Profile for voltyvic > Reviews

Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
Price: 8.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from the Real Techniques range, 8 July 2014
Another winning brush from Sam Chapman's Real Techniques range. As with the other RT brushes it has synthetic hair, so that's a good start as it's cruelty free. The hairs on this brush are soft and densely packed with a domed head. I use it for buffing any of my foundations, be they liquid or cream, into a smooth even finish and the shape means you can get into all areas of your face, even around your eyes. Unlike some other brushes you don't really need to use a light touch because the brush does not absorb the foundation. I've found that a few hairs have come out after a few uses but I suspect they were loose to start with. Certainly though at this price I'm not too bothered. I can't recommend this brush range highly enough.

Real Techniques Stippling Brush
Real Techniques Stippling Brush
Price: 8.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Best brush range to come out in yonks, 8 July 2014
This brush truly is excellent. I bought some Illamasqua Skin Base foundation as everyone on beauty blogs raved about it but it's incredibly thick. I gave up using it which was a shame and a costly mistake, until I decided to try putting it on with this brush. The brush gives a wonderfully light way of lightly almost floating the product on to the skin. You can't put too much on and for heavy liquid foundations this brush is definitely the best I've used. The brush itself is lightweight, the hairs are very soft and synthetic (animal friendly is very important to me), it's easy to clean, you can stand it on end if you want and it's very reasonably priced. I don't know how long it will last but I have high hopes for it. Frankly it's one of the best brushes I've bought in ages and I really can't recommend it highly enough

The Vanishing Tribes of Burma
The Vanishing Tribes of Burma
by Richard.K. Diran

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 8 July 2014
I've been fortunate enough to visit Burma / Myanmar a few times and that's why I bought this book. It's a fantastic coffee table book with great pictures etc. I can't say anything anything other than I love it though. It gives basic information and a lot of the tribes are present in Laos, Thailand and China etc so if you've been to those countries it could be of interest to you too. Word of warning - I spent years trying to get a copy of this book at a reasonable price as I'd seen it previously, whether you'd be able to find a decent, inexpensive copy yourself is doubtful.

La Roche Posay Serozinc Astringent Toner with Aerosol 150 Ml
La Roche Posay Serozinc Astringent Toner with Aerosol 150 Ml
Offered by Beauty Tulips
Price: 10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it if you really want to look after your face, 8 July 2014
I've started using this as part of my new skincare regime. I can't find this product anywhere other than on line and it was recommended by Caroline Hirons, skincare expert & blogger. It's great for use in between each step of your facial routine as you know your face is nice and clean. When it says it's astringent though, don't expect pure alcohol. It's very gentle and I would think it's probably good for people who suffer from breakouts too. I don't know how long this can will last but I'll definitely be getting more :)

Stories Inspired By Siouxsie
Stories Inspired By Siouxsie

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 July 2014
Sorry but not good. Slightly embarrassing really and I'm a huge Siouxsie fan. Perhaps if you're not a fan it might be ok as you're expectations are not coloured. I can't say I hate it because that's not fair to the author. Just because I don't like it, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a go. Young goths might enjoy it more than me - a rather patronising comment I'm aware but it comes from a rather old goth / miserable old trout.

Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
by Jamie Oliver
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Even if you loathe him, swallow your pride (and his food)., 8 July 2014
This is the first Jamie Oliver book I've bought and bought 15 minute meals at the same time. My sister loves his books and meals and uses them regularly and recommended them. Personally, I can't stand the way he presents his programmes frankly - the Essex boy thing is extremely irritating but I have to admit his food looks (and is) very tasty. I thought that the book would also help my carers (I'm disabled) cook me decent food, which it does. However, in my opinion, his way of writing is not conducive to those with limited experience - what is a "lug" of oil? A teaspoon? A tablespoon? Two tablespoons? Who knows? Not me. I was considering cancelling my 15 Minute Meals book on this basis but by that time it was too late (things are written clearer in that book though so I have no problems with it). I think the real benefit for me is the sections on cuts of meat. I try to use cheap cuts anyway as I use a slow cooker sometimes but didn't know all of the information the book provides. If you buy it 2nd hand (as I did) you'll probably save yourself a bomb sooner rather than later after investing in all the store cupboard ingredients needed. I'm looking forward to using the book much more.

UKDapper Large Cardboard Box House Moving Removal Packing Kit inc 40 new boxes (5 sizes), acid free tissue paper, bubble wrap, refuse sacks, tape, marker pen
Offered by EA Packaging
Price: 22.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible & a Rip off, 27 Nov 2013
Right, firstly I would like to say that I have been unable to contact the company direct to try & rectify this issues. So, no binbags at all, no tissue paper and no bubble wrap. Really badly packed so that most of the large boxes are damaged. Basically a complete pile of crap and a waste of money. I really should read reviews before I even consider buying things online. If you're reading this then take note!

Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013]
Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen
Price: 23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome but where are the extras?, 26 Sep 2013
Can't really say much more about this really. I caught an episode by chance and decided to buy the whole series. I'm not going to bother reviewing it as there are plenty of reviews but the chemistry between the two main characters Will Graham (played by Hugh Dancy) a gifted but unstable FBI profiler, and Dr Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) a psychiatrist who is seemingly trying help keep Will sane, is fabulous to watch. This Dr Lecter is so wonderful, charming, erudite and an extremely good cook that it's easy to just ignore the fact that he's a murdering cannibal! There's a different story every week but the main part of the show is dedicated to Will & Hannibal's relationship. I haven't seen a series this classy for a long time and I can't wait for Series two. The extras are totally crap though and I mean SERIOUSLY crap. I would have expected a lot better - buy the dvd from the American store to get the gag reel etc (check they''re on there first)

Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Aluminum Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab10.1 P7510 P7500
Offered by douself
Price: 8.09

4.0 out of 5 stars just the job, 26 Sep 2013
Well, I'm using it as we speak! For some one who finds touch screen keyboards both irritating and uncomfortable to use sometimes, this the perfect choice. Inexpensive, standard keyboard keeps your tablet at a nice angle but obviously you don't have to have it anywhere near the tablet if you don't want to. Snaps into place as a protective cover too although separating the two can be rather tricky. Definitely worth it though. Also arrived on time, well packaged and easy to connect via bluetooth. What could be simpler?

Untitled: Diane Arbus
Untitled: Diane Arbus
by Diane Arbus
Price: 18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging but rewaarding, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Untitled: Diane Arbus (Hardcover)
I've been wanting to get this book for a long time and finally got round to doing so. The subject matter (portraits taken of patients at residences for the "mentally retarded" in 1969 - 71) is challenging and frankly sometimes disturbing. During those years people with learning difficulties were obviously simply locked away so were never seen. In our modern more "liberal" times we like to feel that this is not the case anymore and that most intelligent people do not see these conditions as a "problem" when in fact this is not true at all. These photographs show unflinchingly what is is still there on the fringes of our society. The photos are all portraits, mostly taken at parties. Some are funny, some are joyful but some, such as Halloween are frankly, downright scary. (I am reminded to a degree of Eyes Wide Shut with the masks - even a paper bag on someone's head becomes frightening.) There is however no sense of voyeurism strangely. This is a case of straightforward people, safe in their environment with no reason to hide, just having fun enjoying having their photo taken. There is no self-consciousness just a natural sense of self and we are reminded that it is us, the viewer, who have projected our fears and prejudices forward. Altogether, a wonderful book, highly recommended.. Full marks to the seller also with the book arriving promptly and carefully packaged. Big thumbs up!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4