Profile for The Nige > Reviews

A Farewell To Kings
A Farewell To Kings
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 5.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cover, which side one more than lives up to, 12 July 2010
This review is from: A Farewell To Kings (Audio CD)
This was the first Rush album that I bought as an impressionable teenager. I loved the artwork and was fittingly blown away by side one. That dreamy medieval guitar intro to the title track, soothing your senses before those fast and thumping rock rhythms blast you away. Great lyrics from the prof's pen too. Xanadu - a peerless production, blending Lerxst's hypnotic arpeggios with prof's haunting percussion and Geddy's flutey synth. Absolutely phenomenal. I have always had a soft spot for Madrigal, but the rest of the album (although extremely good) struggles to meet the standards set by side one. But then very little could!

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of pure genius, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake (Audio CD)
"Are you seated comftibold two square on the botty? Then I'll begin..." This album is an absolute joy from start to finish. Superbly psychedelic, soulful and wonderfully comic. A fast moving piece that will lift your spirits time and again. I learned Unwin's narrative and used it to woo my missus - I might need to revisit it in an attempt to save my marriage...

Fables Of The Reconstruction (The I.R.S. Years Vintage)
Fables Of The Reconstruction (The I.R.S. Years Vintage)
Price: 6.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be considered their best work, 9 July 2010
Fables (on audio cassette) was the soundtrack to my holiday on the isle of Mull in the mid nineties. I hadn't heard it prior to the trip, and since that trip have never stopped listening to it. It is simply a series of great, catchy songs that together paint a wonderful image of the deep south. It only takes a few listens to get hooked. Kahoutek, arguably the weakest track on the album, is still one of my favourites! A mixture of brooding (Feeling Gravity's Pull, Old Man Kensey, Kahoutek, Wendell Gee), melodic (Maps and Legends, Driver 8, Green Grow The Rushes, Good Advices) and upbeat (Life and How To Live It, Can't Get There From Here) numbers. Stipe's lyrics are amazing - they are more intelligible than on the first two albums and (far from being obscure) tend to tell a story. Simply a sublime experience!

Moving Pictures
Moving Pictures
Price: 5.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Some classics - worth buying just for The Red Barchetta, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Moving Pictures (Audio CD)
Back in the early 80s I bought all of Rush's albums up to and including Exit Stage Left. Apart from that superb double live album, every studio album had something in common - I generally loved about 50% of the tracks (and liked or tolerated the others). I stopped buying their stuff when I perceived a change of direction with Signals. I rediscovered them in recent years through the R30 DVD and Snakes and Arrows. Moving Pictures, for me, was probably their most consistent studio album up to that point - Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ and Witch Hunt are my stand-out tracks, and the others are pretty good (I've never really taken to Limelight). As for Peart's lyrics, they can be hit or miss but the story of The Red Barchetta is wonderfully told! What you always get with Rush is virtuoso musicianship, and it is certainly showcased here as much as anywhere else.

Queen II
Queen II
Offered by ajdiscs
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They never got any better than this, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Queen II (Audio CD)
I appreciated most of Queen's material 25 years ago. These days I find it largely uninspiring, but Queen II is the one album that I play time and time again. This is prog rock at its best (but strangely it didn't feature in Prog Rock magazine's recent list of that genre's 50 best albums of all time). I suppose it may have been classified as "glam rock", but you will struggle to find such a blend of creative and imaginative lyrics and quality musicianship anywhere. Freddie's black side showcases his genius, whilst Brian's songs on side one are my personal favourites. This album deserves your full attention - time and again!

Monster
Monster
Price: 5.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Something very different, but equally as special, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Monster (Audio CD)
Back in 1993 Automatic For The People was the first REM album I got into. A superb, mellow, heart warming experience start to finish, something that surely could not be improved upon. To maintain their standards Stipe and co decided to follow it up with something completely different, but equally as good. From gentle accoustic harmonies to "in yer face" grunge (could there be a more apt title than "Monster"?). I loved What's The Frequency when I first heard it (when the video was premiered) and subsequently loved every song on the album. Every REM album is unique and special - this album is no exception. In contrast to some other reviewers I reckon King of Comedy and Circus Envy are superb tracks that fit right in. Let Me In is phenomenal, their simplest musical composition but as emotionally powerful as anything I've ever heard. These guys have never let me down.