Profile for Dosti Ali > Reviews

Content by Dosti Ali

Dosti Ali (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Skypix TSN470 2.0 TFT / 1050 DPI Build in Li-polymer battery 1200mA/H TFT Preview function Portable Handheld Handy A4 Photo Scanner 900 DPI Preview PDF/JPEG by YSYT Deal
Offered by Tiny Direct Deal

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use but shame there arnt instructions in english, 27 Jan. 2015
Pros
- Easy to use and configure
- on board rechargeable battery
- reasonably quick scan at high DPI

Cons

- Instructions in mandarin/Cantonese
- Could benefit from a free memory card.
- accompanying software is a bit basic

Bought this to use to scan a epic amount of photos onto my new family server. i was looking for something simple, easy to use and easy to transfer images from. the Sky-pix ticked all three boxes. the instructions that come with the kit are NOT in English or any other European dialect and leaves western users to figure out how to use it. thankfully it is a simple kit to use and as a tech savy person it was not a challenge to setup and use.

a lot of other scanners come with a free micro HD card and it would have been nice to get one here so that you don't have to go find one or in my case buy one but this is a moot point. as it stores images on the micro HD card you do not necessarily need to install the software on your pc/laptop/mac to use as all you need is a micro SD card reader.

Panasonic TX-42AS650B - Direct LED Passive 3D 1200 Hz Freeview HD 42
Panasonic TX-42AS650B - Direct LED Passive 3D 1200 Hz Freeview HD 42

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 22 Jan. 2015
Tip
- pop down to your local electrical store and play with a few brands. then buy online.

Pros
- Lots of HDMI sockets
- Excellent Smart TV setup
- Good quality picture

Cons
- No VGA Connection
- Not a great selection of picture settings
- cabling ports all over the back so makes keeping cables tidy that much more tricky

i bought the Panasonic during the black Friday sales. i had my eye on it for a number of months and monitored the price during the months proceeding the sales. i bought it at a reduced price and think i got excellent value for money.

the picture quality is impressive. as with all things once you get used to them the effects diminish. the unit comes with two remotes. one standard and one for the smart tv site of things. the smart remote was great but could have benefited from a few extra buttons so when i am doing some web browsing i need to use both remotes which defeats the objective.

the smart tv setup is excellent but i have found that i have used it less and less and should be classed as a 'quirky extra' unless you use it for on demand or NetFlix. my Wifi router is sat below the TV so i havent experienced any wifi connection issues. the TV is easy to setup and configure.

the big downer for me was that there was no VGA connection slot so i cant plug in my ipad/laptop to the unit.

overall very pleased with my purchase and would recommend.

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bryan Cranston
Offered by Tooboon

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhaustingly adictive, 21 Jan. 2015
The best books, TV, films and music are usually the ones that become popular through word of mouth. Blockbusters will always grab the limelight and all of the awards and celebration that goes with it. To truly find the great pieces of work of our time its those of us that look a little further, a little deeper to find the really good stuff.

Members of the general public will reel off Beatles hits that probably number one on the charts but the best Beatles songs are not the ones the hits but album tracks hidden away awaiting to be discovered and cherished by those patient enough to listen through. Breaking bad is one of those series that never made it big in terms of ratings and publicity until the final series where most had to buy the box set to catch-up. i was one of those and was completely engrossed by the series. it tells the wonderful story of Walter White and his former student Jesse Pinkman in their adventures in the Crystal Meth trade.

Parts of the series do drift off from the main narrative, there is an episode that seems to focus on a fly in the meth lab but may well be a metaphor for Walter Whites desire for perfection. The first series is rather short because of the writers strike when it was being filmed.

you come out of this series loving and hating characters and that is the true test of a good series when viewers are emotionally invested in seeing characters win or loose.

so my advise is buy the box set, call in sick to work and enjoy.

D-Line Large Cable Tidy Unit - Black
D-Line Large Cable Tidy Unit - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 21 Jan. 2015
Pros

- plenty of space for all that you would want to fit in.
- open slots at the rear for wires to go in and out.

Cons

- it is just a plasticbox
- not as big as it looks on the page.

