Profile for Jay Lee > Reviews

Million Dollar Mates
by Cathy Hopkins
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Million Dollar Mates (Paperback)
Got this for my friend's daughter and began to read it to check it out in advance. I got totally engrossed! I loved it and think it will appeal to all ages. Quirky and fun, while at the same time covering some pretty serious topics. What is especially good though is the way the underlying serious issues are treated. Not heavy duty, or weighed down by moralistic lectures but nicely resolved in a perfect use of show don't tell. A great read for girls of all ages!

We're on the Zodiac Girls now as well as the Million Dollar Mates and both loving them (and yes I say both, am reliving my youth a bit!) It's also so refreshing to find books that are well written and not filled with depressing, unsuitable or too adult themes.

Hopkins really is a breath of fresh air!

by Jill Bolte Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book!, 12 July 2008
This book is excellent on so many levels. Jill Bolte Taylor is a Brain Specialist who at the age of 37 had a stroke. This book begins by explaining the way the brain works clearly and simply from a functional point of view. It also provides a valuable insight as to what a stroke victim experiences and is a must read for anyone working with or caring for a stroke victim.

But this book is also much more than that. As Jill walks us through the process of her stroke, which shut down her left brain function and gave her an uninterrupted view of the right brain in action the book opens out to give us an experience of the amazing and boundless potential of the human as a being at one with and in direct connection with which she describes as the life force power of the universe.

There are so many books trying to describe the human condition both from the perspective of science and biology and from the spiritual perspective. In this book both perspectives meet and back each other up. My reaction to this book was "At last! A scientist who not only understands the mechanisms that allow us to experience the full potential of our nature as spiritual and human beings but who, through her direct experience of it, can testify to the fact that we all have the capacity to be at one with all that is, right here right now while we are still alive and inhabiting the genius structure that is the human body."

As a writer myself, my book Dance with Life is an experiential journey through what it means to be alive and the ways of 'unlearning' all the concepts which block us from having a full experience of our place as awakened beings in a friendly and beautiful universe. Too often I've been asked if this is really possible, if everyone really has the ability to do this. Now I'm delighted to be able to say go read Jill Bolte Taylor's book and you'll find all the explanation and proof that you need. In fact I'd recommend that her last chapter should be required reading for anyone who wants to further their inner exploration as it paves the way to really understand and get the most from what all the spiritual journey books say.

This Charming Man
This Charming Man
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Marian Keyes!, 1 May 2008
This review is from: This Charming Man (Hardcover)
Am bereft! I tried so hard not to read this book in a day (and into the wee small hours) so that I could savor it for as long as possible but I couldn't put it down and now I have to start the long wait for her next book! I love Keyes' books and this was another great read. More serious and gritty than her previous books, it still has enough quirky characters, great dialogue and zany laugh out loud moments to contrast against the disturbing and emotional real life issues that it covers. She struck a good balance between the two so that neither suffered and I was gripped the whole way through. I feel quite wrung out after it as you really go on a journey with all three of the main characters. I don't want to give away the story line so I'm not saying any more...

by Jill Bolte Taylor