Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 259
Helpful Votes: 1926

SBno1
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
[2 PACK] Universal Windshield Mobile Phone Car Mount Holder - 360° Rotation - Easy Installation - Fits Smartphones from 2.2" to 3.5" wide, including iPhone 5/5S/5C/4S/4, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/S3 , GPS and other devices - Lifetime Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Your phone is safe in the arms of this mount, 28 Sep 2014
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review. As far as I am aware this item is identical to the retail product.

In the box you get 2 car mounts that come in 2 parts and these are easy to put together with no tools required. Just unscrew the ball joint receiver collar by hand, pop the hone holder into the joint and tighten up the joint. One thing to watch out for is when attaching the collar to the thread is to not cross thread it. It is easy to do it and took me a few tries to line it up properly. When it is on, you will only ever need to loosen it to adjust the angle of the holder and re-tighten when the angle is right. Your phone or device can be mounted in landscape or portrait mode (depending on your preference) just by rotating the ball joint.

The holder is stuck to glass by a gummy rubber cup. At the back of the cup is a twist lock dial like button that causes a vacuum to be made in the cup and thus sticking solidly to the glass. Reverse action to release it.

The phone or device is held in a tight grip by means of a pincer like jaw that pulls closed by means of a spring. It is a little fiddly as you will want to use 2 hands to pull the jaws open. I found it easy to place the edge of my phone in the one jaw and pull the other open which causes the jaws to open equally. When the phone is in place it isn't going anywhere. A rubberised lining for the jaw aids grip and protects the phone from scratches.

I have been over some pretty rough and pot holed roads with the phone in place and it didn't budge and didn't show any signs of slipping. Once in position with the collar tightened appropriately you can be rest assured that you are not going to have to be picking your phone up off the floor half way through your journey, which is exactly what you want when you have an expensive drop sensitive device mounted in it.

As I found it a little fiddly to get the collar on and open the jaws I was tempted to mark it down for this, but once the collar is on, you won't need to take it off again and I have gotten used to fitting my phone into this now. This is a really good price for 2 car mounts and they are of good build quality. A definite hit for me.

[2 PACK] 100% Nylon Travel Money Belt - Lightweight and Breathable - Safe and Subtle Storage for Your Passports, Credit Cards, Money, Wallets, Keys and More - One Size Fits All - Lifetime Warranty (Amber + Amber)

5.0 out of 5 stars Discreet and comfortable, 27 Sep 2014

I always thought that the idea of a bum bag was great. No pick pocketing and no bag snatching. Despite my liking of the idea of the practicalities of a bum bag, I wouldn't be seen dead wearing one! This little money belt is a whole different thing. It is slim, discreet and surprisingly comfortable to wear. It is quite tough and tear resistant with a soft padded layer that goes against your body and this is covered in a wicking mesh. The elasticated band that goes around your body is easily adjusted and allows the pouch to be swivelled around should you want it placed in the small of your back. If worn under baggy clothing or an outer jacket, no one will know it is there.

You get 2 zip compartments one of which has 3 inner pockets for credit cards so they are not bunched up. You can get a fair bit in the pouches, but obviously the more you pile in, the heavier it gets and will start to protrude. It is primarily designed for cash and cards, but I have slipped in my big Samsung Galaxy S5.

It is an ideal pouch for going to crowded places where pick pockets and bag snatchers are likely to be targeting victims.

Today I went out walking with the dog. The weather was warm and the shorts I wore only had one pocket. Normally I just carry my phone, but today I gave this pouch a field test, so I packed a few essentials in the pouch including some cash. The walk was 8 miles and I never once felt the pouch rubbing or digging in. By some twist of fate and nothing to do with the route I planned, I walked past a pub selling some very nice cask ales and I just happened to have cash on me! Thank you The Friendly Swede :D

A really well made, well thought out and comfortable to wear pouch. This will be coming along with me on more walks to the pub....I mean countryside!

[4 PACK] Sports Sunglass Straps - four lightweight thin-frame sunglass cords for sports, outdoor activities and everyday use - Lifetime Warranty (Brown)
Offered by The Friendly Swede [UK]

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for expensive glasses you don't want to lose, 27 Sep 2014

I have to say that these are a lot sturdier than they look in the photograph. They are a thick cord, but as the weave is a little loose, there is just the right amount of give in the length of it. At the back is a rubberised toggle that will take up any excess slack and thus be able to customise the fall of the glasses on your chest when off your face. The whole ensemble is of good quality and will last for years.

I usually fold my sun glasses and hook them into my t-shirt, but I had to stop doing it when I saw photos of me with the neck line pulled out of shape and looking rather odd. I then started putting my glasses down and forgetting to pick them back up or have someone sit on them. Not a huge problem if the glasses were cheap, not so funny if you have spent a weeks wages on them or they are your prescription glasses. This is why I started using straps, my optician was making too much money out of me!

