Profile for susannah > Reviews

Content by susannah

susannah

Page: 1 | 2
Reform Your Inner Mean Girl: 7 Steps to Stop Bullying Yourself and Start Loving Yourself
by Amy Ahlers

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 29 Jun. 2015
I've followed Christine and Amy for years, including Wake Up Call Wednesdays, Love Letters and of course the fabulous Inner Mean Girl Reform School. This book is based on that school, bringing it all together in a handy-sized book, and I love it.
It's not preachy or pompous, or full of long words.... it's fun, it's easy to read and it's full, full, full of 'OMG that's ME' moments.
If you want to learn something about your Inner Mean Girl(s), how to manage them, and how to turn them from saboteurs to supporters, read this .... and yep, we do all have at least one.
(and if you think you're the exception, then you must read it to find out which IMG is telling you so).
You'll learn more than you can imagine about yourself and you'll have lots of fun on the way.

Doodle Journal: My Life in Scribbles (Klutz)
Doodle Journal: My Life in Scribbles (Klutz)
by Elise Gravel
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 30 Dec. 2014
Book's fine. Shame the kooky pen that comes with it doesn't work properly.

Gold in Tüten: Krimikomödie (German Edition)
Gold in Tüten: Krimikomödie (German Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Eccentric, daft, chaotic. Great fun. I loved it!, 24 Nov. 2014
This book totally undermines the image of the dour, humourless, organised and unimaginative German.
Where DID that unfair reputation come from anyway?
This is totally daft, but great fun. The plot (yep, there really is one underneath all the chaos) is complicated but well-thought through and keeps the energy bubbling over right to the end.
I loved it!

Look Who's Back
Look Who's Back

4.0 out of 5 stars Who said satire is dead?, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Look Who's Back (Kindle Edition)
Who'd a thought it? A book written in the first person by one A. Hitler.
It seems he didn't shuffle off this mortal coil after all, he was only sleeping. He wakes up in Berlin in 2011 (not a day older but hey, there'd be no story if he was in his dotage would there?), rubs his eyes, gets up and looks around.
Some of 21st Century life he find's baffling, but he picks it up quickly enough, and it's clear to him that the world needs him again, and of course, he's ready and willing.....
But, those around him just think he's the best Hitler impersonator ever - they see him as a comedian who truly 'lives' the part. He doesn't realise that tho', he's just being himself. What's interesting is how plausible and reasonable, maybe even wise, some of his pronouncements appear in isolation. (A bit like Peter's Sellars' Chance the Gardener in Being There). And his thoughts seem plausible too, as he battles with the modern world around him..
It's very funny, and scary too.
I'd 've given it 4.5 stars if I could (I can't tell you what the missing half-a-star's about tho', 'cos that would spoil it....)

How to Self-Promote without Being a Jerk
How to Self-Promote without Being a Jerk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pick-me-up when the world's gettin' you down ..., 1 May 2014
If you've read all the books & the blogs & the magazines about marketing and self-presentation and 'how to get ahead in the cut-throat world of big business' and all that kind of stuff, then nothing in this book will really come as a surprise.
BUT it's short, it's to the point, it's light-hearted, very easy to read, full of practical tips, so it's great to pick up and read through, just to remind yourself of some of those things that you do know really, but you've maybe filed them away in that dusty archive in the back of your head.
I've got it on my Kindle. I read a bit occasionally, have a bit of a smile, and feel a bit better about me, and that cut-throat world, for the rest of the day.

Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection
by A. J. Jacobs

4.0 out of 5 stars The absurdity of it all...., 7 Mar. 2014
Like A J, I wanna be fit and healthy, and yeah, sure I'll do whatever it takes (within reason of course. As long as it doesn't cost me to-o-o-o much, in money, in pain, in time, in effort. Like most of us), So, what to do?
Cos if you follow ALL the advice, as A J shows, firstly you'll get dizzy, bouncing all the way from a to z and back again, cos the advice is many-times contradictory; secondly if you're serious about this, it'll take over your life; AND, thirdly, you'll look a right idiot - see the picture of A J on the back cover of the print book. Do YOU want to go out looking like that? In public??
But hey, maybe ... what if it works????
And that's where A J comes in, bless him. Cos he tries it. All. One bit at a time. And it's hilarious. I love A J,. If you enjoy dry New York wit, add in A J's totally daft approach to the challenge (and the reactions of his long-suffering wife), mix it with his journalist's writing skills and ... enjoy the ride!!
(I doubt you'll get any fitter. But you might be a bit wiser. And you'll have had a lotta fun :-) ).

Collins Concise German-English Dictionary (German Edition)
Collins Concise German-English Dictionary (German Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars On Kindle this makes life SO much easier, 2 Mar. 2014
On download, it puts itself automatically into the Dictionaries folder,
then, when you highlight a word in a text, it brings up the definition, in an instant.
If you're reading a paper book, just open the dictionary and type in the word in the Search.
Magic!
The only reason I've not given it 5 stars is that is doesn't have all the words / alternative meanings that I've looked for - but then I've been reading Jakob Arjouni (fabulous!) who has a very creative way with words & street slang so I didn't really expect to find all of them.

The Jewels of Paradise
The Jewels of Paradise
by Donna Leon

1.0 out of 5 stars Did they really kill a few trees for this??, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Jewels of Paradise (Paperback)
If you are drawn to this because you love the Brunetti stories, save your money. Read the back of the cornflakes packet instead.
This is dreadful.
It's turgid, dry as dust, somehow pretentious and condescending at the same time, long-winded, humourless and yes, boring.
If Leon was thinking to emulate Josephine Tey's wonderful Daughter of Time she's singularly and boringly failed.
It needs a good editor - at least 100 pages could go and wouldn't be missed. Actually, make that 200. No, 290.
But I guess no editor dare to mess with an author of Leon's stature. Did she really write this??
Frankly if it were her first book, I can't believe any self-respecting publisher would touch it.
Read Magdalen Nabb instead. Or Valerio Varesi. Or Carofiglio. Or the great Camilleri of course.
Don't waste your time on this.

Anti-Judaism
Anti-Judaism

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Anti-Judaism (Kindle Edition)
Being a rather large book (600+ pages) I bought the Kindle version, so I happened to take it with me on a long plane journey.
So as it was there, I thought I'd make a start, read maybe 30 pages, then move on to something more relaxing.
Well, I read this throughout the plane journey, and carried on reading it in my spare time throughout my trip and on the way home too.
It's totally gripping. I'd plan to read to the end of the chapter, then I'd see the enticing heading / first paragraphs of the next chapter and on I'd go...
I've read a lot about (some eras of) Jewish & Middle East history but this beats the lot. ..the scope, the angle he takes, the relaxed writing style. Some of the historical ages I know little about, but even on the eras that I thought I did know a bit about, he still manages to open my eyes just a little bit wider.
It's a book of history. It's not making any political points that I can see, and all the better for that. You can read, learn and be wiser and hopefully more enlightened for reading it.

Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography
Going to Sea in a Sieve: The Autobiography
by Danny Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy, 2 Aug. 2013
I don't read autobiographies, one long ego trip for the writer, one long yawn for the reader.
EXCEPT (every rule has an exception eh), I love Danny Baker on the radio, was gutted when he quit the breakfast show, mornings just aren't the same (don't know much about his TV career, and NME? Never read it), but he has the most exuberant joyous way with words that - effortlessly it seems - makes everything come alive.
He's not pretentious, is working class and proud of it (from back in the day when working class WAS something to be proud of, not just to be), and from the way he tells it, his life has always been FUN. Which as can been seen in the book is as much about his attitude as about life itself. A lesson for us all. And a fabulous roller-coaster boisterous hilarious heartwarming lesson it is too. It's as unputdownable as any thriller, tmes were, I couldn't stop laughing..
Fabulous.