Profile for Ration Nations > Reviews

Content by Ration Nations

Ration Nations

Page: 1 | 2
The Collector (Vintage Classics)
The Collector (Vintage Classics)
by John Fowles

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this but..., 28 Jun. 2014
The Collector paints a great portrait of a disturbed obsessive who stalks and ultimately abducts the object of his desire. Fowles presents Frederick's point of view to chilling effect--he is creepy but human. (Contemporary news stories of similar situations give this story even more resonance.) I was slightly disappointed by Fowles' depiction of the victim. Perhaps she is simply trying to maintain her sanity in such an intolerable situation, but she seems to spend an unbelievable amount of energy on re-hashing a previous relationship with a pretentious older man, writing at length about it in a diary she keeps. I sometimes lost patience with these segments wondering if someone in such a situation would actually continue to care so much about such things or whether other priorities like winning her freedom might take over. Maybe she should have been willing to surrender her art for survival and been more astute in manipulating Frederick. At times I felt that Fowles wanted to remind the reader that this was not just another thriller, this was literature. However, such minor irritations did not ruin the book for me. There is much to mull over here in a well-written, claustrophobic and disturbing tale.

Orphan Train: A Novel
Orphan Train: A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Spirited, 28 Jun. 2014
Orphan Train interested me first from an historical point of view in that I knew about the so-called orphan trains in the late nineteenth century and found that whole practice of sending train loads of children out into the unknown for a "better life" to be a uniquely American thing to do. It made for a good premise. I was drawn into the novel from the beginning and enjoyed it very much. Both the main characters are people I liked and therefore cared about their stories, each harrowing in its own way. The other characters were also well drawn. The novel was touching without schmaltz, well paced, and genuine. I would give it four and a half stars if I could.

The Darkening Hour
The Darkening Hour
by Penny Hancock

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Darkening Hour (Paperback)
This book addresses a disturbing contemporary issue, domestic slavery, with a further twist. The characters are believable. The heroine is not perfect and the villain seems redeemable, at least early in the book. Without giving too much away, the plot becomes more involved and things happen against a backdrop of growing unease in a setting which enhances the increasing darkness of the story. Would recommend The Darkening Hour and will probably go on to read the author's other book(s).

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair

2.0 out of 5 stars Hyped, 28 Jun. 2014
I was enticed to buy this book after it was featured on the Simon Mayo book club on Radio 2 where it was highly praised. I feel let down. The writing was just "okay" but the clichéd characters, the Jewish mother, the cop for example, were unconvincing. Then, as the book progressed the plot went completely out of control with ever more unbelievable twists which became irritating. I finished the book with the growing sensation that I was wasting my time. In the end I left the book (hardback) behind in the holiday home where I had been staying. A disappointing experience.

Eyekepper Non Prescription Plastic Temple Double Color Stainless Steel Frame Cat Eye Vintage Style Womens Reading Glasses +1.25
Offered by Eyekepper

2.0 out of 5 stars Reading glasses, 3 Nov. 2013
These arrived on time, as promised, and do look like the picture. However, I simply don't like them. They are too big for reading glasses and instead just look like cheap spectacles.

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

4.0 out of 5 stars Crooked Letter, Crooked Story, 3 Nov. 2013
This book is Southern, evocative and dark; just what I was in the mood for. What starts as a standard detective/cop story turns into an in-depth tale of honestly portrayed characters. The reader feels for them. Filled with compassion and some unexpected twists, this is an enjoyable read which I would recommend.

Rules of Civility
Rules of Civility

4.0 out of 5 stars Play by Your Own Rules, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Rules of Civility (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story with its assortment of distinctive characters each chasing their own dreams. The setting, New York City, also played a starring role. The author clearly loves New York and the reader can't help but feel the same as the story travels from racetrack to penthouse. The female characters are strong and sassy, the type I can imagine Bette Davis playing in a film. I'd like to see more of these. I definitely recommend this book.

Modesty Blaise: Black Pearl
Modesty Blaise: Black Pearl
by Peter O'Donnell

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Read, 17 Oct. 2013
Pacy, tightly packed, escapist graphic novel. Reading Modesty Blaise makes me feel nostalgic for the days of the daily comic strip. The drawings are well suited to the action and allow the personalities and humour of the characters to come through. These graphic novels are a light change of pace providing suspense and secure resolution. Modesty was ahead of her time. A refreshing read.

The Cry
The Cry

4.0 out of 5 stars A Parenting Nightmare, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Cry (Kindle Edition)
This is a story which gets you interested from the start and then takes a few twists and turns along the way as more is revealed. A few little details about how the characters behaved were slightly far-fetched and, for me, got in the way a bit. (I won't be specific because I don't want to spoil the story.) However, it did not ruin the book; it was simply, on occasion, a bit of a stretch. The characters are drawn with subtlety and the story moves at a good pace. I can imagine my book club reading this book.

Lonely Planet Portuguese Phrasebook & Dictionary (Lonely Planet Phrasebook: Portuguese)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Travellers, 17 July 2013
I love the Lonely Plant books. This one fulfils all expectations with its easy reference points for common useful phrases and other practical advice to be used in less conventional situations, like dating and relationships, which were entertaining. The language of love may be universal but the Lonely Planet has the practicalities covered. Most intriguing for me was the phrase provided for "it's my first time." Imagine losing one's virginity to a lover so exotic that a phrase book would be required. That's some holiday! Great phrases for those intimate situations though I really only needed to know how to order a beer.

Page: 1 | 2