Profile for P. Morrison > Reviews

Brica Universal Stretch to Fit Car Sun Shade
Brica Universal Stretch to Fit Car Sun Shade
Offered by Times Boutique

1.0 out of 5 stars First Hint of Sun it Cracked beyond repair, 25 July 2012
We have had a couple of these sun shades for the last two months. For all bar the last four days of those two months it has rained incessantly. These last four days however the sun has shone and initially these came into their own. They are very flexible and capable of stretching to provide cover at the most awkward angles. However on consecutive days each cracked beyond repair (it seems likely because they have been sat in the sun). For most things I would accept culpability for leaving a product in the glare of the summer sun, my own fault when it fades, cracks or burns. But a sunshade? Sitting in the sun is just about the only thing it is supposed to do. Well these two didn't and I am now looking for alternatives.

Fables: Rose Red (Vol. 15)
Fables: Rose Red (Vol. 15)
by Bill Willingham

2.0 out of 5 stars Getting a bit long in the tooth, 15 Jun 2012
I absolutely love Fables. Until the Empire was defeated it was one of the most original and satisfying series I had ever read. But I have really struggled to get through it since then. I am on the cusp of giving up.

Grandville
Grandville
by Bryan Talbot

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, not his best, but very good, 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Grandville (Hardcover)
A violent conspiracy theory based in a society where Napolean defeated the British, before a rebellion led the UK to being declared an independent republic, in which almost all the characters are animals and the lead character is a brutal British badger detective.

What's not to love.

The conspiracy itself is a bit hackneyed, but I am assuming this is an entertainment rather than a serious barb cast at the war on terror so am not going to write any pompous critique of that.

I hear Talbot is planning to produce more volumes. I hope he does.

The Boys: The Name of the Game v. 1
The Boys: The Name of the Game v. 1
by Garth Ennis

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 5 April 2009
I bow to no one in my admiration for the Preacher.

This is just derivative and silly.

The Adventures Of Luther Arkwright
The Adventures Of Luther Arkwright
by Bryan Talbot

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryan Talbot amazes me. Everytime. And this time is no exception, 19 Nov 2008
I struggled with this book. For the first thirty pages i found it utterly confusing. The writing, the artwork, the layout. I couldn't get into it. But the observant amongst you will note that I have given it 5 stars. That is because beyond those first 30 pages I found myself totally caught up in the most amazing work of art.

The complexity of the structure, the fully imagined alternate realities he delivers and the sheer quality of the draftsmanship were irresistible.

I have now read all of Bryan Talbot's graphic novels and am only able to communicate in hyperbole - Bryan Talbot is one of the greatest novelists working in any genre in the UK today.

The Truth Commissioner
The Truth Commissioner
by David Park

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, but with qualifications, 12 April 2008
This review is from: The Truth Commissioner (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading this book. It is really well written, with believable characters and makes important and perceptive points about the human impact of the move from conflict to peace in Northern Ireland. So why only 3 stars?

In part it is that it just felt too short. Once I had got to know the protagonists there seemed to be a sudden rush towards the end of the book, with the slow satisfying development of character in the first half overtaken by an apparent rush to tie up the plot ends.

As a result it just has not lingered in my mind in the way I thought it would when I was reading it.

Romanitas: Volume 1: v. 1
Romanitas: Volume 1: v. 1
by Sophia McDougall

2.0 out of 5 stars What a good idea - shame about the execution, 26 Feb 2006
The author has had a fantastic idea - what would the world be like if the Roman empire still existed - and has sadly gone nowhere with it. For me it did not work either as a novel or a convincingly imagined alternative history.
The Rome she describes is not that much different to the world now- people drive cars, shoot guns and watch TV. When the empire fell it had reached a level of technological sophistication which in many cases was not replicated - let alone exceeded - until the industrial revolution over a milenium later. And yet the author has imagined that all those centuries of extra Roman ingenuity has resulted in scientific progress proceeding at pretty much the same rate. That just did not convince me.
This would not have mattered if the book had worked as a novel. Sadly I found it extremely uninvolving. A pretty straightforward thriller plot is drawn out to more than 500 pages (largely because the author describes the thoughts of almost every character in every scene).
The idea is so good that it really feels like a waste that this is the fruit of it - I spent the entire time I was reading the book wishing the author could have another crack at making something of her brilliant concept.