Profile for Robert James > Reviews

Content by Robert James

Robert James "Call me Rob" (Durham, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sixty Six Chances
Sixty Six Chances

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping tale, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sixty Six Chances (Kindle Edition)
A thoroughly enjoyable story and a very well-written book. As a Durham lad I enjoyed the local references and truly imagined it being set in Durham. A few twists in there too made it impossible to imagine the last page. I'm already looking forward to the follow-up.....

Duronic [Black] VC6 /B MAX 800W Bagless Upright Handheld [ A Class] Stick Vac 800W (MAX) Vacuum Cleaner - FREE brush Head & Crevice Tool - Convert from Upright to Hand Held in Seconds! - INCLUDES 2 Years Warranty
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 7 May 2013
I've recently bought this for my touring caravan as I wanted something light and easy to store. It's a superb vacuum which is easy to use once it's assembled and it has great suction for such a small device. It's far better than rechargeable vacuums that I've used in the past.

PowerGen 5200mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Charger 1A output for Apple iPhone 4s 4 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch, iPad 2 / HTC sensation, XE, XL, One X, Thunderbolt, Inspire 4G , EVO 3D 4G, Desire S Z HD / Samsung Galaxy S2 S 2 II ACE Mini, S Advance, Galaxy Nexus/ Nokia N9 N8 N900 N800 Lumia 800 900 710 610 / Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Arc, Arc S, Play, Neo pro, X8, Ray / Blackberry Bold Curve Torch 8520 9900 9300 9360 / NDS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 Oct. 2012
Having used extra batteries for my iPhone before, I was sceptical that these would be any good. I have to say that they are really very good indeed. I bought a second one as a gift and it was very well received. This will charge your phone up just short of twice and that is exactly what I was wanting. The LED torch is useful too. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending these to anyone1

BargainUniverse® Universal In Car Laptop Charger 80W -Top QualitY --Bargain Universe--

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 4 Sept. 2012
Despite the mixed reviews, the photos showed the correct plug for my laptop so I ordered one. I'm delighted to say it works fine and charges my Acer Aspire laptop from my car and caravan. No problems at all with this charger, it's great!

Payroll [1961] [VHS]
Payroll [1961] [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant movie, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Payroll [1961] [VHS] (VHS Tape)
As an avid north-east film fan, I bought this movie a few years ago out of interest. The storyline is catchy for a movie of this era but the images are the best bit. Newcastle & surrounding areas in 1960 looked brilliant, and the storyline ties all of the sights in very nicely. We see footage of Gateshead, Newcastle city centre and Manors/Shieldfield, the Felling bypass, Tynemouth and Wallsend amongst others. The characters are as one would expect of 1960, as we were just starting to lose the stiff upper lip and the Queen's English of the post-war years. The lack of Geordie accents is disappointing but again typical of the time. Local accent would have regionalised it too much for cinema audiences.

Not as gritty as Get Carter [1971] [DVD] but certainly a worthy predecessor.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2012 3:31 PM BST

Sony DSCHX7V Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera - Black (16.2MP, 10x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars A great camera but not perfect!, 19 Dec. 2011
I bought this camera 4 months ago to replace my old & bulky Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 - Digital camera - prosumer - 6.0 Mpix - optical zoom: 12 x - supported memory: MS Duo, MS PRO Duo and to complement my Sony DSCW320B Cyber-shot Digital Camera - Black (14.1 MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD.

1000 shots in, I'm delighted with the results of the photographs which, as expected with a Sony camera, are beautiful. I generally select the automatic settings and they always have good results, but you may wish to use manual settings. The battery life is drained by the difficult GPS function, which I'm slightly disappointed with. I seem to spend a lot of time wandering round with the camera held at arms length waiting for it to find the satellites, even though I update the satellite information regularly by connecting the camera to my pc! Apart from that, it's a superb camera and I enjoy using it. The Sony PMB software is also fun to use, as you can display all of your photos in a calendar fashion or on a map so you can can see when or where they were taken.

I would recommend a spare non-Sony battery and a decent case, which are all available online at a reasonable cost.

5 stars would be given where the GPS function to be improved.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2012 9:40 PM GMT

New Apple iPod Shuffle 2GB- Orange (discontinued by manufacturer)
New Apple iPod Shuffle 2GB- Orange (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by EXTREME DEALS

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb device, 17 Oct. 2011
I bought this to take to the gym, instead of taking my iPhone. It's much smaller than I expected but it works superbly. The clip holds it in place on my shorts and you wouldn't know it was there. A charge lasts for days, and it's easy to check the charge by either checking the colour of the power light, or by pressing the voiceover button.

