Profile for I. M. Hawley > Reviews

Content by I. M. Hawley

I. M. Hawley (Sheffield, England)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Oct. 2014
Sturdy, holes in sensible places, easy to fit. It's a bracket, light fits snugly in it - no complaints!

Cooler Master RC-650L-KKN1 Silencio 650 P USB3.0 ATX Case
Cooler Master RC-650L-KKN1 Silencio 650 P USB3.0 ATX Case

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Case I was Expecting..., 2 Jan. 2014
I bought this case for myself, as my brother had bought the same Silencio 650 for a machine I built for him. That case came with a 700W 'Silent' PSU, had a switch inside to swap two internal SATA connections (perhaps for dual-booting without needing a bootloader). It also had a SATA bay for hotswap. The PCI connectors were also plastic, tool free.

So I knew the case wasn't coming with a PSU, but I kind of expected it to be the same case. Okay, it's a different model I guess, so that's on me, however at £80, the case is no longer great value for money without these other things, so it loses a star.

In addition the quality felt a little less robust and so it loses another star. The grill on the bottom having broken mesh upon arrival. The cables from the front fans also felt a bit weedy by comparison.

It is however a nice case to work on with easy load bays for the 3.5" slots, the automatic runners you can clip on and slide the drives in, screw free.

It is however, expensive, so I'd recommend shopping around or buying the version with the PSU (£130 on eBuyer, couldn't find it on Amazon).

CiT 850W 12cm Silent Fan Dual Rail Power Supply - Black Edition
CiT 850W 12cm Silent Fan Dual Rail Power Supply - Black Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for typical usage, 28 Dec. 2013
In my opinion, most people buying a 850W PSU are going to need some fairly basic connectors:

1. A 4+4 pin Motherboard connector
2. 1 x 6 pin PCIE power connector
3. 1 x 6+2 pin PCIE power connector

Now I have since seen in the blurb that the unit comes with a single 4 pin mono connector an a single 6+2 PCIE power connector. Who would need 850W and not need an 8 or 4+4 pin mobo connector I don't know. The single 6+2 PCIE I can live with as adapters are common, but I don't see a 4 to 8 pin adapter and probably they should be dedicated anyway.

In addition the fan isn't silent.

So, I would steer well clear unless you know it will do your specific job.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2015 6:41 PM BST

Allcam Vesa Adapter for Apple iMac, Cinema and Thunderbolt Display
Allcam Vesa Adapter for Apple iMac, Cinema and Thunderbolt Display

3.0 out of 5 stars Not precise, not worth the risk, or risky for the sake of saving ~£20, 16 Dec. 2013
I recently bought this item (direct) and initially impressed by the unit. However when I came to mount it, it became clear that the large holes at either end were far from accurately aligned and that the middle screw designed to pull the unit into alignment was too soft and because of the machining of the holes at each edge it was almost impossible to screw in the retaining 'bolts'. It as also not clear whether to take the plastic runners off or not - I believe the instructions merely state 'some models' they will need to be off for, but does not list which, not inform you how you might glean that they should be off.

If the Apple equivalent is just as bad as this, then I would say you might as well buy this, but I suspect the Apple unit is considerably better and therefore worth the premium.

Horwood BL29 Tea Spoons, Set of 6, Silver
Horwood BL29 Tea Spoons, Set of 6, Silver
Offered by value-inn

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Chunky, if a little Pricey, 12 Nov. 2013
These are excellent, solid, a good size and nice and chunky - a substantial teaspoon. The box set is quite suitable as a gift, though not overly grand. I've only knocked off a star because they are pricey for what they are, but quality wise, they're now the best teaspoons we own!

Didostore Huion H610 10*6 Inch Graphics Tablets with 8 Hot keys for Mac/Win
Didostore Huion H610 10*6 Inch Graphics Tablets with 8 Hot keys for Mac/Win

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor drivers, Awkward Windows Install, Stop working on OSX Day 2, 4 Nov. 2013
I was delighted to find this tablet initially and very pleased when it arrived with the build quality. However, things went down hill from there...

Installing on a Windows machine I was surprised to find that the drivers on Huion's website were older than the ones on my installation CD. It was also not clear to me, though it may be in the instructions (IT bods are not the best at reading manuals), but the tablet's config panel only appeared in the System Tray if I ran the installer as Administrator. Additionally it would not let me save hotkey assignments, which would have been somewhat limiting.

Once installed, the device worked well, though I am no graphics artist, learning and doing photo editing ATM.

