ARRAY(0xb3ed61a4)

Profile for Odysseus > Reviews

Content by Odysseus

Odysseus "DCH" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Antony and Cleopatra (The New Cambridge Shakespeare)
Antony and Cleopatra (The New Cambridge Shakespeare)
by William Shakespeare
Price: 8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear all-round text, 6 Dec 2013
Like others, I've seen booksellers get confused about the editions of these plays. Cambridge have several printings of this edition and I think for some booksellers and/or editions the ISBN stayed the same. The latest printings have a bright colourful photograph on the cover and were printed 2012/2013.

The text itself is very clean and clear. To compare, I find Arden's type quality not as good - whether this is due to paper quality or ink or printing quality or all three I don't know, but Cambridge is nicely printed for the price. In most other respects it is similar to the Arden editions with lots of historical, contextual and performance notes, followed by the play followed by appendices for discussion of the text and other topics. As for the quality of the text itself, I cannot say as I'm not a Shakespearean scholar, but I can say that all major textual edits are discussed and debated.

A & C is not one of my faourite S plays but nevertheless this is an excellent edition, as seems to be the case with these NCS editions.

The Conformist (Dual Format Edition) [DVD + Blu-ray] [1970]
The Conformist (Dual Format Edition) [DVD + Blu-ray] [1970]
Dvd ~ Jean-Louis Trintignant
Price: 23.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamond, 27 Oct 2013
This film is utterly unique and brilliant. I have watched a lot of films and am greatly surprised that this has passed me by all these years - I only recently heard about it on Visions of Light - a film about cinematography.

Every aspect of film making here is done to excess; acting, story, dialogues, pacing, sound, music, lighting, mood, costumes, props, locations and above all else photography which is stunning. In every aspect it goes one stage beyond the norm. A lot of scenes remind me of early dadist works, and the film is also loaded with classical and literary allusion - however you don't need those to understand or appreciate the story, which deals with the biggest and ultimately saddest part of the 20th century, namely the rise of nazism.

Mens Soft Black Leather Zip Around Wallet Notecase
Mens Soft Black Leather Zip Around Wallet Notecase
Offered by Supreme Leather
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Secure wallett, 15 Oct 2012
I bought this as my old leather wallet got 'slack' and the plastic cards were literally falling out of it. Not impressed when I found one of them missing... So I looked for a wallet with a zip and this one does the job nicely. There is space for about 5 or 6 cards plus a photo pouch and a minute coin pouch which has a very small zip opening. There are about four plastic card holders which are held together with a leather 'top' with a popper fastener, then the zip goes all the way around the wallet. The main wallet compartment itself is only just big enough for UK 20 notes, with a little 'crimping' of the notes, and plenty big enough for 10 notes. For those rich enough to wield 50 notes, you'll probably have to fold them in half to get them in this wallet.

Quality is OK to good with this wallet. I reckon I will get a couple of years out of it before something fails like the zip, but I'm just happy that my stuff is safe and secure, unlike traditional wallets. It wasn't very expensive so I'd be happy to buy another in two years' time.

Kitchen Cabinets Made Simple
Kitchen Cabinets Made Simple
by Gregory Paolini
Price: 21.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but no plans!, 14 Oct 2012
This is a book about how to construct your own kitchen cabinets. The book stresses the importance of using a plan of what you are making, then promptly does NOT USE A PLAN! The only way to make sense of this book is to back out a plan from the desciption in the book and accompanying DVD (which is harder than it sounds) and then to go ito your workshop with that. This is a crazy way of presenting such material. To say 'always have a plan' then show an hours worth of video footage and a book's worth of construction projects with no plan in sight is mad. I literally had no sense of what the guy was making or what part he was working on until the whole thing came together at the end.

That said everything else about the book and DVD is very good. It's just such a shame that there are no plans. I found the authors' website and e-mailed him hoping that there might be some SketchUp plans online or something like that, but I got NO RESPONSE.

If you are looking to make kitchen units and like working from a plan (as the majority of people do) then look elsewhere.

Prometheus to Alien: The Evolution Box Set (9-Disc Set) [Blu-ray] [1979]
Prometheus to Alien: The Evolution Box Set (9-Disc Set) [Blu-ray] [1979]
Dvd ~ Sigourney Weaver
Price: 32.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb box set, 14 Oct 2012
For starters let me say I love the Prometheus film, perhaps my favourite film of all time. For me it's great that it opens up more questions about the Alien back story than it answers. If the film answered everything, then there might be less chance for further sequels which would be a BAD THING! Visually the film is stunning and I don't understand people when the say the plot is lacking or the characters are not logical. I would answer that humans are rarely logical anyway. I think the plot is fine.

The box set itself is very nicely put together with a booklet of artwork from Prometheus and a T-shirt, A4 poster of the engineer by Detifoss in Iceland (the waterfall scene) and some post cards.

I've watched the Promethus blu-ray and again with the Ridley Scott's commentary which was enlightening in a few places, but he doesn't give everything away. As far as I remember the cut of the film is identical to the theatrical release. There are a bunch of deleted scenes as an extra to the disc but there is no way of watching the film with those added in. I haven't watched the other alien films yet, so I can't comment on those, but I'm sure they have the same high production standards.

All in all, delighted I bought this box set.

Tesa Sensitive Surfaces Low Tack Masking Tape With 7 Days Residue Free Removal, 50 mm x 50 m
Price: 8.77

1.0 out of 5 stars No tack tape!, 25 Jan 2012
Couldn't get it to stick to anything, even itself. You would think that if I wrapped it around something, going over itself, it would at least stick, well no, it doesn't. Best place for this is unbought on the suppliers shelves.

