Profile for Acton > Reviews

Content by Acton

Acton "I Am Acton" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
X-Men: First Class - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
X-Men: First Class - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ James McAvoy
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The best XMEN film so far, 26 Aug 2011
I think this is the best XMEN film so far. And it is all down to one man......Michael Fassbender. If he isn't the next James Bond then I'm moving to a parallel universe. He lifts the XMEN FIRST CLASS film to a whole new level. Bizarely his Irish accent comes out in the very final scene but I'm sure he has his reasons for it!
Great film. Good story, impressive action, fantastic music and a sense of style. Looking forward to owning this on blu-ray. It's a keeper.

You Are The Quarry
You Are The Quarry
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Morrissey's Finest Albums, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: You Are The Quarry (Audio CD)
You Are The Quarry ranks alongside Viva Hate, Vauxhall, and Your Arsenal as one of Morrissey's finest albums. Every song is a gem, with nothing wasted. As you can see from the cover Moz isn't taking any prisoners with this one. Those only familiar with the big selling singles ('first of the gang to die', 'Irish Blood English Heart') will be happy to find that all of the songs are of similar quality, with standouts for me being 'America is not the world', 'all the lazy dykes', and 'I have forgiven Jesus'. Standout album that earns each of it's five stars.

Maladjusted
Maladjusted
Price: 6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Readjusted, 24 Aug 2011
This review is from: Maladjusted (Audio CD)
This is a vastly under-rated album and the re-issue brings it to another level. Featuring some of the best bsides from the Maladjusted period and reordering album tracks, the album feels complete now. I'd have preferred if they'd left 'Papa Jack' on the re-issue but I guess you can't have everything. Was good to finally hear 'sorrow will come in the end' on cd. I am not a fan of re-issues and re-imaginings of albums but I'll make an exception for this one. The track listing and re-mastering is very good and the packaging is nice too, with a hugely improved cover shot of Morrissey. Nice album and a pleasure to listen to in it's entirety. I have the original album too but find that I'm listening more to the re-issue than I ever did when Maladjusted first came out.

Love Is Dead [Single] [CD #2]
Love Is Dead [Single] [CD #2]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great song from a great singer/songwriter, 6 July 2011
I wanted to balance the negativity of the previous one star review by giving this song 4 stars. The song itself is great and the Brett Anderson album that it comes from is also well worth listening to.

Setting Sons
Setting Sons
Price: 5.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Setting Sons (Audio CD)
Superlative album that's been treated very well by the remastering process. It sounds fresh and clean and contains some of the best Jam tracks ever. This is a must-have for any Jam fans. I had this album on vinyl and am really glad that I bought it on cd. Fantastic album at a great price.

Sound Affects
Sound Affects

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible remaster of a fantastic album, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
I've given this two stars because the remastering is terrible and unforgivable. All of the songs on the album sound very tinny and are actually unpleasant to listen to. I wish I had opted for the non-deluxe version of this. The remastered version sounds worse than my cassette tape copy from the 80's. I didn't recognise 'That's Entertainment' even though I've heard it hundreds of times probably, but on this cd it sounds crap; like it was played on one tape recorder and recorded on another tape recorder through a strip of metal.
Of course 'Sound Affects' is a fantastic album but this remastered version of it should be avoided. I'm surprised Weller let them get away with the useless sound quality but maybe he had no say in the matter.
On a more positive note: the second disc (of demos etc) seems to have been decently remastered and can be listened to. I am very disappointed with the album disc though and regret buying it. Seems strange that a 'deluxe' album would sound this bad.

Studio 150
Studio 150
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 4.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Studio 150 (Audio CD)
I love most of Weller's albums but was disappointed with this. I tend to listen to 'All along the watchtower' and skip the other songs on this cd of cover versions. Buy 'Illumination' or '22 Dreams' instead.

People Move On
People Move On
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.72

1.0 out of 5 stars People Move On and Don't Buy This, 20 April 2011
This review is from: People Move On (Audio CD)
I'm sorry, I've never rated anything this bad before but I hate this album so much I think I'll smash it up, melt it, and bury it in a skip somewhere. I wouldn't recycle it in case it comes back somehow to haunt me. A total disappointment. I love Suede and the work Butler has done with McAlmont and Duffy, and The Tears, but can not listen to this album. Shockingly bad tunes and he just can't sing. I can appreciate that he left Suede and wanted to set up his own career but seriously....just cos you're a fantastic guitarist means that you can sing. It is the only cd in my collection that makes me shudder when I see it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2012 1:45 PM GMT

The Jam At The BBC
The Jam At The BBC
Price: 11.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamtastic, 6 April 2011
This review is from: The Jam At The BBC (Audio CD)
Fantastic double cd featuting a great variety of Jam tunes. Some tunes appear more than once (different recordings of course) so perhaps they could have replaced those songs with others, but this is still a great double cd and sounds great in the car on a rainy drive.

The Talisman: Road of Trials v. 1 (Talisman Vol 1)
The Talisman: Road of Trials v. 1 (Talisman Vol 1)
by Stephen King
Price: 7.92

3.0 out of 5 stars For completists only, 6 April 2011
Although you can not fault the quality of the art or the pace of the story, I felt unsatisfied after chewing it up. I'm not sure that the comic/graphic novel adds anything to what you've already imagined from reading The Talisman novel. This volume 1 is just too short and takes approx 20 minutes to read. It was too fleeting a pleasure to warrant spending much money on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6