Profile for Miss S. L. Riley > Reviews

Content by Miss S. L. Riley

Miss S. L. Riley "Stacey UK" (UK)

Anker® T320 Ultrathin (4mm) Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for iOS (iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad 2 / 3 / 4), Windows and Android 3.0 and above OS with Built-in lithium battery / Aluminum Body
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Keyboard, 16 Jun 2014
I really like this keyboard. It's light and responsive. It types well and it allows me to type for long periods on my tablet. I am really pleased that this keyboard is configured for Android and Windows as well as iOS as I have an Android tablet. Establishing a bluetooth connection to your device is easy as long as you follow the instructions.

I recommend that you use the sticky feet provided with the keyboard to stop it moving when typing. I have a sticky in each corner with four in the middle, as suggested in another review. I also suggest a case or cover for this keyboard to stop the shiny back becoming scratched.

Tin Cat
Tin Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars No Cats were harmed during this story!!!, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Tin Cat (Kindle Edition)
Misa Buckley is known for her memorable characters and hot sex scenes in her stories and Tin Cat is no exception! What sets this title apart from others is that the main character Amber Gerald, comic geek and store owner, has a disability resulting from an accident that happened a year earlier. As I have a disability who uses a wheelchair myself it is so refreshing to have a main character that has disabilities. People with disabilities are usually relegated to the role of sidekick in stories so its nice to have someone front and centre. Misa avoids the common fictional trope for disabled characters where they are full of woe about their situations and full of self pity. Amber Gerald is an independent woman before her accident and injury and she continues to be so after her accident as she still a successful business woman. Her comic store must make a lot of money though as Amber seemed to have found the money for the adaptions she needed for her store and home pretty quickly! This detail does not detract from the story but it was a detail I wondered about having adaptions myself and knowing how expensive this can be. Amber is a fully realised character and her vulnerabilities are sensitively depicted when dealing with having a disability and her concerns with becoming intimate with Gray. This gives the story a realistic touch as Amber is still coming to terms with her injuries and the consequences a year on from having her accident.

However, Amber's disability does not dominate the story in Tin Cat as it is primarily a romance novel. The interactions between the two leads have real frisson and it is really enjoyable to spend time in their company, and yes they do have sex. This is one of the best things about this tale from my point of view as too often disabled people are viewed as asexual. Amber on the other hand is sexy and sensual. Gray is your typical brooding handsome stranger from the future. Other characters are also memorable. My favourite is Cat who is not in many scenes but steals every scene that she's in! Special mentions should also go to the physiotherapist and Sharon, Amber's best friend. The female characters are the ones that left the most striking impression on me in this story.

The weakest part of Tin Cat is the plot itself as its the standard `man and woman fall in love while trying to save the world' albeit with a sci-fi twist. It feels like a snapshot of a much larger story. There is so much potential for expanding this story into novel length. The strong characters however make up for this and when the story ends you'll be sad to see them go.

"How To Write Your First Business Plan": With Outline and Templates Book (First Timer's Guide: 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells you what you need to know, 1 Feb 2013
I'm thinking about writing my first business plan and this told me everything I need to know without bamboozling me. Each section of the business plan in this book is broken down into smaller chunks and lists the things you need to think about a business plan. It is clearly laid out and easy to follow. What marks this book out from its competitors are two things. The first is that it isn't just US centric as it does with the different legal types of UK business as well as US counterparts. The author also offers free spreadsheets to help you complete the financial section of the business plan which I received today via email.

The Gentle Way: A Self-Help Guide for Those Who Believe in Angels
The Gentle Way: A Self-Help Guide for Those Who Believe in Angels

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gentle Way for Self Improvement, 3 Aug 2012
I really love this book. Tom T Moore explains this simple yet powerful tool in a really accessible way. I have found that this technique has allowed me to improved my life by taking care of the smaller things and life becomes easier and more gentle, hence the title! There are lots of examples in this book you can use and apply in your own life. The framework is so easy to use you will soon be making your own Most Benevolent Outcomes and Benevolent (Living) Prayers.

