Profile for C. M. Cotton > Reviews

Content by C. M. Cotton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 58
Helpful Votes: 1913

C. M. Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
SK hynix HFS256G32MNB-2202A 2.5 inch 256GB Solid State Drive
SK hynix HFS256G32MNB-2202A 2.5 inch 256GB Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Upgrade for an Ultrabook., 19 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a wonderful Dell XPS Ultrabook with a 125GB SSD memory. I ordered this small SSD unit to use as an upgrade for my Ultrabook with the hope that it would make a fast laptop, even faster.

One of my worries when I bought the ultra lite, ultra portable laptop, was the size of the memory. I had also been warned that downloading documents, files, films, photo's etc and then deleting them, would somehow damage the SSD over time, as it does not get wiped in the same way as a normal Drive. To be honest I do not understand the technicalities of these arguments, but I knew I had quite a small memory for a laptop. When this item came up for review on the Vine programme I jumped at the chance of putting it into the laptop. Installation was easy and I have to say, having a new SSD has increased the speed of the computer, from start up to normal operations. So far the memory has been reliable and fast.

Overall this has been a easy to install and reliable Hard Drive which has made a 2 year old XPS Ultrabook even faster than it was. I am therefore happy to recommend it.

Philips GC8651/10 PerfectCare Aqua Pressurised Steam Generator, 2.5 Litre, 2400 Watt, 6.2 Bar
Offered by WebBasket

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 13 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well there are irons and then there is this iron. As another reviewer said, it is a work of art. It is very big and bulky and when full of water it is very heavy, but wow does it do a good job.

This iron creates more steam than any-other iron I have ever seen, its almost industrial. The actual output according to Philips is 6.2 bars. It simply glides through creases with incredible ease. It is also easy to fill, no small tiny hole, but one large one at the front of the base unit. This is also a very clever iron, as it produces so much steam, you do not need the plate temperature set so high, so you can set it for ironing say delicates and still use it to remove creases on a cotton shirt. There is no need to wait for the plate to cool down. This also means that when you have finished ironing, you do not need to wait for it to cool down to put it back on its base, simply unplug it and leave it on the base.

Overall this is an incredible product and whilst it is very expensive, it is simply brilliant. I am happy to highly recommend the product.

Creative Sound Blaster Roar Speaker: Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with aptX/AAC. 5 Drivers, Built-in Subwoofer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 9 Oct 2014
Creative gave me this product in return for an honest review.

I have been using a Bose Music Wave portable CD system for over 10 years now for presentations, playing music outside at parties and functions. With the active bass unit attached the sound is incredible for the size of the unit and it can fill a large room. I have tested a number of portable, bluetooth speaker system for both the Vine programme nad for private manufacturers. Some have been very good such as the Klipsch KMC 3 at £300 RRP and some very poor units priced around £50. The price for this speaker is as I write £129.00, which appears to be a price that pitches the product somewhere inbetween the bottom end range of speakers and the Klipsch. With the price in mind, I could begin and end this review by saying that the Creative Sound Blaster out performs, all its rivals, given its size and price and is one of the very best speakers I have ever listened to.

This product, which is simply a small speaker unit the size of a larger hardbound book, is simply stunning. It has 5 speakers inc a sub-woofer and 2 amplifiers. The sub-woofer gives a bass sound which is amazing for the size of the unit. It the same sort of surprise you get when you listen to a Bose speaker, you are looking for where the extraordinary depth of sound is coming from. The use of 2 amplifiers enhances the depth of sound in the low to mid range (which uses 1 amplifier) and the higher frequencies (which uses 1 amplifier). This unique amplification coupled with the way the speakers are arranged, which allows all direction sound, allows this unique speaker to deliver a sound that is simply stunning, given its size.......but it does not stop there. There is a small button on it called Roar. This button was designed to be used in loud environments as when you press it, the sound explodes and it increases the depth, loudness and room filling capabilities of this unit, without any distortion.....it is once again simply amazing, given its size. The music can also be enhanced by changing the settings via your computer, which is something Bose systems do not allow. In essence, if you do not like the factory set sound, you can change it.....yet another brilliant innovation compared with other manufacturers.

Connectivity could not be simpler. If you have a NFC device, simply tap it on the unit to connect. Other ways are via Bluetooth, which is very easy to enable, via a conventional audio lead (supplied) and by USB.

The unit also contains an SD card slot which allows you to directly feed music to the speakers. This portability is enhanced by the amazing rechargeable battery, which can last up to 6 hours.