I wanted to use the tablet on my iMac running OSX and it installed fine. As a side note Huion's website was, at the time of purchasing this, claiming that a G4 or G5 iMac (seriously old in other words) were the only supported OSX versions, but Huion's customer service confirmed that it would work fine on my Intel iMac.

Initially things were great and the tablet worked like a treat. Installation was easy and I used it in Photoshop and a demo of Art Rage 4. Sadly, the very next time I plugged the tablet in, all it would do is shoot the mouse pointer off into the bottom right corner. No amount of removing, re-installing, cold starts and reboots would get anything different out of the tablet - it ceased to work. That said, it would still work in Window as I tested it on a Windows 7 VM and it was absolutely fine.

As I wish to use it on my iMac however, I've binned it in favour of a Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch medium, which is well over twice the price, for around half the report rate, sensitive and lines per inch. Still I read good things about it and it comes with around £80 worth of art software!

Aside the not working on my iMac issue, the stylus seemed fine to me, quite chunky, but I didn't mind that. The whole thing was reasonably well built, if a little plasticky. Buttons clicked well and the pen was nice to hold, not too heavy, even given the AAA battery it takes. The tablet surface was smooth and I was able to be precise about my drawing, though I did find I slipped a bit here and there very occasionally and I wonder if I'll prefer a more textured surface.

The experience of installing the software and setting it up was painful and I've wasted hours trying to get it back working. On the plus side Huion have been quick to respond, but nothing has solved the issue.

So, my bottom line is that if you're on Windows 7, then it's worth a go, but remember to install the software as admin (right click, run as admin). There is the issue of the hotkeys not working however.

If you're on a Mac and running OSX, I'd not recommend it given my experience. I guess I am used to things just working and this doesn't. Even if I could resurrect it, I've wasted so much time trying to make it work again, I've lost all confidence with it. Naturally the issue could be with my iMac environment, but in its defence, the iMac had recently had a clean install.... even so...

It's a bit of a gamble, but you might find you've a decent tablet for around £50, but I don't think it's without risk.

Good Luck!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cable, but be careful who you are buying from, only buy from i-Smile!, 19 Oct. 2013
I originally bought my cable from dailydeals_24.7 who were selling a cheap cable that reports that it isn't a certified device, though it did appear to charge the device. i-Smile were getting some bad press (including mine to begin with!) and politely pointed out that their cable works and I couldn't have an i-Smile cable - it must be something else.

As a gesture of goodwill i-Smile sent me a free cable to replace my bogus one and I can report that this works as advertised. It does feel a little stiff compared to my original Apple cable, but given that it costs around £10 less, I'm going to overlook that.

But most of all, NO WARNING. It just works.

But with confidence, but ONLY from i-Smile.

----------------------

Previous Comments review history....

This item is not being advertised accurately. Plugging in the cable immediately displays the not an apple certified device (see my customer image) and so the item will be going back. I will see if it does charge the device, but an existing cable I have that displays this error does NOT charge the device, or does so only intermittently, with no rhyme or reason as to why.

ONLY BUY FROM i-Smile.

[EDIT] Okay, so I have reviewed the product I received from dailydeals_24.7. However, this is probably not the i-Smile. So, after a bit of thoughts, I've upped my review because a 1* review is hurting the i-Smile a little unfairly and the cable continues to work, despite the warning. Additionally, there are multiple vendors selling cables off this product page and undercutting each other. Some, like dailydeals_24.7, are selling a different cable that does not confirm to the specs of the i-Smile cable, presuming it is as good as it reckons to be, so let this review stand as a warning.

[EDIT MK II]
i-Smile are sending me a replacement cable so I will review that shortly, but I am already very confident that the cable will perform as advertised and I've pre-emptively increased my review to 4*. Probably I'll re-assess as to whether it should remain at 4, or go to 5 when it arrives. Heaven forbid it would drop below 4, but I suppose it could.

On the positive side, i-Smile have been extremely helpful and their customer service is excellent.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2013 11:12 AM GMT

JUSTOP JSound 10 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones / Headset With Built-in MIC, Bluetooth V2.1+EDR Supports A2DP, Noise Cancellation, Up to 20 Hours Play Time, Handsfree Feature for mobiles, for use with Apple iTouch, iPad, iPhone, HTC, Sony, Nokia, Samsung Galaxy etc.
Offered by DigiDirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Construction, Noisy Controls, Appalling Audio Quality, does NOT appear to support A2DP - 8Khz mono ONLY, 3 May 2013
I bought these so I could listen to TV shows and movies while exercising.

