Profile for ANNE (PRESTON LANCS) > Reviews

Content by ANNE (PRESTON ...

ANNE (PRESTON LANCS)

Page: 1 | 2
Vanished Dwellings: Early Industrial Housing in a Lancashire Cotton Town, Preston
by N.J. Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars So interesting, 3 July 2013
Purchased this book for family history purposes unaware it concentrated on an area of Preston where my grandparents raised a family of 6 children. I know all the areas it covers, the rows of terrace houses in and around the Plungington area, I know and recognise many of the photographs sum of which are the street my grandparents lived on. It has brought back for me so many childhood memories. I have learned so much from it. This book will be kept safe and sound for future generations of my family who will very easily see and read were we came from. A big thank you to the author

18 x Sweetmelt Spooky Halloween Eyes - Edible Cake Decorations
18 x Sweetmelt Spooky Halloween Eyes - Edible Cake Decorations

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly scary, 3 July 2013
Wow how realistic are these yes, Used them on my halloween cupcakes. They looked so spooky when put in a box, as though they were looking at you. Children loved them. Made of really nice white chocolate unlike other similar products. Will definately be ordering again for this year.
Well packaged, non broken in transit, very quick delivery.
Highly recommended

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 3 July 2013
Must admit I was very sceptical about this product. But I went ahead and followed the instructions which were so simple. Within 3 weeks I noticed I had flowers on my tomatoe plants a week later small tomatoes were emerging. I can`t believe the difference these pots have made. There are so many tomatoes on each truss. I have never had this sort of result before. I also notice that the plants are so much healthier. Watering and feeding has never been easier. My only regret is that I`m only trying tomatoes this year next year it will be cucumber,pepper, melon and tomatoes. I`ve even seen beans grown with these pots and they were amazing.
I`m so pleased with them I`ve just ordered another 2 sets ready for next year.
Pots were well packaged and recieved much earlier than expected
Can`t recommend these pots enough they are 1 of the best things I`ve ever bought for my greenhouse. Worth their weight in gold, honestly.
I don`t know why I haven`t used them before.

Birkmann Christmas Tree Cake Pan
Birkmann Christmas Tree Cake Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST CHRISTMAS TREE MOULD I`VE EVER USED, 21 Sep 2012
What an amazing cake mould this is. Its the most amazingly detailed christmas tree mould ever. Beautifully made, no sharp edges, extremely good quality, so simple to split in 2, is very sturdy when filled with cake mix, very easy to grease and so easy to clean. My first tree was brilliant it actually slid out the mould before I had the chance to release the 2 pins that hold it together so 10 out of 10 straight away. I did try the maderia recipe that came with the mould but sadly I didn`t like it, although the quantity of ingredients suggested was just perfect for this mould. Next time I`m using my own 6oz mix recipe that I use for my cake pops. I did however place the mould on a baking sheet just in case and I`m glad I did as I`d over greased the tin (MY FAULT NOT THE MOULD). A tiny amount of the cake mix had seeped out but again that was me over greasing, next time I`ll do it lightly. I started the tree off at gas 4 but I found this too high so reduced it to gas 2, this was so much better because of the depth and shape of the mould. It took about an hour and a quarter to bake and it was perfect. I let it cool down and then took it out of the mould. Its a beautiful tree and stands roughly 8" high. You dont even need to decorate it, all I`ve done is tilt it and gently sieve icing sugar all over. It looks fantastic. I then changed my mind on decorating it and made up a tiny amount of icing and stuck tiny chocolate beans on as coloured baubles in pink, blue, yellow and green and then a little more sieved icing sugar - it looks brilliant.
This is one of the best cake moulds I`ve ever purchased, I notice Birkmann also have a snowman mould which I think will also be heading my way very soon.
Beautifully presented in a lovely box would make a great gift for any cake mad person
Can`t recommend enough
Happy baking Anne

