Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Pete Burden > Reviews

Content by Pete Burden

Pete Burden (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Smarthhw® Internal Battery for Samsung Google Nexus 10 N10 Table PC P8110 GT-P8110 HA32ARB GTP8110-HA32ARB SP3496A8H SP3496A8H(1S2P)
Offered by HaiHanwen Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - like having a new tablet., 5 May 2016
Very pleased with this product. It fitted my Nexus 10 perfectly. Shipped quickly, and was well wrapped.

It took me a while to realise the little triangular tool is best for opening the case, having tried and broken the spudger. But the triangular tool works well. Luckily I had another spudger and used that for the connectors inside.

It has taken a few days to reset the charge meter, but I was back to getting a full day on a single charge straight away. I also found that the tablet was not charging when turned on - but I simply plugged the tablet into a laptop USB port for a while - this seemed to reset the internal battery controller and it has been working brilliantly since.

The battery seems to be a genuine Samsung battery - it had the words Samsung on it anyway. This battery is also much cheaper than other apparently similar ones on Amazon.

Very pleased.

NEW Ecozone Ecoballs 1000 washes, NEW improved formula and performance, NEW softer wash balls
Offered by 123 DIRECT LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 18 Mar. 2016
Dreadful. Returned the first set, because one of the balls broke open.
The second set is even worse - a manufacturing fault which means the balls break open. This time two of the three balls.
Such a shame - we had the bigger Eco balls before and they were fine.

Informal Coalitions: Mastering the Hidden Dynamics of Organizational Change
Informal Coalitions: Mastering the Hidden Dynamics of Organizational Change
by Chris Rodgers

5.0 out of 5 stars News you can use, 24 Aug. 2015
I tend to like books which give me something I can use practically.

As all the other reviewers have said this book describes a reality I can accept - that power and politics are real, that organisational life is messy, that what we say to each other counts. And that we pretend otherwise at our peril.

And this understanding for me leads directly to things I can do, ways I can change my practice, ideas for different ways to operate in business life.

I met Chris a couple of years back and was immediately impressed. Reading this book to better understand his ideas did not disappoint.

Dialogic Organization Development: The Theory and Practice of Transformational Change
by Gervase R. Bushe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - legitimising talk as action, 22 Aug. 2015
I really enjoyed this book.

The authors reveal in the last chapter than many of the contributors felt a sense of relief at meeting and discovering each other’s practice through the process of writing. I had the same sense - reading the book gave me a sense of legitimacy about my practice over many years that I have not found elsewhere.

I loved the focus on conversation, language and narrative. It is great to see this in such a mainstream book about management, leadership and change. For example, it is refreshing to see the focus on ‘non-doing’ given our usual obsession in conventional management and leadership on action. At last ‘talk’ gets its proper understanding as a really important form of action.

The book brings together in one place the work of many wonderful scholars and practitioners of a more dialogical way of doing OD.

It is very well written and clear - the essays are all different, but well edited, so the voices remain different, even while the quality is even.

I liked many of the chapters, but that of Ralph Stacey, Nancy Southern, and the ones on coaching and consulting at the end stood out.

I liked the earlier parts of the book a little less. Maybe it was necessary to make the distinction between diagnostic OD (focussed on changing behaviour) and the more dialogical form the authors support but there is a lot of repetition.

At times in the early part of the book I also thought that the emphasis on presenting lists of features and describing new structures took us away from the emergent nature of the dialogical process.

This included what seemed to me to be an offered schema - that organisational change depends on having disruptive events, new narratives, and generative images. I am sure these are useful - but when they become ‘mandated’, I respond with scepticism.

I also got the sense in the earlier chapters that some writers were still seeing the ‘organisation as a thing’ which can be changed from the outside, despite their protestations to the contrary. Labelling it a container for example is still, for me, labelling.

There also seemed to be talk of an ‘ideal container’. Can organisations be improved - changed from a ‘not so good’ thing to a ‘better’ thing? That doesn’t seem to quite fit the model the editors and authors propose.

This, for me, was all corrected, in the later chapters - I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I read the Stacey chapter. Immediately I was shifted more to an understanding of organisation as a fluid and flexible ‘containment of conversations’ - which I find much more appealing.

