Profile for SBno1 > Reviews

Content by SBno1
Top Reviewer Ranking: 353

SBno1
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elefun and Friends Mousetrap
Elefun and Friends Mousetrap
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A classical re-vamp, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Elefun and Friends Mousetrap (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good revamp of the classic mouse trap game, which was quite bland in comparison to this game.

Bright colourful pieces are linked together to form a mouse trap. If you have played the classic game it is much the same and there are similarities in the trap itself.

At first it looks like you need a degree in engineering to put it all together, but if you follow the instructions you will have it put together in a few minutes. The pieces are all hard wearing and look like they will last. Unfortunately, the life span of this game is as limited as the original. It is not something that will be played with on a regular basis but will probably make an appearance at family get together party.

Abut the only thing I could find minor fault with is that the problem of false triggering of the trap that existed in the original, still exists today. As long as you are not too heavy handed, then it shouldn't trigger off. However, it is still a great improvement on the original.

Remington HC5880 Indestructible Hair Clippers
Remington HC5880 Indestructible Hair Clippers
Price: 69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock solid, 2 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the snap close storage box you get the clippers, instructions, blade guard, oil, cleaning brush, mains charger, 9 straight blades and 2 tapered blades.

I was quite pleased to find that this comes in a decent sized storage case so that you do not have to be a puzzle expert to be able to get all the parts back in, just throw them in and make sure the cable doesn't get pinched when closing. I note one reviewer saying their instructions were badly written, but them may have corrected that now as mine were perfectly readable and understandable.

The charging cable is 3 meters long, so if you forget to charge the clippers then you can run them from the mains and have cable enough to manoeuvre. Charge time is 4 hours, but you don't necessarily have to wait that long to use them. When fully charged the clippers are reported to run for around 2 hours, I can't say I have let mine run flat, but 2 hours seems about right.

If you have used clippers before then you will be familiar with the simple clip on blades. They slip on easy enough and stay firmly anchored. There are plenty of sizes to choose from, but I can only comment on a number 3 cut as that is all I ever have. I let my hair grow and then chop the lot off down to the wood (almost).

Give the blades a little dab of oil, but don't over do it as it can cause cut hair to clog the blades up. Clip the chosen blade on and let rip. I have quite thick hair and I can always hear clippers drop in tone as they go through my hair, especially the sides. With these the torque level helps keep the blades at a more consistent speed to prevent catching. That being said, you can't just sprint through your hair, you still have to go at an even pace. I was very happy with the cutting performance - well my wife was, she does the cutting.

Cleaning can be done under a tap, but being careful not to submerge the device. The head pops off easily if you prefer not to go near the water with the clippers and the blades come apart if deeper cleaning is required. When the head is off you will see a pin that moves the blade. It would be good to periodically put some plastic safe grease on this. I wouldn't recommend the oil as it contains distillates that can attack plastic.

Overall the clipper is a solid, well made piece of kit. It feels comfortable in the hand, is not overly heavy and performs very well. The casing is covered in a soft feel plastic that looks like it will take a really hard knock without causing damage. The blades are thick and strong and would probably not bend if dropped directly onto a hard floor. It is quiet in operation and the motor is powerful enough to tackle a full head of thick hair at a reasonable speed without tugging and ripping out hair.

BETA Adult Terriers with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
BETA Adult Terriers with Chicken, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
Price: 31.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A happy dog, 2 Sep 2014
I have tried a few of these BETA foods with my other dogs and they all get on well with it. It seems to be a bit expensive, but compared to other premium dog foods it is good value for money.

I tried this food for our little terrier as she was missing out on the big boys food, although she did manage to snaffle the occasional chunk when they weren't looking. So it came as no surprise to see that she jumped right into this bowl of food and wolfed it down.

I can't really say if there the health benefits are what they say they are, but at the same time I can't say that the dog has been ill or showing any negative effects from eating it and her stools look fine.

It is a good food, smells OK, is in good sized chunks for eating and most importantly the food bowl is emptied very soon after being filled. I am happy with no wasted food.

