ARRAY(0xa9df9378)

Profile for Petra James > Reviews

Content by Petra James

Petra James (Manchester, England)

Goodbye, Mr. Wonderful: Alcoholism, Addiction and Early Recovery
Goodbye, Mr. Wonderful: Alcoholism, Addiction and Early Recovery
by Chris McCully
Price: 17.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello happiness..., 29 Jun 2013
I read this book when I first started stopping drinking. It helped me to put down the drink completely and stay stopped. I now read it once a year to remind me of how I felt when I first started on the road to recovery. Its an inspiring book. Gritty and realistic. I have bought it for others and recommended it many times as it spoke to me. Chris may not be telling your exact story, but he certainly will be telling bits of it. I recommend it to anyone who wants to find sobriety both emotional and physical. Thanks Chris.

The Ultimate 5:2 Diet Recipe Book: Easy, Calorie Counted Fast Day Meals You'll Love
by Kate Harrison
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Inspiring, 29 Jun 2013
I am a big fan of this diet, having tried every diet ever known and fallen by the wayside (or into the chippy) after a month or so. The reason I love this diet is I CAN go to the chippy if I want - as long as I restrict my calorie intake on two days of the week. I have lost around a pound a week over the last 20 weeks and think this might be a keeper! I got into 5:2 from the original Horizon programme then I read Michael Moseley's book. Then I got Kate's original 5:2 diet book which I found very easy to understand, she even keeps the science simple. To be honest I don't really care how it works, I just care that it works. The age old problem is what to eat on your 500 calorie fast days. At first, like many others I stuck to ready meals which is pretty much against my principles as I do like to cook from scratch. So this book is a godsend and has already become a bit dog-eared from use. There are some great ideas, I love cauliflower rice which I use all the time and the soups are fabulous too. Especially butternut squash and sweet potato. I like the soups the chilli and the Bolognese sauces because I can cook them on a feast day and then re-heat on a fast day, meaning I don't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The facebook community is fabulous too, with lots of helpful tips. I recommend this book for anyone embarking on the 5:2 way of eating and to those who have been on it a while and need some great ideas and motivation. Thanks Kate!

The Fast Diet: The secret of intermittent fasting - lose weight, stay healthy, live longer
Price: 2.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book from the guy who did the Horizon programme, 27 Feb 2013
This is a good book but I didn't find it as easy to read as Kate Harrison's version.
However this was the guy that really kicked it all off in the UK with his Horizon programme, I suggest if you love the science buy this, if you want the easy step by step how to guide then go for Kate's version.

The 5:2 Diet Book: Feast for 5 Days a Week and Fast for 2 to Lose Weight, Boost Your Brain and Transform Your Health
by Kate Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars AM - AZ- ING!, 27 Feb 2013
This is a clear 'how it works' manual for the 5:2 diet, written in easy to understand and readable language. I wanted to try this because I have Type 2 diabetes and had seen the Horizon programme about intermittent fasting. In four weeks I have lost 8 pounds without stress and more importantly my blood sugar has gone down by 5 points. I hasten to add that I don't take medication. Anyone who takes medication should check with their GP. Its easy to keep to and the fact that you can have feast days means that weekends are fun again. There is a thriving facebook community who share recipes and tips and help solve each others diet dilemmas. Its actually made dieting fun. How can that happen??. Well done Kate, believe me, I have read loads of dieting books, been on hundreds of diets and so far this one wins. Maybe it will be my last diet ever, that would be great. I can see it becoming a way of life.

Face Powder by BeneFit Cosmetics Dandelion Pink Perk Me Up
Face Powder by BeneFit Cosmetics Dandelion Pink Perk Me Up
Offered by Simply Beauty
Price: 36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perk yourself up with this!, 27 Feb 2013
I was told about this product by an air stewardess who said all the girls used it. After a long flight when their skin looked tired they gave it a quick dusting of this and voila! Bright and fresh looking skin.
It works.

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and heartwarming, 18 Nov 2012
I bought this book after hearing the publicity on Radio 4. Half expected it to be churned out drivel. How wrong could I be? It's lovely, and very well written. When I think of the fortune made by the dross that was fifty shades this was such a pleasant surprise. I do hope this author continues to write more books. She should be charging more for them as well! Well done Hilary. Menopause Lit is the way to go!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ice grippers EVER!, 12 Feb 2012
These may not be the most wildly fashionable snow boots but boy are they effective! I have a very expensive pair of sturdy walking boots that left me skidding across the ice like a celebrity in their first week of dancing on ice... very scary. Then I got these and I don't know how or why they work but they do. They have a really firm grip on the ice and I didn't slip. I walk my dog a lot and lots of people who were clinging to fences and gates have asked me why I wasn't skidding about. I must have sold about 20 pairs and I don't even work for them. If you are scared of slipping, get a pair of these. A great investment for getting about.

The Long Second (The Cole Trilogy, Part 1)
The Long Second (The Cole Trilogy, Part 1)
Price: 1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I declare an interest!, 22 Sep 2011
OK, firstly I declare my interest. I used to work with Chris Buckley and he is a friend. Having said that, if this book was terrible I would have just not posted a review. I'd have made my excuses and left...as they say. However, I bought the book because of loyalty to Chris, its not a genre I would normally read. I was really pleasantly surprised. It is a first novel and therefore perhaps would have benefited from the services of a professional editor. Having said that the characters are well drawn. Particularly the two brothers and the Father. I actually cared what happened to them. The plot is pacey and keeps you turning the pages to find out what's next. The novel is part of a trilogy. I won't go into storyline you can read that elsewhere. All I can say is I downloaded the next book in the trilogy - Broken - because I wanted to know how the lead character fared - nuff said - download and enjoy, and never underestimate the talents of your friends!!

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Lighted Leather Cover, Apple Green (only fits Kindle Keyboard)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but very pricey!, 22 Sep 2011
I only gave this item 3 stars - not because there is anything wrong with the product but the price is extortionate. It does what it says on the tin, nice cover which protects the Kindle and which gives you a night light. The light runs off the battery life of the Kindle. its lovely, its great - it should have been around 30-35. Hopefully as the more advanced Kindles appear this cover should be compatible with them, otherwise it will be a rip off!

Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men
Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men
by Lundy Bancroft
Price: 10.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, 4 Jun 2010
Just read this book, if you are in any doubt at all that you are being abused, it will clarify things for you. If you think for one minute that just because you are not being physically attacked (yet) that you are not being subjected to abuse, read this book. Its clear, informative, actually makes you laugh in parts - especially when you recognise some behaviours. Hopefully it will give you strength and support and help you realise that ITS NOT YOUR FAULT!! I, like other reviewers gasped in recognition when I read certain chapters. Buy it,read it,even if you are too scared to keep it at home in case he sees it. Find a way. It will change your life. Good Luck