Profile for J. Hawkins > Reviews

Content by J. Hawkins

J. Hawkins (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
GoSparking Swarovski Elements Multi-Coloured Crystal Square 18K Rose Gold Plated Alloy Earrings with Austrian Crystal For Women ER28347

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown Up Earrings, 19 Oct 2014
These are some of the prettiest earrings I have seen and not the usual diamonds/CZ's or pearls for formal wear. They match well with other pieces from the range. If you don't do huge, dangling earrings these are a great option, with a look that is both sophisticated and fun.

GoSparking Swarovski Elements Multi-Coloured Crystal 18K Rose Gold Plated Alloy Pendant Necklace with Austrian Crystal For Women NL68384

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparkly and colourful, 19 Oct 2014
Sooooo pretty and lovely quality, sparkly necklace. It comes on a really long matching chain. I'm a small person and I haven't measured, but I think this is 26 - 30 inches. I can wrap it twice around my neck and expect most people could. That's not to criticise because I find that by wrapping the chain twice and fastening it at the end of the extension I can reduce it to about 16 inches which will be perfect so I'm happy.

Ninabox Rainbow Collection [RC] -- Rainbow Light.. 18K Rose Gold Plated Alloy Bangle Bracelet with Multicolored Swarovski Elements Crystal. BAG2675M
Offered by NINABOX.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Bracelet, 19 Oct 2014
Absolutely beautiful, sparkly & great quality bracelet. Nice firm catch so even I can wear with confidence that I won't lose it. If considering and you have a very large wrist do keep in mind that there's no real wiggle room in this bracelet & measure carefully to avoid disappointment.

Abacus24-7 [Pocket Book Series] Motorola Moto G (4G LTE) Wallet Case with Flip Cover & Stand - Black
Offered by Abacus24-7

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - doesn't look cheap and it's a perfect, 19 Oct 2014
Great product - doesn't look cheap and it's a perfect, snug fit for my Moto G LTE. Photos seem OK without the fishbowl effect I've had in the past, but I've only done a test one or two. Perhaps my expectations aren't as high as some reviewers', but I don't find the phone bulked up too much by this case. Of course this is a matter of preference and, yes, I would prefer not to have the bulk of any case, but I've also cracked a Motorola screen and don't want that again! This case is a very close fit around the phone, all the plugs and buttons work without fiddling, it doesn't look cheap & plastic-y and the price is right. I'm very pleased.

Inside Crochet
Inside Crochet

5.0 out of 5 stars App for Reading Magazines You Purchase, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Inside Crochet (App)
This application facilitates the ability to read a digital subscription or single issue purchase of Inside Crochet, a wonderful magazine if crochet is your thing. I'd rather use spare space in my house for more yarn so I'm grateful to anyone who can save me storage room! I also enjoy being able to take my tablet with me on the train. I have a great choice of reading material without the added weight of magazines.

Sorry to anyone who (mistakenly) thinks they are getting a free magazine; you're not. You're getting a free app to read magazines you purchase separately.

Belly Melt Diet, The
Belly Melt Diet, The
by of

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far, So Good, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Belly Melt Diet, The (Hardcover)
This diet book comes from the American Prevention/Rodale Press stable. I for one have always trusted them to come up with well thought out, generally healthy and practical information. This diet is no exception to that. If you Google this diet you will find a lot of hype and most of it is wrong.

The front cover blurb says that it is a "6-week plan to harness your body's natural rhythms to lose weight for good" and that you can lose "up to 8 lbs in just 3 days". Inside there are several case studies to support these statements. However I've seen a good deal of poo-pooing on the net about this. I've also seen a lot from people who have obviously confused this diet with another Prevention diet; The Flat Belly Diet. This diet is NOT the Flat Belly Diet, eg there is no "sassy water" in this this diet. The claim is that if you regulate your inner clock and correct your natural rhythms you'll sleep better, get rid of food cravings, feel less hungry and lose weight, not that you will lose weight exclusively from your belly.

The programme is about getting enough sleep and exercise and eating and drinking the correct things in the correct amounts to balance your hormones and lose weight. There is a lot of information about hormones and natural rhythms.

The diet starts with three days of Phase 1, called Reset. It is about 1200 calories per day and you eat three healthy, small meals and up to three snacks. To balance your rhythms you are supposed to eat at the same time every day. You can follow their diet plan with recipes or they give you an idea of how many proteins, grains, vegetables, etc go into each meal and snack and you can make up your own using their serving size and food choice lists. You also have an exercise programme involving a 20 minute morning walk and 20 minutes of afternoon toning. After the initial three days, there is Phase 2 Reshape that lasts just over a month. It increases the food allowance to approximately 1500 calories per day. You are still eating three healthy, small meals and up to three snacks. There is a food plan with recipes or once again you have quantities of meal and snack components to make your own.

In the appendices there is a journal that you could photocopy to record your progress.

I have followed the Phase 1 Reset plan as exactly as I could for the past three days and I have lost 4.25 pounds (and yes, I realise it's probably mostly water at this stage). I have been normally hungry at mealtime, but never once been unnaturally hungry. I've not had a craving for anything and the food on the plan is delicious to me. I have been sleeping very well. Yes, I will be continuing this for the next month and beyond.

So, why only four stars if it's so great, tasty and effective?

