Profile for C. M. Cotton > Reviews

Content by C. M. Cotton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 94

C. M. Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips Sonicare HX6511/44 EasyClean Sensitive Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips Sonicare HX6511/44 EasyClean Sensitive Rechargeable Toothbrush
Price: 45.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Sensitive Teeth, 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Oral B toothbrushes for the last 15 years. I have had two Triumph models and my current toothbrush is a TriZone Triumph, I bought for 35 on a Amazon Lightening Deal in December. An Oral B brush is a rather mechanical type of brush action, compared to the drill like sensation of a sonic type brush. I have tested both types for the Vine and am starting to come down on the side of sonic brushes for their superior cleaning ability.

The quality of this other Phillips toothbrushes I have tried has been exceptional. This is the least expensive Sonic brush they make and quite frankly it shows. This is quite a lightweight brush that felt very flimsy and made from what appears to be mediocre quality plastic. The brush has minimal technology included, but it is made for sensitive teeth. This means that when you start using the brush the vibration is quite low and over the space of the first two weeks it builds upto the maximum vibration speed of 31,000 strokes a minute and claesn twice as well as a manual brush. This is in stark contrast to the Phillips Diamond Clean brush that has the same 31,000 strokes but cleans 7 times better than a manual toothbrush. This difference is because this brush is aimed for the sensitive teeth market, and so focuses on less drill like sensation and so feels much less like a drill in your mouth.

I have so say, I prefer the quality, style, feel in mouth and quality of the clean of a Philips Sonicare diamond clean brush over this product. The Diamond Clean does its job very well, but may not be good if you have very sensitive teeth. Overall this is a good toothbrush at the bottom of the Phillips price scale, which cleans teeth for almost two weeks on one charge..

So how does the brush do in cleaning teeth? As already indicated I have been an Oral B fan for years. There is no doubt that an electric brush cleans better than a hand held one. As already stated the action of this brush is a bit less intrusive and so feels as if the mouth is not as clean as when using the Diamond Clean. This is the price you pay for buying a sensitive toothbrush. My mouth does feel cleaner overall but this brush takes some getting used to. This brush is good, but it is merely a growing personal preference for the better sonic action of the Phillips Diamond Clean that stops me from giving it 5 stars.

Overall this is a very good, reasonably well made brush. It does what it says on the box. I am happy to recommend this product, but prefer another Phillips Sonic brush over this one.

Panasonic Silver 5 Blade Wet/ Dry Foil Shaver
Panasonic Silver 5 Blade Wet/ Dry Foil Shaver
Offered by Southern Electric
Price: 192.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but on sensitive skin not too good....., 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have reviewed a number of shavers for the Vine programme, but never one so expensive. In the 1980's I used Philishave 3 head pivoting shaver, which were very expensive at the time. They never cut all the stubble from my sensitive skin without making it sore and red. This new product from Panasonic appeared to be my dream come true, a wet dry shaver, with pivoting head and 5 blades to take away the beard and hopefully leave my skin in some sort of non sore condition. Did it step up to the mark?

Firstly, this does appear to be a very well made item. It is heavy, it appears to be very well made and I think being Panasonic, it should last a great deal of time. It cuts far too close for my sensitive skin and quite frankly is useless without use of a lubricating gel. Why would I want to do this, unless I was wet shaving? It does not cut as close as a wet shave but very close for an electric shaver...so you have all the downside of skin irritation, without the upside of a very close wet shave. If comparing to other electric shavers, this is in fairness the best electric shaver I have had. It cuts very close compared to others and does a good job on the difficult neck hairs. My problem is sensitive skin and for that, this product causes too much irritation. The battery life is very good and lasted about two weeks, on one charge. Cleaning is easy and overall this is a super product, which looks and feels great.

Overall when comparing it to other electric shavers, this is just about the best shaver you can buy. If you have sensitive skin, you must use a shaving gel, to ease the irritation, which then leaves me with a question, why use this when a wet razer does a better job, with less irritation? Overall, if yoou have normal skin and want to electric shave, you will have great difficulty finding anything better than this super shaver.