Thermos Glass Lined Stainless Steel Push Button Pump Pot 1.9L
Thermos Glass Lined Stainless Steel Push Button Pump Pot 1.9L
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST THE JOB - PERFECT, 24 Jun 2012
Flask arrived well ahead of schedule, very well packaged in 2 boxes. No damage whatsoever.
Bought this flask as I spend a lot of time in my greenhouse/garden. I often take a mug of tea with me which I always forget about and so it goes cold. So for this reason I thought I would invest in a push button flask. I read all the reviews on this particular item and they were quite good.
I ordered one and I can honestly say that I am absolutely delighted with this product. I fill it in the morning and it lasts all day. The water has stayed hot for 12 hours. It is taller than I expected but it is an attractive design. Very easy to fill, rotates 360 degrees so no-one can accidentaly knock it over when dispensing a hot drink, push buttom pump that you either open/close, it doesn`t drip and has a very comfortable handle to carry it with. Even my neighbour has enjoyed a cup of tea from it when we had to shelter in my greenhouse from the awful rain we had at the weekend.
One of the best things I`ve ever bought. Its going to come in handy for so many things. Even the children are taken with it, we love it. Every home should have one, highly recommended

Kitchen Craft Sweetly Does It 20 Hole Silicone Cake Pop
Kitchen Craft Sweetly Does It 20 Hole Silicone Cake Pop

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect just what I wanted, 8 Jun 2012
Great product and it works. Personally I never use the recipes included because they are always American and don`t quite work with me, instead I use a basic sponge mix. Firstly as with my other silicone moulds I grease then flour (works every time). For this mould I made a 6oz mix of sr flour, c. sugar. margarine (never butter) and 3 free range eggs. There was more than I needed but it didn`t go to waste I made cupcakes with the remainder although I`m sure you could get away with a 4oz mix instead. 3/4 fill the bottom mould and then put the top mould on (the one with the holes in it), I used gas 4 for about 18minutes but that depends on your oven. Make sure you place the mould on a baking tray to keep it level. When pops are ready leave them on your work surface to go completely cold otherwise they tend to break in half because they are too hot. When cold gently lift the top mould off and the rest of the balls should just pop out quite easily.
To decorate the pops I use cake melts which are made for this job of icing as it doesn`t slip off the round balls like ordinary icing would do, or if you used melted chocolate bars trust me neither work. The cheapest place I have found so far for the cake/candy melts is Hobbycraft £2.99 for a 12oz bag. You can buy it in various colours and flavours. All you do is put the cake/candy melts in a bowl and let it melt over a pan of hot water.
When you insert the lolly sticks into the cake balls you need to "glue" them in place so they don`t fall off. For this all you do is insert about an inch of the lolly stick into the cake melt then push it gently into the cake ball. Then leave them to set for about 15 minutes. I stick mine in a thick piece of polystyrene or you could use a piece of oasis. When they are set you can begin dipping each cake into your cake melt carefully coating it fully, when coated gently tap the stick on the side of the bowl to remove excess icing. Then decorate as you wish either with sprinkles or chopped nuts, its up to you. I made some recently with pink icing and placed a wafer butterfly on each one, I have also used wafer daisies. Just have fun.
I can highly recommend these, hope all you home bakers give them a try instead of making them with left over cake and mixing them up with some sort of frosting or buttercream, baking them from scratch is so much better.
Give them a go, happy baking Anne

UPDATE 10 SEPTEMBER
I`ve been trying different things in this pop mould and 1 of them is ice cream. I let any flavour icecream soften so I can use a scoop to get a good half round ball and place 1 in the bottom of the mould and 1 in the top. I then quickly put the top on like when I`m baking and gently press each mould so that it makes contact with the 1 underneath. They go back in freezer to re-harden. When you take them back out and remove the top of the mould you should have a round ball. Again I go through the process of sticking a lolly stick in them as above but this time I use a supermarkets own brand (but that`s up to you) I leave them in the bottom mould and replace them back in the freezer. I melt my chocolate and let it cool down as much as I can without it setting again and then 1 at a time I dip an icecream ball into it. I just let it set as it is but you could coat in sprinkles (again up to you), I do them 1 at a time and stick each 1 as its done back in the freezer, For this I have a cakepop stand that I bought. They are delicious, you can serve them up as a dessert just remove the sticks before serving on a plate. I make them using milk, dark and white chocolate not mixed together but individually. I`ve also coloured some regal-ice green cut out holly leaves and made small red holly berries and put them on top of the "icecream bombs" as we now call them and dusted them with icing sugar. They look amazing. Or just leave them on the sticks and serve, this can be messy as they melt rather quickly. You could also cut out with a wavy cutter circles of fondant again put on top of the pops and decorate with the holly leaves and they look like christmas puddings.

