Profile for Andy7 > Reviews

Content by Andy7

Andy7

Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)
Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the haters hate and moan, Meanwhile join me and thousands of others on something very fun., 31 Oct. 2015
In short 343 have really focused on fan feedback from 4 and MCC creating a game which not only makes you look like a super solder but move and fight like one too.

I can honestly say as someone who has loved halo from the start that this iterations multi-player is the most fun and enjoyable to date. It really feels like 343 have taken a lot from the overly harsh and in most cases earned backlash from 4 and MCC and really focused on making this game stick. Time will tell if the population stays but I know I for one will be giving my time to halo 5 this year (with a bit of fallout 4 mixed in :) ) .
Unfortunately on a slightly down note this focus on multi player and co-op has resulted in the single player being a bit under-developed ,the cut scenes do far to much of the storyline heavy lifting and we really don't get enough time with blue team, Halsey or the infinity. This game really needed two distinct campaigns running parallel and had that occurred this would have been the perfect halo game.

What gives this game its 5 stars however is this price , look at COD 2015 , Battlefront and every other shooter coming soon and find me one where the multi player Map DLC is free and the price tag is as low as 39 pounds (from Amazon). This game is a true bargain , good for the consumers, great for the players and IMHO amazing for the reputation of the industry, Well done 343.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2015 12:19 AM GMT

New Blood (HALO)
New Blood (HALO)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book starts to banish the ghost of Karen Traviss from the extended universe, a very good thing, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: New Blood (HALO) (Kindle Edition)
5 stars because I loved it pure and simple. Shorter than I would have liked but more than we the fan base deserved for our criticism of the original game , a game I still stand by as one of the best Bungie did as part of the halo series. Its nice to get some closure for some of the characters of ODST , as well as a nice non Karen viewpoint of the state of things between halo 3 and 4 even if its just a glimpse through the story telling of Buck. It Looks like fan service it smells like fan service it probably was intended as fan service (before HMCC ODST release) but as a fan I don't mind , MORE PLEASE.

The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage Trilogy Book 3)
The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage Trilogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome sequel with a bitter-sweet finish., 3 Mar. 2015
I've been with the series since the get go and although I had some doubts about the plot direction during the Crimson Campaign the Autumn Republic rewarded my faith in McClellan . To the Authors credit I have to say that he has really grasped the essence of real combat skirmishes feel like they are short, sharp and lethal while the battle chapters do a really good job of capturing the chaos of war and its human cost.

The best thing this book does is drive the plot-line to the final stop without compromising the integrity of the story, a feat that all good authors try but few succeeded in accomplishing. That being said I found the ending to be anticlimactic at first but upon sleeping on it I came to the conclusion that out of all the possible endings it fits the best and provides a good sense of closure even if it is a bit minimalistic and predictable.

The only real criticism I have to declare is that this book unfortunately suffers from a thing I call the Avengers Syndrome. To explain in a way that doesn't spoil the story I will minimise the use of names but in essence there are at least 4-5 Point of view main characters in this book. With each one competing for page space resulting in some of the Main characters barely getting a look in . The main losers in this page war were sadly Taniel and Ka-poel who could have been removed from the book entirely and wouldn't have impacted the story in any real way which is a shame really because I personally enjoyed there development the best out of all the other characters. This however does not affect my overall opinion of the book because I still believe that it deserves 5 stars for a damn fine piece of literature that ended a damn good series. May we see more from Brian McCellan in the future.

The Crimson Campaign: Book 2 in The Powder Mage Trilogy
The Crimson Campaign: Book 2 in The Powder Mage Trilogy
by Brian McClellan

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Captivating story - a Great read for people looking for something different., 9 May 2014
I just like to say I thank my lucky stars almost on a daily basis for stumbling onto promise of blood earlier this year, it really turned into a page turner for me and its sequel The Crimson Campaign did not disappoint in this regard. I finished this 500+ page book in just over 2 days as i could not force myself away from the powerful POV characters that McClellan has so careful constructed and shaped into this series. I don't want to spoil, so i'm not going to start reviewing the story but suffice to say the book continues near enough where the previous one left off and it really doesn't take long for consequences of certain decisions made in the Prequel to bear fruit and become center points in the story .