Here's my experience after all of 10 minutes:

* Product is very cheap. I could somewhat forgive this if it were functional giving the price but it is very plasticky
* I wasn't entirely sure how to put it on (a picture would have been nice)
* Pairing was easy and paired with my iMac without any trouble
* Wearing the device is annoying, it's not uncomfortable, but shake your head lightly and you can hear all the buttons rattling about - not pleasant at all
* Audio quality was abismal. Perhaps I am expecting too much and if so I apologise for slating this review, but the audio was terrible. It sounded like an 8bit 11Khz stream being listened to through a dishcloth.

Needless to say, these are going back immediately.

I've given it two stars because it does work, but it is simply not acceptable to have so many things wrong with it. Clearly I need to purchase something a little more up-market and it'll be interesting to find out whether the audio is as bad on more expensive products.

EDIT:

Having looked into the quality issue I have discovered the A2DP profile is required as a minimum for 48KHz sound and so on my mac I am only getting HSP profile which supports only 8Khz MONO sound which is awful. HSP 1.5 may be better but reading Wikipedia this profile only supports 16Khz mono which is about as rubbish tbh. The back of the product does not mention A2DP, despite the item being advertised as such.

Given that this is advertised as A2DP and a stereo headset I have dropped my rating to 1 star, given that my reading on the subject suggests it is being mis-sold and not fit for purpose.

My reading suggests Apt-X is designed for CD quality audio and I suggest a minimum for any headphones for listening to music/video or playing games. Latency is supposed to be low <5MS from my reading, and on this basis I've ordered some Creative WP-350 and I'll add a review when those arrive (tomorrow).

Creative WP-350 Wireless Bluetooth Headphone with Mic - Black

OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-512G 512GB Vertex 4 Sata III-6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-512G 512GB Vertex 4 Sata III-6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

5.0 out of 5 stars Check the model number carefully!, 17 Dec. 2012
Take care to check the model number carefully. My manager specifically ordered this model:

OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-512G

But received this one:

OCZ VTX4-25SAT3-512G.M

The .M model is using Micron flash not Intel and is a slower model - although nobody has mentioned just how much slower.

I have the correct model now, and it seems hugely fast, faster than the Crucial model a colleague has on comparable long running, disk heavy operations.

Of interest, our order was fulfilled by Amazon but sold by a different company, so I don't know if this was a genuine error or whether I should be cynical about the third party vendor - note that the .M model can be had for £310 so be careful.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Train your Own Dragon, 7 Jan. 2012
I'll keep this short, in as much as I recently read in Writing Magazine that a well known author uses Dragon to dictate all their books. My previous understanding of Dragon, was that it was a bit hit and miss, but I am pretty much blown away by the accuracy and real-world usability, just considering dictation and the fact that you can train it to understand your voice better, is brilliant.

I was particular impressed, that when I made up the word Venuvian, I was able to spell the word and teach dragon how I pronounce it accurately, all without touching the keyboard and in probably a lot less then 1 minute.

It's not perfect but I think the more you use it, the better it becomes. I'm using it for creative writing, and I am finding that I can keep my head in the story and on the next sentence almost completely, while Dragon goes off and does it's thing.

Note that this is not like the iPhone app, which is good, because the recognition is generalised and does not adapt to your style of speech. Also, the voice commands to do corrections (i.e. Correct 'above') make simple, on-the-go, edits straight-fowards.

I am sure I'll have to edit by hand after I have the draft down, but for short documents and emails it would be fine and for first drafts of stories short (and seemingly long as well!), then it is a really useful tool.

I've vacillated between 4 and 5 stars and have gone 5 because it really deserves it, there are niggles, but they are not so large to chop off a whole star - maybe consider it 4.5 rather than 5.

The free headset (which I wasn't expected) was absolutely necessary, as the crappy in-built mic on my Lenovo S205 netbook, was too rubbish for Dragon to be able to recognise my speech. I've bought a Blue Yeti mic (arriving today I hope) which may be overkill, but I plan to do some voice recording as well anyway.

Just a note, the S205 is a powerful netbook, but Dragon did immediately turn the accuracy slider towards Speed and to the fastest and turned off voice commands. I've turned voice commands back on and turned up the accuracy and it is fine for me, but I wouldn't recommend a netbook with anything less than the AMD E-450 processor, although the E-300 might do as well tbh...

Happy Dictating!