Well, I can only speak for the Kindle edition at the moment, but for me I think they could have put a bit more effort into what happens after the 35 days. The book has a little bit about incorporating the plan into your life and says that you might want to increase your meals by a few hundred calories to maintain until you start gaining, but I feel that this is just not enough. It feels like I got quite an in-depth grounding on hormones, healthy eating, sleep and exercise and then got left flat wondering what to do next. I'll figure it out, but I would have liked a little more. Also, I've had to take my own major decisions as well, like do I have artificial sweetener and black coffee/tea or not? (I do).

Pro:
It works for me.
Ingredients are not weird, provided you can get beyond the Americanisms
Doesn't have many strict rules.
Don't have to count calories.
Weighing/measuring is the normal amount I'd do anyway.
Food is delicious and when necessary my meal can form a portion of what I cook for my family, eg
I can pad out soup for lunch with crusty bread for my husband.
Exercise is not difficult.

Con:
It's very American and I've had a chore substituting some things, eg
fat free ricotta becomes virtually fat free cottage cheese, texmati rice becomes Uncle Bens wholegrain
- not impossible, but thought required.
I work full time and travel a lot so it hasn't always been easy to follow the plan and eat what and when I'm
supposed to. (In fairness if I didn't follow their food plan/recipes this would be easier.)

Cons for some people:
If you are allergic or object to eating grains and/or dairy this is probably NOT the diet for you.
Little info regarding things like drinks, artificial sweetener, etc. The book does say that there are no lists of rules, etc. Some people might find this off-putting.
The diet is not about processed food so there is some cooking required.

It summary, for me, I think this is a great diet that has stopped me picking at biscuits and sweets and eating ingredients while I'm fixing meals. It works so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works overall in early November.

I sincerely wish the best to anyone reading this who's struggling with their weight.

Colette's Cakes
Colette's Cakes
by Colette Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration in spades!, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Colette's Cakes (Hardcover)
Colette Peters certainly has talent and some great ideas. True to her website and her other books, the cakes in this book are no less spectacular although in this book they are perhaps a bit more serious, a bit more elegant. Therefore perhaps they are not to everyone's taste (although I fail to see how a cake-and-fondant easy chair or perfectly detailed cake cactus complete with thorns is dated). It's 155 pages, A4 size so I'm not sure about it being small. In comparison to the other cake decorating books I have it makes the grade pretty well.

The book starts with a list of tools, then some of Colette's recipes and then gets in to basic techniques, which are accompanied by step-by-step line drawings (rather than photos in order to provide enough contrast to clearly see what to do). Each of the cakes is photographed in full, delicious, inspiring colour. Patterns and instructions are line-drawn for reference and for transferring. Instructions are clear and can be easily related back to the basic techniques. It is an American book so recipes are in cups, etc. There are also references to wax paper, etc. However this isn't an insurmountable hurdle if anyone is serious enough.

The cakes are divided into Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced sections. The one criticism I have is that by "Beginner" it is pretty clear from the cakes that Collette does not mean square-one-never-done-this-before type beginner. A confident beginner might be inspired to have a go with good results. A bit of knowledge of how to roll and cover with fondant would help. The language is encouraging and easy to understand. Someone with experience should have no trouble with most if not all of the cakes in this book.

I bought the book for inspiration for a golden wedding cake I've been asked to do and I'm certainly not disappointed, but I do a lot of baking and decorating of various edibles. I'll definitely be experimenting with loads of Colette's patterns and techniques to progress my own designs.

EyeCatchShoes - Womens Paris T-Bar Glitz Shoes Black Size 5
EyeCatchShoes - Womens Paris T-Bar Glitz Shoes Black Size 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort and Cost Effective, 23 Jan 2011
I bought these shoes for a friend's swing-era themed birthday party. They were not expensive so I figured I might just get through the night without either ruining them or my feet if I didn't dance too much. I was amazed at how comfortable they are. They are an absolutely perfect fit for me and very nice sparkly, party shoes. I recently wore them to a wedding and danced all night long without a pinch or a mishap. These shoes have been very good value for me.

The Cloud Searchers (Amulet)
The Cloud Searchers (Amulet)
by Kazu Kibuishi

5.0 out of 5 stars Get those children reading, 23 Jan 2011
I have two grandsons who would much rather be playing on the Wii than reading a book. When their father was a similar age I discovered graphic novels. While I understand the lobby of purists who would rather have their kids reading Quo Vadis at age 12, I also believe that some kids just aren't built that way. As their father is now a voracious reader I thought it might be an idea to gently steer my grandkids towards reading in the same way I encouraged their dad. It seems to have worked pretty well so far and at Christmas the little one could be found on the top step of my stairway reading this graphic novel. It might not be Shakespeare, but it's certainly a start.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2011 12:38 AM GMT

Sam Hawkins Cross Stitch Seasons: Over 150 Designs
Sam Hawkins Cross Stitch Seasons: Over 150 Designs
by Sam Hawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully Now I'll Finish It......, 23 Jan 2011
I started a sampler from this book several years ago as a gift for my brother. The pattern had originally come from a magazine and I had misplaced it. I was delighted to find the book still available and at a price that couldn't be beat! The transaction was smooth and the book arrived in a timely fashion. Hopefully now I'll be able to find the time to complete the sampler for my brother. Sam Hawkins' patterns are timeless and beautiful so it's just down to me now. (I genuinely like the patterns; I'm not his relative ;-))

Page: 1 | 2