I bought this after becoming fed-up at looking a very cluttered space below my TV which consisted of a mesh of wires and plugs and set top boxes. my wife has been on my case for a long while to find a way of tidying up the space.

i came across this product on amazon and was concerned that it may not fit in all of the bits i needed to. i was however quite wrong. i managed to fit in a six plug extension cable, my xbox power unit and also all the excess wires and plugs for all my devices. i used this alongside a cable tidy for wires coming from my TV and now have a the floor around my TV back to myself again. its been that well received some of my family have bought one for their living rooms.

my only gripe was that D-line dont have an extra large box in their range as i would have bought that to place my broadband route into the unit.

overall i am very happy with the product.

Adidas miCoach Heart Rate Monitor 2 and Strap
Adidas miCoach Heart Rate Monitor 2 and Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Combining gadgets and fitness, 5 Jan. 2015
Pros
- great battery life
- easy fit
- great accompanying app
- app available on apple store, nokia store and android

cons
- calorie burn not as accurate as you would hope
- cost a little on the high side
- requires a Bluetooth connection to you phone.

I purchased this accessory after downloading the free MI Coach app on my iphone. I had used the app on its own using GPS to track my running. That setup required me to use pace as my main measure. Given the apps ease of use I decided to invest in the HRM (heart rate monitor) and the chest strap to give me better readings which it did but I realised that the calorie burn readings were a bit high.

I had since moved over to a Nokia Lumia and realized that the mi coach software for idevices is newer. this resolves the issue i had with high calorie burns readings however the nokia store app still hasn't been updated so I am stuck with a device that gives slightly high readings.

I have countered this by wearing the HRM and doing nothing to work out how many calories i would burn doing normal activities. I then minus that form any workout I do to get my actual calorie burn.

The true measure of how good this tool is how often I use it and whether it motivates me to exercise more. I use this all the time and I enjoy the goals it sets and my desire to beat those goals.

Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars one for fanss of the series, 5 Jan. 2015
Pros
- Great game play
- Good story

Cons
- Very similar to Fallout 3 in terms of play (but i think that was intended)
- too much in game dialogue (in parts)
- made easy by the supporting characters.
- bugs galore

I loved the fallout series and New Vegas didn’t disappoint. Sticking to the tried and tested formula of Fallout 3 and a dystopian alternative world, it delivers a fulfilling and interesting story. However this is also a negative for me as it hasn’t evolved enough from Fallout 3, but then again from Bethesdas viewpoint ‘if it aint broke don’t fix it’.

There are a number of characters that tag along to the main character and when out roaming the vast Mojave desert always take out the baddies for you. Yes! I could disarm the companion but I think removing the companion altogether would make the game tougher and therefore that bit more playable. I suppose the hardcore mode would cover this but I didn’t want to go through the same story again.

My other annoyance was that at some points during the game the length of conversations with NPC characters was excessive and I ended up tapping through rather than enjoying it.

All in all a very good game although with a couple of exceptions.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R.R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form, 5 Jan. 2015
A return to form for Martin after the comparative borefest of 'a feast for crows'. Dance with dragons picks up on some of my favourite characters in the series.

the story is moved on at a greater pace than in previous books and we all want to see Mr Martin finish off the series and deliver a true and shocking conclusion.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R.R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 5 Jan. 2015

Survivor
Survivor
by Chuck Palahniuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Survivor (Paperback)
If you are a lover of the writing style of Chuck this book follows in that vein and delivers a gripping and provoking story. Chuck writing style immerses the reader in the world of the main character. i found myself imagining Ed Norton in the main role (prob because of the fight club film).

this book has lead me to purchase and read pretty much all of the other books written by chuck and that in itself is the biggest praise i can give.

Vtech Kidizoom Twist Plus Camera (Pink)
Vtech Kidizoom Twist Plus Camera (Pink)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good toy but a bit pricey, 4 Jan. 2015
Pros
- Great gadget for kids
- Good ergonomic design for kids

Cons
- Bit pricey at £56 RRP
- Only a 2 MP camera

Bought this gift for my nieces 6th birthday. it was a well recieved gift and the acid test of a good toy/gift is how long a child uses it. if they use it for a day or two then it would be rubbish. The kidzoom is still being used almost 6 months after it was first purchased and its also lead to my niece being familar with tech terms. whether thats a good thing or not is a moot point but its interesting how she uses it as both a toy and a camera.

Page: 1 | 2