Profile for SLW > Reviews

Content by SLW

SLW

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Daffodil WMS335G Wireless Optical Mouse 2.4GHz - Cordless 3 Button PC Mouse with Scrollwheel and Adjustable Sensitivity (MAX DPI: 2000) - For Laptop / Netbook / Desktop Computers - Supported by: Microsoft Windows (10 / 8 / 7 / XP / Vista) and Apple MAC (OS X +) - Battery Powered (1xAA Inc.)
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars BELIEVE THE ONE STAR REVIEWS!, 12 May 2013
This is a poor product. Granted, it's cheap, but it's cheap in both meanings of the word. Mine freezes and the only way out is to restart the computer (thank goodness I can use other mice as a standby!).
In addition, movement is jerky and difficult to control. I hate it. I've gone back to the mouse I bought this to replace!

Kitchen Craft Aluminium Coated Carbon Steel Four Hole Egg Poacher
Kitchen Craft Aluminium Coated Carbon Steel Four Hole Egg Poacher

2.0 out of 5 stars Eggs Stick Badly, 4 April 2013
Not only do they stick, it's a swine trying to clean the bowls. I've tried oil and butter, but nothing seems to make it any less "stick."
The knobs loosen too. I ended up using Araldite in the end. Not a great product, I'm afraid. I wouldn't recommend it.

Radflek Radiator Reflectors (3 Sheets, Fits 3-6 Radiators)  (Old Version)
Radflek Radiator Reflectors (3 Sheets, Fits 3-6 Radiators) (Old Version)
Offered by ideas4lighting

2.0 out of 5 stars Optimistic in the Extreme, 15 Nov. 2012
This package claims to provide sufficient materials for six average sized radiators. If that's the case, they must be very small ones. I found that there was enough for one large radiator, and one ordinary one. I had assumed that I'd have enough for my three normal and one large radiator, with some left over. Well I've got rwo strips left over all right, but they're too narrow to be of any use.
You get three sheets each 600mm x 1200mm, so measure up your radiators - the distance between the brackets at the back - and you'll be able to calculate whether this much will do the job for you.
Or you might consider kitchen foil and a piece of dowling as an alternative...
Very disappointed.

Bader: The Man and His Men (Cassell Military Classics)
Bader: The Man and His Men (Cassell Military Classics)
by Michael G. Burns

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Caution Required, 3 Aug. 2012
Whilst this book includes a good deal of the detail, sadly some of it is inaccurate. Two examples from early in the book: Bader is claimed to be the originator of the finger four formation for fighters (it was in use by the German Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s); and the effective range of the Vickers gun is said to be less than 75 yards, beyond which new metal airframes were resistant to it (this gun fired the same .303 cartridge as the Browning machine gun fitted to later Spitfires and Hurricanes, and can be assumed to have almost identical muzzle velocity. Penetration at 75 yards was also identical. Thin duralumin fuselage skins wouldn't even slow the bullet down).
With such basic errors, one has to question the accuracy of other sections of the book. I wouldn't recommend it. Sorry about that...

Canon EF 500mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens
Canon EF 500mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a stunner!, 12 Jan. 2012
But it takes a while to get used to. There are numerous controls, some of of which you may never use after initially experimenting with them. And make no mistake, this is quite a heavy lens. After you've walked a few miles with it, you know you're carrying it.
I've had mine for several months; before that, I used a Canon 100-400 zoom, which was pretty good, a lot lighter, but without the reach of the 500mm.
When coupled with a 1.4x extender, you get a 700mm lens. I use a Canon Mk II, and it works fine, but it's at its best when there's plenty of light. There is a small trade off in image sharpness, but as long as it's a bright day, it's acceptable.
Would I recommend this lens? Emphatically YES. Just take some time to learn how to use it.

Logitech Laptop Speaker Z305
Logitech Laptop Speaker Z305

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good..., 12 Jan. 2012
...but. There's always a but! Don't expect high volume sound, especially on films. I don't know why; the speakers are CAPABLE of being louder. I'm on Windows 7, and I've looked every sound setting I can find, but to no avail. However, it's loud enough, except when there's lots of background noise; then, you might be better off with earphones. But it's MUCH better than the tinny speakers on my laptop. The sound quality is a great improvement.

Polaroid Battery Grip/Vertical Shutter Release for Canon EOS 7D with LCD Display and Remote Shutter Release
Offered by Smart Shop UK

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, but..., 23 Nov. 2011
It works fine as a battery grip, and as a portrait adaptor (though after all these years it's almost impossible to remember to use that feature). I didn't have any problems setting it up, and I like the way the Canon battery compartment cover fits into the battery grip - how easy would it be to put that "Somewhere safe" and never find it again?
I don't use the gizmo features, so I can't comment on them.
Now for the "but" - the clock keeps resetting. This is really growlworthy. It's not that I actually use the clock, it's just that knowing it's going to do it is so annoying. There is a lock feature, but it doesn't stop it happening. If it weren't for this, I'd give the unit five stars...

Calumet Large Lens Gimbal Head
Calumet Large Lens Gimbal Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gimbal, but..., 8 Sept. 2011
This is a really good gimbal head. It's flexible, balances quite well, and it's easy to use. I spent a whole day with mine yesterday, and it gave no problems at all. I had my Canon 500mm F4 IS USM on board, and it moved pretty smoothly. And it isn't too heavy, either; I was carrying the lens, camera, tripod, rucksack with lunch and coffee, as well as my macro lens and a 1.4 extender.
The only down side isn't a problem with the gimbal itself, it's with the Arca Swiss plate. The thread of screw that goes into the lens has a really annoying tendency to catch on the plate. I got it sorted out in the end, but as I have more than one lens I want to use on this mount, I decided that the only thing was to buy some more plates (from a different manufacturer). That's what I wanted to do anyway, but I still wanted to play with the gimbal in the meantime, so I tried switching the plate between lenses. I'm a grumpy old man anyway, so this made me grrrrowl a bit.

Strikeback Advanced Animal Repeller Sonic/Strobe
Strikeback Advanced Animal Repeller Sonic/Strobe
Offered by BGSL

5.0 out of 5 stars When you've got squirrels..., 16 April 2011
...in the loft, you realise why they're called pests. That's what I bought this device for. I set it up wrongly to start with. Read the instructions! Attach the casing at a height of about ten inches (25cm) above floor level, pointed in the direction you think they're getting in. Set the repeller to ultrasonic - if you set it to the audible frequency, the little blighters ignore it. Then sit outside and watch them going in under the eaves, and come flying out again. The really don't like it! And it doesn't do them any physical harm, though they may require counselling afterwards.
It isn't actually cheap, but it worked for me... All I have to do now is block up the hole.

Hoya 77mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter
Hoya 77mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy one of these., 8 Feb. 2011
I bought one of these filters for my new Canon 100-400 zoom lens, to be used in conjunction with a Canon 7D. I was really disappointed with the quality of images I was getting, and it was only when I took the filter off that I found out that it was causing the problem.
Some people suggest a UV filter to protect your lens; well, I suppose it does that ok, but there's no point in protecting it if the image suffers as much as mine did in the process.
So don't bother, is my advice.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2012 9:56 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3