Rotring RO800+ 0.7 GB Mechanical Pencil with Stylus - Silver
Rotring RO800+ 0.7 GB Mechanical Pencil with Stylus - Silver
Price: 42.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional, 2 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a finely engineered and beautifully crafted pencil. As soon as you pick it up you can feel the build quality oozing through the barrel. It has a bit of weight to it, but not so much that it will lead to fatigue when in use. The top end weight gives good balance as it sits neatly in the fingers with the top sitting back into the crook of your thumb and forefinger like a cradled baby. Writing and drawing with this pencil is like taking a drive in a luxury car; comfort, class and stylish.

The knurled bottom end gives good grip without having the need to use a vice grip to control it. The pocket clip is tight so it isn't going to fall out of your pocket when you lean over. Above the clip sits another knurled collar which when twisted pushes out the pencil mechanism from the tip and locks it firmly in place. The lead is pushed out using the top cap and holding it down will allow the lead to be pushed back inside with the movement being fluid in both operations. Pull the cap off to expose the eraser and pull the eraser off to refill the pencil. A twist back on the collar will cause the mechanism to spring back home and out of the way.

When the mechanism is tucked away the tip becomes a stylus for a notebook or mobile phone. The stylus gives good precise control on the touch screen.

Normally I would knock a star off for value for money and at the current price of 40 I was tempted, but when you consider that a Mont Blanc pencil can set you back around 300 it suddenly appears to be a bargain for what it a little piece of engineering luxury

Hama Dispersion Headset - Orange
Hama Dispersion Headset - Orange
Price: 12.16

5.0 out of 5 stars light, comfy, clear, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got these primarily for using with Skype calls where previously I was using ear buds and the computers built in microphone. In contrast to my existing set up these are superb. The calls are clear and the caller can hear me without any problems. Of course if you have a bad mobile signal / slow speed then you are going to still get distortion or poor quality sound, but that is not the fault of the headset, it replicates what it receives quite clearly.

They are comfortable to wear and the longest I have had them on is for just over an hour. During this time I didn't feel any pressure soreness on my ears. The cable length is very good at around 2 meters. Where as previously I have had to sit next to my laptop, now I can put stand up and stretch my legs and move around my desk if I have to. Although there are times when the cable does get in the way (there is no pleasing some people!).

I have listened to music with these and I am very impressed with the sound replication. Admittedly, these are not high-end audio headphones and I don't think they are really designed to be replacement music headphones, but they do a decent enough job for the average person to enjoy music whilst at their desk.

For the current price of 12 you get a reasonably well built, comfortable, light-weight headset that is ideal for a small home office. If you are in a particularly noisy office, you may want to consider something more closed cup to shut out some of the sound.

TaoTronics TT-DL05 Dimmable Touch Eye-Care LED Desk Lamp (9W, Black, Flexible Gooseneck, 7-Level Dimmer, Slide Touch-Sensitive Control Panel, No Dark Area, No Ghosting, No Glaring)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK
Price: 79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lamp, 30 Aug 2014
Length:: 0:09 Mins

I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have only requested that I leave an honest review.

With reference to the video, due to the auto white balance of my camera it doesn't really show the full range of brightness, but you may get an idea of it and of the size.

This well packaged lamp requires no assembly other than plugging in the adaptor. It has a good solid weighted base, a long goose neck arm that is easy to bend into any angle that you need and the head is a flat plate with a nice frosted cover over the LEDs which leads to a more even spread of light. The whole thing is covered with a soft feel plastic coating.

There is a softly bevelled trough that runs along the front edge of the base. On the left of the trough is a small led to indicate where to turn it on. The LED is not bright so if you are using this as a bedroom lamp it isn't going to throw out an annoying light at night. When you have the lamp on you either tap somewhere in the trough to jump to that brightness or slide your finger along to where you want it. There is a string of LEDs in the trough to show you what brightness you have. It will return to this level when switched back on.

The light is a crisp clean white light which may not appeal to fans of the softer yellow incandescent bulbs. I prefer white light as it doesn't distort colours. There is no flicker from the LEDs, no electrical whine and the light it gives out is plenty to read from. It is also an ideal desk lamp as there is no shadowing and the light is bright enough to work with.