I know a lot of people don't like iTunes, and it did take some getting used to, but it is a great piece of software. Don't be put off by it, as you will get used to it. As with most players, the supplied headphones are a bit poor but there are plenty of great sets on the market for around £20 such as JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones.

Sweex MP340 Stickz 2GB MP3 Player - Black
Sweex MP340 Stickz 2GB MP3 Player - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars A perfect MP3 player for music whilst you exercise *UPDATE* I've sent it back for a refund!, 16 July 2011
Having joined a gym and not wanting to take my iPhone in with me, I thought I'd buy a small & cheap MP3 player. For the price, this unit is absolutely fantastic!

It is easy to sync on your PC by either drag & drop or by using Windows Media Player sync. It charges whilst it is plugged in and states 1.6 hours charge for 4.5 hours playback.

The supplied earphones are cheap & cheerful but my in-ear JVC phones really produce a great sound from this little device. You can pick up a set of these for around a tenner.

The skip buttons work as another reviewer said; you do not skip to the next track in line, you skip to a random track. Likewise if you skip backwards, you hear a random track and not the one you've just listened to. This is perfect for me.

If you're looking for a little player with a clip on the back to wear whilst you exercise then you will be delighted with this.

**UPDATE** the player keeps getting stuck on certain tracks and will not skip past them so it's going back to Amazon. I'm about to see what else there is that has better reviews
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2012 7:07 PM BST

Sony DSCW320B Cyber-shot Digital Camera  - Black (14.1 MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars A great pocket camera, 12 Sept. 2010
Completely on a whim, I decided to buy this camera at the airport en route to Spain for my holidays to complement my larger, more bulky Sony DSC-H2.

As expected from a Sony product, it is absolutely fantastic. It is ideally sized to slip into your pocket without being too bulky but still has the capability to take sharp and colourful photos. I charged it on the first day, and even after a week and 150 photos the battery was still showing full charge. On downloading the photos to my PC today, I am delighted to say they are crisp and clear with beautiful colours.

The smile sensor is fun to experiment with as it automatically takes pictures when it detects a smiling face, but I'm not sure how essential it is in everyday use.

On the down side, you will have to buy a separate case and memory card, but it still makes for a cheap and convenient camera for all occasions.

The Complete One Foot in the Grave - Series 1-6 Plus Christmas Specials [DVD]
The Complete One Foot in the Grave - Series 1-6 Plus Christmas Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Wilson
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars In the name of all that's holy....., 22 Feb. 2008
Victor Meldrew, a fantastic comic creation of the brilliance that is David Renwick, will live on forever.

An epitome of a moaning old fella, he is hugely understood. Of course he has the right to complain when people dump their rubbish on his neighbour's lawn, or when someone dumps an old Citroen 2CV in a skip he hires, but most of the situations in this series are ENTIRELY believeable! Poor old Victor, an irony in the name itself, always believes he is right to complain about life's bitter pills, and I believe he is!

Since buying this DVD set, I've watched it 3 or 4 times now. I don't tire at the jokes about the frozen cat, or Mrs Warboys being rolled down a hill and mounted by a dog or Victor's Honda being stolen and returned with the plants still growing on the back seat. Patrick (Angus Deayton - Have I got news for you) and Pippa (Janine Duvitski - Abigails Party) are a perfect comic foil to Victor and Margaret along with mummy's boy Mr Swainey (Owen Brenman). The Meldrew's friend Mrs Warboys (Doreen Mantle - Jam and Jerusalem) is possibly the most thick-skinned person around, but is entirely loveable by her naivety!

The series begins by Victor being dismissed by Suzie Blake, who later played Bev Unwin in Corrie, and follows him through his adjustments into pensionable age. The odd cameo by actors such as Stephen Lewis (Inspector Blake - On The Buses) makes it all worthwhile.

The hour-long specials are worth mentioning too. One foot in the Algarve is probably the darkest of them all, and a true insight in to the mind of the writer. Beautiful scenery, Peter Cook and a brilliant storyline make this unmissable.

The unmentioned heroine is, of course, Margaret (Annette Crosbie). As his everloving wife, she plays the role amazingly, lovingly and humourously. In the face of life's daily events, she always comes out on top.

Enough of my ramblings. Victor excels Hyancinth Bucket and his contemporaries of the early 90's due to the on-the-ball scripting and acting. There'll be times you'll know what's coming and times you won't have a clue but you'll laugh all the way through. I don't believe it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2014 11:19 AM BST