a little muddiness to the bottom of the cup. Paper filters are far better and produce a much cleaner coffee. Unfortunately using paper filters alone is not great as they don't sit too well in the housing. I tried what one reviewer suggested - to put the paper inside the plastic filter - it worked fine.

To be fair, it does the job it is designed to do and for that I can't complain.

TireTek Premium Tyre Pressure Gauge - Large Dial
TireTek Premium Tyre Pressure Gauge - Large Dial
Offered by Odyseaco

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and accurate, 16 May 2015

It always pays to keep an eye on tyre pressure and it is something I have always preached to people. If the tyre is under inflated the wires in the tyre wall flex more. This causes the wires to heat up and weakens they tyre wall and could lead to a blow out. If you hit a pot hole with an under inflated tyre this could lead to the wheel rim pinching the tyre and splitting it. Both situations lead to total replacement of a tyre at best - at worst, loss of control of the car. An over inflated tyre can also be problematic in that you don't have as much tyre on tarmac which leads to less grip. It all boils down to checking your tyre pressures.

This gauge is easy to use and gives clear readings letting you know if you need to adjust your pressures. It fits perfectly in hand and is shaped so that you can put your thumb on the end to ensure you get a good seal and accurate read. What I especially like about this is that you only need to press it on the valve momentarily to get the read. When you take it off the valve the reading is locked - ideal for when you can reach the valve, but not have a line of sight. To reset the needle, there is a pressure relief button on the side.

The body is encased in rubber blades that absorb shock if dropped. The dial is clear and easy to read in Bar and PSI and as the needle is locked you have time to read the pressure.

In terms of accuracy, The reading this gave me was the same as my Clarke Air compresssor and this has given me the same readings as other air pressure gauges. I expect a very small degree of difference between gauges (even with supermarket and forecourt air pumps) and this gauge is within my acceptable limits i.e. I didn't get some wild reading.

A small price to pay for a piece of mind.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Wahl Avalon Horse Clipper
Wahl Avalon Horse Clipper

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable and powerful, 15 May 2015
This review is from: Wahl Avalon Horse Clipper (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always been impressed with Wahl clippers and so I have stuck with them for a number of years. I am by no means a professional horse groomer, I do it only to tidy up the coat or thin out a thicker patches in the warmer months. My current set are a bit on the noisy side, but this is fortunately tolerated. These Wahl clippers are quieter than my existing ones and when used outdoors with other sounds going on, they just become background noise. If you have a horse that spooks easily these may be ideal (especially outdoors where the sound dissipates better). Whilst our horse is pretty laid back, I did switch them on before approaching and left them running for a while before going too close, just to get her used to the noise, but she was fine with them.

The whole kit comes in a neat hard plastic carry case which opens flat. You will need to put the clipper blades on and charge up the battery pack for at least 3 hours. This will give around an estimated 3 and a half hours of run time, which I found to be about right. The battery pack fits into a carry case so you can move freely around the horse without any training wires. The clipper blade is quite wide so you should be able to make quick work of large areas. It has a chunky body which is comfortable to hold and looks like it might be unwieldy to use, but isn't too bad when manoeuvring it. The motor is quite powerful and so the blades maintain a consistent cutting speed. It doesn't take long to get used to how fast you can move the clippers through the hair without causing dragging. With a steady hand and a relaxed horse you can get some pretty straight lines if shaping the hair.

If you do get these, there is a bottle of oil that comes with it. My experience with these bottles is that they can leak, so I suggest keeping it out of the kit. You only need a few drops of oil on the blades, too much and it can cause hair to stick and start clogging up.

This is a top quality set of clippers and they are robust enough to do the job. Ideal for professional groomers and amateurs alike.

Philips GC8650/80 PerfectCare Aqua Silence Steam Generator Iron with OptimalTemp - 330 g Silent Steam Boost, 2.5 L, 2400 W, Black/Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars As quiet as a church mouse, 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The current Amazon description advertises this as a detachable 1.5lt tank. The tank is 2.5lt and it is not detachable - just clearing that up.

From the outside looking in, this Iron is not much different that the others on the market. Plenty of steam, does an excellent job of cutting through the ironing. It has a big water tank which unfortunately is not removable. This is probably the only niggling point as I don't like leaving water to stand for more than a few days. That being said, the locking mechanism on the iron, does make it easy to take into the bathroom to empty out.

The optimal temperature takes some getting used to. You don't have a temperature dial, but it is fine for ironing delicates to jeans. The soleplate is a lower temperature than others and works by having a superb steam output. You don't even need to stand the iron up, which is still a bit alien to me, but now I am trusting it not to burn and so far it hasn't. You still need to take care with transfers and logos on t-shirts etc - I would advise ironing them inside out.

One good thing about this iron is that the footprint of it is smaller than others as it is built up. This means it fits better on most ironing board plates.

What really sets the iron apart from the competition is how quiet it is in operation. There is still a bit of grinding as the boiler fills up intermittently, but there is no jet blast noise of the steam. It is just as powerful in getting the steam out and into your creases, but it is just a quiet hissing noise. Now I don't have to have the TV volume on high to compete with the steam noise. Highly recommended

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20