Profile for munchkinsraves > Reviews

Serenity [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion
Price: 3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sci-fi: Leaves you wanting more..., 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I was starting to wonder if there was any more good sci-fi to be had after the latest in Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica and was growing quite apathetic as to some of what was coming out of late. Then a miracle! A series called Firefly came my way and I found it superb. It is a very different future than Babylon 5, or Star Trek. The main interstellar government exists, but this time they are the bad guys.In a world where one can exist with a space ship, weapons and the strong will to survive, the crew of Firefly manage despite overwhelming difficulties.
The only sad thing is that the series Firefly was only given one season- despite many angry fans. At the least though, they came out with the film Serenity [the title is the name of the ship, Firefly is a class of space ships] ,which adds to the story. It ties up a few loose ends in the plot of the tv series very nicely. The sets, acting, effects...are all very good. It would be wishing for too much for the 'powers that be' to come up with more for the series or perhaps another film.
Even if you have yet to see the Firefly series, one would still find the film enjoyable.

Star Trek Voyager  - Season 7 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek Voyager - Season 7 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Mulgrew
Price: 16.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ending to a great series!!, 21 Jan 2013
I admit, I am biased- I am a Trekkie and proud of it...:) To use a more critical eye for this review, I still think Voyager- Season 7 is brilliant. Yes, the Voyager crew are nearing the end of their long, long journey in the far away Delta quadrant of the galaxy. Personally,the characters themselves at this stage have travelled far as well.
If you know little or next to nothing about the series, I can safely say that if you were to check this out first, you would still enjoy it on its own. However, being the end of the line as it were, it would also be helpful to have at least one season first.
Great viewing for everyone- even if sci-fi is not your 'thing'...

Brite Ideas Festive 80LV LED lights with multifunction, Warm White
Brite Ideas Festive 80LV LED lights with multifunction, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lights, 7 Jan 2013
They were a doddle to put up on the tree- very easy. [on a 6' tree] They also look great too and have a handy little green box to adjust the blinking feature. I keep them on all night- a nice,soft light. Great value...

Flight And Travel Socks - Size 9-11- Black
Flight And Travel Socks - Size 9-11- Black
Offered by Sock Snob Ltd
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Flight & Travel Socks, 19 Dec 2012
Due to an ongoing illness, I have circulation problems, despite the fact I do not travel... Thus, I thought these would help, but they were very very tight fitting. I had to give them away after quickly trying it on...Oh well...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2014 4:12 AM GMT

Star Trek The Next Generation - Season 6 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek The Next Generation - Season 6 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Price: 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek the Next Generation- Season 6, 19 Dec 2012
As a self confessed 'Trekkie', you can correctly assume that this review will be favourable...It is... This show in particular, the Next Generation, seems to improve every season.. The characters are well developed, the tech. side of things is leaps better than the earlier series'. the scripts & the acting are all very good. check it out!!!

Out Of Egypt [DVD]
Out Of Egypt [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kara Cooney
Offered by specialinterests
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of Egypt- interesting series..., 15 Sep 2012
This review is from: Out Of Egypt [DVD] (DVD)
Being an Art Historian, Egyptology is a field close to my heart. Thus, I tend to find most documentaries on the subject of interest. What sets this apart is that it goes 'out of Egypt' to compare & contrast other ancient cultures. It looks at the rise of cities, how burial customs change, etc. It is not PhD level stuff nor is it a bore for someone on the post-grad. level either.
The photography and effects are very good. The packaging is in the old style 6 discs, 6 boxes within a box format, instead of the new format- a pain to store/display & receive by mail. However, this is a good buy and would even make a great gift [as it can appeal to a very universal audience] for any one.