The only criticism i can make of this book is that the depth that made the first book so good is not as apparent(not missing entirely just not as often felt). In fact , certain parts/events of the book are quite shallow and lack impact because they feel as if they have been shoehorned in or cut down from their original size during editing , i certainly don't know if this actually happened but it feels as if this book was meant to be MUCH longer but was cut to size for publishing . I'm aware that this is quite common nowadays, particularly in the 2nd book of trilogy's but if Brian was to ever read this i'd beg him to reconsider this as a series rather than a strict trilogy, There is a mountain's worth of material in this universe and id hate to see the creative imagination cut down just to appease the editors . In review I Loved this book maybe not as much as i could have done but id happily give this 5 stars and a strong recommendation , despite some misgivings.

Halo: Mortal Dictata (Kilo-five Series (Halo))
Halo: Mortal Dictata (Kilo-five Series (Halo))
by Karen Traviss

3.0 out of 5 stars Everyone on the Halsey Hate-wagon, 5 Feb. 2014
Well that's the end of that trilogy and for the halo universe that we love so dearly that's not a bad thing , although I've generally liked Traviss work in the past , i feel like she has had no respect for any of the previous cannon established in both the expanded and mainstream universes. I feel that people should still read this book because it is still despite my misgivings a well written sci-fi story that is not purely focused on super soldiers killing aliens with big flashy guns, which is important because it helps us as the readers see more of the human element (both UNSC and the rebels) which is often overlooked in the games. The best thing about this novel is that it handles a scenario which has been kind of left in the air since the end of the war in halo 3 / Glass lands which is what if one of the parents unraveled the lies surrounding the spartan two project and had the means and was willing to start a galactic cold war to get his answers.
In contrast the worst thing it does is effectively throw Halsey from the highly secretive complex decision making character that we know and love into the worst war criminal humanity has ever had , now don't get me wrong shes no saint but from every character in the book we get a constant anti Halsey sentiment that's borderline fanaticism that only a very small number of characters in the franchise itself should legitimately have (and among this small number a lot of them do not). I really don't care how important you think your main characters are Karen they don't have the right to start determining the morality of the UNSC as a whole , a lot of authors and story writers from 2 company's have spent 10+ years establishing the UNSC as an edgy borderline military junta , that makes complex morally grey decisions because they need to be made for the good of the human race as a whole but this ties into my earlier point about the cannon. I have head mutterings of a new fictional contract which will hopefully lead to an author who is more respectful and more true to the established lore .

The Thousand Names: The Shadow Campaign (Shadow Campaign 1)
The Thousand Names: The Shadow Campaign (Shadow Campaign 1)
by Django Wexler

4.0 out of 5 stars A promising start, 15 Sept. 2013
While this genre may not be everyone's cup of tea I would highly recommend it to anyone who is sitting on the fence. For me I had no expectations of the thousand names when i picked it up and by the last page I found myself wanting more from the author. The hints of what could come from future novels frankly excite me. All in all a good (not perfect) start to what could be a very successful series.

Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

1.0 out of 5 stars A clear example of how a franchise can be ruined at the last hurdle, 12 Mar. 2012
To keep this short, The game play was much better than ME1 and 2 and the graphics have been updated , which overall has made the game look excellent as well as easy enough to get to grips with from the off. However there are still some bugs and visual impairments which occasionally pop up during cut scenes. story is solid and well written.(ofc its a bio ware game) Until the end which ties in quite nicely to the tittle of this post (The Ending Sucks). If you are a first time player and have not played the prequels then this last point wont be as relevant to you , but to a long term fan with multiple characters and over a hundred pounds and hours spent on the franchise of the three main games, its an insult. To avoid spoilers i wont elaborate any further . Yes the game is fun to play but in the end it was a massive disappointment and all because the writers slipped up on the ending (admittedly the hardest part of a story).