Griffin Survivor Military Tested Case for iPhone 4/4S- Black
Griffin Survivor Military Tested Case for iPhone 4/4S- Black
Offered by Terminal 1
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Chunky rubber... that's what you pay for., 21 Dec 2011
Excellent product in almost every way. It protects my 500 phone from destruction by a simple slip over a concrete floor.

1. The people who moan about activating their phones whilst in their pockets, obviously don't use a passcode. That sorts out that issue and unwanted Siri activations etc. I was aware of this 'issue' before ordering. I just tested it by holding down the home button - does nothing except bring up the passcode entry screen for a few seconds - not a big deal.
2. People moan about the camera flap, well there is a slot for the flap to click into. OK, it might be a little fiddly to open, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
3. People who moan about it looking chunky... that's the WHOLE POINT! You CANNOT have this level of protection without the rubber bulk. Besides, I actually like the macho look of the rugged design.

The only single downside to this product is what one other reviewer mentioned, and that is if you were unlucky to drop it face down on a really bumpy surface, like rocks or something, then a pointy rock could smash the screen. I considered this before buying, and will probably not use the phone in this kind of environment. I looked at the Seido Rugged which has a complete covering, but that looks like a hassle to open up. I just wonder if Griffin could produce a model with a simple flap to cover the whole screen. The flap could be made of metal to resist bending...

This minor criticism aside, I look forward to a secure and unbroken iPhone 4s.

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality writing, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
Extremely well written and in most places a great read, I found the middle section hard going because of the language 'morphology', and I wasn't very interested in the the plot of that particular story; the son of the narrator has some brief comments on what his father had said, but I thought it could have offered more; after all this character was the person furthest into the future in the novel, and the summation of the plots was leading to the end of civilisation. All the other stories I got on well with and found them easy reads, funny and/or interesting. I loved all the sideways cultural references including a Borges story I'd never heard of - thanks David Mitchell!

Overall I think the book's length does it no favours, and I think a major source of the 1-star reviews here. At times the plots meander considerably which is fine if you're being taken along with them, but otherwise I can see why a lot of people got bored. Personally I only felt this in the middle story. Without all these twists and turns the book would be more condensed and punchier. For influences I hear Pynchon and Borges. Pynchon was rather fond of longer works than Borges and it seems he won out here. Perhaps next time, give Borges' short style a go?

All that said this is terrific writing. Look forward to enough free time to read another.

Finally, any book which mentions Go and brings this fascinating game to wider consciousness in the West is golden.

Pillars of the Earth
Pillars of the Earth
Price: 4.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but highly readable, 21 Oct 2011
Yes it's a page turner. Yes it's a good story. Yes it's based on a very interesting historical period of English history. Yes, it is all that, but it is also untidy in its execution and for that it suffers badly. It is nearly 1100 pages long and without all the repetition and endless summarising and statement of obvious facts it could be 500 pages and be tightly written and a real slammer. As it is parts of it just drag on and the momentum drops. I never skim-read it, but I understood why people wanted to and did. The events and characters are frequently too contrived. It's as if the author is "in the way" of the story. Occasionally it flows naturally and unexpectedly, more so in the last 50 pages or so with Becket passages. There is some powerful imagery, but there is also a lot of unnecessary repetition of annoying phrases like 'his mouth watered', 'he thought bitterly' etc. I thought the sex scenes overdone. Events become predicatble once you know Follet's style. There seem to be too few characters with too many interactions between them, making for too many unlikely and improbable connections. I'm not a historian but certain thing struck me as odd, like children playing football. Really, how much do we know about this period of history to say some form of the game was not played, or that women always wore their hair up? Perhaps we don't know for sure, but nevertheless there is a touch of modernity about the speech, dress and habits of the citizens of Kingsbridge that seems to be out of place. I agree that some of the names grate, like Tom Builder (how about Mason instead?) and Peter Chisel. All this adds up to a highly flawed but highly readable and interesting novel; an odd combination!

The Welsh have a habit of talking a lot; I know this as my brother-in-law is Welsh and can talk the hind legs off a donkey. He once kept me as captive audience until 4am covering every subject that came into his head. Reading a work by Follet, who according to Wikipedia is Welsh, it seems, is like being locked in room with him for two weeks! He should really find the power of brevity, the soul of wit; as Blaise Pascal said:

Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte.
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2012 3:33 PM BST

Dewalt DW745  Heavy Duty Lightweight Table Saw(220V-240V)
Dewalt DW745 Heavy Duty Lightweight Table Saw(220V-240V)
Price: 430.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable saw for the price, 6 Sep 2011
Setup was a little difficult and helpline couldn't answer all my questions. Build and design quality is not perfect in places, e.g. I was unable to adjust the table insert exactly as described in the manual, i.e. flush with the table bed. The guy on the helpline was stumped too. Considered sending it back, but it seems to cut fine despite the insert being imperfect. Once, I was pushing some wood through and the wood caught on the table at the back of the insert cavity, i.e. because the insert was below the table. Only happened once or twice, but annoying and potentially dangerous? Perhaps it is possible to make better inserts? Noisy but I think that is the case with all these type of motors. Another gripe is that I have to use pliers to tighten the wing nut on the crown guard when refitting it, so that it is tight enough to not slip. Should be easier that that. Have not fine adjusted this saw with a setup guage, so cannot comment on how easy or even if this is possible. Overall happy with the cuts I have made, but have concerns about quality of the saw itself. I'm reasonably confident to say this is a solid construction-site tool, but it is not a piece of precision engineeeing for the cabinet maker. Perhaps that is unfair, since precision engineering table saws are at least as twice as expensive as this one and this is a portable saw. I will be using this until I can afford a full blown workshop model, and in the meantime I'm sure it will perform well, despite the niggles. Easy to move around, weighs about 20kg which is like moving a heavy suitcase around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3