Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 160

SBno1
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
70cl Laphroaig Select Single Malt Whisky
70cl Laphroaig Select Single Malt Whisky
Offered by Shop4whisky

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for Laphroaig, 16 Dec 2014
I am a real fan of Islay malts and I do like the strong peaty taste of Laphroaig 10 year old, but there are times when I feel that it is a little overpowering. I managed to bag a bottle of this at a local supermarket for £25 when it was on offer. I am so glad I got it, it has a much nicer finish than the 10 year old.

First thing I noticed is that it was a slightly lighter colour in the glass than the 10yo. It still retains the peaty taste and smell, but it is far softer and more rounded on the palate. The iodine like qualities of the 10yo are not as pronounced and it isn't quite as harsh in the back of the throat.

If you are a fan of Laphroaig you will definitely like this.

Laphroaig Select Single Malt Whisky
Laphroaig Select Single Malt Whisky
Offered by The Wine Cellar

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from Laphroaig, 16 Dec 2014

If you are a fan of Laphroaig you will definitely like this.

Joseph Joseph Cut and Carve Plus Chopping Board, Large - Black
Joseph Joseph Cut and Carve Plus Chopping Board, Large - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but goes to look tatty very quickly, 11 Dec 2014
This is a really nice cutting board, but as others have stated, it marks too easily. I would expect a cutting board of any design to show cut marks, but this gets to look very old very quickly.

It does a good job of protecting the blade of your knife from rapid dulling and the tray is large enough for everything I have needed to cut or chop. The lip is ideal for preventing food bits and fluids from escaping and is a nice addition. It is grippy and doesn't slide around when carving. All good plus points.

For £17 I would expect something a little more durable. I am about to throw mine out after 12 months use. I spotted a new cutting board on the Amazon Christmas deals for £12 and quickly snapped it up. I then realised it was actually the same as I already have so I cancelled the order. Even for £12 I wouldn't buy it again. It's OK, but I think I am going to get a good quality wooden block

aLLreli® Earphones Headphones Stereo Headset, High Fidelity Sound, In-Ear Design, Noise Isolating, In-line microphone, Ear Gels, Ergonomic Comfortable Ultra Fit Corded Headphones for iPhone, iPod, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry, MP3 Players, etc (Black/Blue)
Offered by ForPower(aLLreli TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good clear sound, 9 Dec 2014
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this is identical to the retail item.

This is a very nice looking set of ear phones with a build quality to match. The clear rubberised coating over the decent length of lead gives the lead an extra layer of protection. The earphones, plug and control are all housed in an blue metal casing (I am guessing something like an anodised aluminium) and all cable entry points have strain relief built in.

The removable ear pieces are easy to swap out, just a gentle pull and they pop off, then simply line up the new piece and push it on until it pops back into place. They can be washed clean if they become a bit waxed up, but obviously when removed from the earphones! There are 3 sizes to choose from, so you should find one to fit. If you are not used to this style of earphone it can take some getting used to having something stuck in your ear. You need to make sure you have the right sized ear piece, too big and it can lead to pressure soreness on the skin, too small and they leak external sound or simply keep falling out. When you get it right, you block out a lot of external sound and you so you don't have to turn the volume up to ear damaging levels to compensate for traffic, train, talking etc. One word of warning: If you are out and about, be careful of your surroundings and crossing the road, these are designed like ear defenders.

I am by no means an audio expert or purist, but I do like clear sound with a bit of a thump to the bass. These earphone deliver that for me with no hiss or crackling. I walked over 15 miles on the weekend and wore these the entire time, they delivered a very nice and rich sound.

I took a call on this which was just a matter of taping the button on the in-line control. I could clearly hear the caller and they could hear me with equal clarity.

The only thing you cannot do with these earphones is skip tracks and adjust volume. I miss the volume adjustment, but as I was streaming radio I didn't miss the skip controls. I was able to control the voice function on my phone (Samsung S5) and was able to tell the phone to call someone and compile and send a text, both done without a problem. This may not be something that every phone will support. I can't take stars ff for the lack of skip and volume control as they are not sold under that guise.

If you want earphones with track control, then you may want to give these a miss. However, if you are not worried about these controls and are looking for a well built pair of earphones for a tablet, laptop, digital radio etc, then you won't go far wrong with these.