If you haven't used straps before then they can take a little getting used to. In the beginning the cord hooks around your ear or you want to keep putting your glasses down, but can't! They attach to the arms of your glasses by means of a rubber tube end and are fixed by friction alone, which is a surprisingly strong force. Simply slide the rubber tube on the arm and wiggle it donw the arm. If you have wide arm ends then it may help to warm the ends to make them a little more pliable - don't use very hot water because if they are too soft they just fold over. When cooled they will have a vice like grip on your shades.

One last comment. When you get them, open the box up and let them air out. The rubber tubes have a strong odour, but it does dissipate.

Now where did I put my Magnum PI glasses?

1Byone 3-Port 5.1A(2.1A 2A 1A) Aluminum Panel Compact Designed Rapid USB Car Charger For iPhone iPad Samsung Galaxy Motorola HTC Asus Huawei Cellphones Android Smartphones Tablet Pc Gopro Ebooks e-Reader MP3 Player GPS and More, Color Black And Red
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift idea and stocking filler, 27 Sep 2014

I used to have a dual port charger in my car, but there are times when travelling that I need to charge my phone, tablet and run my TomTom. I used to have to keep juggling leads - Well here is the solution.

This is a very chic and well built car charger. It fits perfectly into a 12v cigarette lighter socket and easily supplies the power needed for most USB chargeable devices. I tried a variety of devices in this as a test and all had no trouble charging: Kindle touch, Older button kindle, Asus tablet, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4s, Samsung NX2000 camera, Samsung WB600 camera, portable battery units and a TomTom Go720. There are 2x 2.1A ports for particularly power hungry devices or faster charging and 1x 1A port. The ports are spaced apart with sufficient room that they don't interfere with each other. The temperature gets a bit warm, but nothing that causes any undue concern.

I usually say that the acid test for me is would I buy one if I was in the market looking for one. Well, I was in the market looking for something like this and I was sent one to try. This was exactly what I was looking for.

A great little device and a good price. Need an idea for a birthday present or Christmas stocking filler? - give them one of these - and don't forget one for yourself.

1Byone Ultra Slim Desktop USB Wall Rapid Charging U-Station, Made for Apple Devices, Off-the-charts Power with Smart Port Quick-Qharge Technology
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal gift for a modern USB connected person, 27 Sep 2014

With the modern household becoming more and more dependent upon charging devices from a USB port, it makes good sense to buy a multi-adaptor. This one is just the ticket for charging up power hungry iPhones and iPads and still have room for other devices.

I tried a variety of devices in this and in different arrangements with no trouble charging: Kindle touch, Older button kindle, Asus tablet, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4s, Samsung NX2000 camera, Samsung WB600 camera, portable battery units and an LED table lamp. 3 of the ports are rated 1A and one port is rated 2.4A which is best saved for tablets and larger devices or where you may need a faster charge time.

The temperature remains cool and it looks fashionable. The item is delivered in a pretty decent soft feel box which makes it look like a really decent item for a birthday, Christmas etc. As it takes up a relatively small amount of space, it would also be ideal for someone who travels away from home a lot and needs to charge phone and tablets etc in a hotel room.

A good solid block with dust covers that don't interfere with the charging lead. I always apply the acid test in that if I were looking for something like this and had bought it, would I be happy with it? Yes, I would be very happy if I had purchased this.

Pinzon Luxury Banded Bath Mat, Espresso
Pinzon Luxury Banded Bath Mat, Espresso

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury for your piggies., 27 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
WOW! This bath mat is better than my bath towels! I was half expecting some bog standard run of the mill bath mat that was making claims of luxury like they all do, but as soon as I pulled it out of the bag I could tell I was completely wrong. This is the kind of bath mat you would find at an expensive and posh hotel.

This is a thick mat, with a tight weave which is why it is fairly heavy. Despite the tight weave, it is still soft. When you step onto it with wet feet you can feel the water being soaked up and It's a pleasure to stand on it. It was so comfortable I was half tempted to curl up on it with a good book!

It doesn't have a rubber back to it, which for me has 2 plus points: No perished rubber covered with water stains and the mat can be put in the wash and tumble drier with all the other towels. Rubber backs are only good to prevent slipping mats, so if you have a smooth tiled floor then you may have to take a little care against slips. That being said, it is a good size, not like some postage stamps I have seen and so you won't have puddles of water on the floor to slip on when you step off the mat.

The colour range, whilst limited, has been well chosen to compliment most neutral colours. It was a good match in my cream bathroom.

I don't know what the bathroom towels are like and I would love to try them out. If they are anything like this mat then the whole rage will make an exceptional wedding or house warming gift - or just treat yourself!

