Profile for B. Jenkins > Reviews

Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac
Offered by Best Buy Direct UK
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 4 Feb 2013
Although I do 90% of my day to day jobs on my Mac, I use Parallels to run Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2012 and SQL Server Express to do software development for Windows.

This works great and has allowed me to sell my last Windows PC. The only problem with it is that some keyboard shortcuts don't translate between Mac and Windows, e.g. CTRL-ALT-LT/RT key, etc. Still well worth the money though!

Dune
Dune
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the film..., 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dune (Kindle Edition)
...and I loved the film. Lots more detail, although still very fast paced. Been waiting a long time to read this and not let down.

GameOn HDMI 2m Cable - Black (Xbox 360/PS3)
GameOn HDMI 2m Cable - Black (Xbox 360/PS3)
Offered by Mayflower Stores
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with my XBox 360, 18 Dec 2012
Works perfectly with my XBox 360, would recommend this instead of some of the more expensive versions on sale here.

Sage Instant Financial Package v15 (PC CD)
Sage Instant Financial Package v15 (PC CD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Officially Incompatible with Windows 7, Bug Ridden, Awful Support, 11 Aug 2010
I run a small business and with Microsoft pulling the plug on Office Accounting, we had to change our accounting software. As our accountants (and we assume most accountants) use Sage, we opted to join the club.

Microsoft Accounting worked out of the box without bugs or any major issues. We cannot say the same for Sage - we get regular crashes, especially during bank account reconiliation, the supplied PDF print software doesn't work so it won't generate any PDF's (we had to download a free third party PDF print driver as this functionality is critical to us), and getting it integrated with Sage Payroll was a nightmare.

On top of this, the support provided is almost non-existent. We've now been told by Sage that this product has "known issues" with Windows 7 - when we complained we were pretty much laughed at.

I acually run a company that develops bespoke software for other companies in the UK (and all of our products are compatible with Windows 7). If we treated our clients this way or wrote such poor quality software we would soon be out of business.

Completely disgusted and will never buy another Sage product again!

Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 26.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set of films, was surprised by the 3rd one, 12 Jan 2010
I'd really enjoyed the first Pirates film (although Orlando Bloom's acting is pretty wooden throughout), so was interested to see the two sequels.

I found both 2 and 3 enjoyable, although the third film does seem to have too many storylines going on at the same time, and becomes a bit overwhelming (especially with the length of the film).

One thing I will say is that the amount of time it takes to actually get to the films on these disks, through all the Disney advertising and menus, is a bit extreme. I find myself just sitting there having to skip chapter after chapter after chapter when all I want to do is watch the film (and I'll have to do this every time in the future).

I know Blu-Ray is a pretty new format, but it seems like some production companies are just getting too carried away with marketing.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Wordsworth Classics)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Wordsworth Classics)
by Jules Verne
Price: 1.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much techincal detail, not enough story - typical Verne!, 6 Jan 2010
This is the second Jules Verne book that I have read, and it follows much in the same vein as 20,000 leagues under the sea. Once again, what should have been an interesting adventure story is turned into a slow moving, overly technical durge with the storyline taking second place to Verne's attempt to prove himself "intellectual".

To show what I mean, here is an extract from the book:

"By midday there was a change in the appearance of this wall of the gallery. I noticed by a diminution of the amount of light reflected from the sides; solid rock was appearing in the place of the lava coating. The mass was composed of inclined and sometimes vertical strata. We were passing through rocks of the transitional or silvurian system."

Worst of all, many of Verne's "facts" are wrong, as the multiple footnotes throughout the book point out, e.g. "The immense mammoth cave in Kentucky is of gigantic proportions, since its vaulted roof rises five hundred feet..."; footnote: "one hundred and twenty".

You can't connect with the characters in the story; there's the moody crackpot uncle, the weakly whinging nephew, and an Icelander who isn't really into rocks so has little to say throughout the story.

This book fails on all levels, as it's neither educational nor entertaining. It might look good on a bookshelf, but that's about it. My recommendation is to go for something by H.G. Wells instead - I have enjoyed many of his stories already.