I can find no downside to this incredible unit, if you buy it as a speaker for outdoor parties or a great computer speaker. It also makes an incredibly loud PA speaker and can easily be hooked up to a wireless microphone.

This is simply an amazing small speaker that packs one of the biggest punches in terms of sound reproduction, I have ever heard from a unit that is so small.

Highly recommended.

QuickBooks Online Essentials, 12-Month Subscription (Mac/PC)
QuickBooks Online Essentials, 12-Month Subscription (Mac/PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars What You Expect from QuickBooks, 9 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I now run several businesses in the UK. I use an accountant I have known for many years and have always been happy with their service. I have had very little need for such software, especially given the price of accounting software packages. I am not a computer whiz and sometimes find complicated Microsoft software packages difficult to use.

I received this software free of charge via the Amazon Vine programme. In truth I would not have bought such software, given my relationship with my accountant. I therefore used this opportunity to try the software without any risk or guilt. The difference with this product compared to the other QuickBook products I have tested in the past, it that it no longer gives you the full package on the disc. What you are buying is permission to use the software for a 12 month period. Personally I would never buy such a license. At £120, its too expensive for just a year, when you can buy the Pro version of this software and own it for years to come for £190. Personally and it is purely a personal opinion, I do not like these type of products that expire after a subscription.

It was simplicity itself to install. The software gives you a reasonable and easy to use accounting package. Whilst my area of business pertains to the service sector and does require the holding of stock, the software can easily handle business situations where stock control is necessary. It can easily track sales, expenses and profits and can create professional looking invoices using PDF's for emails. It can automatically calculate VAT and creates an Efile so you can send it directly to HMRC. It works with all Office programmes so there is great compatibility, so allowing greater ease of use. It also allows you to create budgets and cash flow projections. In short this software can handle virtually anything a small to medium sized business can throw at it. This version does not include payroll software which some other programmes give you, allowing you to calculate wages, NI, Tax for your employees.

To help use the package there are now numerous online video's showing you how to do things with the software, which makes using it, far easier, than reading the old help pages....as per programmes from days gone by.

Whilst I am a stick in the mud and like the reassurance that my accountant brings, this software is a good alternative. It is easy to use and does virtually everything you will require. A great product but as I said earlier I would opt for the normal disc system rather than the 12 month subscription product if I were to buy it.

Philips BT9280/33 Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer
Philips BT9280/33 Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but the Laser is a Gimmick, 9 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have found over the years Philips products fall into one of two categories, good quality and useful or look good but fail the quality test. This product defies these two definitions, as it is good quality, but the laser guidance system is not that useful. The idea behind this product is that the product can trim a beard evenly using the laser system, as it casts a line across the face, so that you can keep the cut level or the cut angle level the same across the face. So does it work? The beam is there, but I found it gets in the way of seeing the edge of the beard, so that it is more difficult to get it level, as you cannot see the edge...in essence the laser is rather counter productive. What is good is the quality of the trimmer, it is superb and feel great in the hand and the rechargeable battery lasts a long time.

If you buy this item purely for the laser guidance system, then you are in danger of wasting your money. If you want a good quality beard trimmer, then this is the perfect product, but my suggestion would be to look at the Whal range of products, as these are super quality and can cost a lot less than this item, but does the same thing, without the laser system. So to sum up, its a good product, but the laser system is near useless.

The not so good:
- The laser pointer: I don't get it, I found that it made it harder to see where the edge of my beard is because of the laser beam getting in the way so I can't see the edge
- When you pull off the trimmer guard (for trimming the actual bard, not the edges) I almost always yank off the cutting blade at the same time (even when trying not to).
- This is really minor but the design of the laser bugs me. When you have the trimmer guard on you can turn the laser on (although it doesn't shine through the guard) but it is impossible to turn it off again without removing the guard. I know what you are thinking "don't turn it on then" and I agree, it is just a bit clunky!
- For this price I would have liked a travel bag to keep the bits together both for in the bathroom cabinet but also for when travelling

Overall, an excellent product that seems really well made and has a quality feel about it - just not sold on the benefit of the laser guidance feature.

QuickBooks Pro 2015 (PC)
QuickBooks Pro 2015 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but Basic Package, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro 2015 (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I received this software free of charge via the Amazon Vine programme. In truth I would not have bought such software, given my relationship with my accountant. I therefore used this opportunity to try the software without any risk or guilt. As this is the second tine of using I am getting used to how the programme works and the ultimate ease of use.

