Profile for Orna G > Reviews

Content by Orna G

Orna G "Book O'Phile" (Veneto, Italy.)

Page: 1 | 2
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. [DVD]
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring., 1 Jan. 2016
I'm sorry if I upset any Guy Richie fans out there, but this movie is so incredibly boring that I fell asleep half way through. I love Henry Cavill to bits, but even he couldn't save this movie from the doldrums.

The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery
The Troubled Man: A Kurt Wallander Mystery
by Henning Mankell

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing end to a brilliant series., 25 Aug. 2014
A disappointing end to a brilliant series. I cannot describe how deflated and let down I felt at the end of this book. I know well that Wallander was created by Henning Mankell to do with as he pleases, but I was an ardent fan and hated that it all ended so abruptly.

Head over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy
Head over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy
by Chris Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable and hilariously funny read., 25 Aug. 2014
This is an exceptionally well written book; very amusing and interesting. It is about the author's love for a beautiful Italian woman and his subsequent move to southern Italy. All his trials and tribulations are covered in laugh-out-loud fashion. I enjoyed this book so much I have recommended it to all my Italophile friends and even read it twice myself.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner
by Elizabeth Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and disturbing., 25 Aug. 2014
Brilliant and disturbing; I couldn't put this book down.

Zen [DVD]
Zen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rufus Sewell

5.0 out of 5 stars Why no more episodes? Tragic., 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Zen [DVD] (DVD)
I cannot understand why this marvellous series did not continue. I absolutely loved it.

TRIXES Black TPU Clip Gel Case for Apple iPod Nano 7th Generation Cover Shell
TRIXES Black TPU Clip Gel Case for Apple iPod Nano 7th Generation Cover Shell
Offered by Digiflex

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly designed., 25 Aug. 2014
Unfortunately, a bad design flaw makes the leads difficult/impossible to plug in while it's attached.

Quartet [DVD]
Quartet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly boring., 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Quartet [DVD] (DVD)
I'm afraid I got quite bored with this movie. However, it's very light and probably perfect if you want something completely frivolous to watch.

Summertime aka Summer Madness [1955] [DVD]
Summertime aka Summer Madness [1955] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Katharine Hepburn

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly, 25 Aug. 2014
Fluffy and a bit silly, to be honest. Sorry!

When the Dawn Breaks
When the Dawn Breaks
by Anne Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting., 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: When the Dawn Breaks (Paperback)
This was one of those books that you just cannot put down. I absolutely loved it. The early part of the book is about the childhood romance between the local doctor's daughter, Isabel, and a humble crofter Archie. Archie's sister Jessie, the other heroine of the story, longs to be a nurse and Isabel plans to become a doctor. Their three lives intertwine during the outbreak of The Great War in France and Serbia. This book brought a piece of history, about which I knew very little, to life and it contained the sort of twist in the tale that made it a fast-paced read.

Five Days
Five Days

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing read., 15 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Five Days (Kindle Edition)
Having read, enjoyed immensely and recommended Douglas Kennedy's books to all my family and friends over many years, I was deeply disappointed by Five Days. Other than Leaving the World, a previous book of Mr. Kennedy's, I have found his books to have an engrossing storyline and to be written in an engaging style. Who will forget such wonderful books as The Dead Heart, The Job, The Big Picture and Pursuit of Happiness; all an absolute pleasure to read and alive with vibrant characters. It is difficult to imagine that this book was written by the same author, who has managed, in Five Days, to create two of the most uninteresting central book characters in living memory. Laura and Richard have two major things in common: first of all, they are both unbelievably boring. Secondly, they share a love of showing off their prowess with the English language by discussing synonyms at length, as well as obscure historical details of Portland, Maine. When I read the first paragraph of chapter five: "Synonyms for 'random': 'unselected', 'irregular', 'chance', 'by hazard', 'happenstantial'." I knew I was reaching the end of my patience and barely lasted a further ten pages before I had to give up trying to find any pleasure in this excruciatingly boring book. For Mr. Kennedy to propound on the English language at such length and then to sprinkle the text with the non-word "gotten" made the book twice as frustrating. If I sound as if I am being hard on the author, it is because I know he is more than capable of producing top-class, readable books and I am truly disappointed with this effort.

Page: 1 | 2