Profile for Pete Burden > Reviews

Content by Pete Burden

Pete Burden (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Powertraveller Powermonkey Classic 5V Portable Charger - Black
Powertraveller Powermonkey Classic 5V Portable Charger - Black
Offered by Hughes Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Micro USB problem, 1 Dec. 2014
Disappointing. Mainly because the micro USB adapter is always falling out. Have tried it on a couple of Android phones now. HTC and Samsung. Same result. I almost have to hold it in place to get it to charge.

Otherwise does what it says on the tin. But this is irritating.

The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age
The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age
by John Heider

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great, 30 Nov. 2014
An absolutely brilliant translation - well perhaps more of a paraphrasing, but if you like the Tao Te Ching and want to be able to apply these timeless teachings in the modern era this book is for you.

Written in plain English it really explains Taoist philosophy, and later chapters show how to apply the approach in groups.

So it is practical and concrete in our every-day lives as well as giving a generally applicable model for life.

Digital Inferno: Using Technology Consciously in Your Life and Work, 101 Ways to Survive and Thrive in a Hyperconnected World
by Paul Levy

5.0 out of 5 stars A wake-up call, 30 Nov. 2014
This is an important and timely book. Many of us really are addicted to our phones and other electronic devices. I know I am. I am drawn back to mine like a moth to a flame. Email, text, apps - whatever it is, I am hooked.

This book is a wake-up call - it shows that addiction in action. Through real-life case-studies. Through examples, many of which immediately ring true. It is hard to read this book and not recognise one's own behaviour.

It is well-written, entertaining, varied and an easy read. It is full of practical suggestions to change your behaviour. I really enjoyed it.

(Disclosure: I know Paul.)

Complexity and Organization: Readings and Conversations
Complexity and Organization: Readings and Conversations
by Robert Macintosh

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reflection by the editors, 7 Sept. 2014
Excellent book, great set of readings on complexity and organisations. Particularly enjoyed the dialogues between the editors - showing how their own thinking moved on over time.

MagNector - Magnetic Nexus 10 Pogo Charging Cable
MagNector - Magnetic Nexus 10 Pogo Charging Cable
Offered by 11 Street

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 7 Sept. 2014
Not great. After a couple of months a small piece of metal fell out of this. And the connector doesn't attach very securely now. For £20 for a cable I expect a lot better than this.

The 28 Laws of Attraction: Stop Chasing Success and Let It Chase You
The 28 Laws of Attraction: Stop Chasing Success and Let It Chase You

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jun. 2014
This is one of my favourite books. I first read it more than 15 years ago - in an older edition. I still pick it up and re-read it every year or so. There is a huge amount of wisdom in it - yes, it is hidden it its rather US-centric, coach- and sporting metaphor laden approach.

But try to get past that - and the examples many of which now seem very dated - and you will find real gems of wisdom.

As an other reviewer says, these ideas aren't always easy to implement. It is essential a process based on updating the way you think. And "it is much easier to act your way into a new way of thinking than than think you way into a new way of acting".

But with commitment and effort (and maybe enough desperation!) it is possible to implement many of these principles and have a happy, easier, more fulfilling life (blimey I sound a bit like the late Thomas Leonard - or at least the ghost writer!).

All in all well worth the money.

NEWLink 4 Port USB 2.0 Self Powered Hub (N14320)
NEWLink 4 Port USB 2.0 Self Powered Hub (N14320)
Offered by New IT limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Raspberry Pi, 31 May 2014
Works really well.

As other reviewers have mentioned it is possible to power the Raspberry Pi from one one of the 4 ports - by connecting it with a USB and micro-USB cable.

It comes with a USB A-B cable (the more common USB plug at one end and the squarer one at the other). The A-B cable runs from the Raspberry Pi (A) back into the Hub (B).

That leaves three ports free - for mouse, keyboard, whatever.

And a free USB port on the Raspberry Pi. The power seems to be needed though - I found I couldn't get three devices connected to the Raspberry Pi without this hub - so not sure whether that free USB port will always work.

USB Wifi Adapter for the Raspberry Pi - By New IT
USB Wifi Adapter for the Raspberry Pi - By New IT
Offered by The Pi Hut

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought I had a dodgy one of these, 31 May 2014
When I first got this I thought it might be faulty. It would work for a while and then disconnect, or the whole Raspberry Pi would freeze.

I even went as far as replacing it with a similar one. But that had the same problem. That was a clue :)

Unfortunately I had assumed that a Raspberry Pi would just work with any old USB hub. As I had two USB devices already, the mouse and keyboard, I connected these up using an old unpowered USB hub. I plugged the wifi adaptor into the spare USB port on the Pi.

It all worked for a while, then as I said would stop working.

The solution was to buy a powered USB hub. I bought one of these are now everything is fine. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GXR6XO

If you look it up you will find that the Raspberry Pi (not surprisingly) has little free power and seems to run out of steam without some additional power when being asked to drive lots of USB devices.

Ex-Pro® AV-Pro HDMI Audio Extractor [HDMI to RCA/3.5mm Jack for Audio]
Ex-Pro® AV-Pro HDMI Audio Extractor [HDMI to RCA/3.5mm Jack for Audio]
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Chromecast, 26 April 2014
Great little gadget.

As the other reviewer says, this works great with a Chromecast. Using with Google Play Music connected to an analog hifi. The device strips off the stereo audio channel.

It doesn't need any power - seems to take its power from the Chromecast device - this saves on the number of adapters I have plugged in.

The "HDMI in" port takes the Chromecast snugly. Left/right phono outputs connect to the amp. It also has a headphone socket.

In my view Chromecast is much better than connecting via bluetooth - less fiddly and better range (as using wifi). So I can take my phone into another room without losing the connection. Not sure whether there is buffering - but the music plays smoothly without interruption.

Also better than DLNA which I also tried - you have to install special software for that and it was a bit buggy - at least the versions I tried.

Neewer Black HDMI Input To VGA Adapter Converter For PC Laptop
Neewer Black HDMI Input To VGA Adapter Converter For PC Laptop
Offered by Mulitou-EU

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Samsung Chromebook, 24 Dec. 2013
This may well be a fine product but it does not work with my Samsung Arm/Exynos Chromebook.

For that Chromebook you need a ACTIVE converter - ie it needs power, which you can take from one of the Chromebook's USB ports.

This Cablematters one Cable Matters Active Female Adapter Black works great with my Samsung Chromebook (XE303).

I am giving the product only one star because the product description doesn't seem to explain this. It may work well with other products but please take care if you are using a Chromebook.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13