It was interesting to me that despite the focus on narrative and communication there was little mention of ways of speaking (e.g. SAVI, NVC etc etc). I understood the rationale - that the formulaic nature of these can get in the way. And that dialogue is not a privileged form of speaking - but a normal one.

But I also felt that people reading this book will need to know what to do - how to operationalise these ideas. And the gift of such approaches, and, for example, Carl Rogers’s core conditions, is that they give us ways to notice our own ways of speaking, and then perhaps the possibility of changing them.

There was also little mention of human developmental processes. Maybe a nod in the direction of Kegan and Lahey, and Bill Torbert might have added something? And there could of been more on the somatic side of things - Eugene Gendlin?

There was very little attention paid to what I guess are the underlying sources of a lot of this - eg group analytic theory, of Foulkes etc.

And one final omission - a mention of the work of Mary Parker Follett in the 1920s and 1930s writing, for example, about increasing differentiation before seeking integration. Core, I believe, to the project of dialogue.

But you can’t fit everything in one book - and it’s a great book overall - thank you.

Key points about dialogical OD:

Reality/relationships are socially constructed
Organisations are meaning making ‘systems’
Language matters
Conversations need to change for there to be change
Participation counts/we are immersed
Change is continuous, we're in flux
Change cannot be planned (intention is important). But planning may get in the way of change.
Change is heterarchical - multi-source. Not hierarchical.
Consultants are part of the process - my narrative counts.

Mary Parker Follett: Ideas We Need Today
Mary Parker Follett: Ideas We Need Today

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy access to the work of the Prophet of Management, 3 May 2015
Absolutely marvellous collection of Follett quotes and ideas.

Mary Parker Follett is a marvel. But some of her work is a little inaccessible.

This book makes her central ideas really easy to grasp and interrogate.

It is organised well and the selections are just the right length. Great stuff.

Conversation Transformation: Recognize and Overcome the 6 Most Destructive Communication Patterns
by Ben Benjamin

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book on common communication flaws, 3 May 2015
Great book. The little vignettes describing common communication problems are very recognisable (to me at least). They are engaging and motivating stories - encouraging change.

Every chapter also has exercises describing how to change your own behaviour, to respond to others behaviour, and to coach others too.

The exercises are very comprehensive which could make the whole book seem a little long and cumbersome. But you can skip if you just want to grasp the ideas and practice later.

Powertraveller Powermonkey Classic 5V Portable Charger - Black
Powertraveller Powermonkey Classic 5V Portable Charger - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Micro USB problem, 1 Dec. 2014
Disappointing. Mainly because the micro USB adapter is always falling out. Have tried it on a couple of Android phones now. HTC and Samsung. Same result. I almost have to hold it in place to get it to charge.

Otherwise does what it says on the tin. But this is irritating.

Update: I have now stopped using this product. Really useless unless i can trust the connector to stay connected.

The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age
The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age
by John Heider

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great, 30 Nov. 2014
An absolutely brilliant translation - well perhaps more of a paraphrasing, but if you like the Tao Te Ching and want to be able to apply these timeless teachings in the modern era this book is for you.

Written in plain English it really explains Taoist philosophy, and later chapters show how to apply the approach in groups.

So it is practical and concrete in our every-day lives as well as giving a generally applicable model for life.

Digital Inferno: Using Technology Consciously in Your Life and Work, 101 Ways to Survive and Thrive in a Hyperconnected World
by Paul Levy

5.0 out of 5 stars A wake-up call, 30 Nov. 2014
This is an important and timely book. Many of us really are addicted to our phones and other electronic devices. I know I am. I am drawn back to mine like a moth to a flame. Email, text, apps - whatever it is, I am hooked.

This book is a wake-up call - it shows that addiction in action. Through real-life case-studies. Through examples, many of which immediately ring true. It is hard to read this book and not recognise one's own behaviour.

It is well-written, entertaining, varied and an easy read. It is full of practical suggestions to change your behaviour. I really enjoyed it.

(Disclosure: I know Paul.)

Complexity and Organization: Readings and Conversations
Complexity and Organization: Readings and Conversations
by Robert Macintosh

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reflection by the editors, 7 Sept. 2014
Excellent book, great set of readings on complexity and organisations. Particularly enjoyed the dialogues between the editors - showing how their own thinking moved on over time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13