Profile for Jen > Reviews

Jen "A reader" (UK)

One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler
One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 9 Jan. 2013
Inspiring, practical tips for simple living. Feels achievable when broken down into small projects. Read it all in a couple of days and will now re-read to start the good work. Thanks Tsh.

Confessions Of A Maid: How To Clean Your House In Half The Time
Confessions Of A Maid: How To Clean Your House In Half The Time

1.0 out of 5 stars Less a book, more an article., 5 Jan. 2013
I read this "book" in about 10 minutes. Not worth the nearly £2 I spent on it. Wish I had read some of the reviews first. Don't waste your money.

Success
Success
by Martin Amis

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 23 July 2008
This review is from: Success (Paperback)
This is the first Martin Amis book I have read which I picked up due to being recommended in print by another writer, I must say I have enjoyed this book. Amis has a fully formed style that is strong and apparent but not difficult to access; I felt he had a hold of crafting language and created sentences both full and tight with well placed and descriptive words that were never misplaced. He is able to use words to great effect although I did find myself reaching for a dictionary on many an occasion but passage after passage went by which were both engaging and enjoyable. I found the characters well formed and believable and I found it refreshing that both were given the full gambit of human emotions as they show you their very human characteristics throughout the book. There is supposed to be a twist at the end but don't be fooled because there isn't one, rather the characters change their roles as you and them progress. You can see them both heading towards a new relationship and there is a watershed moment near the end that tips both characters fully into this, I presume that this is suppose to be the twist. Its good though; not tawdry or tacky but believable and in keeping with the rest you've read. Hope you enjoy it if you read it.