Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (New England)

The Double Life of Veronique [Blu Ray] [1991] [Blu-ray]
The Double Life of Veronique [Blu Ray] [1991] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Irene Jacob

5.0 out of 5 stars Veronique is unique, 24 April 2010
Being a long time admirer of the work of Krzysztof Kieslowski I was very pleased to be able to get this Blu Ray version of Veronique. The film has always fascinated me and is truly representative of the gifts this man had in creativity and originality. I, as so many others no doubt, truly miss the work he might have done if he hadn't died at such a relatively early age. Who knows what another twenty years might have brought us. Irene Jacob was at the peak of her talents when this film was made and as with Red, from the Blue, White, Red trilogy, Kieslowski knew exactly how to elicit from her all her talents and showcase her beauty. I'm not going to go into a longwinded and faux 'intellectual' breakdown of the meaning and purpose of this film. For me it suffices to say it is a wonderful piece of work which should just be enjoyed for what it is. After dozens of viewings it remains fresh, interesting and entertaining. One highlight for me was the long note that Irene Jacob's character held at the end of a piece of music being sung by a chorus of which she is member. Long after the others have ended the note she just keeps holding it until she almost bursts with the joy of life and music. As she holds the note the beatific look on her face is a magic moment such as is rarely seen in any film I've ever viewed. With each new watching I fall in love with Irene Jacob-her screen persona-all over again.

The Blu Ray transfer is beautiful and exactly catches all the nuances of the film with ease. After a couple of minutes you stop thinking about the technical wonder of clarity and just become absorbed in the story and the characters. It doesn't get much better than this.