Tricked Truths
Tricked Truths

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Tricked Truths (Kindle Edition)
I was expecting the standard fare when I picked up this book as a free title. The characters and the plot both had me hooked. There were excellent plot twists, but they were well thought out and were not just for shock value. I loved the character development and how the main characters' perceptions were changed about their love/hate relationship as more secrets are revealed. The book ended in a good place, but I was so hooked by the characters that I am longing for a sequel!

I read this in about three days as I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

Ding Dong the Diva's Dead
Ding Dong the Diva's Dead

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not over until the Diva Dies..., 19 July 2012
Ding Dong the Diva's Dead I purchased this book when it available for free on 16 Jul 2012. I really enjoyed this book as it was written with a sense of humour. I'm not too familiar with the world of opera but the author gives enough flavour of that world to keep me connected with the story. My only real criticism is that the pace is a little uneven. It feels that a lot of time is spent establishing the characters and plot but the ending feels a little rushed with the reveal of the murderer and the romantic subplots. I would like a few more pages spent on these. Maybe the author is planning a sequel.

Saying that, I am looking forward to more titles from Cat Melodia.

Screenwriting Goldmine
Screenwriting Goldmine

4.0 out of 5 stars Screenwriting Goldmine is a gem!, 13 Dec 2011
Screenwriting Goldmine is a gem but it helps to be clear about what you are getting. The Screenwriting Goldmine is about producing a first draft of a script or screenplay, not editing or marketing the final product. One thing it doesn't cover is the different layout settings used in different script formats. I think the author assumes that you will be using screen writing software to produce your draft. This is a not a system designed to peddle an author's expensive screen writing software but a genuine process to idea to draft. The only software the goldmine recommends that you use are:
a) word processor
b) spreadsheet
c) screenwriting software such as Final Draft.

It takes you from generating ideas to producing a first draft. What makes this different is this system gives you tools to use and apply, rather than paradigms to slavishly follow. My favourite tools are the beat sheet and character design sheets. What I especially like about is that it isn't just focused on producing scripts for Hollywood movies and the US industry, but also TV. The author Philip Gladwin works in the UK, and for those of us who would like to work in UK industry this is a bonus as many titles just focus on the US industry.

I have found this to be one of the most helpful resources on screen writing. The only reason I've given it four stars instead of five is because it doesn't cover editing the draft into a more polished product.

What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
by Anne Bernays

5.0 out of 5 stars What If? Exercises that expand your imagination, 17 May 2010
I found 'What If?' a really useful book. The exercises within the book are divided into different sections focusing on a particular aspect of writing, for example, beginning a story and characterisation. Each section is introduced explaining the benefits of looking at the topic. Exercises are numbered, and have their own introduction, explaining a little of the theory. This is followed by the exercise itself with examples from well known works. At the end the authors give the objective of each exercise and student examples. Each exercise is clearly laid out with headings making it easier to digest the information.

The authors give you a lot of information, but only enough to make the points that they are making, and is accessible even to novice writers. The weakest section of the book is the one that deals with plot. The authors admit they focus on characterisation, and plot derives from that.

Even though the exercises are numbered, you don't have to do them in order, and is possible to dip in and out as each exercise is self contained. Some exercises can take five minutes, others hours, some are even ongoing. The book is like having a creative writing course at your fingertips! One that you can do at your own pace, and personalise to meet your needs.

This book delivers in what it sets out to do: Writing exercises for fiction writers. It doesn't cover topics such as editing/revision or how to get published. It contains a wealth of useful information for people who write fiction. I would recommend it, especially at this price.

Broken Sword Trilogy (PC)
Broken Sword Trilogy (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth shelling out, 19 Nov 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The graphics maybe considered a little dated but the gameplay is great. The story is enagaging with dialogue that can make you smile. Nearly finished Broken Sword and cannot wait to start the sequel.

Best thing about this release however, is that it works on a Vista machine My laptop runs Vista Service Pack 1.