Profile for Sophia Cook > Reviews

Sophia Cook

Kabul Traffic: An Afghan Tale of Drugs, Diplomacy and the Devil
Kabul Traffic: An Afghan Tale of Drugs, Diplomacy and the Devil

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read!, 13 Jan. 2015
Kabul Traffic is truly remarkable for a debut novel. Early on, I was engrossed in the human drama and insoluble tangle of the Afghan situation. The richness of language and description took me right into the setting so that I found my mind constantly returning to the book even when I wasn't reading.

Sandra Khadhouri shows great depth of understanding of Afghani tribal and foreign interests and the resulting conflicts. Through the main character's experiences, she describes complex games of smoke and mirrors. Nothing is, in the end, quite what it seemed and as the plot progresses the knowledge that this is always the case increases the suspense which is woven through the entire story.

Adam, the main protagonist, is a flawed, yet strangely attractive man, who develops a strong sense of mission as a junior diplomat in Afghanistan. He soon discovers that counter-narcotics is tougher than expected.

Kabul Traffic is multilayered: on the one hand an innocent story of cross-cultural love and on the other, a deeply analytical political thesis. Laugh-out-loud humour and despair in equal measures.

Breathe
Breathe

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Breathe (Kindle Edition)
This is a marvelous book which I really enjoyed and would reccomend. it is about a world withoutoxygen where everyone is trapped in a glass pod.

Tonight on the Titanic (Magic Tree House Book 17)
Tonight on the Titanic (Magic Tree House Book 17)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack and Annie go to the tree house, 10 Aug. 2013
if your A fan of Annie and Jack kick it on because I think there the best books ever! do you too? WOW there scary, but I warn you what will we read when we have read all the books .

Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian
Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian

5.0 out of 5 stars artemis fowl & the last guardian, 8 Aug. 2013
Very good, but not as good as the other artemis fowl books. Could do with another sequence. If you like the artemis fowl books I recomend airman and the wish list.

Aladdin 0.95 Litre Bento Lunchbox, Blue
Aladdin 0.95 Litre Bento Lunchbox, Blue
Offered by KG Homewares

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice design but doesn't keep food warm, 24 Sept. 2010
This lunchbox is a very nice design. Unfortunately I really needed it to keep food warm for the full 5 hours, as promised, and it failed to do this. Despite pre-heating with hot water for 20 mins before adding the food, my son's meal was absolutely cold by lunchtime. I have had to buy another make of insulated lunchbox.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2013 5:28 PM GMT