Profile for bucksman > Reviews

Content by bucksman

bucksman "always reading" (BUCKS, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
BMW 5 Series Service Manual 1997-2002 (E39): 525i, 528i, 540i, Sedan, Sport Wagon (BMW 5 Series (E39))
by Robert Bentley

5.0 out of 5 stars money well spent - great books, 8 April 2015
There isn’t a Haynes manual for my E39 M5, so I needed the closest thing to it. That is a manual for a 540i. The only people who do these are Bentley. I got hold of a second hand copy of Volume 1, which is the mechanical part of the car, but it kept referring to electrical layouts and issues in Volume 2.
I bit the bullet and bought both Volume 1 and Volume 2, brand new. money well spent - never regretted it once. Makes a Haynes manual seem a bit weak.

Bolle PILOPSI Pilot Safety Goggle
Bolle PILOPSI Pilot Safety Goggle

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality goods, 8 April 2015
Money well spent
None of us like spending our own money on PPE gear, but when it involves your eyes, and equipment as good as this – it’s no brainer. Contemplating another pair.

SORA Big Display Case for 1/32 Slot-Cars with transparent back-panel
SORA Big Display Case for 1/32 Slot-Cars with transparent back-panel
Offered by Sora Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice change from wooden display cases, 8 April 2015
I looked for ages for a display case that DIDN’T look like a wooden cabinet, would keep the dust off, (so a door/front cover required) and didn’t cost an absolute fortune. I bought 2 of these.
They were delivered quickly, and it took me ages to get round to building them. They go together quickly, and once assembled are rigid enough for what they do. I wouldn’t have these cases in a room where small children were about.

Duragadget Windscreen Suction Mount for all Tomtom One GPS Satnavs - HOLDS UP TO 7 KG IN WEIGHT
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, 8 April 2015
After reading the reviews on the site, I went ahead and bought one of these. The previous TomTom mount was left on my car by mistake when it was written off. After a few weeks of not needing to use the TomTom, I definitely needed it for a long journey.
I think I may have a different version of the mount than the other reviewers. The plastic on the suction mount is incredibly rigid, and completely fails to hold itself on the windscreen, never mind holding a TomTom on as well. The windscreen was cleaned meticulously, and the operation repeated - FAIL – suction mount cleaned meticulously – FAIL - adjusting things left right and centre – FAIL.
Pushing the lever that pushes the mount onto the windscreen in an attempt to make it stick has now overstressed the plastic lever in some internal corners, as witnessed by the white marks on the radii. This component is not far away from failing completely.
IMHO – total rubbish.

The Quick Guide to Taking in a Lodger
The Quick Guide to Taking in a Lodger
by Tessa Shepperson

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful book for landlords, 1 July 2014
In these cash strapped times, a good idea for making a few extra quid from a spare room is to have a lodger. Advertising is easy enough with the internet everywhere. Hint – pay for the premium advertising on the sites- it works…

I bought this after a few lodgers had stayed in my house, some of which I would rather hadn’t. I did wonder what happens if it really goes wrong for you, where you stand. How quickly can you get them out etc…?
I wish I would have bought this book before I started with lodgers and not about 2/3rds of my way through.
Lots of good advice on setting out your do’s and don’ts, where you stand legally, writing up a contract. There is a lot more to consider than you would have thought.
The best advice I can give about whether you should take in a lodger is – do you like them as a person? Trust your gut instinct.
Men - Don’t be swayed by the size of your potential lodger’s cleavage.

Einszett Gummi Pflege Rubber Care Stick 100ml - Rubber Treatment - Roll On
Einszett Gummi Pflege Rubber Care Stick 100ml - Rubber Treatment - Roll On

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff, 1 July 2014
Just rub it on what seems like tired old rubber, leave it a day or 2, and hey presto , it works very well indeed.