It was simplicity itself to install. The software gives you a comprehensive and easy to use accounting package. Whilst my area of business pertains to the service sector and does require the holding of stock, the software can easily handle business situations where stock control is necessary. It can easily track sales, expenses and profits and can create professional looking invoices using PDF's for emails. It can automatically calculate VAT and creates an Efile so you can send it directly to HMRC. It works with all Office programmes so there is great compatibility, so allowing greater ease of use. It also allows you to create budgets and cash flow projections. In short this software can handle virtually anything a small to medium sized business can throw at it. This version does not include payroll software which some other programmes give you, allowing you to calculate wages, NI, Tax for your employees.

A final note on this particular package, there is a difference between Quickbooks Pro 2015 and Premier 2015 software. The Premier software contains additional Time Saving Tools such as, the ability to create budgets and cash flow forecasts, it allows you to create back orders and so automatically set stock aside for order fulfillment, track unbilled expenses and allow you to set different prices on the same item depending upon client or job. All of these time saving options work in the same intuitive way as the rest of the package.

Whilst I am a stick in the mud and like the reassurance that my accountant brings, this software is the next best thing. It is easy to use and does virtually everything you will require. A great product at a great price, compared to other accounting software packages.

Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibian Crocodile
Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibian Crocodile

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea, Poor Construction, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a boy I always wanted a remote control car. When I finally received one I spent hours playing with it, all it did was go foward or spin in a circle. A bit basic but a lot of fun. In theory this car would be any boys dream, a car that goes through water, mud and normal terrain. The problem with this product is that it is spoilt by several things.

Firstly the batteries are difficult to put in. You need a screwdriver to access the recessed screw. This would not be so bad, but the unit has no on/off switch. This means the only way to turn it off is to get the screwdriver and take the battery out. This is crazy.

Second, it does not come with batteries. This is poor but not a deal killer.

Thirdly, this is not a top quality product. The remote is quite poorly made and has no metal antenna, just a dangling wire. Everything feel flimsy and very plastic.

Once in operation and if you can ignore the faults, this is quite a good toy. It is fun to play with and I am sure, so long as it does not break, it will give hours of pleasure.

If you are happy to accept the shortcomings of this product, then it is quite a good toy and I can recommend it with caution.

Gro Hush Baby Calmer
Gro Hush Baby Calmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product is small and fits into the hand of an adult. The idea is to turn the white noise machine on, put the speaker to the baby's ear and the noise cancellation properties should help relax the child and send it off to sleep. There are 3 sounds to choose from, heart beat, rain and waves. The sound level is set at a low 75Db and there is a strap on the device, so as to attach it to your hand. It does not come with any batteries, Sounds good in theory, but does it work? So far we have to say it has helped, to a great extent. It certainly has a calming effect, but it has not had the "magic" effect of putting the baby to sleep. We will certainly keep trying the device and update as we progress. This is the only reason I refrained from giving it 5 stars.

Overall this is a well made item, that certainly has a calming effect. Recommended.

Karin Herzog Eye Cream 15 ml
Karin Herzog Eye Cream 15 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 20 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am always on the look out for products that will put me in the good books of Mrs C. When this came up on the Vine list I jumped at the chance of trying it. It comes in a very small tube, but unlike the Karin Herzog Mask product I reviewed earlier, you only need to apply a small amount to the eye area to make a big difference. It is very noticeable that after 2 applications the puffiness has diminished and her eyes look different.

Simply put, this is a product that works and works very quickly at reducing the puffiness around the eyes. I am therefore happy to recommend it.

Karin Herzog Essential Mask Hydrating Face Mask 50 ml
Karin Herzog Essential Mask Hydrating Face Mask 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Work but Expensive, 20 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mrs C sometimes suffers from problematic skin. She has tried many different creams and masks to help take away the blemishes that crop up from time to time. This face mask is not cheap, in fact for the size of the tube it could be considered very expensive, but does it work?

It comes with a brush, which you use to put a thick layer of creme onto the skin. After leaving it the appropriate time, you wash it off and in theory it should hydrate the skin, making it feel clean and supple. Certainly the product made my wife's skin glow with health, far more than it did before. It also helped cleanse the skin of blemishes. So yes it did help the skin but it also uses quite a lot of the product with each application.

Overall this is a great product which does cleanse the skin brilliantly, whilst leaving it hydrated and supple. It is expensive, but it also does work. I am happy to recommend it, to the less price consciousness consumer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20