EDIT: I wanted to upload a photo to show the absorbency, but customers images have been disabled for this page. I stepped onto the mat and the water was pulled into the mat from my foot and left a perfect footprint. I took another step and all the only water left was around the edge of my foot where water was running down. This left the outline of my foot, the sole was completely dry from one step.

Kid Galaxy Morphibians Shark
Kid Galaxy Morphibians Shark

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not the best build or power, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: Kid Galaxy Morphibians Shark (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This little buggy zips along on smooth surfaces, but not so good out in the garden. With new batteries on it struggled to go through short grass. Admittedly, my garden is bumpy, but the way this is sold, one would think it would be whizzing around the garden like an all terrain vehicle.

It is OK in water, but it has to rely on the tread of the tyre to provide the paddle motion. The tread isn't particularly and so it only gurgles through the water.

The build quality is not too bad, but the on off switch is a bit weak looking. You will need to buy 2x aaa and 3x aa batteries to power the remote and car. The car could have done with at least 4x aa to give it a bit more life on a set of batteries. Controls take a bit of getting used to and they are not the most responsive. I would gently push forward expecting it to crawl, but nothing happens until I get about 25% of the way forward and then it zips off. It would have been better if the full range of throttle had worked from 0-100% power to give more control.

Adult supervision will be needed to remove the car as it's wired in. The wire runs tightly around the axels and loops back on itself. Other than a screwdriver for the battery compartments, the only assembly required is to pop the antenna tube into the body of the car to hold the antenna upright.

For £20 I would have expected a little bit better, but it isn't a bad toy. Still a bit of fun for a young boy. My nephew uses it in the garage as there is a big flat smooth floor there and I have set him up a little track to race around.....though I drew the line at digging out the floor to make a pond for it!

Olympus PEN E-PL7 Interchangeable Lens Camera - White (16.1MP, M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake Lens) 3.0 inch Touchscreen LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality good looking camera, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is for the PL7 with pancake lens - other reviews may appear under the same page.

Firstly, I would like to say that I am by no means a professional photographer and I do not have an in depth knowledge of the inner workings of a camera such as aperture, shutter speeds, ISO ratings etc. This review is assumes that like me, you want to get to know more about photography and taking some new steps, or are happy using the full auto mode and let the camera choose what it thinks is best. If you are looking for more than that, then I advise you skip my review to save wasting your time. I currently have a Samsung NX2000 and I will draw upon a few comparisons.

This camera has a very solid feel to it. The body is a little heavier and thicker than an NX2000. However, with the pancake lens fitted, it actually fits better into my camera bag than the NX2000. Oddly enough, the slightly larger size gives it a little more comfort in the hand. It has a good build quality to go along with its fashionable look. When attaching the lens it makes the NX2000 feel a little flimsy in comparison and likewise all other parts feel robust. The function buttons on the rear panel are a little on the small size but they are responsive even to my sausage fingers.

Where the Samsung NX2000 takes the edge is in the size of the sensor, this is the same size light gathering chip as an entry level DSLR where as the PL7 has a slightly smaller chip. For most situations it won't make a lot of difference and of course it is still a whole lot better than a compact which is tiny in comparison. However, if the light capture capability is important then you will need to take this into consideration.

A complaint about the NX2000 was that the screen was not very clear in bright sunlight. The PL7 doesn't seem to suffer as badly as it is clearer in these situations (thankfully the sun held out a little longer for me to test this). The touch screen is filled with functionality and it is as responsive as any other touch screen I have handled. Also you can tilt up out to give you a look down view or tilt down to raise the camera over your head to get a shot. If you continue tilting the screen will face forward for that all important selfie - personally I prefer taking them blind - much more fun!

Big advantage over the NX2000 is that it takes SD/SD-HC/SD-XC whereas the NX2000 only takes micro-SD. Why is this important? In my experience you have a better range of faster and more reliable cards in the SD range.

The flash comes with a soft pouch for storage on the strap when not in the hot shoe. In dark rooms on full auto I have had better results with less noise using the PL7 than the NX2000 - granted in experienced hands this could go the other way.

As for taking pictures and video - both are very good. The NX2000 has a higher resolution and with 20 megapixels, but video output is the same. Agreed, higher mega-pixel count and resolution isn't the mark of a better camera, I am just putting it out there. Both cameras give crystal sharp pictures in good light and easy to use when in point and click. It is difficult for me to say which is better in these circumstances - both are as good as each other. The PL7 seems to focus faster and with a smooth quiet lens action. I tried to focus on a distant plane in the sky, the PL7 locked onto it after panning past it once, but the NX2000 had to pan in and out a few times before realised something was there and locked on to it.