The Dark Angel - The Complete BBC Series [DVD] [1989]
The Dark Angel - The Complete BBC Series [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole
Price: 6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drama- the Dark Angel, 9 Sep 2012
I saw this many years ago in the States and read the book on which the show is based 'Uncle Silas'Uncle Silas A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu about 20 odd times. I had to get it on Kindle as my copy from years ago is starting to disintegrate!! :). The tv series does a good job of it and yes, Peter O'Toole does an excellent Uncle Silas.
I had forlorn hopes years ago of obtaining a copy, until the other day, whilst thinking for a birthday present for myself found that Amazon has it! Hurrah! Cannot wait to get my copy. If you like ghost stories, or just good drama,check this out.

Star Trek Voyager  - Season 4 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek Voyager - Season 4 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Mulgrew
Price: 17.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek- Voyager... still fresh and good fun, 18 Aug 2012
I have been a big fan of Voyager since 2009- a most dreadful year for me. The Voyager crew provided me with brilliant escapism sci-fi fun ever since then. I also like the fact that Janeway is the first female captain in Star Trek. Also, the crew is a very different mix than what we are used to in Star Trek- we have an ex-con [Tom Paris], former members of a rebel group [the Maquee], a former Borg- 7 of 9, a hologram,etc. They are not your typical ST crew and that is what makes it special.
Series 4 is excellent. Not only are we introduced to the Borg crew member, 7 of 9, we have loads of good episodes that deal with an array of interesting ideas and issues. Some of my favourites are 'Random Thoughts' where engineer Belana Torres is arrested for thinking a violent thought on a planet of telepaths who are very keen about keeping violence out of their society. Another great episode is 'Mortal Coil' where Neelix [moral officer] is revived from the dead and questions his beliefs of an after life that did not come to fruition. Also episodes like 'Scorpion' and 'the Gift' which deal with the incorporation of 7 of 9. 'Living Witness' is an episode which examines how the Voyager crew may be remembered 700 years into the future on a troubled planet.
It would probably help ones understanding of the series to check out either series' 1 or 2 first;however, Even if one starts with this, the 4th series, you would be able to enjoy it still.

Andromeda: Season 1 - Episodes 6-10 (Box Set) [DVD] [2000]
Andromeda: Season 1 - Episodes 6-10 (Box Set) [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Kevin Sorbo
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Andromeda- Season 1.2 ...perhaps the best season of the show, 31 July 2012
I usually find that as a rule, I do not like Season 1 in most all sci-fi shows. Usually, Season 1 is where we meet the characters and get the world, the scene set for the rest of the show. When making a dvd purchase, I often start with season 2 and usually get round to season 1 after I have bought seasons 3,4, etc... However, I found with Andromeda, this not to be the case. the story lines are better, the acting is better, and the episodes are more engaging. The later series' are a bit stale in comparison. Ok, the special effects improve in the later series', but all else seems to go downhill a bit. the characters in this series are more energetic, more fun and the actors seem like they really want to be there.
The main Andromeda concept is that the distant future is not a paradise, unlike Star Trek. 'Paradise' has fallen due to wars and one man, with his powerful war ship,and misfit crew try to push back the darkness...I find the concept to be a good one- a different way of looking at what our future may be like. I recommend this for everyone over age 11.

PESTILENCE
PESTILENCE
Price: 3.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Pestilence: A Modern Day Story of a Medieval Nightmare, 31 July 2012
This review is from: PESTILENCE (Kindle Edition)
I have always held a fascination for all things medical. No, I am not a medical person, but find the topic fascinating,nevertheless... I also love history- thus, I felt that this was a book I had to read. Although slow at some parts, 'Pestilence' is a great read. The detail provided of the disease, the town in which it took place and the characters was perfect. Not overwhelmed with medical jargon, it is easy enough for anyone to follow.
Around the middle, it started to lag a bit;however, the last few chapters were really thrilling. Note, anyone with an extreme phobia of rats should take care,as a main plague carrier- they have a large role in this story.
It is also fascinating to think how a town would cope if something like plague were to visit it.
I would recommend this for anyone who wants a good read and is not too nervous about rats. I am not in that category,as much as I loathe rodents of all sorts, I still found myself shudder a bit at the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11