Profile for Mr. A. N. W. Jackson > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. N. W. J...

Mr. A. N. W. Jackson (Sheffield, UK)

Unseen Academicals: A Discworld Novel
Unseen Academicals: A Discworld Novel
by Terry Pratchett
Price: 13.29

2.0 out of 5 stars In no danger of becoming a classi.c, 12 Jan 2010
Let me start by saying that I am a Terry Pratchett fan. I've been reading his books since I was a kid. Over the years I have loved the way he has created such a rich environment of the Discworld. This book however was very out of keeping with his usual style. This book lacks the usual spark of creative genius he normally musters. The story line is very fractious, moving about all over the place never allowing any one part of the plot to develop into anything interesting. New characters are introduced but are very 2D in comparison to the ones we are accustomed to. It was shame that great characters like Rincewind are vague background characters, mentioned occasionally in passing. Slightly confused why the cover has The Luggage on it as it is mentioned once in the whole book. Pratchett does manage to muster a half decent ending to the whole tale which slightly makes up for the fact that the previous 4/5's of the book could have been written by anyone else. I am still however holding out for the next book as I know Terry is a great writer at heart.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2011 10:20 PM GMT