Profile for Pesto Fingeration > Reviews

Content by Pesto Fingeration

Pesto Fingeration (Chez Vegas, Englandland)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
You
You
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Me?, 6 April 2013
This review is from: You (Audio CD)
Do you like Pot?
Do you like Head?
Do you like Pixies?

If so you have this already.

The best of the Radio Gnome trilogy I'm sure that if the Goons had been born ten tears later they'd have been making the music of Gong. There's a great glob of Goonish Hippy Dippyness running all the way through this. You just have to listen and smile.

Highlights?

Masterbuilder -so much can be built on that.
Isle of Everywhere - blistering work from Hillage
You never Blow Your Trip Forever - You certainly don't

So, that's all the long tracks then.

BUY! It's essential. Or, take a spliff and gatecrash a Hippie party.

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
Offered by books-store

3.0 out of 5 stars Steven Wilson the Bloke Who Can't Sing, 6 April 2013
OK, that may be a bit harsh, but there's a great degree of fairness there too. He has quite a flat and whiny voice, luckily it isn't used too much.

Now I'm not a great fan - make that not of all - of Porcupine Tree, but I do like his production work and intrigued by the track - Luminol - on a Prog Magazine Freebie CD I decided to invest in this, his latest oeuvre. So, what to make of it?

Well, it's full on PROG! Hoorah!
But, that's not very progressive is it? Boo!

It has real Mellotron! Hoorah!
But I'm sure some of it isn't. Boo!

Renowned Bassist/Chapman Stick player Nick Beggs is on it. Hoorah!
But he was in Kajagoogoo. Boo!

So I do like Luminol in all its trad Prog Trope messiness and I like Holy Drinker too. Hoorah!
But the title track is too much of an Anathema rip-off to me. Boo!

So, do you Buy? It's up to you really. make up your own mind.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2013 11:40 PM BST

Strikes
Strikes
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably NOT The best Southern album ever., 6 April 2013
This review is from: Strikes (Audio CD)
But the first thing that strikes you is that it is a damn good HARD ROCK album.
If Free had come from Florida you could have got Blackfoot. That's about it. Good driving music. Not a patch on Marauder though, that was and indeed still is CLASS.

BUY! - With reservations if you want SUVVERN.

Hemispheres
Hemispheres

5.0 out of 5 stars Wholly Balls?, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Hemispheres (Audio CD)
So, album number six for the Canuck Chuckle Brothers. What will happen?
If you can remember A Farewell to Kings you may recall that Cygnus X-1 was flagged up "to be continued..." Well it was, but instead of really finding out what happens when you fly through a Black Hole we instead encounter a load of cod-Greek mumbo-jumbo, but who cares? It's all about the music man!
And boy is this ever about the music, quite frankly it's full on OVER THE TOP BOMBASTIC METAL MADNESS. Now I dabble a bit on the bass guitar and even though I only hit about one note in ten, the grin on my face following Cygnus X-1 Book 2 is something to behold. Truly life affirming.
Over on side 2 - yes I still think in vinyl terms - and it's straight into Circumstances and if only Rush had held to this and kept the same even though things kept changing, we'd have been spared thirty years of guff.
Now, on to The Trees, even my old muvva used to like the intro before the MIGHTY METAL MAELSTROM kicked in. Go Oaks! Whup those Maple's donkeys!
And then, and then, Buenos Nochas mein Froinds and welcome to La Villa Strangiato, now the tin says "An Exercise in Self Indulgence" and yup it's well and truly Ronsealed. An exercise in Awesomeness.

So, if you don't have it already FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE WHY???????? BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! Even if you have it already BUY IT! Give it to friends, spread the good news!

A Farewell To Kings
A Farewell To Kings

5.0 out of 5 stars A Big Hello to the Kings!, 6 April 2013
This review is from: A Farewell To Kings (Audio CD)
So, following the end of the first Rush Chapter the second one begins with what must surely rank as one of the finest albums of all time, even if it was produced in Wales...