Recommended.

Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Price: 50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for the price, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used to use Philashave electric shavers many years ago, but found wet shaving much better. My father has always used a Philips shaver and he gets years and years of service out of each one he buys. This product is quite well made and comes with an attachable head which allows stubble to form on the face. It can be used wet or dry and the blades do cut face hairs quite well. If you have sensitive skin, then this shaver may not be best for this type of skin. You have to press quite hard on the skin to get a perfect cut, which I found irritated my skin, even when using it in the shower.

With the design needs of being a 2 in 1 razer, it does not work for my sensitive skin, but should be OK for normal non skin types. Whilst I won't be giving up my wet shaver for this product, it is quite clever, reasonably well made and if you want a stubble attachment 2 in 1 shaver, is quite a good buy.

Colgate A1500 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Colgate A1500 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: 117.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not good enough, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Oral B toothbrushes for the last 15 years. I have had two Triumph models and my current toothbrush is a TriZone Triumph, I bought for 35 on a Amazon Lightening Deal in December. An Oral B brush is rather a mechanical type of brush action, compared to the drill like sensation of a sonic type brush. I have tested both types for the Vine and am starting to come down on the side of sonic brushes for their superior cleaning ability.

The quality of a Colgate Omron C600 brush which I tested for the Vine programme, was very disappointing. It was a lightweight, flimsy brush that felt very flimsy and low quality plastic. The 1500 brush uses the same white plastic, but due to the extra technology involved in this brush, it does feel heavier and more substantial. The technology senses the position of the brush head and then adjusts the speed and action of the head depending upon which tooth or gums you are brushing. To get the full benefit of this auto sense technology, you have to learn how to hold the brush, so as to change the speed and action. It is tricky to get the position right at first and it brushes at very high speed if you don't. There is also other speeds other than Auto, so you can choose the best action and speed that suits your needs.

I have so say, I prefer the quality, style, feel in mouth and quality of the clean of a Philips Sonicare diamond clean brush over this product. The Phillips simply has a less intrusive brush action and you don't have to fiddle to get the position right.

So how does the brush do in cleaning teeth? As already indicated I have been an Oral B fan for years. There is no doubt that an electric brush cleans better than a hand held one. As already stated the action of this brush is a bit "Industrial" as the head changes direction and vibrates at a very high frequency. My mouth does feel cleaner overall but this brush takes some getting used to. This brush is good, but it is merely a growing personal preference for the softer sonic action of the Phillips that stops me from giving it 5 stars.

Overall this is a very good, well made brush. It does what it says on the box. I am happy to recommend this product, but prefer the Phillips Sonic brush.

Braun Oral-B PRO 5000 CrossAction 5-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide
Price: 80.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but why change for this newer Oral B brush?, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The quality of an Oral B is very high and they seem to last about 4 years. I don't really see much difference between the older models and this new "CrossAction" brush. I feel that the idea is more marketing hype, than anything that offers a real difference over the older brush. The only real change over the brush I bought in December, is in the size of the charger, they have replaced the big charger base with the smaller one, they used a few years ago.

The electronic LCD guide is another gimmick, but as this brush does not have the LCD indicator panel on the actual brush, you need the separate LCD guide to know which cleaning action, the brush is set to.

So how does the brush do in cleaning teeth? As already indicated I have been an Oral B fan for years. There is no doubt that an electric brush cleans better than a hand held one. As already stated the action of this brush is a bit "Industrial" as the head rotates and is not a "light" as a sonic brush. Whilst both types clean well, I am beginning to prefer the sonic brushes, as my mouth does feel cleaner overall. This brush is good, but it is merely a growing personal preference for the softer sonic action.

Overall this is a very good, well made brush. It does what it says on the box. I am happy to recommend this product.