Tacwise 191ELS Electric Nail Staple Gun
Tacwise 191ELS Electric Nail Staple Gun

5.0 out of 5 stars Top nail gun., 9 Dec 2014
A little beast of a nail gun. It has the look, feel and performance of a professional tool. Used with Tactwise nails this just punches along through the task of nailing. I do a lot of temporary emergency cladding and barriers, crating, and thin ply and board work. This gun makes light work of it. It is easy to load, just a flick of a catch, slide out the rail and drop in a strip of nails and slam the rail closed.

You can't keep the trigger depressed and just keep punching the head down. You have to fire every time the head goes down, but you soon get into the rhythm of pressing the head down and squeezing the trigger, release and repeat. Neither can you fire a nail across the room, so the safety features are there to stop you getting sued!

I have fired this a few thousand times and only had the occasional bent nail, but not through a fault of the gun. I haven't had a nail jam yet and if it does happen, there is a quick release catch at the front to open the jaws up rather than trying to pry a nail out. Also haven't had a single misfire or failed fire.

Nails are always driven in clean and slightly recessed (depending on density of wood). A few times I have needed to put a bit of weight on the top, which is rounded slightly for comfort.

Ultrasport Women's Galina Parka - Grey/Black, Medium
Ultrasport Women's Galina Parka - Grey/Black, Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all-round weather protection, 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let me get the sizing out of the way. The size sent was medium, but I think it is a bit too snug to be called medium. I am an 8-10. It fits, but I feel that it needs to be a shade bigger. Fine with a t-shirt, but if I put on a woolly jumper is too snug when zipped up. Likewise if you have a larger bust, you may feel it restrictive. The sizing issue isn't a complaint, just something for you to bear in mind when trying to decide on a size. EDIT: the waist is approx 18 inches across before you pull the drawstring

This is a well cut coat that has a smooth polyester lining which is padded for warmth. There is an elasticated drawstring to pull the waist in and an inner mesh pocket.

The polyester shell is wind and water resistant and is closed with a nice chunky zip (with zip pull toggle) that does right up to the chin with a press-stud storm flap to keep the wind and water away from the zip. The rear tail is kept together with a press-stud, which when opened gives a 4-5 inch split for comfort. The hood protrudes past the face, but there is no drawstring. You will need to be careful crossing a road with the hood up as the hood doesn't move when you look left and right, though I find this with most weatherproof coats.

The shell has double stitched seams and they all look to be strong and securely sewn in. The front right has a large button pocket with a further zip (toggle) pocket running behind this. the left is a large button pocket. I find buttons a little tricky with gloves on, but they are not too bad to open and close. The top left has a side entrance breast pocket secured with a zip (toggle). Under the main zip storm flap, there is another side mounted zip pocket, but without a zip toggle, so it may be a bit trickier to open this one with gloves on.

The sleeves are a good length with elasticated cuffs that fold out and have a cut in them for your thumb to poke through and keep the cuff over part of your hand for warmth.

The Parka is a good barrier against the elements. I have used this on a few dog walks in cold, wet and windy conditions and it has kept me warm and dry. A good Parka for most that the UK weather can throw at you. Though I think a long and sustained deluge is likely to get through eventually.

Challenge North Atlantic Salmon Oil, 250 ml
Challenge North Atlantic Salmon Oil, 250 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Low odour fish oil, 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very easy way of feeding a supplement to your pet. Just mix into their wet food or drizzle over their dry food.

I used to give cod liver oil to one of my older dogs, but this used to give him a lot of wind and I was later advised that he shouldn't be taking it. Wish I had this when he was around.

My cat is getting on a bit now and so I am trying him out on this. the recommended dose for a cat is half a teaspoon, which means the bottle should last 100 days. The label says use within 3 months of opening, so I'll be just over that, but should be OK. I put this over the dry food mix and it soaked into it. The cat ate it as if nothing had changed. There is only a very faint oily smell to this, so I don't even know if the cat was aware there was anything on the food.

It's early days to see if this has any health benefits or loosen his joints up, but I am happy to keep feeding it to him. The health benefits of fish oil are well documented.