Now Rush had already raised the HEAVY METAL bar to new heights but here it was like a High Jumper competing in a Pole Vault competition. Not too shabby for a band featuring a Tractor parts salesman.

Kicking off with the Mediaeval malarkey of the title track, we are truly in the presence of Genius. We are not worthy. Please resurrect it for your live shows.
Next we're off arm in arm through the mountain meadows with Samuel Taylor Coleridge to the legend of Xanadu. I'm so glad that Broon was there cracking the production whip because this is just perfection. You could finish the album there for me, OK it would be shorter even than Reign in Blood but it would be enough.

Flip over your Licorice Pizza and get Closer to the Heart. Lots of people poo-pooh this for its concert ubiquity, but I love it, I'd love it more if it was played properly live.
Cinderella Man is a lively little number and Madrigal a nice thoughtful pause before the album finishes with the BLUDGEONING SCI-FI METAL MASTERPIECE that is Cygnus X-1 and what's this? To be continued... Interesting.

All in all BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rush - All The World's A Stage
Rush - All The World's A Stage
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars If all the World's a Stage, how does Snagglepuss Exit?, 6 April 2013
Once upon a time in a land far, far away, Rush live albums were akin to punctuation. A full stop at the end of a paragraph if you will. These days Rush albums are like busses, you wait for ages and three turn up at once.

All the World's a Stage was the first punctuation of the Rush story, coming at the end of a sublime run of albums wherein our Canuck chums had raised the HEAVY METAL bar to new heights. Recorded at Toronto's Massey Hall, this is probably the best live album ever, as I understand it it is exceptionally live by live album standards - no Unleashed in the Studio here. It's also liver than Rush would ever dare be nowadays, oh away with you thrice-cursed samples.

Rammed full of the classics from the first for albums, the only thing that is really missed is Beneath, Between and Behind, but who can quibble with the Bombastic Bludgeon of Bastille Day? The Anthemicness of er Anthem? Who can fail to be thrilled by hearing "We'd like to do for you side 1 of our latest album, this is 2112"? Man oh man, this is just Live, Loud and ROCK!!!!!!!!

Heartily recommended. Buy with utmost confidence.

Drama [Expanded & Remastered]
Drama [Expanded & Remastered]

4.0 out of 5 stars Amateur Dramatics, 6 April 2013
Back in the day I avoided this. Like the Plague.
Just goes to show how youth is wasted on the young, this is much better than it could have been, Mind Bugglingly better.
I am now the Machine Messiah.

Buy as a worthy addition to a Yes collection.

Crime Of The Century
Crime Of The Century

4.0 out of 5 stars The benefits of ASBOs, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Crime Of The Century (Audio CD)
I'm getting old.
I bought a Supertramp album.
I enjoyed it.
I've started wearing slippers.

This is well crafted Prog/Pop.

Wait until you get old and BUY!

The Call Of The Wretched Seas
The Call Of The Wretched Seas
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Thar She Blows!!!!!!, 6 April 2013
Well, this doesn't blow, or Suck.
Thinks should I use "Suck" in close proximity to (Moby) "Dick"?

It's just relentlessly pure True Nautik Funeral Doom. Doing exactly what it says on the tin whilst giving us a Whale of a concept album. The slow, and I mean s l o w pace of the music fits the theme perfectly.

Buy for the William Scoresby in your life.

Bellowing Sea: Racked By Tempest
Bellowing Sea: Racked By Tempest

3.0 out of 5 stars Black Mellotron Metal, 6 April 2013
Do you like Black Metal?
Do you like Mellotrons?

If so then this is for you!

Can't say as I'm the biggest fan of Black Metal the vocal style and blast beats are well, a bit silly. But, the more I listen to this, the more I enjoy it, because it is stuffed full of Mellotron maybe not the Black Metal instrument of choice but it works here, the more I listen the more 'tron I hear and it's juxtaposition with the Black Metal works, sort of.
Oh and can I just say I don't know what colour Mellotron was used.

So, like a Skinhead with four brindled Staffies approach with caution.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20