Profile for Ms. Deborah Bates > Reviews

Content by Ms. Deborah Bates

Ms. Deborah Bates "Are you awake?" (Winchester, Hampshire, ENGLAND)

Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody wants to be found..., 20 April 2006
This film is breathtakingly relevant and applicable to life's tiwst and turns. The moment I stepped out of the cinema back in 2004, I knew that I had seen the best film of my life.

The acting is simply sublime. Some say Bill Murray is past his prime, but this film completely trashes that idea; his sensitivity and obvious angst towards his wife thoroughly deepends the character, and his love for Scarlett Johnasson's character, Charlotte, is so subtle, yet engergised and strong.

Scarlett Johansson is not only a fresh and smooth actress, she is also aesthetically very beautiful; her beauty is not instantly obvious, but grows through the film which I think is very relevant to the character she protrays.

The film has a simplistic (some may say basic) plotline, however the subtleties of certain lines and scenes intensify and strengthen the plot.

I think the end scene, where Bob (Murray) runs to catch up with Charlotte as she strolls through the market is stunning. He whispers something in her ear (which was actually uncripted - to this day no-one knows what he said to her) and kisses her. It is the most beautiful scene I have ever seen in my life and always fills me full of hope for the future.

The soundtrack is also outstanding. Kevin Sheilds has proven himself to be a genius composer, and the music picked for the film is so fitting and right.

I absolutely love this film and watch it as much as I can. I would highly, highly reccommend it to anyone who wants to see their life through a whole new view point. A must.

Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince: Children's Edition (Harry Potter 6)
by J.K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 18 July 2005
Where to start? I was full of expectations for this book, some of which were not fulfilled, some of which were exceeded. All I can say is that the secrets revealed and the astonishing death at the end make for an extremely readable penultimate instalment in the Harry Potter chain! Without wanting to give too much away for those of you who haven't read it yet, this book certainly delves well into the dark side of Harry and his fellow characters, as well as offering several moments of light heartedness and fun as Harry struggles to come to grips with his overwhelming emotions for a certain young girl (and no, it's not Cho or Hermione!). On the whole, this book was a fantastic read, as they always are. The only fault I would give it is that as much as it is as equally riveting as Order of the Phoenix, it is not so much of a 'step up' in terms of quality as I had hoped it would be. That is, all the other books have seemed to get better and better as they evolved; this one seems to be of the same depth and quality of the last one. However, do not let this one thing put you off by any means! This is a wonderful book for people of any age to read, and should prove satisfying for die hard fans!

Labyrinth: Music From The Motion Picture
Labyrinth: Music From The Motion Picture

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly Fantastic, 6 Jun. 2005
This album really is a treat! The film is great in itself but being a lover of soundtracks I really wanted this one and I was very impressed! Personal favourites include the complete one off that is 'Within you' and the beautiful 'As the world falls down'...I also love the title track 'Underground' A must for any fans of the movie! Lovin it!

Labyrinth (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Labyrinth (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ David Bowie

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowie at his Best, 31 Oct. 2004
The Labyrinth, starring a young Jennifer Connolly and the amazing David Bowie, is a must see for any fantasy enthusiastists. Thw story follows Sarah (Connelly) as a bored teenager forced to stay in and babysit on a Saturday night. Fed up with her baby brother, she summons up the Goblin King to come and take him away. When she realises she has actually summoned him, she must fight against the clock to steal him back from the Goblin King, Jareth (Bowie), facing a long labyrinth and many mystical creatures along the way. I first saw the film for the first time in primary 7, and only just rediscovered it last year when i received a copy of the DVD for a birthday present. It is the most amazing film, with all the vital elemtns: good, well rounded main characters, a brilliant soundtrack, moments of light comedy, scarty bits and a happy ending! Where would we be without this film to cheer us up on a rainy day? Truly a must-see for children and adults of all ages. Buy it today!