If you are buying this for 1 cat only, then avoid the larger 500ml bottle. In theory this will last 200 days, well past the recommended use by period after opening. Small dogs = 1 teaspoon (5ml), medium = 2 teaspoons, large = 3 teaspoons

Tacwise 0396 18G/ 25mm Nails (Box of 5000)
Tacwise 0396 18G/ 25mm Nails (Box of 5000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and secure nails, 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Over the last year I have pretty much converted over completely to the Tacwise range. Their staple guns and nail guns are as good as any of the main competitors and their staples and nails have always performed to their best. These nails are exactly what I have come to expect from Tacwise and they are as cheap as chips.

I had this pack to try out, but as I have become quite familiar with this range of nails (and staples) I knew what to expect. Apart from the odd one hitting an existing screw or nail, they all punched in cleanly and recessed in without the need to follow up with a hammer. I haven't had one jam in the gun or mis-feed.

Most of my need for nails comes from rough temporary placement of cladding and wood sheeting for inclement weather conditions, temporary barriers, stage stands and decor. The nails do the job perfectly throughout the size range. I tend to put a few more nails in than are necessary for security sake. With these nails and the Tacwise nail gun, I can just pound a few nails in in just a few seconds and tear through the job.

These one inch nails are an ideal size for thin materials to thicker joists or beams etc. They are also easily removed if deconstructing. yet another winner from Tacwise.

[New Arrival] iClever® IC-BTS02 Enhanced Bass + Rechargeable Portable Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker with Super-Sized 5W Driver, Built-in Microphone, Powerful Sound for MP3 Players, Smart Phones, Pads, Laptops & Other Devices -[Zinc Alloy Shell]
Offered by Elecsmart

5.0 out of 5 stars A little shiny gem, 8 Dec 2014

This is a really sexy looking speaker and it has a really good quality sound to go with that look. I have tried many Bluetooth speakers and when I have done the reviews on them, they get donated to friends and family, but this one jumps right into my shortlist of speakers to keep when I have my next clear out.

At the top you have the speaker grill, the rear contains the micro-USB charge port and aux socket (both cables supplied) for connecting non-Bluetooth devices. Built into the base are the controls, I can see that some people would prefer to keep the controls to hand rather than picking the unit up, but it is a minor downside to keeping the device looking sleek. To be fair, I only ever use the controls on my phone or laptop to jump through songs and answer calls.

The controls are pretty much standard, an on/off switch, play/pause and skip through songs. Press and hold the skip keys to turn the volume up and down. Whilst the controls are in the base, they are not touching the surface being sat on. There is an anti-scratch, anti-slip rubber foot which raises the speaker up. There is a protective film covering this that needs to be peeled off or it will slide around.

The music coming from the speakers is rich and powerful with deep thuds for bass. I am by no means an audio expert or perfectionist, but for me this is good clear sound and a pleasure to listen to.

You can take calls on this, the callers voice is clear and they do not get any echoing of their own voice. My caller could clearly hear me when close, but I had to be facing the mic on the speaker, when I got more than a few feet away, they said I was quiet, but could be heard. The further I moved the quieter I got until I faded out, which is no more that I would expect from my phone. I was more than happy with this as I only really want speakers for music and this clearly delivers on this.

Battery life is very good. After a full charge of a few hours it ran for a collective 6 hours before I put it on charge. It didn't need to go on charge, but I never give my devices the chance to run flat, always preferring top-up charges. Since then it has easily run for several hours at a time with no indication of it running flat.

This will make a very nice gift for someone with a phone, tablet, laptop etc and they want to have a richer sound experience. This is a little gem

Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream 75 ml
Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream 75 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I have ever had my hands on!, 8 Dec 2014
You just need a small amount for your hands. It doesn't immediately soak in like some lotions, so you have a little time in which to work it across your hands. As it starts to absorb you are left with very soft hands indeed. If you over apply it you can be left with a slightly greasy feel, but as you get used to how much to apply, it gets a lot better.

Since discovering this in a supermarket a few years ago I have never gone back. At one time it was cheaper to buy it in my local supermarket, but this was still coming in at around £4.50 - £5. Then I spotted Amazon selling it for £3.30 so I bought 5 of them before the price went back up!

I have recommended this to many friends and family.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20