Laser 4787 Rear Suspension Ball Joint Bush Tool for BMW
Laser 4787 Rear Suspension Ball Joint Bush Tool for BMW

5.0 out of 5 stars the tool for the job, 1 July 2014
I bought this for the task in hand, changing rear lower ball joints on the car.
The job itself took about 6 hours, but the actual time taken to get the ball joints out with this was about 10 minutes a side.
Expensive tool, but worth it.

Popular Mechanics 101 Things That Go Fast
Popular Mechanics 101 Things That Go Fast
by The Editors of Popular Mechanics

3.0 out of 5 stars an amusing read, 1 July 2014
A good read that reminded me of the books given to me in years gone by, with me thinking, that would fun to build and sometimes actually building them …etc… hence I became a mechanical engineer.
Would you be daft enough to copy these things and build them? - I sincerely hope not. The items with engines on are death traps!
The reason why people, go out and buy things that go fast, is because someone has (hopefully) spent a great deal of time making sure it’s safe and it works.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1inch Tablet - Silver (16GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1inch Tablet - Silver (16GB, WiFi, Android 4.0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Mine has overstayed its welcome, 12 Mar. 2014
I have now had this device for 9 months, and after my HTC Desire phone I decided to stay with Android.

Good things
It sort-of functions well and plays video impressively.
There are loads of applications on the Android market.
It is useful to read emails as soon as they arrive.

Bad things
I can honestly say it is seriously over- hyped for what it actually does competently. I fell for the hype also and convinced myself I needed the technology.
It’s too big for being considered mobile, it needs a special case to stop it getting damaged, a charger, a Wi-Fi link… etc… etc… you might as well get a small notebook/laptop, or the 7” version.
I have an android phone; I can read emails on that.
As it is quite large - The tablet stays at home next to the sofa, like my laptop did……
You can get an in car holder that needs supporting by twin suckers- (a most appropriate word...) to use the satnav functionality, but it’s enormous. I also note that you don’t see anyone using them…..

Typing takes ages and it’s certainly a great deal less accurate than using a keyboard.
If the tablet dies because it hasn’t been plugged in for about 10 days, then it can take a few hours before it will boot up again. Read the online reviews about Samsung tablet battery problems. My laptop - if dead - gets power and starts within 2 minutes.
The sound from the machine is dreadful - it’s nowhere near as good as my friend’s I-Pad.

However, it is difficult to judge the machine on its own merits when the only thing that brings it alive are the apps.

There are some useful apps, but 90% of them are basically rubbish, and I seriously doubt if they have been tested and critiqued in any meaningful way. I don’t have a high opinion of low cost software in general and all this Android nonsense does - is reinforce it.
I am not convinced by some of the app reviews on the heavily sponsored pages. I would strongly recommend googling every single app and read the honest reviews before you download it.
As an aside, insidious marketing pop ups are beginning to appear on my new Android phone (HTC One), and if it continues I’ll be dropping Android and going Apple.
I can just about tether the tablet to my mobile phone, but then you need a really good mobile phone deal with unlimited data to make it worthwhile. The only one I could find, Virgin Media, was so slow; it was seriously limited data, as everything took aeons to download.

I suppose the key question for gadgets like this is, if you lost it, would you go out and replace it immediately, or buy something else/better with the insurance money? Mine is going on eBay….

But if you are a sort of must-have gadget person, then buy it anyway.

Introduction to the Design and Behavior of Bolted Joints, Fourth Edition: Non-Gasketed Joints: v. 1 (Mechanical Engineering)
by John H. Bickford

4.0 out of 5 stars Engineer's compulsory reading, 17 Jan. 2014
One of the few books that I consider compulsory for anyone in engineering. We all use nuts and bolts somewhere in our design, and this book helps explain how they work. All the previous engineers that I have met who work with serious bolting (like M100 and above) quoted this book again and again. I am just saving up for the gasket-ed publication now.
I haven't given it 5 stars as there are still some parts of the subject matter missing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3