Profile for Y. Hannon > Reviews

Content by Y. Hannon

Y. Hannon "YVH" (Hampshire, England)

A Scots Quair (Canongate Classics)
A Scots Quair (Canongate Classics)
Price: 5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Scots Quair - a beautiful story beautifully told, 20 Dec 2012
I was obliged to read this book for my Undergraduate Degree programme - but I'm so glad I came across it! The new reader will need to use the Glossary at the rear because the book is written in the "Scots" vernacular, but I ended the book at 2.30 a.m. sobbing my heart out because I was so hooked on the tale of the main character Chris (a young woman - or 'Quean' in the book) and her struggle to survive strife, loss, (brief) joy, highland crofting, husbands, etc. through the 1900s and beyond, but always with her land as something always to fall back on. If only Mr Grassic Gibbon was still alive - I'd sincerely would have liked to have met him to shake him warmly by the hand and congratulate him on this book.

Collins 2010/11 18 Month A5 Academic Week to View Diary - Black
Collins 2010/11 18 Month A5 Academic Week to View Diary - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness..., 8 Sep 2010
...for that, I'm pleased to have an 18-month academic diary instead of the usual 12 months! Open University courses don't all start and end in line with the "usual" academic year, and this allows me to record all my deadlines. Plus, the parcel and its contents came in good time and perfect condition.

The Confession of Katherine Howard
The Confession of Katherine Howard
by Suzannah Dunn
Price: 9.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 4 Aug 2010
I can sometimes be difficult to find a fresh writer to put on your 'favourite' list - but I have with Suzannah Dunn. I love this book so much I've now bought her earlier works: on Anne Boleyn (The Queen of Subtleties); Catherine Parr (The Sixth Wife); and Mary I (The Queen's Sorrow). For me, Suzannah is now right up there with Phillippa Gregory and Alison Weir. Although lots has been written about Katherine Howard, I can honestly couldn't put down 'The Confession'. The familiar story is told here with a renewed vigour, originality and suspense. A great book!

10 socket upright extension with surge protection
10 socket upright extension with surge protection
Offered by Justshopdirect
Price: 19.70

5.0 out of 5 stars 10-socket extension, 22 April 2010
I am very pleased with product: it arrived on schedule and tucks in very neatly in the corner of my computer room. Now I have no trailing leads everywhere plotting to trip me up! Sorted.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbright!, 22 April 2010
Wow! What an amazing product this is. I have installed it above the front door, and I'm so impressed I'm going to get another for my back door too. It's much, much brighter than I thought a solar-powered product could be, and does the job beautifully. It doesn't go off every time someone walks past (which would have been an irritation to me and to my neighbours) but if someone comes through the gate the welcome light has come on before my visitor has reached the front door. I was even pleased to see that the light comes on without the sky being completely dark - which is handy at this time of year, when twilight lasts that much longer than in the winter. It was also really easy to put up (even for a DIY-phobe like me!). This light certainly 'does what is says on the tin' - I've had it for approximately 4 months now, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sunset Song
Sunset Song
by Lewis Grassic Gibbon
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read...I dare you not to cry!, 8 Nov 2008
This review is from: Sunset Song (Paperback)
I'd never heard of this book before starting on a literature course, but I'm so glad I discovered it. Don't be put off by the 'product descripton' given above, or the Scottish vernacular which you'll encounter on every page, and certainly not by the 'literature' tag. It is above all the story of Chris Guthrie, a crofter's daughter, in the years before the First World War. As she grows from schoolgirl to womanhood, Chris makes the choice to give up her dream of teaching and farm the family croft after the death of her father. It's a beautiful, sad (yet ultimately life affirming) novel of hard work, hope, love, pain, politics, wonderfully realistic characters and incorrigible village gossip! Give it a go - you won't be sorry. I intend to read the rest of the trilogy - "A Scotch Quair" as soon as possible.