Give them a go
Anne

Updated 20 September

Just made a caterpillar cake using 8 pops covered individually in chocolate then "glued" together with a dab more chocolate, I used smarties for the eyes, I also cut out fondant legs, 2 for each pop and again stuck on with chocolate. He looks good. I`ve also made a christmas tree using the pops and stacked it up like you would do with profiteroles then sprinkled with gold edible glitter. Theres so much you can do with this cake pop mould.

Go on have some fun
Anne
Comment Comments (67) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2014 10:40 AM BST

100MM (4") Hand Held 3x Magnifying Glass
100MM (4") Hand Held 3x Magnifying Glass
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT FOR STUDYING OLD MAPS, 26 May 2012
Bought this magnifying glass for the sole purpose of studying local old maps while researching my family history. The older the map the smaller the printing and it was getting virtually impossible to read a lot of the street names. This glass is so clear and the magnification is just perfect. I do find it slightly heavier to hold than expected but I am getting used to it now. I wouldn`t be without it, it is proving to be invaluable to me, I can`t recommend it highly enough.
If I did drop it and it needed replacing I would be sraight back on here to order another one without hesitation.
Absolutely perfect 10 out of 10

Little Cupcake Boxes Company Silver mini sparklers - 1 pack of 20
Little Cupcake Boxes Company Silver mini sparklers - 1 pack of 20
Offered by Unique Wedding Favours

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG AMAZING, 25 April 2012
ARRIVED VERY QUICKLY AND WERE WRAPPED PERFECTLY WITH NO DAMAGE TO PADDED ENVELOPE.

IF YOU BAKE CUPCAKES LIKE I DO AND WANT SOMETHING EXTRA SPECIAL THEN THESE ARE JUST WHAT YOU NEED. THEY ARE SO PERFECT, MINI SPARKLERS AND THEY REALLY DO SPARKLE LIKE THE BIG HAND HELD ONES. I WANTED SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO PUT ON TOP OF A GIANT DOUGHNUT BIRTHDAY CAKE THAT I`D BEEN ASKED TO BAKE. I DIDN`T WANT BORING OLD CANDLES THEN AFTER LOOKING AROUND AMAZON FOR SPARKLERS I WAS AMAZED TO FIND YOU COULD ACTUALLY BUY "MINI CUPCAKE SPARKLERS", NOT ONLY IN SILVER BUT IN OTHER COLOURS AS WELL. SEEMED A GOOD PRICE WITH FREE P&P SO I ORDERED THEM. THEY ARRIVED NOT IN A TIN AS DESCRIBED BUT IN 2 CARDBOARD TUBES OF 10 PER TUBE (if you advertise a "tin" then they should come in a tin)! HOWEVER THEY WERE WELL PROTECTED AND NONE DAMAGED. I COULDN`T WAIT TO PUT ONE ON A CAKE SO I LIT ONE, IT TOOK ABOUT 10 SECONDS FOR IT TO CATCH AND THEN "OMG W-O-W" I JUST LOVED IT, THE SPARKS DON`T FLY EVERYWHERE, I FELT VERY SAFE WITH IT AND IT LASTED FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS. THEY ARE ROUGHLY 4"HIGH WITH A GOOD SPIKE SO THAT YOU CAN PUSH IT DOWN INTO THE CAKE AND IT WON`T TOPPLE OVER. WHEN YOU REMOVE THEM FROM YOUR CAKES BE CAREFUL AS THEY DO GET VERY HOT SO LET THEM COOL DOWN, JUST BE CAREFUL OF LITTLE FINGERS TRYING TO REMOVE THEM. THE ONLY THING I DON`T LIKE IS THE SMELL THEY STINK AFTER THEY HAVE BURNT OUT. EITHER STANDBY WITH AN AIR FRESHNER OR TAKE THEM OUTSIDE - WEATHER PERMITTING.

