Profile for MaggyannS > Reviews

Content by MaggyannS

MaggyannS

The Anne Boleyn Collection: The Real Truth about the Tudors: A collection of fascinating articles on Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII and Tudor history
by Claire Ridgway
Price: 7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with this book, 25 April 2012
The Anne Boleyn Files is a great site to visit and wonderful resource for all things Anne Boleyn. The 'collection' in book form is a brilliant idea making it easy to track down that elusive bit of information without having to search the site itself (mainly because when you start searching for one thing you get diverted by so many other interesting snippets you lose track of time). I love the way Claire's writing comes across, it is more like sitting down with a coffee for a good chat than reading stuffy facts. I like the cover layout and the book format. I am so looking forward to Claire's next offering. I would definitely recommend the Anne Boleyn Collection to anyone interested in the woman herself and all the background shenanigans to her life and death. I would also recommend Claire's site 'the Anne Boleyn Files' online, a great community and place of discovery for Anne 'fans'.

The 5 Title C J Sansom CD Boxset
The 5 Title C J Sansom CD Boxset
by C. J. Sansom
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 28.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I knew it would be this good..., 19 Jan 2011
I ordered this boxed set because I have read all the books and loved them. Matthew Shardlake, his times and his adventures are up near the top on my list of favourite reading. The idea of having someone read these wonderful stories to me in succession was too great to be ignored. I was not disappointed. Read by Anton Lesser I simply wallowed in my enjoyment. Matthew and his eventual sidekick Barak have their story told from Dissolution right through to Heartstone (which I have to be honest and say is my least favourite of the tales). The stories are set in Tudor England and are a clever mix of fact and fiction where we meet at various times such characters as Henry VIII, Catherine Parr, Katherine Howard, Jane Boleyn, Cromwell - the cast is huge. I would thoroughly recommend this boxed set to anyone who enjoys historical fiction. CJ Sansom's book have each been beautifully produced and are a joy to look at on the bookshelf this boxed set of CDs does not disappoint. It is just as well packaged, coming in a single chunky box containing the individually sleeved discs the whole fitting in comfortably with the books on the shelf. An excellent choice and with 30 discs giving over 35 hours of CJ Sansom's brilliantly put together stories this is, to my mind, a great bargain.

The books should be read in this order
Dissolution (Shardlake)
Dark Fire (Shardlake)
Sovereign (Shardlake)
Revelation (Shardlake)
Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2011 12:05 AM GMT