In all it is a great lamp the only thing I would like to see as an improvement is the lower level of brightness. There isn't a huge difference between to and bottom brightness. I would prefer it if it could have been just a bit dimmer on the bottom end. I don't need a lot of light to read by, so I like to have the light down low so that my wife isn't disturbed too much if I stay up reading. That being said, I am not going to take a star off because my wife complains about the light! Lastly, as this is an LED lamp there is a lot less heat being thrown off, which is a help in the summer months.

An excellent quality functional lamp that will save on your electricity bill.

[2-in-1] HooToo 3-Port USB 3.0 HUB with 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Converter (3 USB 3.0 Ports, A RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Port, Support Windows XP, Vista, Win7/8 (32/64 bit), Mac OS 10.6 or higher, Linux) HT-UE01
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality piece of kit, 30 Aug 2014

I have a Sony Vaio hybrid laptop / tablet. It is a great machine, but only has 2 USB 3.0 ports and doesn't have a network port. I have been able to get away with the lack of ports by using hubs, but when I take it to a premises with no Wi-Fi (yes they do exists!) it becomes a problem, but not any more :D

The device feels very well made, the 3 ports work fine. I plugged in an Android phone, 256GB USB 3.0 pen drive, an external SSD drive and the network port and all worked without a hiccup. I would say that if you are using an underpowered USB port, then you may experience USB drives not getting recognised or dropping out (depending on how much power they are drawing), this is no fault of the hub. If you think this may be you, try a hub that comes with an external power supply.

All ports worked for me so I was happy with that. The Network port worked perfectly and I was hitting gigabit speeds the same as if the port was on-board. Of course if the computer you are connecting to is on WLAN or on 100mbit LAN, then you are not going to see Gigabit speeds, but again this is no fault of the hub.

I have also used this on a cross over Ethernet cable and it has worked fine. The stubby cable is enough to stop the hub from getting in the way of other ports, but no so long that you suffer signal or power loss.

This is a well made and designed hub, a must have for those who need more ports and a LAN port.

Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02
Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02
Price: 16.10

5.0 out of 5 stars high quality stapler, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a slightly different designed stapler than I am used to. Normally I use a stapler that has the staples being pushed out at the very end of the device. With this, the staple head is set further back. The advantage of this is that you get plenty of leverage when punching through a wad of paper. On a thinner sheaves of paper the staple does such a quick and clean job with so little effort that at first I didn't think it had stapled the paper. The stapler can do up to 20 sheets, but I did manage 25, but the paper was very thin and cheap.

The body is pretty much all metal with a solid weighty feel to it. You do not want to be having an office argument with someone holding one of these in their hand! You staple closure can be changed from closed to open by twisting the anvil plate from underneath. On the bottom is a soft plastic base with a little window for you to put your name inside. Loading the stapler is just a matter of lifting the handle and dropping in a new rail of staples.

A top quality stapler that will no doubt be stolen from your desk by an envious work colleague

Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 TypeStaples 10mm (2000)
Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 TypeStaples 10mm (2000)
Price: 3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality staples, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There isn't much to really say about staples. You want them to punch cleanly through the material you are fastening and also into the material you are securing onto. These staples do the job. As long as the wood isn't too hard or you don't hit a knot in the wood then the staple fires right into the wood and is as flush as you can get it. They break off the clip cleanly and don't try to drag a few others with it. Of course a lot depends on your staple gun and its performance, but rest assured these are up to the task.

I used them with a Tacwise Z1-140 and they worked perfectly. I can't say the same for any staple gun, but as long as it is a decent quality gun, then I don't anticipate any of these folding over or jamming up the gun

Tacwise 180/15MM 18G Nails (2000)
Tacwise 180/15MM 18G Nails (2000)
Price: 6.28

5.0 out of 5 stars They had the customary hard board back plates and I hate having to hammer in the pins and they never ..., 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These came just in time when I was assembling a couple of standalone bookshelves. They had the customary hard board back plates and I hate having to hammer in the pins and they never supply enough.

The nails loaded nicely into the Tacwise Z3-140 and broke off the strip when fired. Each nail drove in cleanly with no jams. The nails held the board firm and tight. They did exactly what I needed them to do.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20