THEY ARE GOING TO BE SUCH A BIG HIT WITH EVERY SPECIAL CAKE I MAKE, CAN YOU IMAGINE USING THEM NOT ONLY FOR A BIRTHDAY CAKE BUT FOR HALLOWEEN, BONFIRE NIGHT, CHRISTMAS AND OF COURSE NEW YEARS EVE.

EVERYONE WHO BAKES LIKE I DO MUST GET SOME OF THESE SPARKLERS YOU REALLY DO NEED THEM. I CAN`T RECOMMEND THEM ENOUGH. HAPPY BAKING X

SILICONE GIANT DOUGHNUT CAKE MAKER MOULD + DONUT RECIPE
SILICONE GIANT DOUGHNUT CAKE MAKER MOULD + DONUT RECIPE
Offered by CuratedUK

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS MOULD, 18 April 2012
This doughnut mould is so easy to use. You do get a recipe included saying to use a 6oz/3 egg cake mix. My first doughnut I went by the book but I could tell it wasn`t quite enough mixture so for my second attempt I used 8oz/4 egg cake mix, what a difference it made. I also didn`t oil the moulds as suggested I greased with margarine and then floured them, it was so much better the cakes literally fell out when I turned them upside down. You must wait though for the cakes to go cold don`t be tempted to turn them out while still warm (like I did as the first one cracked, but that was MY FAULT not the mould). Decoration wise I spread jam then buttercream on the botton half stuck the top on and drizzled icing all over and let it run down the sides and middle, then went mad with brightly coloured sprinkles. Then we ate it!
I`ve already been asked to make 2 more for birthday cakes. Instead of candles I`m using sparklers, can`t wait to do them.
Can`t recommend this doughnut mould highly enough, its put a smile on everyones face that has seen it. It comes in a really nice box so would make a great gift.
Hope you`ll give it a try, happy baking

UPDATE 10 JUNE

I have since I wrote this review purchased "mini cupcake sparklers" to use instead of candles. They are amazing. I have made 8 doughnut cakes for birthday cakes and am using the mini sparklers, the reaction from the recipients has been "W O W never seen anything like it before" or "didn`t know you could buy such a thing", they have been so well recieved. Yet another product available to buy from my favourite shop Amazon.

CostMad TM 8 Piece Afternoon Tea Party Bake and Serve Cupcake Party Cup and Saucer Silicone Cupcake Soufflé Moulds Cases Birthday Wedding Fun Party Cake Decorating Multi Coloured Frosting Icing Desert Gift Set
Offered by E-Deals Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars MAD HATTERS TEA PARTY, 12 April 2012
SUPER SPEEDY DELIVERY EVEN FOR A BANK HOLIDAY.

I JUST LOVE THE IDEA OF BAKING "TEACUP" CUP CAKES (which is how they originally started out - in tea cups!). THEY ARE BIGGER THAN I EXPECTED BUT NOT OVER BIG. THEY ARE MUFFIN SIZE CUPS WHICH MEANS IF YOU WANTED TOO YOU COULD SLIP A MUFFIN CASE INTO THE CUP FIRST THEN SPOON IN THE MIXTURE, OR JUST MAKE YOUR CAKES FIRST IN THE NORMAL WAY AND THEN PUT A CAKE INTO EACH TEA CUP AND DECORATE IT.
WHAT FUN YOU COULD HAVE WITH THESE MOULDS, MAD HATTERS TEA PARTY, GIRLS NIGHT IN, GREAT FOR HALLOWEEN, CHRISTMAS PARTY, IN FACT ANY CELEBRATION THAT YOU WANT.
PITY THEY ONLY COME IN SETS OF FOUR AS I ALWAYS BAKE CAKES IN BATCHES OF 12.
CAN`T WAIT TO USE THEM

UPDATE 14 MAY - JUST VISITED MY LOCAL SHOP WHERE EVERYTHING IS A POUND AND SAW THESE MOULDS, 2 IN A BOX EXACTLY THE SAME, CAN`T TELL YOU HOW MUCH THEY WERE!!!!!!! BUT I BOUGHT 4 MORE BOXES SO NOW I HAVE 12

Page: 1 | 2