Philips Viva Collection HR1836/01 Compact Juicer in Brushed Aluminium
Philips Viva Collection HR1836/01 Compact Juicer in Brushed Aluminium
Price: 71.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Juicer, 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned many different makes of domestic juicer, from the expensive Magimix, Dualit, Breville, Phillips to a cheaper Kenwood juice fountain. All the juicers we have bought, have had faults with things we did not like. The previous Phillips was returned after 3 days of juicing after a part broke and it could not juice soft fruit. The Kenwood needed new filters every 3 months and became too expensive to own. The Magimix was simply hopeless in all departments and the most expensive. The Dualit motor broke down and a refund was given. I took a lot of time to choose the next juicer and had not bought one when Amazon offered this product to test.

This machine looks top quality and is built to a good standard. It juices virtually everything we have thrown at it with its 700W motor. The pulp is very dry and the pulp collection unit is very easy to dismantle during juicing so that you can do more juicing easily. The quality is equivalent to a medium priced machine, it is not top quality but neither does it feel as if its made from low quality plastic. Cleaning is easy BUT in no way can you clean this machine in the advertised 1 minute. Whilst there is no doubt it has been very well designed for cleaning it takes me about 4 to 5 minutes to clean. To ease cleaning put a plastic carrier bad=g in the pulp chamber and always rinse the cutting mesh filter under cold water before juicing, both of these things help in the clean up process. In essence this is almost a perfect juicer, as I have bought.

Buy this juicer with confidence, whilst its not the best with a 700W motor, there are faster ones on the market for this price and it takes longer than 1 minute for cleaning it is still a good juicer. Recommended.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Blades Refill (Pack of 4)
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Blades Refill (Pack of 4)
Price: 8.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but Not Good Enough, 25 July 2014
I have always used Gillette blades over the years. I thought I would try Wilkinson Sword as the blades were so much cheaper than Mach 3 blades. When shaving along the normal lines of the face, these blades are superior to Mach 3 blades in terms of lubrication and drag. They give a closer shave with less irritation. The problem comes from the fact that you cannot get close to the hair just underneath each nostril. The Mach 3's have a cutter on the reverse of the blade, so making it very easy to cut off these hairs, not so with Wilkinson blades. You end up with soft smooth skin, yet have little tufts of hair underneath your nose, a big drawback. I have tried holding the razer at different angles to cut these hairs, but to no avail.

Overall if they had a rear blade cutter, to enable small areas of hairs to be cut in the same way as a Mach 3, I wold give the blades 5 stars. As they do not have such a blade, I have to say they are good but they leave hairs in awkward to get to places. Good but could be better.

Durex Thin Feel Condoms - Pack of 24
Durex Thin Feel Condoms - Pack of 24
Price: 10.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality & Thin, 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is very little to say about these condoms that have not already been said. They are made by Durex so the quality is there. They are very thin, so that you do not loose too much sensation. Overall this is a great product and safe to use.

Ziganof Carving Knife - 8.5" - Professional Chefs 440 Range - Wooden handle Kitchen Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars is a great compromise between price and quality, 19 July 2014
I have used a number of cheap to very expensive Shun knives. Whilst nothing can come close too the Shun knife set I have, this knife, at its very low price, is a great compromise between price and quality. This is a nicely made knife, with a very sharp steel blade complemented with a nicely crafted wooden handle. The blade itself is very sharp and so far, cutting most things, it has made a very good job and it has stayed very sharp.

Overall this is an inexpensive knife, which looks well made and is very sharp. Recommend.

Ziganof Ceramic Kitchen Knife 6" (15cm) Very Sharp and stays sharp longer than forged metal knives - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price, 19 July 2014
I have used a number of cheap to the very expensive Shun brand of knives. Whilst nothing can come close to the Shun knife set for quality of sharpness, this knife at its very low price is a great compromise between price and quality. It is nicely made knife made from ceramic, with a plastic compound handle. The blade itself is very sharp and so far, cutting most things, it has made a very good job and it has stayed very sharp.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20