In terms of extras, the NX2000 has some good firmware being able to directly upload images to, Facebook, Picasa, YouTube and a Microsoft one drive account. Maybe with a firmware upgrade the PL7 will be able to do the same. Both cameras will allow you to use a phone as a view finder and control the camera. Both were easy to set up and connect to a wireless network.

The bottom line for me is that the PL7 is a superb camera and for me the auto mode gets me fantastic looking pictures, so in the right hands and with experience it can only get better. At this time the body and pancake lens is currently £500 (£400 for the non-pancake lens) whereas the NX2000 I bought for £180. The NX2000 has some disadvantages over the PL7, but I think in terms of functionality, quality of pictures and of course the all important price, I think the NX2000 wins the race albeit the PL7 is right on its tail.

Despite my preference to the NX2000 I can't see any reason not to give this 5 stars. I was tempted to take it down to 4 stars on VFM, but I do realise that the pancake lens is what bumps the price up as it would on any other camera. The model without the pancake lens is currently £400 and I think you could get more bang for your buck. I have no doubt that in about 6 months the price would have fallen and then the PL7 will become a heck of a lot more competitive.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2014 8:02 PM BST

Leifheit 72567 AirSteam Premium Large Lightweight Deluxe Ironing Board for Steam Generator Irons, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent board with good through ventilation, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the ironing boards I have had in the past, they have always had a metal mesh as a board. This was fine, but as time wore on the paint would blister from the steam and rust would get in. Eventually, and usually outside the warranty, the thing would crumble. This board addresses that issue by using a foam like board. Yes it sounds odd, but it works. By using this type of foam the ironing board is a lot lighter in weight and thus not as top heavy when at full height making it a little more stable.

The plate is of a sturdy heat resistant plastic with a cut out for a standard iron to sit in at an angle and resting on a few silicone buttons. The plate is nice and wide and easily takes a steam generator. The rod clipped to the plate can raise, lock into place and pull the steam tubes out of the way. This is a great way of stopping the tube from snagging between the plate and ironing board. Unfortunately, if you are left handed, this rod may get in your way (if you have the plate to your left). I can't say that it will as I am right handed and so it is on the other side of the plate and out of the way.

This board raises to a good height and will save your back if you are tall. It is a long board, but my only minor niggle is that the board is narrower than my existing board. Not a huge problem unless you tend to do lots of bed sheets where the extra width just saves a few more drags of the sheet across the board.

A well built, stable, light weight good height board. Steam penetrates the clothing well as it can easily escape through the board.

Vstarcam T7838WIP (720P Plug and Play) Wireless IP Camera Support 32G Micro SD Card Night Vision with Two-Way Audio Remote control 4.2MM Lens WiFi IR-Cut Up To 10M Indoor Wireless/Wired Surveillance Webcam Build In Mic Dual Filter, Support 802.11b/g/n protocol, Build-in WiFi Module To Perform Wireless Monitoring
Offered by buyinsummer

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep an eye on your belongings, 24 Sep 2014
I received one of these through Amazon courtesy of the supplier. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest and detailed review.

In the box you get the camera, network cable, mains adaptor, mounting plate, antennae and instructions.

You will need a little bit of time and patience setting this up. I couldn't get it running for a while, but perseverance paid off.

You will need to wire this directly into your wireless router if you want to run this wirelessly. You will also need to install the app on your phone. The app will allow you to connect to the camera that is hard wired on your network and when connected you can then set it up to access your wireless network. Once that is done you will be OK. It may also help to have a QR code reader installed on your phone as you can scan the QR image on the camera which will cause the app to look for the right camera. When it is done and you are running wirelessly if you power the camera down, you must give this a few minutes to connect up to your network when you power it back up. When switched on you will see the camera run through a pan and tilt motion as it boots up.

The app will allow you to control the pan and tilt, you can record the video or stills, listen to the sound or speak back through the camera - It isn't a two way communicator though, you will have to switch between listening and speaking.

On my home network I have a really high quality image and sound, but as my broadband speed is poor and I am often without a decent 3G signal, then I have to drop the quality right down and it becomes blocky. That is no fault of the camera, but of poor speeds. On poor connection speeds the pan and tilt functions with a great deal of lag - again no fault of the camera.

If you can get a good upload speed at home and a decent 4G or 3G signal (or other wireless network) then you can keep the quality high. For usage outside your home you will need to have an account set up through the app or the web site. If you don't then your remote viewer will not know how to find the camera.

I have only used this for remote monitoring of the baby when he is in bed and the infra red is ideal when the light is out. There is plenty of scope for this as a security device with automatic capture if you are not able to monitor the camera and also remote viewing of any stills or video captured.

A good IP camera with a reasonable build quality and good functionality, tricky to set up, but once done you shouldn't have to mess about with it too much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20