Profile for George Chen > Reviews

Content by George Chen

George Chen "http://GeorgeChen.tw" (Tainan, Taiwan)

Collins English Dictionary
Collins English Dictionary
by Collins Dictionaries
Price: 40.00

3.0 out of 5 stars How about an electronic version?, 3 Sep 2012
Collins English Dictionary is a good dictionary. Yes, it is! It is so good that I own each edition from the 6th to 10th edition. The idea to buy a newest 11th edition has formed in my mind for quite a while. With the release of the 9th edition, the publisher provided a free download of a Windows-based application for print version owners. The 10th edition was published at the time when mobile devices were growing in popularity. I was happy to have an iOS version of the 30th anniversary edition, i.e. the 10th edition, running on my iPhone 4 and iPad.

An electronic version, either Windows-based or iOS-based, has proven highly efficient, portable, and usable. It's hard for a user like me who feels completely at ease with electronic versions to go back to use a dictionary by turning pages. I've shelved my plan to buy an 11th edition pending a direct reply from the publisher. Unfortunately, the publisher remains indifferent to my query regarding the above question. I sent three emails to the customer support at HarperCollins Publishers last month. Nobody has replied to me so far. What's wrong with HarperCollins? Should I believe they keep publishing good dictionaries?